Why Study the Koine Greek Language with Peter Watts

13»

Comments

• Mitchell
    Mitchell Posts: 668

Hello again!

@YourTruthGod asked: Wow, good to know, so then why do you give clout to learning Hebrew and Greek?

That is actually one of the reasons why I give learning language clout. One the, pedagogy use in seminaries is in my opinion outdated, two students tend to only spend two semesters studying which is usually only one or two classes a week! That's not enough at all. People who come to Japanese language institutes for study ten to spend five days a week studying Japanese for at least a year, not two or more years. Two years five days a week I think is about average. In other words, would be ministers do not put in the time to master Hebrew and Greek in my opinion. Three, ministers studying Greek tend not to value it, or at least after their classes or over they do not continue to study or put in the time reading.

The above is part of the reason why I believe it is important to encourage the study of the original languages.

Learning other languages isn't for everyone of course, but that does not mean that no Christians should ever study a language.

@YourTruthGod: There are people who think they know God's Truth better because they study Greek..

In my experience, the most haughty individuals tend to be those who seem to have never studied anything (including their English translations) and never attempted master the languages nor the cultures for that matter. I have yet to meet random Christian missionaries nor other Christian individuals that could read the Bible in Greek. In this new relative age, most appeared to simply strongly believe in their interpretation or that of their tradition.

On the other hand, those who struggled with reading the Bible in the original languages until one day they finally reach an upper-intermediate level tended to be the most humble individuals I ever met. Why? I think probably because they know that there remains so much more to learn, while those who read a translation thing that everything is easy and super clear.

@YourTruthGod said: The truth remains the same, and you still could have been told in English that Jesus wasn't a Pagan God.

Indeed the truth remains the same however the truth still needs to be communicated. Anyone can preach the truth in English to a non-English speaker, but that does not mean that they have actually communicated the truth. I think of what Paul says in 1 Corinthians 9:20-22. There he is not just talking about language but also about cross-cultural communication we can know this from the book of Acts as well. Sometime he does use Aramaic, but in other cases like Acts 17:2 and through acts we can see that Paul didn't just make statements about the truth he reasoned with people or trying to speak in their language and in their manner like in Acts 17:27–28, where he quoted a pagan author.

The Christians and now my brothers in Christian did state clear that Jesus was not a Pagan God but they stopped there they did not explain who or what Jesus was/is. Nor did they inform me that 'Jesus' was actually a transliteration of name Yeshua which of course is a shorten form of the name Yĕhôshúa. Had they done that I would have quickly understood significance of Matthew 12:21 and Luke 1:31 and would have also understood that Jesus/Yeshua lived as a Jew and followed the God of the Bible. Unfortunately all I heard was the name Jesus which sounded like Zeus and the impossible last name Christ rather than the title Messiah or Moshiach. Could this have been explained in English sure if the would be missionaries knew enough about the history of their own language and if they had actually studied rather than just assumed they knew all the truth. Did they need to know the Biblical languages, no, but they did need to know my culture or my mind set in order to reach me.

@YourTruthGod said: I have been debating/discussing on the Iternet in many different groups with many different people for many years, and you are the first one who has spoken to me like this. I'm not sure what all your beliefs are yet, but I think you are a good person and glad to discuss with you.

I greatly appreciate your comments above. I really enjoy talking with you and I believe that we have a lot in common.

I appreciated Your deep passion for the Bible and for informing others of the need to be doers of the word and not only hears (James 1:22). Yours is an urgent message in time when on Sundays many go just for the show and leave 'church' living their lives completely as secular individuals. Today some people claim that Church is dying because of membership is decreasing, I don't think so. I believe that those who were never Christians and were never committed to following Christ are leaving the local congregations. Some may also be leaving because they recognized their congregations didn't put Christ and the scriptures first and so they joined another congregation that does.

@YourTruthGod said: She said a few things here and there that were really wise.

I believe you especially from what I have heard so far.

@YourTruthGod said: People usually are really rude to me, not sure why.

I am sorry to hear this. I think whether people/Christians agree or disagree they can still be polite about it.

Grace and Peace

• YourTruthGod
    YourTruthGod Posts: 260
    edited November 2020

Hello again!

@Mitchell

Hello, Michell.

That is actually one of the reasons why I give learning language clout. One the, pedagogy use in seminaries is in my opinion outdated, two students tend to only spend two semesters studying which is usually only one or two classes a week! That's not enough at all. People who come to Japanese language institutes for study ten to spend five days a week studying Japanese for at least a year, not two or more years. Two years five days a week I think is about average. In other words, would be ministers do not put in the time to master Hebrew and Greek in my opinion. Three, ministers studying Greek tend not to value it, or at least after their classes or over they do not continue to study or put in the time reading.

The above is part of the reason why I believe it is important to encourage the study of the original languages.

Learning other languages isn't for everyone of course, but that does not mean that no Christians should ever study a language.

Since I was blessed by Jesus saving me the way in which he did, there is no amount of Greek or Hebrew lessons that would make a difference.

What good does it do when training yourself from acting sexually immoral?

In my experience, the most haughty individuals tend to be those who seem to have never studied anything (including their English translations) and never attempted master the languages nor the cultures for that matter. I have yet to meet random Christian missionaries nor other Christian individuals that could read the Bible in Greek. In this new relative age, most appeared to simply strongly believe in their interpretation or that of their tradition.

The Bible is already translated into English, many times.

Jesus gives understanding to those who obey his commands.

On the other hand, those who struggled with reading the Bible in the original languages until one day they finally reach an upper-intermediate level tended to be the most humble individuals I ever met. Why? I think probably because they know that there remains so much more to learn, while those who read a translation thing that everything is easy and super clear.

The only humble thing to do is to not lean on your own understanding, but to humbly to what Jesus says to do.

Jesus says to humble ourselves like little children.

Little children are in a position to do everything their parents tell them to do.

We are to humble ourselves and repent of our sins.

Indeed the truth remains the same however the truth still needs to be communicated. Anyone can preach the truth in English to a non-English speaker, but that does not mean that they have actually communicated the truth. I think of what Paul says in 1 Corinthians 9:20-22. There he is not just talking about language but also about cross-cultural communication we can know this from the book of Acts as well. Sometime he does use Aramaic, but in other cases like Acts 17:2 and through acts we can see that Paul didn't just make statements about the truth he reasoned with people or trying to speak in their language and in their manner like in Acts 17:27–28, where he quoted a pagan author.

The Bible has been translated into just about every language of the world.

No one needs anyone to teach them the truth.

All one needs to do is get Jesus words in the New Testament and do what he says to do.

Jesus will save you and give understanding.

The Christians and now my brothers in Christian did state clear that Jesus was not a Pagan God but they stopped there they did not explain who or what Jesus was/is. Nor did they inform me that 'Jesus' was actually a transliteration of name Yeshua which of course is a shorten form of the name Yĕhôshúa. Had they done that I would have quickly understood significance of Matthew 12:21 and Luke 1:31 and would have also understood that Jesus/Yeshua lived as a Jew and followed the God of the Bible. Unfortunately all I heard was the name Jesus which sounded like Zeus and the impossible last name Christ rather than the title Messiah or Moshiach. Could this have been explained in English sure if the would be missionaries knew enough about the history of their own language and if they had actually studied rather than just assumed they knew all the truth. Did they need to know the Biblical languages, no, but they did need to know my culture or my mind set in order to reach me.

I called on the English pronounced name 'Jesus', even if it was the name of some Mexican males, even if it was close to the name Zeus. I called on the English pronounced name 'Jesus', and Jesus heard me and saved me.

I greatly appreciate your comments above. I really enjoy talking with you and I believe that we have a lot in common.

I hope you don't end up getting upset with me, like Wolfgang.

I appreciated Your deep passion for the Bible and for informing others of the need to be doers of the word and not only hears (James 1:22). Yours is an urgent message in time when on Sundays many go just for the show and leave 'church' living their lives completely as secular individuals. Today some people claim that Church is dying because of membership is decreasing, I don't think so. I believe that those who were never Christians and were never committed to following Christ are leaving the local congregations. Some may also be leaving because they recognized their congregations didn't put Christ and the scriptures first and so they joined another congregation that does.

Well, I was raised a Catholic and when I searched for God's Truth and not man's truth, I did study from the Jehovah Witnesses, and the Mormons, and after I was saved, I still thought I should join a denomination, and sought out the Pentecostal religion, Nazarene, Four Square, Word of Faith, Baptist, Church of Christ, etc, and have realized that none of those churches teach only the truth. They all teach error, even the non denominational churches, which really aren't non denominational.

The churches in the New Testament times are nothing like the churches nowadays.

I am sorry to hear this. I think whether people/Christians agree or disagree they can still be polite about it.

I think the same.

• Greetings

@YourTruthGod said: I hope you don't end up getting upset with me

You have done nothing that would make me upset.

@YourTruthGod said: Since I was blessed by Jesus saving me

Peter, Paul, and  Cornelius  all became Christians but the situations in which they accepted the Christ were not all identical. So while I listen to, and accept the value of your testimony I also accept the validity of testimony that are different from yours. Not all are called in the same situation.

@YourTruthGod said: The Bible is already translated into English, many times.

Thus far we are in agreement again. Unfortunately then availability of some many English translation has not prevented misinformation, misunderstanding, and misappropriation of the Holy Scriptures. When a native English speaker reads an English translation of the Bible he/she might assume that he/she understands the text but he/she might be very wrong or even mislead by a mistranslation or English words that have change meaning since the his/her translation was translated.

@YourTruthGod said: I called on the English pronounced name 'Jesus', even if it was the name of some Mexican males, even if it was close to the name Zeus. I called on the English pronounced name 'Jesus', and Jesus heard me and saved me.

Absolutely! Amen and amen! You did the right thing and I believe that your voice was heard and your were saved. However just as you were saved when you called on now English name Jesus and accept him as Lord So are others who call on Yeshua and the name in other languages, too. We all do not need to use the same language but if we are to reach others whose language is not the same as our own it may be very useful to know their language.

@YourTruthGod said: The churches in the New Testament times are nothing like the churches nowadays.

Agreed with you on this point as well.

Grace and peace

• @YourTruthGod wrote:

I hope you don't end up getting upset with me, like Wolfgang.

Have you ever wondered why you think that I -- and from another of your post it seemed quite a few others also -- "get upset" with you when trying to have an exchange about biblical matters? Who or what is the common denominator in these various different situations with different people??

I am getting upset with people who do not reply in detail to questions asked but instead throw all sorts of unsupported claims into a conversation, and do so because they apparently are not interested in a real exchange and studying together the Biblical texts.

• If I wasn't interested I wouldn't have commented. As for you saying I say thing irrelevant---you haven't proven that.

• Greetings

You have done nothing that would make me upset.

Greeting to you, Brian. See that, you are different. It is nice to meet someone positive.

Peter, Paul, and Cornelius  all became Christians but the situations in which they accepted the Christ were not all identical. So while I listen to, and accept the value of your testimony I also accept the validity of testimony that are different from yours. Not all are called in the same situation.

Peter, Paul, Cornelius, and ALL people are saved the same way.

Thus far we are in agreement again. Unfortunately then availability of some many English translation has not prevented misinformation, misunderstanding, and misappropriation of the Holy Scriptures. When a native English speaker reads an English translation of the Bible he/she might assume that he/she understands the text but he/she might be very wrong or even mislead by a mistranslation or English words that have change meaning since the his/her translation was translated.

Again, understanding comes after you get Jesus' teachings and obey them.

The Bible doesn't have any errors to send you into false doctrines, unless you are not careful. The Bible says to be careful, and to consider carefully. There are people who think Jesus tells everyone to leave home and family to become traveling ministers.

Absolutely! Amen and amen! You did the right thing and I believe that your voice was heard and your were saved. However just as you were saved when you called on now English name Jesus and accept him as Lord So are others who call on Yeshua and the name in other languages, too. We all do not need to use the same language but if we are to reach others whose language is not the same as our own it may be very useful to know their language.

It makes no difference to say Yeshua, or Yahshua, or Jesus.

• Mitchell

greetings

@YourTruthGod said: Peter, Paul, Cornelius, and ALL people are saved the same way.

Assuming that you would say this before hand I specifically used the term 'situations' in my above post. Why, because although all are save through the Messiah our Savior's sacrifice all are not save in that same situation, in the save events, at the same age, at the same time and so on. We, all do not share the experiences and stories.

Peter spent time being taught by the Messiah before his death and resurrection after which Peter got to see the glorified Messiah again. Paul on the other hand was on his way from Jerusalem to Damascus when he experienced a christophany (Acts 9:3–9) and then later Ananias placed his hands on Paul so that he could see again and Paul was then baptized ( Acts 9:13–19). Cornelius had a very different background from both Peter and Paul. The events of Cornelius conversion story again are different from Peter's and Paul's conversion stories. Did Cornelius experience a Christophany on the road to Damascus? Was Cornelius one of the 12 disciples before the Messiah's death and resurrection? Paul in 1 Corinthians 7:17- 7:24 more than hints that not not all are called in the same situations, nor do all come from the same backgrounds, or languages (Revelation 7:9).

The important point found in 1 Corinthians 7:19

@YourTruthGod said: The Bible doesn't have any errors to send you into false doctrines, unless you are not careful. The Bible says to be careful, and to consider carefully.

We are in full agreement on this point. However, I will not and can not make the same claims about the translations of the Bible.

@YourTruthGod said: It makes no difference to say Yeshua, or Yahshua, or Jesus.

Of course! When addressing our load it makes no differences what language we use. However when tI rying to reach others whose cultural background, ways of thinking, and language is different from others it can make a big difference.

Sure, the language we use to address and pray to our Savior makes no difference to our Savior at all.

However, when sharing, teaching, or trying to communicate with others who do not share the same language, social, or cultural backgrounds the language used and cultural sensitivity may be very important in making sure that the intend message is actually heard.

For example a number of missionaries come to Japan to try to teach the gospel and the concept of sin, but they tend to use a Japanese word means crime and has no theological nuance or connotation at all. Japanese end up thinking that the foreign missionaries are accusing them of breaking the national law. The message that there is salvation from spiritual sin is complete lost or never communicated in the first place. This example is just of one of the same issues. There are a lot of other bigger problems that missionaries have created for themselves. But, this example is simular to my experiance. Before I became a Christian I did not know that Christ was a title meaning the Messiah/Moshiach. 'Christ' I thought was some kind of strange last name. Could others have explained things clearly to me sure, if they had been more observant and realized the need for contextualization they could have. However, I came to discover and understand these things apart from the unskilled yet ever zealous evangelical types.

@YourTruthGod said: Greeting to you, Brian. See that, you are different. It is nice to meet someone positive.

'different' is correct! I have always been a misfit and maybe a bit eccentric. Than you again! When I was a child my optimism came from my naivety, after I became a Christian my optimism comes from knowing that God is in control of everything and delighting in following his instructions.

Grace and Peace

• YourTruthGod
    YourTruthGod Posts: 260
    edited November 2020

@Mitchell

Assuming that you would say this before hand I specifically used the term 'situations' in my above post. Why, because although all are save through the Messiah our Savior's sacrifice all are not save in that same situation, in the save events, at the same age, at the same time and so on. We, all do not share the experiences and stories.

Who would think we are all saved the same age and same time?

There is only one way to be saved, and that goes for everyone.

We have to do what Jesus says to do to get saved.

Peter spent time being taught by the Messiah before his death and resurrection after which Peter got to see the glorified Messiah again. Paul on the other hand was on his way from Jerusalem to Damascus when he experienced a christophany (Acts 9:3–9) and then later Ananias placed his hands on Paul so that he could see again and Paul was then baptized ( Acts 9:13–19). Cornelius had a very different background from both Peter and Paul. The events of Cornelius conversion story again are different from Peter's and Paul's conversion stories. Did Cornelius experience a Christophany on the road to Damascus? Was Cornelius one of the 12 disciples before the Messiah's death and resurrection? Paul in 1 Corinthians 7:17- 7:24 more than hints that not not all are called in the same situations, nor do all come from the same backgrounds, or languages (Revelation 7:9).

The important point found in 1 Corinthians 7:19

Peter, Paul, and Cornelius are saved by believing and obeying Jesus.

Peter and Paul and Cornelius had to have a right heart before God accepted them and gave them His Holy Spirit.

Listen to what Jesus told his apostles, including Peter:

John 14:23 Jesus replied, "Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them.

Jesus accepts those who do right: Acts 10:35 but that in every nation those who fear Him and live good lives are acceptable to Him.

Cornelius feared God and was a righteous man who prayed to God.

Acts 10:2 He and all his family were devout and God-fearing; he gave generously to those in need and prayed to God regularly. 

The Apostle Paul had to do what Jesus said too, before he was saved:

Paul wasn’t saved yet on that road to Damascus when he finally believed.

Acts 9:6 And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do? And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the city, and it shall be told thee what thou must do. 

Paul was not saved as soon as he believed Jesus on that road to Damascus. This proves faith alone is not a true doctrine. Paul had to find out what he had to do; Jesus told him where to go, Paul obeyed and went. Paul did not eat or drink for three days and he spent that time praying. 

Acts 9:9 And he was three days without sight, and neither ate nor drank.

Can you imagine the prayers of Paul?! Paul no doubt was crying and asking God to forgive him for all his sins.

Acts 9:11 The Lord told him, "Go to the house of Judas on Straight Street and ask for a man from Tarsus named Saul, for he is praying.

Acts 9:17 And Ananias went his way, and entered into the house; and putting his hands on him said, Brother Saul, the Lord, even Jesus, that appeared unto thee in the way as thou camest, hath sent me, that thou mightest receive thy sight, and be filled with the Holy Ghost.

18 And immediately there fell from his eyes as it had been scales: and he received sight forthwith, and arose, and was baptized.

The disciple Ananias put his hands on Paul and he received his sight. Then Paul got up and WAS WATER BAPTIZED after that. This all happened to the praying Paul who no doubt repented of his sins and asked for forgiveness.

Acts 22:16 And now what are you waiting for? Get up, be baptized and wash your sins away, calling on his name.'

When Paul had his vision restored to him, he was told to get up, be baptized and wash his sins away, calling on the Lord.

When people were baptized with water that was symbolic of having their sins washed away, after they repented.

In addition, people came out of the water after repenting and being baptized, they called upon the name of the Lord.

We are told to believe, and repent, and to call upon the name of the Lord.

Of course! When addressing our load it makes no differences what language we use. However when tI rying to reach others whose cultural background, ways of thinking, and language is different from others it can make a big difference.

Sure, the language we use to address and pray to our Savior makes no difference to our Savior at all.

However, when sharing, teaching, or trying to communicate with others who do not share the same language, social, or cultural backgrounds the language used and cultural sensitivity may be very important in making sure that the intend message is actually heard.

For example a number of missionaries come to Japan to try to teach the gospel and the concept of sin, but they tend to use a Japanese word means crime and has no theological nuance or connotation at all. Japanese end up thinking that the foreign missionaries are accusing them of breaking the national law. The message that there is salvation from spiritual sin is complete lost or never communicated in the first place. This example is just of one of the same issues. There are a lot of other bigger problems that missionaries have created for themselves. But, this example is simular to my experiance. Before I became a Christian I did not know that Christ was a title meaning the Messiah/Moshiach. 'Christ' I thought was some kind of strange last name. Could others have explained things clearly to me sure, if they had been more observant and realized the need for contextualization they could have. However, I came to discover and understand these things apart from the unskilled yet ever zealous evangelical types.

Those missionaries were probably teaching some errors anyway, which hinders people from getting saved as they promote their denomination.

The Japanese people can get the Bible translated in Japanese.

If they want to be saved and know God, they are to get Jesus' teachings and do what he says.

There are something like 90 times in the New Testament the words 'Christ Jesus', 'Christ' being first.

Philippians 2:5 In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus:

God came as Jesus Christ.

The word 'Christ' is interchangeable with the word 'God', 'Christ', and 'Lord'.

All these scriptures I am going to give, they are concerning the time in the desert with Moses:

Read this first scripture, it is Paul saying 'Christ' when talking about the time with Moses in the desert:

1 Corinthians 10:9 We should not test Christ, as some of them did--and were killed by snakes.

That scripture shows us that Christ was in the desert with Moses.

This next scripture is Moses speaking about TESTING THE LORD:

Exodus 17:2 Therefore the people quarreled with Moses and said, "Give us water that we may drink." And Moses said to them, "Why do you quarrel with me? Why do you test the LORD?"

Now read this scripture:

Psalm 106:14 But craved intensely in the wilderness, And tempted God in the desert.

Did you read that?

Test who in the desert?

So we see that the word 'Christ', 'LORD', and 'God' are interchangeable.

'different' is correct! I have always been a misfit and maybe a bit eccentric. Than you again! When I was a child my optimism came from my naivety, after I became a Christian my optimism comes from knowing that God is in control of everything and delighting in following his instructions.

You really are a good person. I hope you don't think that I am questioning your salvation and love for God while I share my beliefs of the written words of God.

• @YourTruthGod wrote

The word 'Christ' is interchangeable with the word 'God', 'Christ', and 'Lord'.

This is an incorrect assumption. and as such a false premise for further conclusions and interpretations of subsequent verses given.

• Mitchell

@YourTruthGod said: There is only one way to be saved, and that goes for everyone.

Again, my point is that we are not all saved in the same situations and events. This is not about the mode of salvation but the rather the circumstances or the time and place in life one finds themselves in. If, you understood this was what I was said then I am sorry for repeating myself, but your lengthy reply about the mode of salvation leads me to believe that you misunderstood the fact that I was not addressing the mode of salvation but rather the situations, circumstances, and events in life.

@YourTruthGod said: Those missionaries were probably teaching some errors anyway, which hinders people from getting saved as they promote their denomination.

I agree mostly with your statement about as I too believe that vast majority of missionaries are very clearly trying to promote their associations and or denominations. If, not they would not be targeting Christians who belong to other denomination, sects, or association of Christianity.

....But the problem is that the word “sin” is translated into Japanese as “tsumi.' And tsumi primarily has the connotation of crime, or some obvious public misdemeanor. But there are very few of the proper, conforming, law-abiding Japanese who have committed crimes – at least not when compared to America’s record! So the instinctive reaction to the Christian preacher’s message about tsumi is, “What’s all this talk about us being criminals! That message certainly doesn’t fit us.' So this part of the Christian message doesn’t go over well, partly because of this unfortunate translation, or should we say, the impossibility of a good translation of this concept of human imperfection and the need for some kind of salvation.

Intercultural Communication Studies VIII-1 1998-9 Kenneth J. Dale152

@YourTruthGod said: If they want to be saved and know God, they are to get Jesus' teachings and do what he says.

For this to happen one has to first be informed that there is a need to be saved, and what it is that they need to be saved from.

Why Christianity is not widely believed in Japan

http://www.projectjapan.org/pj/Article/Entries/2013/8/16_Why_Is_Christianity_Not_Widely_Believed_in_Japan.html

Why are Japanese Christians so few

http://www.projectjapan.org/pj/Article/Entries/2013/8/16_Why_Is_Christianity_Not_Widely_Believed_in_Japan.html

https://www.abwe.org/serve/countries/japan "Most Japanese people have never met a Christian, seen a Bible, and do not know about Jesus"

@YourTruthGod said: When Paul had his vision restored to him, he was told to get up, be baptized and wash his sins away, calling on the Lord.

I do like that you have repeatedly empathized Baptism(i.e. immersion) or the טְבִילָה Tevilah

Grace and Peace

• @Mitchell

Again, my point is that we are not all saved in the same situations and events. This is not about the mode of salvation but the rather the circumstances or the time and place in life one finds themselves in. If, you understood this was what I was said then I am sorry for repeating myself, but your lengthy reply about the mode of salvation leads me to believe that you misunderstood the fact that I was not addressing the mode of salvation but rather the situations, circumstances, and events in life.

I think I understood that.

Peter, Paul, and Cornelius were all saved the same way.

Each of them had to obey Jesus and repent of their sins.

I agree mostly with your statement about as I too believe that vast majority of missionaries are very clearly trying to promote their associations and or denominations. If, not they would not be targeting Christians who belong to other denomination, sects, or association of Christianity.

That is a good point.

....But the problem is that the word “sin” is translated into Japanese as “tsumi.' And tsumi primarily has the connotation of crime, or some obvious public misdemeanor. But there are very few of the proper, conforming, law-abiding Japanese who have committed crimes – at least not when compared to America’s record! So the instinctive reaction to the Christian preacher’s message about tsumi is, “What’s all this talk about us being criminals! That message certainly doesn’t fit us.' So this part of the Christian message doesn’t go over well, partly because of this unfortunate translation, or should we say, the impossibility of a good translation of this concept of human imperfection and the need for some kind of salvation.

Intercultural Communication Studies VIII-1 1998-9 Kenneth J. Dale152

Well, we have to be humble in order to be saved. They should have humbled themselves and listened more.

When I was in a false denomination, I had a few different people tell me I was wrong and a couple of them told me to repent. I thought they were worse sinners than I ever was, and I thought why should I repent for being in a denomination that I was only in because I wanted to find God. Instead of being rude to them, I was still kind and repented aloud as they asked. I have a powerful testimony and so glad I was humble, like Jesus says to do when we want to be saved.

For this to happen one has to first be informed that there is a need to be saved, and what it is that they need to be saved from.

Okay, but they should be humble and listen.

Why Christianity is not widely believed in Japan

Why are Japanese Christians so few

https://www.abwe.org/serve/countries/japan "Most Japanese people have never met a Christian, seen a Bible, and do not know about Jesus"

I will look at the links soon.

A lot of people in the world reject Christ for many reasons.

I do like that you have repeatedly empathized Baptism(i.e. immersion) or the טְבִילָה Tevilah

This is great to here, and another thing we agree on.

• Mitchell

Hello again

@YourTruthGod:I think I understood that.

Thank you for confirming that. I wasn't sure if you got my point or not as it seemed very much like we were speaking past each other or in totally different directions. Since you continued to use the term 'way' and did not once refer to the term "situations' I assumed you were conflation these terms as if they had the same meaning or meant the same thing.

@YourTruthGod They should have humbled themselves and listened more.

On being humble

I think Humbleness is very important especially if one is a visitor and a guest in foreign country or nation where one is not a citizen of. I also believe missionaries should not do door to door missions in Japan if they do not have a firm grasp of the Japanese language, culture, and ways of thinking.

On Listening more

Listening and understanding are not to be conflated nor are they to be confused. A number of Japanese I know have patiently listened to foreign missionaries from the USA who come to their door, but because those missionaries did not speak Japanese well or in many case not at all it was very difficult for the Japanese to understand message.

I remember one day when I was getting ready to go for a walk just as came down stairs I notice to men leaving my neighbors house when I asked who they were I soon learned that they were missionaries, my neighbor had invited them into his house and served them tea. He had tried his best to listened to them (but couldn't catch but a few words here and there), but thought they were sales men attempting to sell him something or some sort of neighbor hood group when He heard them use the Japanese word for 'crime'. He finally understood that they were talking about something spiritual when they attempted to speak about the trinity. However in Japan as there is never a monotheistic movement, most Japanese who are spiritual believe in a kind of pantheism and when they hear people talking about the trinity they think "of course" makes sense the "gods of many of course". When I explained to him what I thought the missionary were trying to tell him he was very surprised as he thought they had said something very different.

Grace and Peace

• Hello Mitchell,

Merry Christmas.

You make me think of something, and that is, people in Japan have probably heard about Jesus, and if they want to learn more, they would get a Bible and read what Jesus says.  They might not have understood those missionaries, but maybe since you and the missionaries spoke to them, it sparked in them an interest in Jesus. 

I was kept from the truth because as a young child I was taught the Catholic denomination, but I am glad that I was taught there was Jesus. The Catholic religion teaches too much falseness. There are some denominations whose false doctrines are more obvious, and some denomination’s false teachings are more subtle while they do teach some things that are good and true. When I was an adult, I searched for God by studying different denominations; I thought for sure there was one right denomination. It wasn't until I got Jesus' teachings in the New Testament and started doing what he says that I got saved. There definitely were things that people said to me that helped before I got saved, even if they were in denominations that taught some falseness. So even though I preach that we should correct each other and debate false doctrines, I am glad for the times when someone spoke a piece of truth to me...just wish the truth was taught more.