Was Luther anti-Semitic?

124»

Comments

• Mitchell
    Mitchell Posts: 668

Wolfgang,

it is common knowledge Judaism is not a race, but rather a religion that groups of various ethnicities across the world follow. For example:

There are are
    (a) Jews of Ashkenazi (European Jews these are probably those who know a little about)
    (b) Jews of Sephardic (Spanish/Portuguese Jews)
    (c) Jews of Yemenite
    (d) Jews of Mizrahi (Arabi /Egyptian)
    (e) Jewish of African heritage(Ethiopian Jews or the Falasha and the Lemba)
    (f) Jews of Cochin
    (g) Kaifeng Jews (Chinese Jews)
    (h) Bene Ephraim (Indian Jews)
    (i) Persian Jews
    (j) Kurdish Jews
    (k) etcetera

• @Mitchell said:
    Wolfgang,
    it is common knowledge Judaism is not a race, but rather a religion that groups of various ethnicities across the world follow. For example:

This may be common knowledge to some ... how many in the Western (Judaism/Zionism) influenced world however think of "anti-semitic" as something related to race rather than religion and politics ??
    It seems that the Jewish/Zionist political regime (residing in various places in the Western world) has been rather successful in establishing this "misnomer" and then use it as a psychological weapon against anyone daring to oppose their evil politics of world hegemony

• Mitchell

Wolfgang,

I would think that most would understand that the very word "Semitic" is an adjective and not one race or one ethnic group of people. For example, Semitic refers to Hebrew, just as much as it does Arabic, Aramaic, Amharic, Maltese, Assyrian, Tigre and to the peoples who speak those languages.

• @Mitchell said:
    Wolfgang,
    I would think that most would understand that the very word "Semitic" is an adjective and not one race or one ethnic group of people.

The point is not about the word "semitic" being an adjective and not a noun for a race or group of people ... it is about "anti-semitic" being an adjective that almost always is equated and used to describe an attitude "anti-a-particular-race", which is evident when you recognize how those accused of being "anti-semitic" are equally labeled "racists"

Of course, the adjective "semitic" may also be used in other contexts as well to refer to something that is related to people originally descendants of Shem (cp. for example that a number of languages are referred to as "semitic" languages).

But note carefully, the word "ANTI-semitic" (quite different from "semitic") is almost always used to give the impression of a connection to "racist" / "race" / "racism".

• Mitchell

@Wolfgang said:
    But note carefully, the word "ANTI-semitic" (quite different from "semitic") is almost always used to give the impression of a connection to "racist" / "race" / "racism".

Point taken. I just personally believe that people are misusing the term Semitic.

• @Mitchell said:

@Wolfgang said:

Point taken. I just personally believe that people are misusing the term Semitic.

this may well be the case ....

By the way, just heard news in the German public radio station that the new German foreign minister during his first visit to Israel, equated in his speech "anti-semitism" and "racism" ... Of course, he actually was referring to "opposition to and criticism of the politics of the Israel/Zionist regime", but since such an expression would not be regarded as something bad by most people in the West, he spoke instead of "anti-semitism / racism" which immediately makes it sound as if it were the most terrible crime one could commit.

• C Mc
    C Mc Posts: 4,463

OK. "All men are created equal." Where do we go from here? CM

• Dave_L
    Dave_L Posts: 2,362

I believe as soon as we depict someone as being semitic we are being kind of a quasi-racist. We've already arrived at an Us and Them mindset. I prefer to think of the folks who live in the middle east, or America, or Indiana....

• GaoLu
    GaoLu Posts: 1,368

Good grief, is that what racist means nowadays?

• Dave_L
    edited March 2018

@GaoLu said:

Yes....In my book. BTW this IS Dave's "One Man" take on things. Because God made of one blood all nations. So to call someone a semite, or lable them by any other ethnicity draws a line creating a racist mentality.

• C Mc

@Mitchell said:

@Wolfgang said:

The preposition anti. "for." which has the meaning of "in place of." Is NT preposition "anti" applicable here? CM

• dct112685
    dct112685 Posts: 1,114

@Dave_L said:

@GaoLu said:

Yes....In my book. BTW this IS Dave's "One Man" take on things. Because God made of one blood all nations. So to call someone a semite, or lable them by any other ethnicity draws a line creating a racist mentality.

Yet God clearly recognized people groups in Scripture. The Jews were the chosen people. Hmm.... Does that make God a racist?

• Dave_L

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@GaoLu said:

Yet God clearly recognized people groups in Scripture. The Jews were the chosen people. Hmm.... Does that make God a racist?

Every Jew is born a gentile. It was circumcision and membership in the community that made one a Jew.

• C Mc

Dave,
    I have heard something in my day, but this...

Many people may take issue with you on your position, especially in Israel. I know people can convert to Judaism, but to a Jew...

Please explain your position and why you believe what you believe. Let me see if I can suggest an anchor point to work from. Choose any one of these:

1. On becoming a Jew.
    2. The making of a Jew.
    3. The metamorphosis of a gentile into a Jew.

Please cite references and examples. CM

• Dave_L

@C_M_ said:
    Dave,
    I have heard something in my day, but this...

Many people may take issue with you on your position, especially in Israel. I know people can convert to Judaism, but to a Jew...

Please explain your position and why you believe what you believe. Let me see if I can suggest an anchor point to work from. Choose any one of these:

1. On becoming a Jew.
    2. The making of a Jew.
    3. The metamorphosis of a gentile into a Jew.

Please cite references and examples. CM

Abraham had 300+ soldiers unrelated to him. And one blood relative Ishmael his son. All became Abraham's covenant seed through circumcision.

The non relatives remained as his covenant seed but Ishmael his son did not after his expulsion from the community.

Circumcision made one the covenant seed whether related or not. And if they did not receive circumcision, they were not covenant seed.

When Israel left Egypt, they were a mixed multitude of family and converts, all considered Israel based on circumcision.

Israel was a lot like the Royal Family in the UK. And the UK is a mixture of family and citizens. In Esther's day, many of the Babylonians became Jews when the Jews defeated Haaman and his followers.

This is a start, please ask if you have any questions.