Days of Creation: Seven Days or Seven Thousand Years?

2»

Comments

• Brother Rando
    Brother Rando Posts: 1,322
    edited May 2021

In Exodus 3:14 Moses asks God to tell him what to say to the people when they ask who sent Moses to them. God tells Moses, “This is what you are to say to the Israelites: ‘[אֶהְיֶה] has sent me to you.’ 

================================================================================================================

You might want to read whom Moses was actually speaking too, since "No Man has Seen God at Any Time". (John 1:18) Then Jehovah’s angel appeared to him in a flame of fire in the midst of a thornbush. As he kept looking, he saw that the thornbush was on fire, and yet the thornbush was not consumed. (Exodus 3:2) The truth never changes...

Thankful for Google transliterates יהוה in English as Jehovah. Visit JW.org about whom Jesus Christ calls the Only True God in (John 17:3)

• Concur God's Holy Truth is consistent:

And Moses was a shepherd with the flock of Jethro, his father-in-law, the priest of Midian, and he led the flock to the west of the desert, and he came to the mountain of God*, to Horeb. And the angel of Yahweh appeared to him in a flame of fire from the midst of a bush, and he looked, and there was the bush burning with fire, but the bush was not being consumed. And Moses said, “Let me turn aside and see this great sight. Why does the bush not burn up?” And Yahweh saw that he turned aside to see, and God* called to him from the midst of the bush, and he said, “Moses, Moses.” And he said, “Here I am.” And he said, “You must not come near to here. Take off your sandals from on your feet, because the place on which you are standing, it is holy ground.” And he said, “I am the God* of your father, the God* of Abraham, the God* of Isaac, and the God* of Jacob.” And Moses hid his face because he was afraid of looking at God*. And Yahweh said, “Surely I have seen the misery of my people who are in Egypt, and I have heard their cry of distress because of their oppressors, for I know their sufferings. And I have come down to deliver them from the hand of the Egyptians and to bring them up from this land to a good and wide land, to a land flowing with milk and honey, to the place of the Canaanites and the Hittites and the Amorites and the Perizzites and the Hivites and the Jebusites. And now, look, the cry of distress of the Israelites has come to me, and also I see the oppression with which the Egyptians are oppressing them. And now come, and I will send you to Pharaoh, and you must bring my people, the Israelites, out from Egypt.” But Moses said to God*, “Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh and that I should bring the Israelites out from Egypt?” And he said, “Because I am with you, and this will be the sign for you that I myself have sent you: When you bring the people out from Egypt, you will serve God* on this mountain.” But Moses said to God*, “Look, if I go to the Israelites and I say to them, ‘The God* of your ancestors has sent me to you,’ and they say to me, ‘What is his name?’ then what shall I say to them?” And God* said to Moses, “I am that I am.” And he said, “So you must say to the Israelites, ‘I am sent me to you.’ ” (Exodus 3:1-14 LEB)

Who spoke to Moses ? God* indicates Hebrew אֱלֹהִ֜ים elohim (plural), which has singular pronouns showing Holy God's unique unity.

And Moses took the tent and pitched it outside the camp far from the camp, and he called it the tent of assembly, and all seeking Yahweh would go out to the tent of assembly, which was outside the camp. And at the going out of Moses to the tent, all the people would rise and stand, each at the opening of his tent, and gaze after Moses until his entering the tent. And at the entering of Moses into the tent the column of cloud would descend and stand at the opening of the tent, and he would speak with Moses. And all the people would see the column of cloud standing at the opening of the tent, and all the people would rise and bow in worship, each at the opening of his tent. And Yahweh would speak to Moses face to face, as a man speaks to his neighbor. And he would return to the camp, and his assistant Joshua the son of Nun, a young man, did not leave the middle of the tent. And Moses said to Yahweh, “See, you are saying to me, ‘Take this people up.’ But you have not let me know whom you will send with me, and you yourself have said, ‘I know you by name, and you also have found favor in my eyes.’ And now if I have found favor in your eyes, make known to me, please, your way, and so I may know you so that I can find favor in your eyes. And see that this nation is your people.” And he said, “My presence will go, and I will give you rest.” And he said to him, “If your presence is not going, do not bring us up from here. And by what will it be known then that I have found favor in your eyes, I and your people? Is it not by your going with us? And so we will be distinguished, I and your people, from all the people who are on the face of the ground.” And Yahweh said to Moses, “Also I will do this thing that you have spoken, because you have found favor in my eyes and I have known you by name.” And he said, “Please show me your glory.” And he said, “I myself will cause all my goodness to pass over before you, and I will proclaim the name of Yahweh before you, and I will be gracious to whom I will be gracious, and I will show compassion to whom I will show compassion.” But he said, “You are not able to see my face, because a human will not see me and live.” And Yahweh said, “There is a place with me, and you will stand on the rock. And when my glory passes over, I will put you in the rock’s crevice, and I will cover you with my hand until I pass over. And I will remove my hand, and you will see my back, but my face will not be visible.” (Exodus 33:7-23 LEB)

Who talked face to face with Moses ? What Glory was Moses not allowed to see ?

“Do not let your hearts be troubled. You believe in God; believe also in me. In my Father’s house there are many dwelling places; but if not, I would have told you, because I am going away to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to myself, so that where I am, you may be also. And you know the way where I am going.” Thomas said to him, “Lord, we do not know where you are going. How are we able to know the way?” Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you had known me, you would have known my Father also. From now on you know him and have seen him.” Philip said to him, “Lord, show us the Father, and it is enough for us.” Jesus said to him, “Am I with you so long a time and you have not known me, Philip? The one who has seen me has seen the Father! How can you say, ‘Show us the Father?’ Do you not believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words that I say to you I do not speak from myself, but the Father residing in me does his works. Believe me that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; but if not, believe because of the works themselves. Truly, truly I say to you, the one who believes in me, the works that I am doing he will do also, and he will do greater works than these because I am going to the Father. And whatever you ask in my name, I will do this, in order that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it. (John 14:1-14 LEB)

What did Jesus know about seeing God The Father ?

Jesus said these things, and lifting up his eyes to heaven he said, “Father, the hour has come! Glorify your Son, in order that your Son may glorify you—just as you have given him authority over all flesh, in order that he would give eternal life to them—everyone whom you have given him. Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent. I have glorified you on earth by completing the work that you have given me to do. And now, Father, you glorify me at your side with the glory that I had at your side before the world existed. “I have revealed your name to the men whom you gave me out of the world. They were yours, and you have given them to me, and they have kept your word. Now they understand that all the things that you have given me are from you, because the words that you gave to me I have given to them, and they received them and know truly that I have come from you, and they have believed that you have sent me. I am asking on behalf of them. I am not asking on behalf of the world, but on behalf of those whom you have given me, because they are yours, and all my things are yours, and your things are mine, and I have been glorified in them. And I am no longer in the world, and they are in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, keep them in your name, which you have given to me, so that they may be one, just as we are. When I was with them, I kept them in your name, which you have given to me, and guarded them, and none of them has perished except the son of destruction, in order that the scripture would be fulfilled. And now I am coming to you, and I am saying these things in the world so that they may have my joy completed in themselves. I have given them your word, and the world has hated them, because they are not of the world just as I am not of the world. I do not ask that you take them out of the world, but that you protect them from the evil one. They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. Sanctify them in the truth—your word is truth. Just as you sent me into the world, I also have sent them into the world. And for them I sanctify myself, so that they themselves also may be sanctified in the truth. “And I do not ask on behalf of these only, but also on behalf of those who believe in me through their word, that they all may be one, just as you, Father, are in me and I am in you, that they also may be in us, in order that the world may believe that you sent me. And the glory that you have given to me, I have given to them, in order that they may be one, just as we are one—I in them, and you in me, in order that they may be completed in one, so that the world may know that you sent me, and you have loved them just as you have loved me. “Father, those whom you have given to me—I want that those also may be with me where I am, in order that they may see my glory that you have given me because you loved me before the foundation of the world. Righteous Father, although the world does not know you, yet I have known you, and these men have come to know that you sent me. And I made known to them your name, and will make it known, in order that the love with which you loved me may be in them, and I may be in them.” (John 17:1-26 LEB)

Before God created anything, what Glory & Love did Jesus experience ? (John 17:5 & John 17:24)

Remember John 17:3 has a logical connector καὶ (and, even, also) between only true God & Jesus Christ (Greek text does not have a comma separator after καὶ)

By the way, Bible chapter and verse numbers lack consistent correspondence with original language discourse boundaries. Numbering was added about the same time as Hebrew consonants were combined with Adonai vowels:

WHAT ABOUT “JEHOVAH” AND “YAHWEH”?

The word “Jehovah” does not appear in Hebrew. The personal name for God, which God revealed to Moses is “Yahweh”. It means, “The One who is always present”. This word was so holy that the Israelites never said it aloud. To remind them, they wrote the consonants YHWH (for Yahweh), and the vowels of Adonai, which means “Lord”. When they spoke of God they said, “Adonai”, meaning Lord.

YHWH + Adonai = Jehovah

J • From “YHWH” translators took the letter Y, (which was often read as “J’),

• with the first vowel of Adonai (which was often read as “e”).

• They took the second consonant from “YHWH”, “H”,

• with the second vowel from Adonai, “O”.

• They took the third consonant from “YHWH”, “W”, (often read as “V”),

• with the third vowel from Adonai, “a.”

• Finally, they took the last consonant from “YHWH” “H.”

So the resulting hybrid word is “Jehovah.” Some translations now use Yahweh. Others translations insert Lord, using small capitals.

Mark Water, The Book of Genesis Made Easy, The Made Easy Series (Alresford, Hampshire: John Hunt Publishers Ltd, 2000), 63.

Jehovah. Name for God formed by adding the vowels of the Hebrew word Adonai to the consonants of the Hebrew divine name, YHWH. Out of their respect for God and their fear of defiling his name, the postexilic Jews refused to pronounce the divine name when reading Scripture. Instead they substituted Adonai, a word meaning “my Lord.” Prior to the 6th century ad, the Hebrew text had no vowels. These were supplied during the reading of the Scripture by one who was familiar with the language. When vowel points were added to the text (ad 600–700), the vowels of Adonai were placed below the consonants of YHWH to indicate that Adonai should be read.

It is thought that in about ad 1520 Petrus Galatinus conceived the idea of combining the two names, thus creating the new form YeHoWaH from which the English term Jehovah comes. Although this form was foreign to the Hebrew language, it gained wide acceptance and was included as the translation for God’s name in the kjv and asv. Biblical scholars now agree that the original pronunciation of the divine name was Yahweh or Jahveh.

Walter A. Elwell and Barry J. Beitzel, “Jehovah,” Baker Encyclopedia of the Bible (Grand Rapids, MI: Baker Book House, 1988), 1106.

Correctly pronounced, יהוה, is immensely Holy: Yahweh lacks emphasized vowel in the middle. My theory for Jews saying Adonai (Lord) instead of יהוה during scripture reading was avoiding Holiness pauses (worship).

Keep Smiling 😊

• Brother Rando
    Brother Rando Posts: 1,322

"These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God" (Revelation 3:14)

Whose the beginning of the creation of God?

In the Beginning was the Word (John 1:1)

the Firstborn of All Creation (Colossians 1:15)

Jehovah possessed me in the beginning of his wayBefore his works of old. I was set up from everlasting, from the beginning, Before the earth was. When there were no depths, I was brought forth, When there were no fountains abounding with water. (Proverbs 8:22-36)

Thankful for Google transliterates יהוה in English as Jehovah. Visit JW.org about whom Jesus Christ calls the Only True God in (John 17:3)

• C Mc
    C Mc Posts: 4,463

Gen 1-7 a paradigm for the history of the world and Israel (see handout by Gage, The Gospel of Genesis)

The days of creation in Genesis 1 and six, literal 24 hour days, explain the existence of the geological column. A literal creation week is inextricably linked with a worldwide flood.

Six times God evaluates each stage of his creation as good (Gen 1:4, 10, 12, 18, 21, 25).

The seventh time: 

-- The total finished creation receives the verdict of being “very good”.

-- The “VERY GOOD” of creation in Gen 1:31 is “a reference to the harmony and perfection of the created order and its complete correspondence to the divine purpose

Do you want to reconsider your position? CM

SOURCE: Gage, Warren. The Gospel of Genesis: Studies in Protology and Eschatology

• theMadJW
    theMadJW Posts: 168

Despite all your learning, you still don't understand John 1:1.

Have you ignored my itemized view of the context?

• reformed
    reformed Posts: 3,176
  • C Mc
    C Mc Posts: 4,463

John 1:1 — In [the] beginning the Word was, and the Word was with God, and the Word was a god". I know that at the end of this verse [literal Greek., "God was the Word"].

Could it be the source used that doesn't give accurate translations of Bible verses that normally indicate the deity of Christ?

John 1:1 — In the beginning was the Word [Creation is not mentioned until vs.3] -- Jesus eternally pre-existent.

JEHOVAH GOD CAN BE MORE THAN ONE BEING:

Genesis 3:22:

And Jehovah God went on to say: Here the man has become like one of us in knowing good and bad.”

The above text needs no comment, along with this text: Genesis 11:6, 7:

After that Jehovah said Come now! Let us go down and confuse their language.”

The concept of Jesus as “the holy one” is repeated throughout the New Testament, where He is referred to as “‘the Holy One of God’” (Mark 1:24) or the Old Testament God, and thus identified as a fully divine being. Matthew’s Gospel account begins with Jesus being called “‘Immanuel,’” or “‘God with us’” (Matt. 1:23). He is spoken of as God (John 1:1; 10:30) and referred to as behaving and speaking like God (John 8:58; 14:9). And when Jesus claimed to be “one” with the Father, the Jewish leaders contested His claim, charging Him with blasphemy (John 10:31–33).

Several passages speak of Christ eating and drinking and needing to sleep—helpful indications of his genuine humanity in the Gospel tradition (Matt 4:1–11; John 19:28; Mark 4:35–41).

Docetism, (Second-century controversy) taught that Christ only seemed (dokeo means “appears”) to be human and not a material being.

No, the "logos" didn't replace anything . In John 1:14, “The Word became flesh and dwelt among us”. Many today, some in these forums still promote the fourth-century heresy of Apollinarianism, which denied that Christ had a human soul. Let truth and context speak. CM