God's Name Found in the Greek Scriptures under θεόν (theon).

Comments

• Pages
    Pages Posts: 330

@Brother Rando

"The Phrase θεὸν λόγον is completely absent from the Bible."

That is correct, but is irrelevant to your stated proposition; a proposition that is open, broad, and universal, without any limit placed upon it.

Your stated position on θεὸν centers entirely on this, "But θεόν (theon) refers to only to the True God as in (John 17:3). θεόν (theon) is a superlative title given to Jehovah alone.", and without limitation. 

Under that declaration "τὸν ἐν Δελφοῖσι θεὸν" (the Delphian god) and θεὸν λόγον (God-Logos) are perfectly acceptable; as are any other referent of θεὸν found in literature.

So, hypothetically, you might choose then to modify your statement to target scripture specifically; unfortunately however, whether modified or not, scripture is not at all your best friend regarding your proposition.

For, against that premise stands these two passages (Acts 19:37, 28:6); which, your proposition, when applied, will ultimately assert that Artemis and Paul are both then Jehovah(s). On this basis alone, the promoted thesis fails to be sustainable even with a hypothetical modification to it.

Finally then, you also lack any support for this contrived narrative within grammatical and lexical properties of the Greek language.

From the above, it can be stated that scripture, literature, and the Greek language, are all established witnesses against the error of this created narrative – "But θεόν (theon) refers to only to the True God as in (John 17:3). θεόν (theon) is a superlative title given to Jehovah alone.".   

• Brother Rando
    Brother Rando Posts: 1,328

@Pages From the above, it can be stated that scripture, literature, and the Greek language, are all established witnesses against the error of this created narrative – "But θεόν (theon) refers to only to the True God as in (John 17:3). θεόν (theon) is a superlative title given to Jehovah alone.".  

Jesus did not worship the false gods of Artemis. He worshipped and prayed to his God and Father. Jesus referred to His Father as the only true God (theon) in (John 17:3) Therefore, θεόν (theon) is a superlative title given to Jehovah alone

“I am Jehovah your God, who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of slavery.  You must not have any other gods besides me." (Exodus 20:2-3)

Thankful for Google transliterates יהוה in English as Jehovah. Visit JW.org about whom Jesus Christ calls the Only True God in (John 17:3)

• Pages

@Brother Rando

"Jesus did not worship the false gods of Artemis. He worshipped and prayed to his God and Father."

I fully respect and agree with your sentiment that Jesus did not worship Artemis; and instead gave worship to his Father, God. 

In what lexical source do you find it stated that θεόν, itself, is a "superlative title" reserved for only Jehovah alone? 

It has been stated repeatedly throughout the course of our exchanges in this thread that there is a grammatical reason for the inflection of words within Greek. Pointedly, God (θεός) written in the accusative form (θεόν) is making known that the word is most likely functioning as an object of either a preposition or verb.

An example of this is a text you mentioned in the last post on page one of this thread – Jn. 1:18. In that text the accusative is used because the first instance of the word God is the object of the verb ἑώρακεν – perfectly in line with grammar for this language.    

At this time I believe a look at the OT via the LXX is warranted to see if there are instances where θεόν finds a referent in someone other than Jehovah, Himself

We have Moses in Ex. 4:16, 7:1.

We have Baal-berith in Judges 8:33.

We have Dagon in 1 Sam. 5:7.

We have Baal-zbub, god of Ekron in 2 Ki. 1:2-3, 6, 16.

We have Nebuchadnezzar in Judith 3:8.

• "so that all nations should worship Nebuchadnezzar alone and that all their dialects and tribes should call upon him as a god." (NRSVUE)

We have a foreign god in Ps. 44:20 (43:21 LXX). 

The above text is a wonderful lesson on how your assertion fails. "God" (Jehovah) in the first instance is the genitive θεοῦ, and the following "a foreign god" is θεὸν ἀλλότριον. In this same text there are two supernatural beings, Jehovah and a foreign god; where, Jehovah is not the referent of θεόν; rather, it is instead some foreign god who is the referent of θεόν.

We have a dead child in Wisd. of Sol. 14:15.

• "For a father, distressed by untimely grief, making an image of the child so quickly taken away, at that time honored the dead person as a god" (LES 2nd Edition)

We have a futile god (clay image) in Wisd. of Sol. 15:8.

• "And perversely he forms a fruitless god out of the same clay" (LES 2nd Edition)

We have multiple gods in Jonah 1:5.

We have an idol in Is. 44:10, 17.

These OT LXX texts above, along with two NT texts, Greek literature, and early christian writings, presented to you – all serve to invalidate your claim that θεόν will be used only if referring to Jehovah, and θεόν belongs to Jehovah alone without exception. It is noticeable also that your claim is completely lacking in grammar and dictionary support for θεόν being a "superlative title" reserved for Jehovah alone.

• Brother Rando
    edited January 15

@Pages I fully respect and agree with your sentiment that Jesus did not worship Artemis; and instead gave worship to his Father, God. 

In what lexical source do you find it stated that θεόν, itself, is a "superlative title" reserved for only Jehovah alone? 

Interesting enough, you still avoid the words of Jesus Christ and fight hard to nullify them as a trinitarian. You're more than willing to die on that hill only to lose out on eternal life. Fight away, give all you have if you like.

• Jesus addressed His Father as the only true God  θεὸν in (John 17:3)
    • Again Jesus admitted and claimed the Father is GREATER than I am (John 14:28)
    • The Apostle Paul stated "Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God  θεὸν  through our Lord Jesus Christ:" (Romans 5:1)

All your arguments against Jesus Christ addressing His Father as the only true God  θεὸν in (John 17:3) fall short. Try all you like, but it will not result in eternal life. I also tried reasoning with you and @Keep_Smiling_4_Jesus Christ about Moses in Exodus 7:1 and both of you rejected it because of the letter (a) for "a god" as it is in (John 1:1)  In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God θεὸν , and the Word was a god θεός.

@Pages An example of this is a text you mentioned in the last post on page one of this thread – Jn. 1:18. In that text the accusative is used because the first instance of the word God is the object of the verb ἑώρακεν – perfectly in line with grammar for this language.   

The same grammar rule also applies to

• (John 1:1) In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God θεὸν , and the Word was a god θεός.
    • (John 1:18)  No man has seen God θεὸν at any time; the only-begotten god θεός who is at the Father’s side is the one who has explained Him.

The only begotten god is the one who is called Firstborn of All Creation. In the Beginning was what? The Word. Therefore, “This is what the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the originator of God’s creation, says:

Originator in context of this scripture means "the ruler" or "the beginning" or "the source"

"But θεόν (theon) refers to only to the True God as in (John 17:3). θεόν (theon) is a superlative title given to Jehovah alone."

• τὸν θεόν is not co-equal any god
    • τὸν θεόν is not begotten but eternal and ALWAYS existed
    • τὸν θεόν is not "the beginning" or "Firstborn of All Creation"

Just like the Earth was Born, so was the Firstborn of All Creation, the only-begotten god θεός came "to be" - Ego eimi ( Ancient Greek: ἐγώ εἰμι [eɡɔ̌ː eːmí]) " I am ", " I exist ", is the first person singular present active indicative of the verb "to be" in ancient Greek.

Thankful for Google transliterates יהוה in English as Jehovah. Visit JW.org about whom Jesus Christ calls the Only True God in (John 17:3)

• Pages
    edited January 16

@Brother Rando

"Interesting enough, you still avoid the words of Jesus Christ and fight hard to nullify them as a trinitarian. You're more than willing to die on that hill only to lose out on eternal life. Fight away, give all you have if you like." 

"Jesus addressed His Father as the only true God θεὸν in (John 17:3)"

This is the response to the question I asked you, what lexical resource did you use that states θεόν is a "superlative title" reserved for for only Jehovah alone?

"The Apostle Paul stated "Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God θεὸν through our Lord Jesus Christ:" (Romans 5:1)"

What is the intent of the above? God (θεόν) is the object of the preposition "with". You demonstrate a complete lack of regard for grammar as being a necessary component to make good on your proposition for θεόν.

"All your arguments against Jesus Christ addressing His Father as the only true God θεὸν in (John 17:3) fall short."

A futile attempt to make this into me arguing "against Jesus Christ addressing His Father as the only true God"; my argument is against this stated proposition, "But θεόν (theon) refers to only to the True God as in (John 17:3). θεόν (theon) is a superlative title given to Jehovah alone.", and only that. θεόν is neither a "superlative title" nor is it exclusive to Jehovah alone.

As witnessed throughout this thread your proposition has not withstood the scrutiny given it. You have neither provided grammatical or lexical support for that assertion; and scripture, itself, shows your claim regarding θεόν is false. Not to mention early christian writings and Greek literature as also demonstrating the false nature of that same assertion. 

The support provided for your thesis, "But θεόν (theon) refers to only to the True God as in (John 17:3). θεόν (theon) is a superlative title given to Jehovah alone."; has been, and still is, non-existent.

What do you not comprehend about the nature of the accusative in Greek grammar? Further, what do you not comprehend about θεόν having in scripture other referents than Jehovah, and the impact that has on your stated position that θεόν only, and ever, refers to Jehovah?

In my view, and in plain language, your proposition is a complete bust.

"I also tried reasoning with you and @Keep_Smiling_4_Jesus Christ about Moses in Exodus 7:1 and both of you rejected it because of the letter (a) for "a god" as it is in (John 1:1)"

The above is a perfect example of my point. The assertion you, yourself, make is that θεόν "refers to only to the True God" and that θεόν "is a superlative title given to Jehovah alone."; therefore, by your own standard which you still defend, Moses is Jehovah

Can you not comprehend what your own statement theologically implies? Any referent of θεόν, whether Jehovah or not, is, according to your assertion, truly Jehovah. Additionally, any writings translated into the Greek language where an occurrence of θεόν exists grammatically would, according to your premise, indicate that Jehovah is referenced. 

From this it occurs to me that what you have accomplished in this error is to impose a relativism of God using the Greek language. Your original intent was to use this proposition to attack the trinity doctrine regarding the Son, Jesus; but, have now instead made various referents of θεόν, Jehovah. The list so far includes, Jesus, Paul, Artemis, Delphian god, Moses, Baal, Dagon, Nebuchadnezzar, dead child, idol, clay image, foreign god, etc.

In my view, based on actual evidence presented, your stated position is in error and remains false.

• Brother Rando

@Pages "Jesus addressed His Father as the only true God θεὸν in (John 17:3)" This is the response to the question I asked you, what lexical resource did you use that states θεόν is a "superlative title" reserved for for only Jehovah alone?

Yes. Jehovah alone is Most High there is no other.

• “That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAHart the most high over all the earth.” (Ps 83:18)
    • "Jesus addressed His Father as the only true God θεὸν in (John 17:3)"
    • Jesus is the Son of God θεὸν. (John 1:49)

• Pages

@Brother Rando

"Yes. Jehovah alone is Most High there is no other."

Keep in mind that I am not arguing against terms and titles being used to express Yahweh's greatness, uniqueness, and incomprehensibleness; I am explicitly arguing against your assertion that θεόν carries some special meaning not given to θεός, and is only used when referring to Jehovah, and Jehovah alone. All of which has been proven false time and again throughout this thread.  

Now, the question I asked was the following:

What lexical resource did you use that states θεόν is a "superlative title" reserved for only Jehovah

What is meant by the phrase lexical resource is a Greek lexicon providing definitions given to the dictionary word form entry. It will, in addition, also be interesting to find out which lexicon you used having θεόν as a separate word entry from its dictionary form θεός.

It has been demonstrated within scripture itself there are a number of people, and gods, who are all referents of θεὸν in addition to Yahweh; and, that number of other referents besides Yahweh increases dramatically once outside of scripture. In preceding posts a number of those texts were provided establishing that θεὸν in its usage is not at all reserved for Jehovah alone.

“That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth. (Ps 83:18)"

How exactly does the above relate to your asserted position regarding θεόν? 

"Jesus addressed His Father as the only true God θεὸν in (John 17:3)"

No, I disagree, Jesus in Jn.17:1 addresses his Father as "πάτερ" stating "the hour has come" and requesting of Him to "glorify your Son". It is in Jn.17:3 that Jesus states the following, "And this is eternal life", defining eternal life by this statement, "that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ", which is not an address; but rather, a declaration.

"Jesus is the Son of God θεὸν. (John 1:49)"

You ought to examine the Greek text of Jn. 1:49 again as it is the genitive θεοῦ. 

"ἀπεκρίθη αὐτῷ Ναθαναήλ· ῥαββί, σὺ εἶ ὁ υἱὸς τοῦ θεοῦ, σὺ βασιλεὺς εἶ τοῦ Ἰσραήλ."

• Brother Rando
    edited January 28

@Pages

@Brother Rando

"Yes. Jehovah alone is Most High there is no other."

@Pages Keep in mind that I am not arguing against terms and titles being used to express Yahweh's greatness, uniqueness, and incomprehensibleness; I am explicitly arguing against your assertion that θεόν carries some special meaning not given to θεός, and is only used when referring to Jehovah, and Jehovah alone. 

For one I used “That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth. (Ps 83:18)"

• whose name alone is JEHOVAH -the word ALONE means just that- ALONE
    • most high over all the earth 'the words MOST HIGH - mean most high and there is none equal to him

"Jesus addressed His Father as the only true God θεὸν in (John 17:3)"

@Pages No, I disagree, Jesus in Jn.17:1 addresses his Father as "πάτερ" stating "the hour has come" and requesting of Him to "glorify your Son". It is in Jn.17:3 that Jesus states the following, "And this is eternal life", defining eternal life by this statement, "that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ", which is not an address; but rather, a declaration.

If want to disagree with Jesus Christ that's on you. For Jesus Christ was ADDRESSING and His God and Father and made a formal plea to him to glorify your Son. Since Jesus applied the superlative title θεὸν to his Father as the only true God θεὸν in (John 17:3) it remains accurate and true.

• ONLY can mean One and ONLY and also YOU ALONE
    • You, the One and ONLY true God θεὸν (John 17:3)
    • You, alone are the true God θεὸν (John 17:3) The word monos means alone and only...
    • “That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth. (Ps 83:18)"

Jesus Christ was pleading with the Father Jn.17:1 addresses his Father as "πάτερ" stating "the hour has come" and requesting of Him to "glorify your Son" which the Father granted him. "After this I saw another angel descending from heaven with great authority, and the earth was illuminated by his glory." (Rev 18:1)

• angels are 'sons' of the true God (Psalm 89:6 - Genesis 6:2 - Genesis 6:4)
    • For who in the sky is equal to Yahweh? Who is like Yahweh among the sons of God,
    •  Then the sons of God saw the daughters of humankind, that they were beautiful. And they took for themselves wives from all that they chose.
    • The Nephilim were upon the earth in those days, and also afterward, when the sons of God went into the daughters of humankind, and they bore children to them. These were the mighty warriors that were from ancient times, men of ⌊renown⌋.

angels Psalm Job 97:7 (ᵐ5 ᵑ6 Calv; but gods, Hup De Pe Che); compare בני (ה)אלהים = (thesons of God, or sons of gods = angels Job 1:6Job 2:1Job 38:7Genesis 6:2,4 

• (thesons of God, are the angels that manifested in the flesh to take on wives to bare offspring
    •  sons of gods are the OFFSPRING which were called Giants. Mighty Warriors or Nephilim.

"Jesus is the Son of God θεὸν. (John 1:49)"

@Pages You ought to examine the Greek text of Jn. 1:49 again as it is the genitive θεοῦ. 

Yes.... Jesus is the SON of θεὸν which makes him (a god) as in the only-begotten god which is in the genitive sense.

Notice this quote that comes from the Book of Joel which means 'Jehovah is God'. In reply Jesus which means 'Jehovah is Salvation' said to him: “It is written, ‘It is Jehovah your God (τὸν Θεόν) you must worship, and it is to him alone you must render sacred service.’” (Luke 4:8)

• which means 'Jehovah is Salvation' inserted by BroRando
    • How do I know that Jesus Christ quotes this? He stated (It is Written)
    • Jehovah: In this quote from De 6:13, the divine name, represented by four Hebrew consonants (transliterated YHWH), occurs in the original Hebrew text.​ Take a look at (Isaiah 42:8) quote the Hebrew Script and what does it say in ENGLISH?

• Pages
    edited January 31

@Brother Rando

"For one I used “That men may know that thou, whose name alone is JEHOVAH, art the most high over all the earth. (Ps 83:18)"

Alright, according to your response you're not aware of any lexicon stating what you have asserted from the beginning in this thread regarding θεὸν, nor did you consult any lexicon. 

The assertion then is solely derived from your understanding of Ps. 83:18; Jn. 17:3 and then importing those thoughts onto the accusative form of θεός creating an unsupported artificial rule of grammar, and definition, that has become your asserted claim regarding θεὸν.

Did you not think to search for all uses of θεὸν in both the NT and LXX to verify the resulting data would corroborate your initial thought prior to making this assertion found below? (this will be revisited at the end)

• "But θεόν (theon) refers to only to the True God as in (John 17:3). θεόν (theon) is a superlative title given to Jehovah alone.".

That assertion as written is dead on arrival, so to speak, for it completely fails in all areas. It is failing on grammatical and lexical grounds regarding θεός in its accusative form. In the interest of logic it also fails when tested by using either scripture or non-scriptural texts.

Scripture is quite clear that in addition to Yahweh many others are also the referent of θεόν.  Ex. 4:16, 7:1; Judges 8:33; 1 Sam. 5:7; 2 Ki. 1:2-3, 6, 16; Judith 3:8; Ps. 44:20; Wisd. 14:15, 15:8; Jonah 1:5; Is. 44:10, 17; Acts 19:37, 28:6. (NRSV) 

Need I also remind you of the "Delphian God" (τὸν ἐν Δελφοῖσι θεὸν) and other gods being the referent of θεὸν in Greek literature. Even in early church period writing you can find τὸν Θεὸν Λόγον (God the Word, God-Logos) where Jesus is the referent. 

By the design of your θεόν rule, it being both comprehensive and universal in scope, logically it makes each and every referent of θεόν within scripture, or outside of scripture, Jehovah. There is no exception clause written into your assertion. 

The following section provides proof that the intent of your assertion was designed so that every one of those 148 θεόν occurrences have Jehovah in sight – no exception. Had this premise truly been tested we wouldn't be having this exchange. 

Revisiting the 148:

At the conclusion of your initial post you stated the following: "Inserting God's Name doesn't flow smoothly in all 148 Greek occurrences.". From this it must be understood that you did indeed look at each of the 148 occurrences and confirm they refer to Jehovah. 

Continuing on, if Jehovah doesn't "flow smoothly" you then suggest "inserting the meaning of the title θεόν" recognized as either "the only true Supreme One" or "the only true Self-Existent One" which then gives a "deeper understanding" to the text. 

From what you have asserted above there can be no doubt that all 148 occurrences are without exception referring to Jehovah; and therefore, Jehovah, or one of your two suggested meanings, may be used in place of θεόν.

In light of the above I want to ask how that worked out when you read read Acts 19:37, 28:6 replacing θεόν with Jehovah, or "the only true Supreme One", or even "the only true Self-Existent One" – was some "deeper understanding" attained?

For myself this is where the story ends; as, I believe the reasons have been fully expressed why, and on what grounds, the assertion you have put forward is to be rejected.

Regarding address in Jn. 17:

"If want to disagree with Jesus Christ that's on you."

There is no disagreement with Jesus; but instead, a disagreement with your understanding of what an address is.

The address occurs in Jn. 17:1, not Jn. 17:3, where Jesus first speaks, saying πάτερ, a direct address (vocative). Does the text of Jn. 17:1 you are reading have "the only true God, the hour has come" as the written text? Most likely not.

"Since Jesus applied the superlative title θεὸν to his Father as the only true God θεὸν in (John 17:3) it remains accurate and true."

Who, exactly, is arguing that Jn. 17:3 is not true? 

"Yes.... Jesus is the SON of θεὸν which makes him (a god) as in the only-begotten god which is in the genitive sense."

So, you are in agreement that ὁ υἱὸς τοῦ θεοῦ is genitive in Jn. 1:49 and not accusative as I brought to your attention in my last post. By the way, there is no "SON of θεὸν" as you put it; but, also in the same vernacular there is SON of θεοῦ.

But, you go on to say, "which makes him (a god)", according to your particular belief system; and then, this strange statement, "as in the only-begotten god which is in the genitive sense.".

Jn. 1:18 which you reference above reads μονογενὴς θεὸς (nominative) and of course Θεὸν (accusative) is in the text; but, no genitive θεοῦ. So, would you care to explain what your meaning is regarding "only-begotten god which is in the genitive sense."? A citation from a Greek grammar referring to this will also be helpful.

• Brother Rando

@Pages Did you not think to search for all uses of θεὸν in both the NT and LXX to verify the resulting data would corroborate your initial thought prior to making this assertion found below? (this will be revisited at the end)

"But θεόν (theon) refers to only to the True God as in (John 17:3). θεόν (theon) is a superlative title given to Jehovah alone.".

That assertion as written is dead on arrival, so to speak, for it completely fails in all areas. It is failing on grammatical and lexical grounds regarding θεός in its accusative form. In the interest of logic it also fails when tested by using either scripture or non-scriptural texts.

Not at all, the words of Jesus Christ stands. "You refers to only to the True God θεόν (theon) as in (John 17:3).

• In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God θεόν (theon) and the Word was a god Θεός (theos).
    • No man has seen God θεόν (theon) at any time; the only-begotten god Θεός (theos) who is at the Father’s side is the one who has explained Him.
    • In reply Jesus said to him: “It is written, ‘It is Jehovah your God θεόν (theon) you must worship, and it is to him alone you must render sacred service.’”

@Pages LXX to verify the resulting data would corroborate your initial thought prior to making this assertion found below? 

Why do you leave out the scriptures Jesus quoted? Notice this quote that comes from the Book of Joel which means 'Jehovah is God'. In reply Jesus which means 'Jehovah is Salvation' said to him: “It is written, ‘It is Jehovah your God (τὸν Θεόν) you must worship, and it is to him alone you must render sacred service.’” (Luke 4:8)

I showed you that Jesus used the correct form of Greek "It is Jehovah your God (τὸν Θεόν)" which the LXX had wrong. Notice this statement that Jesus stated which trinitarians reject? "The Father is Greater than I am" (John 14:28)

• The title ὁ θεὸς was applied to Jesus from Thomas and yet the words of Jesus Christ are true "The Father is Greater than I am" (John 14:28) It is written, ‘It is Jehovah your God (τὸν Θεόν) you must worship, (Luke 4:8) That Divine Statement of Truth cannot be denied.
    • Jehovah your God (τὸν Θεόν) is GREATER than ὁ θεὸς not co-equal. Furthermore Θεόν is never applied to Jesus Christ.

• Pages

@Brother Rando

"Not at all, the words of Jesus Christ stands."

From this response it is apparent that you are beyond having reasonable faculties able to comprehend the failure of your assertion and concede that it is an abject failure; which, I might add, pertains solely to your words alone.

There is no argument being made against the words of Jesus. But, there is an argument against the assertion you make regarding θεὸς in the accusative – your written words – solidly disputed throughout this thread. 

Those specific words you have written are the following: "But θεόν (theon) refers to only to the True God as in (John 17:3). θεόν (theon) is a superlative title given to Jehovah alone.".

And "Inserting God's Name doesn't flow smoothly in all 148 Greek occurrences.", try "inserting the meaning of the title θεόν" which is "the only true Supreme One" or "the only true Self-Existent One" to achieve a "deeper understanding".

I remind you that you assert all, without exception, 148 occurrences are referring to Jehovah alone. Do you not understand your own words? Can you not comprehend the error of your statements when faced with Acts 19:37, 28:6, two of the 148 occurrences? If that is not enough the LXX contributes far more OT examples which prove your quoted statements are fallacious (cf. Ex. 4:16, 7:1; Judges 8:33; 1 Sam. 5:7; 2 Ki. 1:2-3, 6, 16; Judith 3:8; Ps. 44:20; Wisd. 14:15, 15:8; Jonah 1:5; Is. 44:10, 17).

It is understandable that you weren't aware of this textual data destroying your position; because, you have affirmed that there was no effort made on your part to verify and validate your proposition as being true within the NT text; let alone, the LXX text, and Greek literature. 

I maintain that careless work with a distorted vision of grammar leads to this propagation of error which you continue to pretend is true; and, all the while evidently oblivious to the ramifications brought about by said assertion.      

"Furthermore Θεόν is never applied to Jesus Christ."

Ah, but it is. Among others, even Arius, himself, will use Θεὸν Λόγον in reference to Jesus. Before you write in reply, but that's not in scripture, please be reminded there is no limit placed on the scope of where θεόν can be found in your asserted proposition. What you have written below is a blanket statement.

"But θεόν (theon) refers to only to the True God as in (John 17:3). θεόν (theon) is a superlative title given to Jehovah alone.".

And, in the course of writing it needs to be said once again, θεός is θεόν, and θεόν is θεός; just as God is God, or god is god. The dictionary definition for θεός applies to θεόν. Do you have a lexicon with θεόν having its own headword entry? 

The rest of your posted reply has no bearing on the questions put to you in my last post; and certainly, are not responses directed towards the issues inherent in, and surrounding, your assertion outlined throughout this thread. 

In summary, the research data gathered provides an objective look at θεόν in its use inside, and outside, of scripture; and is found to contradict the universal and comprehensive nature of your asserted claim. 

Quite simply, your statement is to be rejected on the basis of grammatical, lexical, usage data, and logical grounds; all of which have been addressed in my posts.

• Brother Rando
    edited February 6

@Pages

And, in the course of writing it needs to be said once again, θεός is θεόν, and θεόν is θεός; just as God is God, or god is god. The dictionary definition for θεός applies to θεόν. Do you have a lexicon with θεόν having its own headword entry? 

@Brother Rando

Because θεόν is a superlative title like that of Adonai and Almighty. Jesus Christ admitted that 'the Father is Greater than I am' (John 14:28)

Trinitarians reject the teaching of Jesus Christ wholeheartedly and are willing to forfeit eternal life in their battle against him. You are simply exercising your false propaganda of the trinity doctrine that false claims the Son is co-equal to the Father who is the Self Existing One Jehovah.

Many times the Greek Septuagint removes the superlative title θεόν and replaces it with θεός to water down the Superlative title. Case and point:

Here is Jesus quoting the Hebrew Scripture in response to Satan who is called ὁ θεὸς. So your claim that all gods are the same is simply a deceptive lie...

• In reply Jesus said to him: “It is written, ‘It is Jehovah your God (τὸν Θεόν) you must worship, and it is to him alone you must render sacred service.’” (Luke 4:8)
    • The Hebrew Scripture Jesus was quoting was De 6:13 which in the LXX reads: κύριον τὸν θεόν σου φοβηθήσῃ καὶ αὐτῷ λατρεύσεις καὶ πρὸς αὐτὸν κολληθήσῃ καὶ τῷ ὀνόματι αὐτοῦ ὀμῇ
    • The deception here is that κύριον replaced the Superlative title Adonai which replaced יהוה which is transliterated into English as Jehovah

So your quote here doesn't hold any water:

@Pages And, in the course of writing it needs to be said once again, θεός is θεόν, and θεόν is θεός; just as God is God, or god is god.

Satan who is called ὁ θεὸς in (2 Cor 4:4) is no more the true God (τὸν Θεόν) than any of the false gods who pagans think their false gods are true. Get behind me Satan for you think Mans thoughts...

•  You said in your heart, ‘I will ascend to the heavens. Above the stars of God I will lift up my throne, And I will sit down on the mountain of meeting, In the remotest parts of the north. I will go up above the tops of the clouds; I will make myself resemble the Most High.’ (Isaiah 14:13-14)
    • The Jewish Scholars in the LXX of Isaiah 14:13 removed God θεόν altogether.. as it reads:

Satan has been hard at work removing Superlative titles like θεόν and Adonai and replacing them with non-superlative titles like θεὸς and kū́rios for the reason of making himself like the Most High, The Self Existing One. "I will make myself resemble the Most High." (Isaiah 14:13-14)

• Pages
    edited February 7

@Brother Rando

"Because θεόν is a superlative title like that of Adonai and Almighty."

Therein lies the difficulty you face. If, "θεόν is a superlative title" as you say; then, provide a citation from a lexicon stating that about θεόν.

And, should you somehow succeed in that endeavor it will still not release you from the implication of your stated proposition – that θεόν refers only to Jehovah alone. The fatal flaw being that Yahweh isn't the only and exclusive referent of θεόν in scripture; let alone, outside of it. The results of that are well documented throughout this thread need I remind you.

" You are simply exercising your false propaganda of the trinity doctrine"

You're welcome to your view on that; but, it must be stated that trinity doctrine is not the subject of this discussion. (see below for what is the subject of discussion)

"But θεόν (theon) refers to only to the True God as in (John 17:3). θεόν (theon) is a superlative title given to Jehovah alone."

"Many times the Greek Septuagint removes the superlative title θεόν and replaces it with θεός to water down the Superlative title. Case and point:"

Will you provide even one text to support this claim you have made where θεόν has been replaced by θεός "many times" in the LXX? 

"So your claim that all gods are the same is simply a deceptive lie..."

I have not made the claim that "all gods are the same"; my statement is that the term θεός, and its inflected forms, are used of any God or god. Even you used to understand that – see your first post "θεός (theos) can apply to God, a god, or gods and is shared with many.". What is missing in you words cited above is that this also applies to the inflected forms as well.

"The Hebrew Scripture Jesus was quoting was De 6:13 which in the LXX reads: κύριον τὸν θεόν σου φοβηθήσῃ καὶ αὐτῷ λατρεύσεις καὶ πρὸς αὐτὸν κολληθήσῃ καὶ τῷ ὀνόματι αὐτοῦ ὀμῇ"

"The deception here is that κύριον replaced the Superlative title Adonai which replaced יהוה which is transliterated into English as Jehovah"

We are not discussing "Adonai" or any assumed deception alleged within the LXX. 

"So your quote here doesn't hold any water:"

Which refers to this statement I made:

• And, in the course of writing it needs to be said once again, θεός is θεόν, and θεόν is θεός; just as God is God, or god is god.

If, what I stated "doesn't hold any water" as you say; then, please cite a lexicon which disagrees with that statement. 

I'll put this in very simple terms using English to demonstrate what you continually fail to comprehend regarding θεός and its inflections, specifically the accusative.

God in the following example is the same entity:

God (θεός, subject) saw (verb) you (object) vs. You (subject) saw (verb) God (θεόν, object). 

"The Jewish Scholars in the LXX of Isaiah 14:13 removed God θεόν altogether.. as it reads:"

And, on what textual grounds do you assert that θεόν was removed? Provide substance. I have to ask at this point what grammatical resource do you have access to that leads you to believe θεόν, and not θεοῦ, would be the reading? 

Moving on to the text, in certain LXX editions, "heaven" (οὐρανὸν) is written in place of "God" (El) reading "stars of heaven"; however, in the Gottingen LXX, it reads "stars of God" (ἄστέρων τοῦ θεοῦ) which is genitive, and not accusative. 

"Satan has been hard at work removing Superlative titles like θεόν and Adonai and replacing them with non-superlative titles like θεὸς and kū́rios"

Glad to know you're concerned about that; however, we're not discussing Satan's work. The entire focus is on your proposition and that only. (see below)

You have devised this assertion having no exceptions and no limits placed upon it; thereby, making any and all referents of θεόν, Jehovah. Scripture, had you taken the time to research, in its totality contradicts your claim regarding θεόν as it is found in both the OT Greek and NT. Additionally, your assertion is also founded on an underlying error regarding Greek grammar.

So, it is upon these grounds given above that this proposition of yours should be fully rejected. There has been no change to this. 

• Brother Rando

@Pages "The Hebrew Scripture Jesus was quoting was De 6:13 which in the LXX reads: κύριον τὸν θεόν σου φοβηθήσῃ καὶ αὐτῷ λατρεύσεις καὶ πρὸς αὐτὸν κολληθήσῃ καὶ τῷ ὀνόματι αὐτοῦ ὀμῇ"

"The deception here is that κύριον replaced the Superlative title Adonai which replaced יהוה which is transliterated into English as Jehovah"

We are not discussing "Adonai" or any assumed deception alleged within the LXX. 

"So your quote here doesn't hold any water:"

Which refers to this statement I made:

And, in the course of writing it needs to be said once again, θεός is θεόν, and θεόν is θεός; just as God is God, or god is god.

If, what I stated "doesn't hold any water" as you say; then, please cite a lexicon which disagrees with that statement. 

• @Brother Rando Not all gods are the same as you falsely claim as I gave you numerous examples. Another one is elohim that was translated into angels. For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, H430 and hast crowned him with glory and honour. (Psalm 8:5)

New International Version

You have made them a little lower than the angels and crowned them with glory and honor.

New Living Translation

Yet you made them only a little lower than God and crowned them with glory and honor.

English Standard Version

Yet you have made him a little lower than the heavenly beings and crowned him with glory and honor.

אֱלֹהִים ʼĕlôhîym, el-o-heem'; plural of H433gods in the ordinary sense; (elohim אלהים) is Angels which are created beings.

@Pages "The Hebrew Scripture Jesus was quoting was De 6:13 which in the LXX reads: κύριον τὸν θεόν σου φοβηθήσῃ καὶ αὐτῷ λατρεύσεις καὶ πρὸς αὐτὸν κολληθήσῃ καὶ τῷ ὀνόματι αὐτοῦ ὀμῇ"

• In reply Jesus said to him: “It is written, ‘It is Jehovah your God (τὸν Θεόν) you must worship, and it is to him alone you must render sacred service.’” (Luke 4:8)
    • The Hebrew Scripture Jesus was quoting was De 6:13 which in the LXX reads: κύριον τὸν θεόν σου φοβηθήσῃ καὶ αὐτῷ λατρεύσεις καὶ πρὸς αὐτὸν κολληθήσῃ καὶ τῷ ὀνόματι αὐτοῦ ὀμῇ
    • The deception here is that κύριον replaced the Superlative title Adonai which replaced יהוה which is transliterated into English as Jehovah

So below you can see how your deceptive lie can easily be exposed on God's Personal Name by hiding it with a non-superlative title such as κύριον in the Greek.

• Pages
    edited February 10

@Brother Rando

I want to revisit this statement from your previous post.

"Many times the Greek Septuagint removes the superlative title θεόν and replaces it with θεός to water down the Superlative title. Case and point:"

I asked you to provide the texts where you say specifically θεόν was removed and replaced with θεός "Many times" in the LXX. That, in itself, shouldn't pose any difficulty for you since you have to have that information at hand to make such a claim.

"Not all gods are the same as you falsely claim as I gave you numerous examples. Another one is elohim that was translated into angels. For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, H430 and hast crowned him with glory and honour. (Psalm 8:5)"

I've addressed your confused misconception of "Not all gods are the same as you falsely claim" in my previous post which I'll now restate again so that you can move on from that.

I have not made the claim that "all gods are the same". My statement is that the term θεός, and its inflected forms, are used of any God or god. 

Even you used to understand that. See your first post where you state the following, "θεός (theos) can apply to God, a god, or gods and is shared with many.".

So, whatever examples you believe you have given, based on your lack of understanding, are entirely outside this discussion. A discussion centered on the claim, made by yourself, concerning the accusative form of θεός being reserved for Jehovah alone, and only for Jehovah. A claim that has been shown to be false time and again throughout this thread.

The term Elohim, and its use, is not relevant to the proposition you have asserted regarding θεόν; which, is the only area of discussion. 

"The Hebrew Scripture Jesus was quoting was De 6:13 which in the LXX reads: κύριον τὸν θεόν σου φοβηθήσῃ καὶ αὐτῷ λατρεύσεις καὶ πρὸς αὐτὸν κολληθήσῃ καὶ τῷ ὀνόματι αὐτοῦ ὀμῇ"

"So below you can see how your deceptive lie can easily be exposed on God's Personal Name by hiding it with a non-superlative title such as κύριον in the Greek."

The use of Deut. 6:13 and your chart image are both lacking relevance to what is being discussed as stated previously. We are not discussing your theory on alleged deception within the LXX; we are however, should you have forgotten, solely discussing this indefensible claim you have presented over and over.

A statement that is false. You might wish to remedy that by a re-write using the following: most instances of θεόν in scripture refer to Yahweh – which is correct and true.

In summary, your post has failed to provide any legitimate support for the narrative you wish to perpetuate. It is however full of irrelevant material injected to deflect the course of discussion along with utilizing one assertion to prop up a previous assertion; all of which, do not equate to any argument of substance for your position. 

You simply provide no hard data which is understandable given that your proposition relies only upon your own interpretation of grammar applied to the text of scripture which is at complete odds with both scripture and grammar.

The obsession with θεόν as being its own separate entity apart from the nominative θεός in your mind is, in my view, such that the accusative form θεόν has become an idol of worship to you.

• Brother Rando
    edited February 10

@Pages The use of Deut. 6:13 and your chart image are both lacking relevance to what is being discussed as stated previously. We are not discussing your theory on alleged deception within the LXX; we are however, should you have forgotten, solely discussing this indefensible claim you have presented over and over.

@Brother Rando "But θεόν (theon) refers to only to the True God as in (John 17:3). θεόν (theon) is a superlative title given to Jehovah alone."

@Pages A statement that is false. You might wish to remedy that by a re-write using the following: most instances of θεόν in scripture refer to Yahweh – which is correct and true.

@Brother Rando

The deception you inserted about Deut. 6:13 was no mention of τὸν θεόν (theon) that refers to Jehovah but instead the mention of a non-superlative title κύριον that replaced the Hebrew Tetragrammaton  יהוה 

"The Hebrew Scripture Jesus was quoting was De 6:13 which in the LXX reads: κύριον τὸν θεόν σου φοβηθήσῃ καὶ αὐτῷ λατρεύσεις καὶ πρὸς αὐτὸν κολληθήσῃ καὶ τῷ ὀνόματι αὐτοῦ ὀμῇ"

• You may want to Read the title once again "God's Name Found in the Greek Scriptures under θεόν (theon)."
    • Whether you use Yahweh or Jehovah is not a concern to me. Replacing the Name does!
    • However, if you use Yahweh then names that refer back to Yahweh such as Yeshua should be used to be consistent in the New Testament.
    • Jehovah is consistent because the names that glorify are used to glorify Jehovah. Names like Jesus - John - Joel - Elijah - so on and so on.

Yeshua means 'Yahweh is Salvation' but where is Yeshua or Yahweh in the entire New Testament of the LEB? It's missing!

What does only true God mean to you???

Now you SEE the יהוה in Deut 6:16 translierated in Enlish as Jehovah? Now SEE the deception of removing the יהוה and replacing it with a non-superlative title κύριον? I don't care if you use Jehovah or Yahweh. Just know "God's Name Found in the Greek Scriptures under θεόν (theon)."

GREEK ~~~> οὐκ ἐκπειράσεις κύριον τὸν θεόν σου ὃν τρόπον ἐξεπειράσασθε ἐν τῷ Πειρασμῷ

• Strong's: G2316 Noun - Accusative Singular Masculine

• Pages
    edited February 10

@Brother Rando

"The deception you inserted about Deut. 6:13 was no mention of τὸν θεόν (theon) that refers to Jehovah but instead the mention of a non-superlative title κύριον that replaced the Hebrew Tetragrammaton יהוה "

Whatever you're on about is not relevant to the assertion you wrote, "But θεόν (theon) refers to only to the True God as in (John 17:3). θεόν (theon) is a superlative title given to Jehovah alone.", which is under discussion.  θεόν is Greek, the Tetragram is Hebrew. Your assertion is specific to the Greek accusative form of θεός, nothing more.

"You may want to Read the title once again "God's Name Found in the Greek Scriptures under θεόν (theon).""

Yes, that is the title you gave this thread; but, your written word regarding θεόν, which is the item of discussion we are having, has been shown to be false. If you're not sure about the status of that; I'll provide a recap.

"Inserting God's Name doesn't flow smoothly in all 148 Greek occurrences. For example, in John 17:3 inserting the meaning of the title θεόν (theon) not only fits, but gives deeper understanding."

You make the above assertion that θεόν refers to only God and is given as a title to Jehovah alone. Speaking of the 148 occurrences in the NT you provide two suggestions should God's name not flow smoothly when reading. Those suggestions being "the only true Supreme One" and "the only true Self-Existent One"

Let me ask you, do all 148 NT occurrences of θεόν have Yahweh as the referent? No, two texts have someone other then Yahweh as referent – Artemis (Acts 19:37) and Paul (Acts 28:6).

That data alone shows your proposition to be false; since, you have stated, θεόν only refers to God and is for Jehovah alone.

One also might want to know how that proposition fairs with the LXX text?

Here again, not so well, as these following texts all have someone other than Yahweh as a referent (Ex. 4:16, 7:1; Judges 8:33; 1 Sam. 5:7; 2 Ki. 1:2-3, 6, 16; Judith 3:8; Ps. 44:20; Wisd. 14:15, 15:8; Jonah 1:5; Is. 44:10, 17).

By count, seventeen texts within scripture all dispute the veracity of what you have written. So far, Artemis, Paul, Moses, Baal-berith, Dagon, Baal-zebub, Nebuchadnezzar, image, idol, and sailor's individual gods, have been referents of θεόν.

Outside of scripture there are multitudes of those who are referents of θεόν. And of course highlighted from past posting is the now famous Delphian god; but, lest it be forgotten, any god in Greek literature may well be a referent. We may even say, that Jesus has also been the referent of θεόν a number of times. (read earlier posts for examples)

It is quite clear from the data presented above that what has been written below is false.

"Inserting God's Name doesn't flow smoothly in all 148 Greek occurrences. For example, in John 17:3 inserting the meaning of the title θεόν (theon) not only fits, but gives deeper understanding."

And, before you write, remember that what you have asserted has no limiting, or exclusions, placed upon it. It is a universal blanket statement – θεόν refers to no one else but Jehovah, and Jehovah alone – that is the claim of your assertion. 

Unless, you want to assert that Jehovah is in fact each and every one of the listed referents detailed above in this post; though, that will not be an exhaustive list given the magnitude of Greek literature. 

Having written such a demonstrably faulty proposition I don't doubt your desire to escape the result you have made for yourself. When you have exhausted all avenues of deflection and distraction; then, in my view, you should concede the error and re-write your statement to reflect the truth.

• Brother Rando
    edited February 10

@Brother Rando

"The deception you inserted about Deut. 6:13 was no mention of τὸν θεόν (theon) that refers to Jehovah but instead the mention of a non-superlative title κύριον that replaced the Hebrew Tetragrammaton יהוה "

@Pages Whatever you're on about is not relevant to the assertion you wrote, "But θεόν (theon) refers to only to the True God as in (John 17:3). θεόν (theon) is a superlative title given to Jehovah alone.", which is under discussion.  θεόν is Greek, the Tetragram is Hebrew. Your assertion is specific to the Greek accusative form of θεός, nothing more.

The removal of the Hebrew יהוה in Deut 6:16 transliterated in English as Jehovah was replacing it with a non-superlative title κύριον?  Just know "God's Name Found in the Greek Scriptures under θεόν (theon)."

GREEK ~~~> οὐκ ἐκπειράσεις κύριον τὸν θεόν  σου ὃν τρόπον ἐξεπειράσασθε ἐν τῷ Πειρασμῷ

Whether you use the Greek θεόν (theon) or the Hebrew Adonai (LORD) it all leads back to יהוה  the One True God.... Personal Name

Here you make the falsely assertion that these false gods are equal to Jehovah is not accurate. Even Jesus is not equal for he stated the Father is Greater than I am. (John 14:28) ~~~> @Pages Here again, not so well, as these following texts all have someone other than Yahweh as a referent (Ex. 4:167:1Judges 8:331 Sam. 5:72 Ki. 1:2-3616Judith 3:8Ps. 44:20; Wisd. 14:15, 15:8; Jonah 1:5Is. 44:1017).

Not all gods are the same nor is any god co-equal to the One true θεόν theon -

Your theory of θεόν and that θεός are the same is not true. Nor is θεόν the true the same as False θεόν. and not all θεός are the same and co-equal.

• Jesus is called ὁ Θεός and Satan is also called ὁ Θεός. According to your theory these are the same god?
    • Yet Jesus and Satan are NEVER called τὸν θεόν
    • Jesus and Satan are both morning stars
    • Jehovah alone is the Self Existing τὸν θεόν and eternal.
    • But θεόν (theon) refers to only to the True God as in (John 17:3). θεόν (theon) is a superlative title given to Jehovah alone" in the same as Adonai.

• Pages

@Brother Rando

"Here you make the falsely assertion that these false gods are equal to Jehovah is not accurate."

It is as though you either don't realize the implications of what you have written; or, you don't remember that you even wrote this assertion. "But θεόν (theon) refers to only to the True God as in (John 17:3). θεόν (theon) is a superlative title given to Jehovah alone.".

You continue to want to make your words as mine – they are not mine; they are yours – and then you proceed to argue against your own assertion as if it were mine.

It is your assertion's wording that has the consequence of making each and every referent of θεόν no matter where it is stated to be referring to only Jehovah alone.

How do you not comprehend the meaning of simple English as you have written it? That statement as you have written it is without exception – no loophole.

"Not all gods are the same nor is any god co-equal to the One true θεόν theon"

Let me ask you, when θεός is used in scripture referring to Jehovah does that mean He is not the one true God? Or, is He somehow inferior by comparison to when θεόν refers to Him? I'd like to read your response this.

"Your theory of θεόν and that θεός are the same is not true."

I will remind you to provide proof supporting that from a Greek lexicon. The only person dealing in grammatical theory is you.

The use of θεός where manuscript (what is written in the text) and lexeme are the same.

The use of θεόν (manuscript – what is written in the text) showing it is an inflection of its lexeme θεός.

Both θεός and θεόν are given the same Greek Strong's number having the same definition.

"Nor is θεόν the true the same as False θεόν. and not all θεός are the same and co-equal."

I haven't claimed that they are. What I stated, for the third time now, is that θεός or θεόν is used in reference to any God or god. θεός, including its accusative form θεόν, is the term used for, in English, God or god. Can you not comprehend what a Greek lexicon states?

"Jesus is called ὁ Θεός and Satan is also called ὁ Θεός. According to your theory these are the same god?"

No theory involved, and not at all. Again, θεός may be used of anyone as it is simply a term for our English word God, or god. 

In your example, what distinguishes the two from one another is that one is Jesus, and the other is Satan; two distinct individuals each having a proper name. Personal identity is not determined by the use of θεός. 

Now, on the other hand, if you were to say both Jesus and Satan are, in your vernacular, called θεόν (a complete Greek grammar mishap); then, according to your assertion, "But θεόν (theon) refers to only to the True God as in (John 17:3). θεόν (theon) is a superlative title given to Jehovah alone.", they will both have to be Jehovah.

I hope that is now clear to you.

• Brother Rando
    edited February 11

@Pages In your example, what distinguishes the two from one another is that one is Jesus, and the other is Satan; two distinct individuals each having a proper name. Personal identity is not determined by the use of θεός. 

Now, on the other hand, if you were to say both Jesus and Satan are, in your vernacular, called θεόν (a complete Greek grammar mishap); then, according to your assertion, "But θεόν (theon) refers to only to the True God as in (John 17:3). θεόν (theon) is a superlative title given to Jehovah alone.", they will both have to be Jehovah.

That's simply untrue and you provide zero scripture to provide that Jehovah, Jesus, and Satan are the same God. Sounds like the dogma of the 'trinity doctrine' that makes false claims that no god or part is greater or lesser than the other. The false claim that all gods/parts/persons are co-eternal without beginning. That nothing had been MADE or CREATED . I have receipts that say otherwise. Yet the words CREATED are used in describing Satan and Jesus.

• Ezekiel claims Satan was an anointed cherub in the garden and that he was blameless when he was created. "You were an anointed guardian cherub, and I placed you on God’s holy mountain; you walked in the midst of stones of fire. You were blameless in your ways from the day when you were Created, until wickedness was found in you." (Ezekiel 28:14-15 LEB)
    • In regards to Jesus the Bible states, "Yahweh Created me, the first of his ways, before his acts of old." (Proverbs 8:22 LEB)
    • Now in regards to Jehovah the Bible states, "Before the mountains were born and you brought forth the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, you are God." (Psalm 90:2 LEB)

Then again you do reject the words of Jesus Christ that say to his Father in Prayer, "You, the only true God τὸν θεόν (John 17:3).

@Pages Now, on the other hand, if you were to say both Jesus and Satan are, in your vernacular, called θεόν (a complete Greek grammar mishap); then, according to your assertion, "But θεόν (theon) refers to only to the True God as in (John 17:3). θεόν (theon) is a superlative title given to Jehovah alone.", they will both have to be Jehovah.

I never stated such a blasphemous thing. Jesus or Satan is never called θεόν in this system of things or the system to come. Nor is there such a scripture that exists about Jesus or Satan being θεόν.

• Pages

@Brother Rando

"That's simply untrue and you provide zero scripture to provide that Jehovah, Jesus, and Satan are the same God."

You have a incredible capacity for not understanding what I've written; but, also you lack any nominal understanding of what you have written in your following assertion. "But θεόν (theon) refers to only to the True God as in (John 17:3). θεόν (theon) is a superlative title given to Jehovah alone."

What does your assertion state emphatically about the use of θεόν? It states that θεόν only refers to "the True God" (using Jn. 17:3 as the example); and that the title θεόν is "given to Jehovah alone."

From that central point, are you really unable to comprehend the resulting consequence of your statement realizing that Jehovah is not the only referent in scripture of θεόν?  

Ex. 4:16, 7:1; Judges 8:33; 1 Sam. 5:7; 2 Ki. 1:2-3, 6, 16; Judith 3:8; Ps. 44:20; Wisd. 14:15, 15:8; Jonah 1:5; Is. 44:10, 17; Acts 19:37, 28:6. 

I'll supply the texts of Judith and Wisdom since the LEB doesn't hyperlink to them.

• "so that all nations should worship Nebuchadnezzar alone and that all their dialects and tribes should call upon him as a god." (Judith 3:8)
    • "For a father, distressed by untimely grief, making an image of the child so quickly taken away, at that time honored the dead person as a god" (Wisd. of Sol. 14:15)
    • "And perversely he forms a fruitless god out of the same clay" (Wisd. of Sol. 15:8)

Those texts, referenced above, according to your assertion make each and every one, as a referent of θεόν, to be Jehovah. Why? Because you stated in your assertion that θεόν only refers to "the True God", Jehovah, and only "Jehovah alone"!

Your following reply is made in reference to what I wrote as a hypothetical illustration regarding your complete misunderstanding of not only θεός; but, also the total disregard for the theological implications brought about by your assertion having to do with θεόν.

What I wrote is the following:

• Now, on the other hand, if you were to say both Jesus and Satan are, in your vernacular, called θεόν (a complete Greek grammar mishap); then, according to your assertion, "But θεόν (theon) refers to only to the True God as in (John 17:3). θεόν (theon) is a superlative title given to Jehovah alone.", they will both have to be Jehovah.

"I never stated such a blasphemous thing. Jesus or Satan is never called θεόν in this system of things or the system to come."

I never said you did; I said, "if you were to say". Are you completely unable to follow the train of thought in what is written? 

"Nor is there such a scripture that exists about Jesus or Satan being θεόν."

Again, for the nearly one millionth time, your assertion is wide open; it is made without restriction, and without exception, meaning that any corpus of writing, or referent, is fair game. For instance, the Delphian god in Greek literature.

It has been documented in this thread numerous times that Jesus is a referent of θεόν. Do I need to keep posting those citations for you to remember? 

• "Καὶ εἰς κύριον Ἰησοῦν Χριστόν, τὸν υἱὸν αὐτοῦ, τὸν ἐξ αὐτοῦ πρὸ πάντων τῶν αἰώνων γεγεννημένον θεὸν λόγον,"
    • "ἀλλʼ ἕνα καὶ τὸν αὐτὸν υἱὸν καὶ μονογενῆ, θεὸν λόγον, κύριον Ἰησοῦν Χοιστόν"  

By many of your recent responses I have to wonder if you are the actual author of the assertion made in the opening post of this thread. At times in your writing it seems there is a total unawareness that it is your own assertion and not someone else's.

My suggestion to whomever wrote that assertion in the first post would be to re-write it to reflect the truth; namely, within scripture θεόν refers mostly to Jehovah.

I'm certain the above doesn't suit the purpose for the assertion as it was intended; but, truth is of more importance.

• Brother Rando
    edited February 12

@Pages You have a incredible capacity for not understanding what I've written; but, also you lack any nominal understanding of what you have written in your following assertion. "But θεόν (theon) refers to only to the True God as in (John 17:3). θεόν (theon) is a superlative title given to Jehovah alone."

Your claims are empty and hollow. None of the false gods are true or co-equal to Jehovah as Jesus calls His Father "You, the only true God τὸν θεόν" in (John 17:3). The Greek word monos translated ONLY can also be rendered ALONE as in (Matthew 4:10)  Then Jesus said to him: “Go away, Satan! For it is written: ‘It is Jehovah your God you must worship, and it is to him alone you must render sacred service.’”

Yet, you claim Satan who is called ὁ θεὸς in (2 Cor 4:4) is the same superlative title as the only true God as τὸν θεόν in (John 17:3). That can't be any more blasphemous if you were to claim Satan was uncreated or eternal. It's totally false. Anyways Satan is never called τὸν θεόν in any scripture,

• Ezekiel claims Satan was an anointed cherub in the garden and that he was blameless when he was created. "You were an anointed guardian cherub, and I placed you on God’s holy mountain; you walked in the midst of stones of fire. You were blameless in your ways from the day when you were Created, until wickedness was found in you." (Ezekiel 28:14-15 LEB)

Therefore, the first title θεόν (theon) refers to 'the God" as Supreme One or Self-Existent One. The second Greek title θεός (theos) can apply to God, a god, or gods and is shared with many. But θεόν (theon) refers to only to the True God as in (John 17:3). θεόν (theon) is a superlative title given to Jehovah alone.

For example we find the Greek transliteration for (Ecc 12:13) reads: "τέλος λόγου τὸ πᾶν ἀκούεται τὸν θεὸν φοβοῦ καὶ τὰς ἐντολὰς αὐτοῦ φύλασσε ὅτι τοῦτο πᾶς ὁ ἄνθρωπος"

So which God must we fear? You can easily insert Jehovah or Yahweh if you like... "The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear the true God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man." (Ecc 12:13)

• The conclusion of the matter, everything having been heard, is: Fear Jehovah and keep his commandments, for this is the whole obligation of man

• Pages

@Brother Rando

Your entire response to my post is one that demonstrates the propensity in your writing to deflect and divert from the obvious flaw(s) that you cannot defend.

As an example of that is the fact that we are not discussing the occasions when θεὸν refers to Yahweh; but, only those occasions when θεὸν is not referring to Yahweh. How is it possible that you fail to understand that point?

Your initial claim regarding the 148 occurrences in the NT, "Inserting God's Name doesn't flow smoothly in all 148 Greek occurrences. For example, in John 17:3 inserting the meaning of the title θεόν (theon) not only fits, but gives deeper understanding.", shows you accept that Artemis and Paul (Acts 19:37, 28:6) will have to be considered as Jehovah. 

There are 146 occurrences of θεόν, not 148, where Yahweh is the referent – something you don't seem to grasp or acknowledge as contrary to your asserted proposition – "But θεόν (theon) refers to only to the True God as in (John 17:3). θεόν (theon) is a superlative title given to Jehovah alone.".

So, as a reminder, what does your assertion state emphatically about the use of θεόν? It states that θεόν only refers to "the True God" (using Jn. 17:3 as the example); and that the title θεόν is "given to Jehovah alone."

Your proposition as stated is in error due to its neglect in properly stating factual data that is found in the OT and NT contrary to your assertion – making that assertion as it is stated false. 

Seventeen texts in scripture have θεόν referring to someone else than Jehovah; and those texts, according to your assertion, make each and every one, as a referent of θεόν, to be Jehovah. Why? Because you stated in your assertion that θεόν only refers to "the True God", Jehovah, and only "Jehovah alone"!

What you claim below is false for all the reasons given throughout this thread.

"Therefore, the first title θεόν (theon) refers to 'the God" as Supreme One or Self-Existent One. The second Greek title θεός (theos) can apply to God, a god, or gods and is shared with many. But θεόν (theon) refers to only to the True God as in (John 17:3). θεόν (theon) is a superlative title given to Jehovah alone."

What you can state in truth is that most uses of θεόν in scripture have Yahweh as the referent.

• Brother Rando

@Pages

So, as a reminder, what does your assertion state emphatically about the use of θεόν? It states that θεόν only refers to "the True God" (using Jn. 17:3 as the example); and that the title θεόν is "given to Jehovah alone."

Yes. Jehovah alone is the only true God θεόν @ (John 17:3)

@Pages

Seventeen texts in scripture have θεόν referring to someone else than Jehovah; and those texts, according to your assertion, make each and every one, as a referent of θεόν, to be Jehovah. Why? Because you stated in your assertion that θεόν only refers to "the True God", Jehovah, and only "Jehovah alone"!

Your claim is that false gods are true is irrelevant and false because there is no other god equal or even co-equal to the true θεόν as the Father alone being God Almighty. Almighty is another superlative title belonging Jehovah. My claim has never changed.

Jesus himself stated (John 17:3) of which you denounced but his words are true. And Jesus also stated, "the Father is GREATER than I AM" (John 14:28)

I don't expect a trinitarian to abide by the words of Christ but deny them and fight them with false and misleading misnomers. For instance when Jesus confirmed Jehovah alone is to be worshipped by quoting (Deuteronomy 6:13) where he used the superlative title (τὸν θεόν)

•  In reply Jesus said to him: “It is written, ‘It is Jehovah your God (τὸν θεόν) you must worship, and it is to him alone you must render sacred. service.’” (Luke 4:8)

• Pages
    edited February 21

@Brother Rando

"Your claim is that false gods are true is irrelevant and false because there is no other god equal or even co-equal to the true θεόν as the Father alone being God Almighty. Almighty is another superlative title belonging Jehovah. My claim has never changed. "

It is not my claim, it is what your own assertion logically claims!!!!!! And that claim, as you have expressed it, states that θεόν only and always refers to Jehovah; which, is not the case and therefore your claim, as stated, is false!!!

It is your asserted proposition, by the way, that makes those other seventeen referents of θεόν into Jehovah!!!!!

Regarding the "superlative title" claim for θεόν; provide one instance from a Greek lexicon that states the accusative form of θεός is itself a "superlative title" belonging only to Jehovah. You have never done so because you have stated that this proposition was never based upon linguistic sources; but rather, based upon your own individual interpretation of Jn. 17:3 in light of Ps. 83:18.

There is, to my knowledge, no linguistic support that θεόν apart and independent from its lexeme θεός is to be designated a "superlative title" for Yahweh. And, I'm certain if there were such support it would have been reported long ago in your posting.

The word God, itself, is the so-named category of a type of ontological Being – supernatural Being – as opposed to our own human or any other type of Being for that matter.

It, God, or god, is a common noun and as stated above it is descriptive of a type of Being. It will be the context surrounding that term which usually informs one as to which God, or god, is being referenced. 

I'll ask once again having received no response to this, I'm sure, an uncomfortable question asked of you much earlier in this thread.

Starting from this first assertion made having no exception on referent, or limit placed on the corpus used. (all quotes from the first post in this thread)

Followed by this statement which is asserting that all 148 occurrences refer to Jehovah (which is not the case).

Going further you state that the meaning you personally have assigned to θεόν should Jehovah not flow smoothly may be replaced with the following approved by yourself choices, "the only true Supreme One", or "the only true Self-Existent One".

On reading these two texts of Acts 19:37, 28:6, included within the 148 occurrences of θεόν which you state refer to Jehovah alone; I would like to know how your theological understanding of the one true God was deepened by the reading of those two texts?

Yes, the question asked above is somewhat tongue-in-cheek; however, at that point the realization that your loved assertion is faulty in its composition where it makes all referents of θεόν, in or outside scripture, to be Jehovah – in this NT case Artemis and Paul. How exactly did you miss such an apparent fault and then continue to propagate this false nonsense?

If the ability to grasp that it is your assertion, as written, if it is true, is the only one asserting that not only Yahweh, but all others who also are the referent of θεόν, then must, by that self-same assertion, be Jehovah. 

As an important side note, we are not arguing about whether you, or even I, personally believe every referent of θεόν is Yahweh; but, your assertion, if true, does empirically believe and states that – which is the weakness it suffers from.

Most likely it was not checked at all to verify if every instance of θεόν in scripture did indeed refer to Yahweh; but, that is, in itself, no excuse to keep on promoting a false ideology after it has been demonstrated from scripture, and outside of scripture, to be patently false.

Most, is the operative word regarding θεόν – most of the time Yahweh is the referent of θεόν in scripture – that is true as stated. 

There is a paramount need for you to correct your assertion's wording to reflect the truth of scripture, as seventeen examples combined (OT and NT) stand against that same assertion.

• Brother Rando

@Pages

Regarding the "superlative title" claim for θεόν; provide one instance from a Greek lexicon that states the accusative form of θεός is itself a "superlative title" belonging only to Jehovah. You have never done so because you have stated that this proposition was never based upon linguistic sources; but rather, based upon your own individual interpretation of Jn. 17:3 in light of Ps. 83:18.

The accusative form of θεός was already brought up in regards to Jesus and to Satan. Now, to claim these gods are equal or even co-equal to θεόν is not accurate. After all, angels themselves called 'sons'. Being a Son or even the Son of God doesn't make him God. The fact remains, neither Satan or Jesus is ever called by the "superlative title" θεόν.

There is similarities between Satan and Jesus both being a Prince. Both are Morning Stars with Jesus calling himself the Bright Morning Star of which is supported by him being the Firstborn of All Creation and In the Beginning was the Word. Both morning stars were singing about the creation of the earth along with all the Sons of God. (Job 38:7 LEB) Stars are the beginning of creation with emphasis on (Morning). Both Satan and Jesus were anointed and chosen. One was demoted and the other given authority and a superior position.

The θεόν has no Beginning because he always existed and is eternal on both ends of time. Past and Future and he does not change. Here's a few examples of using context to use Jehovah's Name.

• In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was a god.
    • In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with τὸν θεόν, and the Word was a god.
    • In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with Jehovah, and the Word was a god.
    •  Ἐν ἀρχῇ ἦν ὁ λόγος καὶ ὁ λόγος ἦν πρὸς τὸν θεόν καὶ θεὸς ἦν ὁ λόγος

I also notice every time you respond and few moments later another question comes from @Keep_Smiling_4_Jesus Christ almost every time. Makes me think you two are the same person trying disguise yourself by using alias accounts. Both are have similar traits. I'm sure if you are the same person, eventually you'll post something forgetting to use the proper account. I'm sure that's not all the accounts because there was another that went by the alias @Truth who has the very same trait.

• All three of you deny God's Holy Name - Jehovah
    • And all three of you have trouble claiming that Jesus is the Christ.

• Pages

@Brother Rando

"The accusative form of θεός was already brought up in regards to Jesus and to Satan. Now, to claim these gods are equal or even co-equal to θεόν is not accurate."

Other than yourself, no one has claimed what you state above. It is only from the unorthodox view held by yourself that θεόν is somehow a separate and independent linguistic entity from θεός making the term God, or god, into a language absurdity.

Again, we are not arguing over whether "these gods are equal or even co-equal to θεόν", a statement which is itself linguistically nonsensical; we are, however, discussing how it is that your assertion by its wording logically makes every referent of θεόν, Jehovah.

What does your assertion say: it says, "But θεόν (theon) refers to only to the True God as in (John 17:3). θεόν (theon) is a superlative title given to Jehovah alone."; so, in the NT both Artemis and Paul are each referents of the accusative θεόν. (emphasis mine)

Neither you, nor I, believe either Artemis or Paul are Jehovah, which is not under debate; but, the above assertion along with this statement of yours, "Inserting God's Name doesn't flow smoothly in all 148 Greek occurrences." (NT occurrences only), logically makes them Jehovah. Are you simply unable to follow the line of thought expressed by those words?

"After all, angels themselves called 'sons'. Being a Son or even the Son of God doesn't make him God."

This has no relevance to our discussion.

"The fact remains, neither Satan or Jesus is ever called by the "superlative title" θεόν."

First, the above is an example of the continual misunderstanding displayed by yourself regarding the inflected forms within the Greek language. Perhaps the following will help you to better understand the reason for those inflected forms within Greek.

• "Θεόν is the accusative singular form of θεός. Often people are confused by the fact that Greek nouns change form, depending upon their grammatical usage in a sentence. Greek is an inflected language, and its nouns are declined, meaning they take a different form when they are subject, object, indirect object, plural, etc. These changes in forms do not impact the actual meaning of the noun itself, only how it is being used in a particular sentence." (White, James R. The Forgotten Trinity: Recovering the Heart of Christian Belief. Accordance electronic edition, version 1.0. Bloomington: Bethany House Publishers, 1998.)

Second, while neither Jesus, or Satan, are the referent of the accusative θεόν within scripture; Jesus is a referent of θεόν outside of it. Though, linguistically there is no difference in meaning to be derived from an inflected form. θεός and θεόν are simply God, or god.

Before replying that the following excerpts are not found within scripture; let me remind you in advance that no limiting to a particular corpus has ever been imposed by your θεόν assertion. Therefore, any literature is fair game; which, has also been stated multiple times throughout this thread.

Arius writing:

"Καὶ εἰς κύριον Ἰησοῦν Χριστόν, τὸν υἱὸν αὐτοῦ, τὸν ἐξ αὐτοῦ πρὸ πάντων τῶν αἰώνων γεγεννημένον θεὸν λόγον," (Kelly, J. N. D. (2006). Early Christian Creeds (Third Edition, p. 189). Continuum.)

From Chalcedon:

"ἀλλʼ ἕνα καὶ τὸν αὐτὸν υἱὸν καὶ μονογενῆ, θεὸν λόγον, κύριον Ἰησοῦν Χοιστόν"  (Schaff, P. (1890). The Creeds of Christendom, with a History and Critical Notes: The Greek and Latin Creeds, with Translations (Vol. 2, pp. 62–63). Harper & Brothers.)

Ignatius writing:

"Δοξάζω Ἰησοῦν Χριστὸν τὸν θεὸν" Smyrnaeans 1:1 (Brannan, R. (2011). Apostolic Fathers Greek-English Interlinear. Lexham Press.)

But, truly, if θεόν, as you state, is a "superlative title"; then, its nominative lexeme θεός is also a "superlative title".  The reverse will also be true if θεός is not a "superlative title"; then, neither is θεόν a "superlative title"

That is recognized, though not fully, in this statement of yours found in the first post of this thread, "The second Greek title θεός (theos) can apply to God, a god, or gods and is shared with many.". That applies to the accusative form (θεόν) as well.

Finally, should you wish to disagree with the above statement I would suggest providing legitimate lexicon support for that disagreement.

"There is similarities between Satan and Jesus both being a Prince. Both are Morning Stars with Jesus calling himself the Bright Morning Star of which is supported by him being the Firstborn of All Creation and In the Beginning was the Word. Both morning stars were singing about the creation of the earth along with all the Sons of God. (Job 38:7 LEB) Stars are the beginning of creation with emphasis on (Morning). Both Satan and Jesus were anointed and chosen. One was demoted and the other given authority and a superior position."

Completely lacking relevance to our subject being discussed.

"The θεόν has no Beginning because he always existed and is eternal on both ends of time. Past and Future and he does not change. Here's a few examples of using context to use Jehovah's Name."

Same response, no relevance whatsoever.

"I also notice every time you respond and few moments later another question comes from @Keep_Smiling_4_Jesus Christ almost every time. Makes me think you two are the same person trying disguise yourself by using alias accounts."

I can assure you we are not the same person.   

• Brother Rando

Jesus nor Satan is ever called Θεόν. It is a superlative title for Jehovah as the Only True God Alone. (John 17:3)

God

Θεόν (Theon)

Noun - Accusative Masculine Singular - the Supreme Divinity; figuratively, a magistrate; by Hebraism, very.

• In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with the Supreme Divinity, and the Word was a god.
    • No man has seen the Supreme Divinity at any time; the only-begotten god who is at the Father’s side is the one who has explained Him.
    • Jesus said to him: “Again it is written: ‘You must not put Jehovah the Supreme Divinity to the test.’”
    •  He has put his trust in the Supreme Divinity; let Him now rescue him if He wants him, for he said, ‘I am the Supreme Divinity Son.’”

You can also insert God's Name Jehovah...

• In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with Jehovah, and the Word was a god.
    • No man has seen Jehovah at any time; the only-begotten god who is at the Father’s side is the one who has explained Him.
    • Jesus said to him: “Again it is written: ‘You must not put Jehovah to the test.’”
    • He has put his trust in Jehovah; let Him now rescue him if He wants him, for he said, ‘I am Jehovah's Son.’”

• @Brother Rando February 21 * In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with the Supreme Divinity, and the Word was a god

Remember Koine Greek does NOT have indefinite articles "a" & "an". Koine Greek does have "another" adjectives that John did not use in John 1:1-5. The phrase "a god" is injecting untrustworthy Watchtower Society faith belief interpretation into translation, which is a form of deception. How could "a god" create ALL things (not one thing came into being without The Word) ?

Recognizing inflected nature of Koine Grrek nouns results in a better translation of "Ἐν ἀρχῇ ἦν ὁ λόγος, καὶ ὁ λόγος ἦν πρὸς τὸν θεόν, καὶ θεὸς ἦν ὁ λόγος. =>

• In the beginning was The Word, and The Word was with The Supreme Divinity, and The Word was Supreme Divinity.

The verb "was" lacks English fullness of Koine Greek imperfect verb tense primarily expressing continous kind of action (with indicative mood showing secondary past time),

• In the beginning continously was The Word, and The Word continously was with The Supreme Divinity, and The Word was continously Supreme Divinity.

The first class for learning Koine Greek in a number of colleges & universities uses a textbook that has John 1:1c explanation in Chapter 6:

Chapter 6

Nominative and Accusative; Article

(First and Second Declension Nouns)

Exegetical Insight

The nominative case is the case that the subject is in. When the subject takes an equative verb like “is” (i.e., a verb that equates the subject with something else), then another noun also appears in the nominative case—the predicate nominative. In the sentence, “John is a man,” “John” is the subject and “man” is the predicate nominative. In English the subject and predicate nominative are distinguished by word order (the subject comes first). Not so in Greek. Since word order in Greek is quite flexible and is used for emphasis rather than for strict grammatical function, other means are used to distinguish subject from predicate nominative. For example, if one of the two nouns has the article, it is the subject.

As we have said, word order is employed especially for the sake of emphasis. Generally speaking, when a word is thrown to the front of the clause it is done so for emphasis. When a predicate nominative is thrown in front of the verb, by virtue of word order it takes on emphasis. A good illustration of this is John 1:1c. The English versions typically have, “and the Word was God.” But in Greek, the word order has been reversed. It reads,

καὶ θεὸς ἦν ὁ λόγος

and God was the Word.

We know that “the Word” is the subject because it has the article, and we translate it accordingly: “and the Word was God.” Two questions, both of theological import, should come to mind: (1) Why was θεός thrown forward? and (2) why does it lack the article?

In brief, its emphatic position stresses its essence or quality: “What God was, the Word was” is how one translation brings out this force. Its lack of the article keeps us from identifying the person of the Word (Jesus Christ) with the person of “God” (the Father). That is to say, the word order tells us that Jesus Christ has all the divine attributes that the Father has; lack of the article tells us that Jesus Christ is not the Father. John’s wording here is beautifully compact! It is, in fact, one of the most elegantly terse theological statements one could ever find. As Martin Luther said, the lack of the article is against Sabellianism; the word order is against Arianism.

To state this another way, look at how the different Greek constructions would be rendered:

καὶ ὁ λόγος ἦν ὁ θεός

“and the Word was the God” (i.e., the Father; Sabellianism)

καὶ ὁ λόγος ἦν θεός

“and the Word was a god” (Arianism)

καὶ θεὸς ἦν ὁ λόγος

“and the Word was God” (orthodoxy).

Jesus Christ is God and has all the attributes that the Father has. But he is not the first person of the Trinity. All this is concisely affirmed in καὶ θεὸς ἦν ὁ λόγος.

Daniel B. Wallace

William D. Mounce, Basics of Biblical Greek Grammar, ed. Verlyn D. Verbrugge and Christopher A. Beetham, Fourth Edition. (Grand Rapids, MI: Zondervan, 2019), 33–34.

Question for @Brother Rando (& Watchtower Society): what Greek words should have been used to express spiritual quality of ὁ λόγος (The Word) continuously was fully אלהים God ? (while full Holy אלהים God completeness was more than ὁ λόγος).

FWIW: my resource copy came from Logos Bible Study software while @Pages February 21 resource copy came from Accordance. Over 15 years ago had my decision for Logos Bible Study to be the only one for my purchases going forward (as Logos offers lots more resources for a digital library). My favorite Logos feature is visual filters combining thousands of search results for simultaneous display, which quickly allows range of verbal expression to be seen in a Scripture passage.

Keep Smiling 😊

• Brother Rando
    edited February 22

I knew you couldn't resist @Keep_Smiling_4_Jesus Christ

Remember Koine Greek does NOT have indefinite articles "a" & "an". Koine Greek does have "another" adjectives that John did not use in John 1:1-5. 

You forgot to change your call sign back to @Pages before responding--lol You jumped right on that one! However, we see the literal translation of the Koine Greek word θεὸς using the letter (a)  2316. theos  Strong's Concordance theos: God, a god

Remember the Hebrew language does NOT have any vowels in it such 'as' "an" or "a". They don't exist in the Hebrew. So your hypocrisy in using them simply shows the standard your trying to assert is a fallacy. Look up ===> (Exodus 7:1 LEB) Arianism a god

Then again Jesus is called (a) son in Koine Greek. WHAT !?  "Although he was a son, he learned obedience from what he suffered," (Hebrews 5:8 LEB)

• Notice all the (a's) in the Kione Greek in this one Scripture? Although - a son - learned - what So why did the LEB add all those (a's) ??

Let's visit the scripture in John which means Jehovah has been Gracious. First of all, why are quoting from the Book of JOHN that gives witness about God's Personal NAME? Isn't that HYPOCRISY?

A lot of (a's) instituted here by the LEB in bold- In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was a god.

Are you now claiming that WAS is a mistake, a disguise, or a deception? By the way if the letter (a) is Arianism that started in the 4th Century how can it be, if English didn't start until 500 years ago? Doesn't Arianism have two (a's) in it some 1700 years ago?