Since Moses was called elohim, does that make him God?

"And the Lord said to Moses: Behold I have appointed thee the God of Pharao: and Aaron thy brother shall be thy prophet." (Exodus 7:1 DRB)

Thankful for Google transliterates יהוה in English as Jehovah. Visit JW.org about whom Jesus Christ calls the Only True God in (John 17:3)

Tagged:

Comments

• @Keep_Smiling_4_Jesus Hebrew word אלהים is plural, which is a minimum of three. Hebrew language nouns have three spelling options: singular, dual, & plural. What is plural in One unique אלהים God ?

So which God is Moses?

Thankful for Google transliterates יהוה in English as Jehovah. Visit JW.org about whom Jesus Christ calls the Only True God in (John 17:3)

• Bill_Coley
    Bill_Coley Posts: 2,675

@BroRando posted:

So which God is Moses?

The Exodus 7 verse that you quoted in a previous post doesn't say Moses is any kind of god. The verse includes God's commitment to make Moses LIKE a god to Pharaoh. Moses (and Aaron) will speak to Pharaoh the words God provides them. In effect, they will be God's official representatives. The verse has a meaning quite in keeping with Exodus 4.16, in which God describes Moses' and Aaron's functions as they prepare to meet Pharaoh:

16 And he [Aaron] will speak for you [Moses] to the people, ⌊and then⌋ he will be to you as a mouth, and you will be to him as a god.

It's not that Moses will BE God to Aaron - recall that there is only one God - but that Moses will serve in a god-like role to Aaron: Moses will tell Aaron what to say to Pharaoh and God will inspire both Moses and Aaron in their appearance before the Egyptian leader.

• Pages
    Pages Posts: 323
    edited January 2022

@BroRando

"And the Lord said to Moses: Behold I have appointed thee the God of Pharao: and Aaron thy brother shall be thy prophet." (Exodus 7:1 DRB)

You do realize that the majority of translations do not use a definite article with God as it isn't found in the text. 

It isn't in the Hebrew, DSS, LXX, Targums, or Vulgate texts. So, it isn't surprising that English translations, apart from the Douay-Rheims, do not have the. Translations use a, as a, like a, a leader, role of, etc. to express this thought.  

In looking at this text I came across an interesting item to share with you. In the LXX this portion is written δέδωκά σε θεὸν Φαραω [give you (as) God (to) Pharaoh].  

I want to ask you why Moses is greater than Jesus as it is often asserted Jesus is never called θεὸν. How would you explain that Moses is elevated to this greater height above Jesus by being called θεὸν? 

• I can't find any disagreement with you in your explaination. Moses was acting as God's Spokesman and was given authority. Therefore Moses was acting in a specific and offical capacity. The Catholic scripture is misleading. Even though Moses is called elohim, it does not make him God. Elohim is a tile that can be applied to angels and even men who represent God, not that he is God. Like theos, elohim can be rendered, God, a god, or even gods. Infinite articles can be used like god, as a god, as god, a god can be used.

Young's Literal Translation

And Jehovah saith unto Moses, 'See, I have given thee a god to Pharaoh, and Aaron thy brother is thy prophet;

Jesus also was acting as God's Spokesman as the Word of God and was given authority. Therefore Jesus was acting in a specific and offical capacity. Theos can also be God, a god which is alos applied to angels of men. It is a title after all. Even Jesus is godlike as spme transaltions use.

How does John 1:1 read with a literal translation?

“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with the God, and a god was the Word.”

• 1975 “and a god (or, of a divine kind) was the Word” – Das Evangelium nach Johnnes, by Siegfried Schulz, Göttingen, Germany
    • 1978: “and godlike sort was the Logos” – Das Evangelium nach Johannes, by Johannes Schneider, Berlin

Notice these scriptures about Jesus Christ?

• You made him a little lower than the angels; You crowned him with glory and honor. Psalm 8:5
    • I have said, 'You are gods; you are all sons of the Most High.' Psalm 82:6