Facts About Military on the Border

U.S. Law Restricts what the Military Can Do at the Border

The law that allows state-based National Guard troops to support federal efforts is called Title 32 of the United States Code. Under this title, state governors can deploy their state National Guard troops to support a federal mission, while remaining under the governors’ control.

The law allows a governor to place state National Guard troops in full-time status, under the command and control of the state but funded with federal dollars.

The Defense Department oversees the operational missions of National Guard assets called into Title 32 status, after negotiation with the governors, and in close coordination with the Department of Homeland Security.

U.S. law prohibits active-duty military from performing law enforcement functions within U.S. territory except in very restricted cases.

The Posse Comitatus Act, signed into law in the late 1800s, prohibits the use of federal military assets in support of enforcing domestic policies.

The act applies to federal military but does not apply to National Guard troops acting under state authority. Governors can order National Guard troops to assist with law enforcement under the governor’s authority within state law. However, immigration and customs law is considered federal law enforcement and therefore, not under state authority.

Therefore, National Guard troops deployed under Title 32 cannot make arrests or seizures at the border.
Any National Guard troops deployed to the border have mostly performed support functions, allowing more Border Patrol agents to actively patrol the border.

Both Presidents George W. Bush and Barack Obama deployed National Guard troops to assist the Border Patrol during their administrations.

1. Bush created “Operation Jumpstart” that deployed up to 6,000 National Guard troops at any given time, who performed duties such as monitoring surveillance, assisting with vehicle maintenance, and fixing border fences.

Under this operation, National Guard troops remained under the control of their state’s respective governors, but the federal government reimbursed the states for the costs of the deployment.

2. Obama deployed 1,200 National Guard troops during his first term under similar arrangements but focused more on aerial surveillance.

Please, Mr. Reformed, Troops on the border is a show! And at best, they can only function in a support role like when other President sent them. Stop with the misleading and scare tactics! CM

PS. Reformed, now that you have the facts, your opinions on this matter wouldn't be so repugnant. CM

Comments

• reformed
    reformed Posts: 3,176

@C_M_ said:

U.S. Law Restricts what the Military Can Do at the Border

The law that allows state-based National Guard troops to support federal efforts is called Title 32 of the United States Code. Under this title, state governors can deploy their state National Guard troops to support a federal mission, while remaining under the governors’ control.

The law allows a governor to place state National Guard troops in full-time status, under the command and control of the state but funded with federal dollars.

The Defense Department oversees the operational missions of National Guard assets called into Title 32 status, after negotiation with the governors, and in close coordination with the Department of Homeland Security.

U.S. law prohibits active-duty military from performing law enforcement functions within U.S. territory except in very restricted cases.

The Posse Comitatus Act, signed into law in the late 1800s, prohibits the use of federal military assets in support of enforcing domestic policies.

The act applies to federal military but does not apply to National Guard troops acting under state authority. Governors can order National Guard troops to assist with law enforcement under the governor’s authority within state law. However, immigration and customs law is considered federal law enforcement and therefore, not under state authority.

Therefore, National Guard troops deployed under Title 32 cannot make arrests or seizures at the border.
    Any National Guard troops deployed to the border have mostly performed support functions, allowing more Border Patrol agents to actively patrol the border.

Both Presidents George W. Bush and Barack Obama deployed National Guard troops to assist the Border Patrol during their administrations.

1. Bush created “Operation Jumpstart” that deployed up to 6,000 National Guard troops at any given time, who performed duties such as monitoring surveillance, assisting with vehicle maintenance, and fixing border fences.

Under this operation, National Guard troops remained under the control of their state’s respective governors, but the federal government reimbursed the states for the costs of the deployment.

2. Obama deployed 1,200 National Guard troops during his first term under similar arrangements but focused more on aerial surveillance.

Please, Mr. Reformed, Troops on the border is a show! And at best, they can only function in a support role like when other President sent them. Stop with the misleading and scare tactics! CM

PS. Reformed, now that you have the facts, your opinions on this matter wouldn't be so repugnant. CM

This is not the same scenario other presidents have faced. This is an invasion.

• C Mc
    C Mc Posts: 4,463
    edited October 2018

@reformed said:

You're full of fear. Don't believe Fox News. Don't believe Trump.

America arms are opened to all.

• "Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door"! The Statue of Liberty-Ellis Island Foundation, Inc.

This is a sonnet that American poet **Emma Lazarus** (1849–1887) wrote in 1883 to raise money for the construction of a pedestal for the Statue of Liberty. In 1903, the poem was cast onto a bronze plaque and mounted inside the pedestal's lower level.

You and your people came here. Why do you want to shut the doors on others? Stop being selfish. CM

• reformed

@C_M_ said:

@reformed said:

You're full of fear. Don't believe Fox News. Don't believe Trump.

Who says I watch Fox News?

America arms are opened to all.

No they are not.

• "Give me your tired, your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door"! The Statue of Liberty-Ellis Island Foundation, Inc.

Of course this poem is not official in any capacity, you realize that right?

This is a sonnet that American poet **Emma Lazarus** (1849–1887) wrote in 1883 to raise money for the construction of a pedestal for the Statue of Liberty. In 1903, the poem was cast onto a bronze plaque and mounted inside the pedestal's lower level.

You and your people came here. Why do you want to shut the doors on others? Stop being selfish. CM

Go away, you know nothing and have no bearing on this country. Mind your own business.

• C Mc

Fifty-two hundred troops to the border -- one more distraction and a political show. Don't buy it. Women and children on feet, a 1,000 mile away from US Border (est. distant from Texas to Flordia). They are not a threat to America. They are not enemies. This is scaring up votes. They are seeking to immigrate and some asylum. Trump is desperate! CM

• reformed

@C_M_ said:
    Fifty-two hundred troops to the border -- one more distraction and a political show. Don't buy it. Women and children on feet, a 1,000 mile away from US Border (est. distant from Texas to Flordia). They are not a threat to America. They are not enemies. This is scaring up votes. They are seeking to immigrate and some asylum. Trump is desperate! CM

It's not just women and children. They are a threat. Trump isn't desperate.

• C Mc

ha, ha, ha....CM

• reformed

@C_M_ said:
    ha, ha, ha....CM

Which part of that was funny? The part that I pointed out a factual error? What?

• C Mc

@reformed said:

@C_M_ said:
    ha, ha, ha....CM

Which part of that was funny? The part that I pointed out a factual error? What?

It appears you suffer from Trumpitis (Trump + itis). :| CM

• reformed

@C_M_ said:

@reformed said:

@C_M_ said:
    ha, ha, ha....CM

It appears you suffer from Trumpitis (Trump + itis). :| CM

Nope. I have common sense.

• C Mc

Reformed, you're going to make yourself sick. Stop trying to defend Trump. Ask GaoLu about trying to defend Mr. Trump. CM

• reformed

@C_M_ said:
    Reformed, you're going to make yourself sick. Stop trying to defend Trump. Ask GaoLu about trying to defend Mr. Trump. CM

I'm not defending Trump. He was not my first choice for President. But this is something that should be done no matter which President is in office. It's about national security.

• C Mc

@reformed said:

@C_M_ said:

I'm not defending Trump. He was not my first choice for President. But this is something that should be done no matter which President is in office. It's about national security.

Reformed, I don't agree! This is about fearmongering for votes to win your mid-terms. Don't buy this wooden-nickel of reasoning. It appears that only Southerners and extremists buy Mr. Trump's can of spoiled soup. CM

• reformed

@C_M_ said:

@reformed said:

@C_M_ said:

Reformed, I don't agree! This is about fearmongering for votes to win your mid-terms. Don't buy this wooden-nickel of reasoning. It appears that only Southerners and extremists buy Mr. Trump's can of spoiled soup. CM

No, it is common sense. Open Borders equal no security.

• C Mc

America should be ashamed of herself, fearing unarmed mothers and children on foot, over a thousand miles from its southern borders. This is what, extreme internal, looking at self will get you. Asylum seekers and immigrants seem to be America's Achilles' heel*. CM

*An Achilles' heel is a weakness in spite of overall strength, which can lead to downfall. While the mythological origin refers to a physical vulnerability, idiomatic references to other attributes or qualities that can lead to downfall are common.

• reformed

@C_M_ said:

America should be ashamed of herself, fearing unarmed mothers and children on foot, over a thousand miles from its southern borders. This is what, extreme internal, looking at self will get you. Asylum seekers and immigrants seem to be America's Achilles' heel*. CM

*An Achilles' heel is a weakness in spite of overall strength, which can lead to downfall. While the mythological origin refers to a physical vulnerability, idiomatic references to other attributes or qualities that can lead to downfall are common.

Have you seen the video of these thugs tearing down gates and throwing objects at guards? These are not sweet innocent women and children.

• C Mc

@reformed said:

Have you seen the video of these thugs tearing down gates and throwing objects at guards? These are not sweet innocent women and children.

If what you said were true, Elephant America is afraid of a mouse (unarmed mothers and children on foot)? Sad! CM

• reformed

@C_M_ said:

@reformed said:

If what you said were true, Elephant America is afraid of a mouse (unarmed mothers and children on foot)? Sad! CM

Love how you ignored reality. These are not innocent women and children. They are unlawful, unruly, invading thugs. They do not belong here.

You have indicated you are not American so mind your own business. Or better yet, bring them to your country.

• C Mc

I am sorry to say, you're wrong on the two points stated. I never said what country I reside.
    Reformed, you're unfairly labeling these people. You need to discontinue this unkindness against these young mothers and children. CM

• reformed

@C_M_ said:
    I am sorry to say, you're wrong on the two points stated. I never said what country I reside.
    Reformed, you're unfairly labeling these people. You need to discontinue this unkindness against these young mothers and children. CM

I'm not unfairly labeling anyone. They are coming with intent to break the law. That makes them lawbreakers. They are destroying property and attacking guards. That makes them thugs.

• C Mc

@reformed said:

@C_M_ said:

I'm not unfairly labeling anyone. They are coming with intent to break the law. That makes them lawbreakers. They are destroying property and attacking guards. That makes them thugs.

Yes, you are! These helpless people are a thousand miles from the US Southern border. You need to get a grip. It's not healthy to be so fearful.

PS. America is being a Chicken Little.

America, it's not!

These women did not abort, why can't America support! CM

• reformed

@C_M_ said:

@reformed said:

@C_M_ said:

Yes, you are! These helpless people are a thousand miles from the US Southern border. You need to get a grip. It's not healthy to be so fearful.

PS. America is being a Chicken Little.

America, it's not!

These women did not abort, why can't America support! CM

Not chicken little, you are in denial of reality.

• reformed

Or an idiot
    Or both
    Probably both

• C Mc

@reformed said:
    Or an idiot
    Or both
    Probably both

You don't have to be rude. CM

• reformed

@C_M_ said:

@reformed said:
    Or an idiot
    Or both
    Probably both

You don't have to be rude. CM

Stating factual observations.

• C Mc

Do you care about taking away the training of the soldiers in US Military preparedness? Wasted time, money, and training, in other climates, all for a bunch of unarmed mothers and children on foot, a thousand miles away from America's most southern border. Just to hear of the mothers coming, the big bad US shaking in her boots and cowboy hat. CM

• reformed

@C_M_ said:
    Do you care about taking away the training of the soldiers in US Military preparedness? Wasted time, money, and training, in other climates, all for a bunch of unarmed mothers and children on foot, a thousand miles away from America's most southern border. Just to hear of the mothers coming, the big bad US shaking in her boots and cowboy hat. CM

Taking training away by putting them on an actual mission? No, that's what they train for. This is not wasted time, money or training. It is not unarmed mothers and children that make up the entirety of this mob. This is exatly what I want the military to be doing, protect the homeland.

• C Mc

This is theater and show for today. CM

• reformed

@C_M_ said:

No, it isn't. There is a legitimate threat to the homeland. You can say it is just helpless women and children all you want but facts dispute that.

• C Mc

@reformed said:

@C_M_ said:

No, it isn't. There is a legitimate threat to the homeland. You can say it is just helpless women and children all you want but facts dispute that.

Why no discussion of this on your Fox news today? Your Mr. Trump is angry Dems win. His fear tactics didn't work. CM

• reformed

@C_M_ said:

@reformed said:

@C_M_ said:

Why no discussion of this on your Fox news today? Your Mr. Trump is angry Dems win. His fear tactics didn't work. CM

You know I don't watch Fox News right?