The right to disagree with the translations

2»

Comments

• Mitchell
    Mitchell Posts: 668

@C_M_ said:
    WHEN IT COMEs to the original writers of Scriptures, God inspires and God reveals.
    In view of the OP, anyone in a freedom loving country can disagree with a translation, >but does s/he has the proper knowledge and wisdom to do so with spiritual >understanding in view of biblical intertextuality?

when, visiting in the states I remember someone at a casual Bible study saying that they didn't like the way a Bible version someone else read sounded or rendered a particular verse. But, on what basis did that someone make his claim? I assumed that, that someone had read neither the Hebrew Bible nor the Greek NT, and that he probably was making the claim based simply on how he was used to hearing that verse. (I later asked him what he meant) The individual in question as far as I could tell was a devote Evangelical type of Christian and spiritual individual, and of course, had the right to prefer one Bible version over another, but I think he would be making unsubstantiated claims if he really claimed to disagree with how a Bible version translated the source text.

• C Mc
    C Mc Posts: 4,463