Peace In Korea

Comments

• C Mc
    C Mc Posts: 4,463

Trump Declares North Korea Is No Longer a Nuclear Threat President Donald Trump told the US they can rest easy after his summit with Kim Jong Un, despite there being no proof the regime will discontinue their nuclear program. He went on to tweet that North Korea was “our biggest and most dangerous problem” during the Obama administration..."

Warning! Warning! Danger, Danger!

Check out what the Bible teaches and its context of this passage:

"For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape" [1 Thessalonians 5:3].

Who can trust two erratic men, not subject to tell the truth, beyond independent verification? Certainly, we need to be watchful and sober so that the day doesn’t overtake us like a thief in the night. But we should also be full of faith and love and hope; because whether we “wake or sleep” (that is, whether we die before He returns or is alive when He returns), we have the promise of eternal life with Him.

The threefold combination of the day of the Lord, a thief in the night, and contractions just before birth all illustrate the same point: the second coming of Jesus will be sudden, unexpected, and inescapable for the wicked. The end time is not the time to prepare for the end. The time for preparation is now.

1 Thessalonians 5:4 makes it clear, however, that Paul is not scolding the Thessalonians. They already know that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night. It is others, those who cry “peace and safety,” who will be surprised by the coming destruction. Safety or danger, we just don't know. CM

SOURCES:

-- White, Joel R. “‘Peace and Security’ (1 Thessalonians 5:3): Is It Really a Roman
    Slogan?” New Testament Studies 59 (2013): 382-395.

• reformed
    reformed Posts: 3,176

@C_M_ said:
    Trump Declares North Korea Is No Longer a Nuclear Threat President Donald Trump told the US they can rest easy after his summit with Kim Jong Un, despite there being no proof the regime will discontinue their nuclear program. He went on to tweet that North Korea was “our biggest and most dangerous problem” during the Obama administration..."

Warning! Warning! Danger, Danger!

Check out what the Bible teaches and its context of this passage:

"For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape" [1 Thessalonians 5:3].

Who can trust two erratic men, not subject to tell the truth, beyond independent verification? Certainly, we need to be watchful and sober so that the day doesn’t overtake us like a thief in the night. But we should also be full of faith and love and hope; because whether we “wake or sleep” (that is, whether we die before He returns or is alive when He returns), we have the promise of eternal life with Him.

The threefold combination of the day of the Lord, a thief in the night, and contractions just before birth all illustrate the same point: the second coming of Jesus will be sudden, unexpected, and inescapable for the wicked. The end time is not the time to prepare for the end. The time for preparation is now.

1 Thessalonians 5:4 makes it clear, however, that Paul is not scolding the Thessalonians. They already know that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night. It is others, those who cry “peace and safety,” who will be surprised by the coming destruction. Safety or danger, we just don't know. CM

SOURCES:

-- White, Joel R. “‘Peace and Security’ (1 Thessalonians 5:3): Is It Really a Roman
    Slogan?” New Testament Studies 59 (2013): 382-395.

Except there IS evidence that this is the start of North Korea's denuclearization.... Let's not take passages out of context and sound warning bells over things that are unrelated.

• GaoLu
    GaoLu Posts: 1,368
    > @C_M_ said:
    > Trump Declares North Korea Is No Longer a Nuclear Threat President Donald Trump told the US they can rest easy after his summit with Kim Jong Un, despite there being no proof the regime will discontinue their nuclear program. He went on to tweet that North Korea was “our biggest and most dangerous problem” during the Obama administration..."
    >
    > Warning! Warning! Danger, Danger!
    >
    > Check out what the Bible teaches and its context of this passage:
    >
    > "For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape" [1 Thessalonians 5:3].
    >
    > Who can trust two erratic men, not subject to tell the truth, beyond independent verification? Certainly, we need to be watchful and sober so that the day doesn’t overtake us like a thief in the night. But we should also be full of faith and love and hope; because whether we “wake or sleep” (that is, whether we die before He returns or is alive when He returns), we have the promise of eternal life with Him.
    >
    > The threefold combination of the day of the Lord, a thief in the night, and contractions just before birth all illustrate the same point: the second coming of Jesus will be sudden, unexpected, and inescapable for the wicked. The end time is not the time to prepare for the end. The time for preparation is now.
    >
    > 1 Thessalonians 5:4 makes it clear, however, that Paul is not scolding the Thessalonians. They already know that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night. It is others, those who cry “peace and safety,” who will be surprised by the coming destruction. Safety or danger, we just don't know. CM
    >
    > SOURCES:
    >
    > -- White, Joel R. “‘Peace and Security’ (1 Thessalonians 5:3): Is It Really a Roman
    > Slogan?” New Testament Studies 59 (2013): 382-395.

You have a way with words. I picture this very skinny little man wearing green elf shoes strutting along a dusty forest trail holding a penny whistle going TWEET TWEET TWEET.
  • C Mc

@GaoLu said:

You have a way with words. I picture this very skinny little man wearing green elf shoes strutting along a dusty forest trail holding a penny whistle going TWEET TWEET TWEET.

??? ?? ??? CM

• C Mc

@reformed said:

Except there IS evidence that this is the start of North Korea's denuclearization.... Let's not take passages out of context and sound warning bells over things that are unrelated.

"Passages out of context?" What I have written is Warning! Warning! Danger, Danger! "Check out what the Bible teaches and its context of this passage."

If it happened ["Passages out of context"], you did it. I am speaking "to the times".

Head out of the sand. Love truth. CM

• reformed

@Bill_Coley South Korea's Moon says he fully supports what happened this week with NK.

• C Mc

@reformed said:
    @Bill_Coley South Korea's Moon says he fully supports what happened this week with NK.

Yes, why not?
    1. Look, see how close he is to NK?
    2. He has invested a lot of capital, time and energy into having the talks.
    3. He wants peace at almost "any cost."
    4. Besides, he (Moon) doesn't want to "poke the bear" (Trump). CM

• C Mc

It may be time for all American to read two books for the summer:

-- The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich: A History of Nazi Germany is a book by William L. Shirer chronicling the rise and fall of Nazi Germany from the birth of Adolf Hitler in 1889 to the end of World War II in 1945. It was first published in 1960.

-- Ron Rosenbaum's "How the End Begins: The Road to a Nuclear World War III."

I know, people didn't believe Trump would ever be President of the USA. CM

• reformed

@C_M_ said:

@reformed said:

Yes, why not?

I doubt that is why he is onboard with it (Your number 4).

• Bill_Coley
    Bill_Coley Posts: 2,675

@C_M_ said:

@reformed said:

Yes, why not?

I think you make a valuable point via your "why not?" question, CM. When a rogue state run by a lunatic dictator is on your border, it's easy to support any news that reduces tensions, if only for a period of time. Just ask our friends in Canada. :p

However much sound and fury emanates from the Trump-Kim summit, it's important to remember that it achieved absolutely nothing, save perhaps for progress on the return of service member remains. The four points the two leaders signed in the agreement were totally unsurprising and uninspiring.

• The United States and the DPRK commit to establish new U.S.-DPRK relations in accordance with the desire of the peoples of the two countries for peace and prosperity.

They want peace and prosperity. May we live happily ever after.

• The United States and the DPRK will join their efforts to build a lasting and stable peace regime on the Korean Peninsula.

They want peace on the peninsula. May the Koreans, North and South, live happily ever after.

• Reaffirming the April 27, 2018 Panmunjom Declaration, the DPRK commits to work toward complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula.

We can't improve upon what the North and South signed seven weeks ago.

• The United States and the DPRK commit to recovering POW/MIA remains, including the immediate repatriation of those already identified.

Credit where credit is due. Except that I heard on a news show that the US pays the North Koreans in the area of $1 million for each set of remains returned.

There's nothing there, which I guess is what we should have expected from the meeting of two emotional invalids, each harboring dictatorial aspirations (well, Kim no longer has to aspire to dictatorship, which makes our president SO envious)

• C Mc

@Bill_Coley said:

There's nothing there, which I guess is what we should have expected from the meeting of two emotional invalids, each harboring dictatorial aspirations (well, Kim no longer has to aspire to dictatorship, which makes our president SO envious).

:D Wow, Bill!

• Bill_Coley

@Bill_Coley said:
    However much sound and fury emanates from the Trump-Kim summit, it's important to remember that it achieved absolutely nothing, save perhaps for progress on the return of service member remains. The four points the two leaders signed in the agreement were totally unsurprising and uninspiring.

As if on cue, here comes a report from Axios, which has obtained a copy of the Israeli Foreign Ministry's assessment of the Trump-Kim summit.

The Israeli view is that the agreement signed in Singapore reflects a retreat in the American position vis a vis North Korea, and that doubt about the North's intentions going forward reflects the long and uncertain path ahead for the North's compliance with the accord.

• reformed

@Bill_Coley said:

@C_M_ said:

@reformed said:

Yes, why not?

I think you make a valuable point via your "why not?" question, CM. When a rogue state run by a lunatic dictator is on your border, it's easy to support any news that reduces tensions, if only for a period of time. Just ask our friends in Canada. :p

• The United States and the DPRK commit to establish new U.S.-DPRK relations in accordance with the desire of the peoples of the two countries for peace and prosperity.

They want peace and prosperity. May we live happily ever after.

• The United States and the DPRK will join their efforts to build a lasting and stable peace regime on the Korean Peninsula.

They want peace on the peninsula. May the Koreans, North and South, live happily ever after.

• Reaffirming the April 27, 2018 Panmunjom Declaration, the DPRK commits to work toward complete denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula.

We can't improve upon what the North and South signed seven weeks ago.

• The United States and the DPRK commit to recovering POW/MIA remains, including the immediate repatriation of those already identified.

Credit where credit is due. Except that I heard on a news show that the US pays the North Koreans in the area of $1 million for each set of remains returned.

There's nothing there, which I guess is what we should have expected from the meeting of two emotional invalids, each harboring dictatorial aspirations (well, Kim no longer has to aspire to dictatorship, which makes our president SO envious)

To say that it achieved nothing is an outright lie or ignorance at best. They are now at the negotiating table. That is something. They have dismantled at least one nuclear site. That is something. And your characterization of Trump is disgusting.

• Bill_Coley

@reformed said:
    To say that it achieved nothing is an outright lie or ignorance at best.

If you're going to be kind enough to offer me the choice, reformed, I pick ignorance.

They are now at the negotiating table. That is something.

It IS something...they were at with the South Koreans, around which the two parties reached the April 27, 2018, Panmunjom Declaration that the president and the dictator affirmed in their "agreement."

They have dismantled at least one nuclear site. That is something.

I believe the dismantlement of a site the North Koreans no longer needed thanks to recent advances in their nuclear program happened BEFORE the president and the dictator met for their summit. Am I incorrect/ignorant/lying about that?

And your characterization of Trump is disgusting.

"Disgusting" accurately reports my assessment of the president's moral, ethical, intellectual, political, diplomatic, and temperamental leadership over the first 18 months of his presidency. I respect the fact that you choose very different words to assess the president's leadership in those and other areas.

• reformed

@Bill_Coley said:

@reformed said:
    To say that it achieved nothing is an outright lie or ignorance at best.

If you're going to be kind enough to offer me the choice, reformed, I pick ignorance.

They are now at the negotiating table. That is something.

It IS something...they were at with the South Koreans, around which the two parties reached the April 27, 2018, Panmunjom Declaration that the president and the dictator affirmed in their "agreement."

And why did they get to that point? Because of the Trump Admin policies. Not because something actually changed in Korea.

I believe the dismantlement of a site the North Koreans no longer needed thanks to recent advances in their nuclear program happened BEFORE the president and the dictator met for their summit. Am I incorrect/ignorant/lying about that?

No that is correct but it was in anticipation of the summit as a gesture.

"Disgusting" accurately reports my assessment of the president's moral, ethical, intellectual, political, diplomatic, and temperamental leadership over the first 18 months of his presidency. I respect the fact that you choose very different words to assess the president's leadership in those and other areas.

Since coming into office he has not had issue with the areas you just listed.

• Bill_Coley

@reformed said:
    And why did they get to that point? Because of the Trump Admin policies. Not because something actually changed in Korea.

But you change the subject of your affirmation of the president. In the post to which I responded, you claimed that among this week's summit's achievements was that the North Koreans came to the table. "That is something," you asserted. Now you say their coming to the table was not an achievement of the summit itself, but rather of Trump administration policies before the summit. My post, which you judged to be rooted in either lying or ignorance, made no comment about Trump administration policies.

The North Koreans dismantled a test site that is in the view of experts not that important to their nuclear ambitions, a site they could probably restart within a couple of years.

I grant that the demolition can be deemed an accomplishment of the summit, but in the same way we clean up our house when we expect company. Yes, the house gets cleaned because of the company - so credit to them - but no cleaning is done while the company is here! Similarly, the North Koreans destroyed the test site because of the summit (and the summit they held with South Korea earlier in the year). But during the summit they didn't identify any new sites to demolish.

Read a newspaper. Do a Google search. Review the momentum of the Mueller probe. Consult media outlets' lists of lies and mis-statements the president has made just since taking office. My goodness, the man's a moral and ethical garbage bin. It belies common sense how you can conclude "he has not had issue(s) with the areas" I listed.

Here's today lie: In an interview with FoxNews, the president said this:

"“The soldiers that died in Korea, their remains are going to be coming back home. And we have thousands of people that have asked for that, thousands and thousands of people. So many people asked when I was on the campaign, I’d say ‘Wait a minute, I don’t have any relationship…’, but they said, ‘When you can President, we’d love our son to be brought back home’. You know the remains."

The president claimed in an interview THIS WEEK that people came to him asking their sons' remains be brought back home from Korea. Those people's sons died at least 65 years ago, which means it's a good bet those sons were born at least 83 years ago, which means it's a good bet all those parents who the president claims asked him on the campaign trail to bring their sons home were born a good 100+ years ago. You think that happened, reformed? You think "so many" 100+ year-olds went to Trump campaign rallies to ask for their sons' remains?

Remember when Trump claimed he saw on television "thousands and thousands" of Muslims in New Jersey celebrating the fall of the Twin Towers? Remember that no media outlet anywhere had any video or any other kind of information to back up the president's claim? Remember the universal verdict of "lie" we attached to his claim? This week his lies moved from the Jersey shore to the Korean peninsula.

But the Twin Tower lie was before his presidency! Do liars stop lying when they get better jobs? I know of no proof of that.

He paid $130,000 in hush money to a porn star within a couple of weeks of the 2016 election. Did the character defect that paid that hush money vanish when the electoral college voted?

The man has not changed since the election. He lies about anything and everything. My God, he lies about the families of our fallen heroes of Korea. That IS disgusting, reformed.

• reformed

@Bill_Coley said:

@reformed said:

But you change the subject of your affirmation of the president. In the post to which I responded, you claimed that among this week's summit's achievements was that the North Koreans came to the table. "That is something," you asserted. Now you say their coming to the table was not an achievement of the summit itself, but rather of Trump administration policies before the summit. My post, which you judged to be rooted in either lying or ignorance, made no comment about Trump administration policies.

I don't separate the two Bill. You want to separate and micro slice everything but that's not how the real world works. The summit was a culmination of all of those efforts and therefore, yes, an achievement.

The North Koreans dismantled a test site that is in the view of experts not that important to their nuclear ambitions, a site they could probably restart within a couple of years.

NPR isn't a good source. It is heavily biased.

I grant that the demolition can be deemed an accomplishment of the summit, but in the same way we clean up our house when we expect company. Yes, the house gets cleaned because of the company - so credit to them - but no cleaning is done while the company is here! Similarly, the North Koreans destroyed the test site because of the summit (and the summit they held with South Korea earlier in the year). But during the summit they didn't identify any new sites to demolish.

Still would not have happened without Trump.

Read a newspaper. Do a Google search. Review the momentum of the Mueller probe. Consult media outlets' lists of lies and mis-statements the president has made just since taking office. My goodness, the man's a moral and ethical garbage bin. It belies common sense how you can conclude "he has not had issue(s) with the areas" I listed.

The Mueller probe has produced nothing on Trump whatsoever. What president doesn't have mis-statements (I know you claim in hyperbolic fashion that he has more than anyone ever) and what moral and ethical garbage bin has he been in since in office? Remember, my statement was not about his past, obviously there are major issues, but rather, about his time in office.

"“The soldiers that died in Korea, their remains are going to be coming back home. And we have thousands of people that have asked for that, thousands and thousands of people. So many people asked when I was on the campaign, I’d say ‘Wait a minute, I don’t have any relationship…’, but they said, ‘When you can President, we’d love our son to be brought back home’. You know the remains."

The president claimed in an interview THIS WEEK that people came to him asking their sons' remains be brought back home from Korea. Those people's sons died at least 65 years ago, which means it's a good bet those sons were born at least 83 years ago, which means it's a good bet all those parents who the president claims asked him on the campaign trail to bring their sons home were born a good 100+ years ago. You think that happened, reformed? You think "so many" 100+ year-olds went to Trump campaign rallies to ask for their sons' remains?

First, they would not necessarily have to be 100+ (people married and had kids earlier). Granted 90's. And YES. I do believe those people went to trump rallies. I know a 100 year old and she is feisty!

Remember when Trump claimed he saw on television "thousands and thousands" of Muslims in New Jersey celebrating the fall of the Twin Towers? Remember that no media outlet anywhere had any video or any other kind of information to back up the president's claim? Remember the universal verdict of "lie" we attached to his claim? This week his lies moved from the Jersey shore to the Korean peninsula.

Based on what? You say it didn't happen based on what?

But the Twin Tower lie was before his presidency! Do liars stop lying when they get better jobs? I know of no proof of that.

We have no proof that it was a lie, just a theory. It could have happened, and I don't doubt that it probably did.

He paid $130,000 in hush money to a porn star within a couple of weeks of the 2016 election. Did the character defect that paid that hush money vanish when the electoral college voted?

Obama paid hush money to Iran, is that any different? Nor do I think there is anything wrong with giving someone a sum to not drudge up the past.

The man has not changed since the election. He lies about anything and everything. My God, he lies about the families of our fallen heroes of Korea. That IS disgusting, reformed.

You don't know that is a lie. You ASSUME (you know what they say about assuming).

• C Mc

A New Low for President Trump!

The ill-legitimate U S President (received help from Russia/FBI), Donald J. Trump, has reached an all-time new low. On his most recent trip to meet Chairman Kim, Mr. Trump saluted a North Korean General and then shook his hand. And he's complaining about football players "taking a knee", during the singing of the country's anthem. Mr. Trump has debased himself and the office of the President. He accused Obama of "leading from behind." Trump is dragging America in the dirt.

Not surprising, Mr. Trump and his family is being sued for using non-profit funds for personal expenditures. Ignorance, greed, and immorality, America, have you no morals or shame? "A fish rots at the head first." America, don't let this President bring you down. Remove your hands from your head: CM

• Dave_L
    Dave_L Posts: 2,362

@C_M_ said:

A New Low for President Trump!

The ill-legitimate U S President (received help from Russia/FBI), Donald J. Trump, has reached an all-time new low. On his most recent trip to meet Chairman Kim, Mr. Trump saluted a North Korean General and then shook his hand. And he's complaining about football players "taking a knee", during the singing of the country's anthem. Mr. Trump has debased himself and the office of the President. He accused Obama of "leading from behind." Trump is dragging America in the dirt.

Not surprising, Mr. Trump and his family is being sued for using non-profit funds for personal expenditures. Ignorance, greed, and immorality, America, have you no morals or shame? "A fish rots at the head first." America, don't let this President bring you down. Remove your hands from your head: CM

Did Trump do the right thing in saluting?

“Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves. Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.” (Philippians 2:3–4)

• GaoLu
    edited June 2018
    Amazing how Trump just gets business, Asian markets and culture, international relations, and leadership. A truly amazing man. He was not my choice at all for President (given his personality and past escapades) and yet he has proven to be changed, a great man, a great leader, clearly God’s will and America’s choice. His ratings are as high or higher than Obama or even Reagan at this point in spite of the culture of Denocrat’s hate and dishonest, poisonous media and small-minded lemmings who feed on that trash. Amazing President. I am thankful every day.
  • C Mc

@reformed said:

Obama paid hush money to Iran, is that any different? Nor do I think there is anything wrong with giving someone a sum to not drudge up the past.

Oh, Reformed, you need to stop this! You know this is NOT SO! You should have some shame:
    1. The comparison is not equal.
    2. What Obama gave to Iran was not a payoff to a porn-worker to hush sexual misdeeds of the past.
    3. It was not America's monies to start. It was Iran's monies, frozen from the taking of the hostage (held 444 days).
    4. Iran was not given their money and lied about it.
    5. "...Nor do I think there is anything wrong with giving someone a sum to not drudge up the past." Reformed, have you lost your Christian moral mind? Have you forgotten or just bent on defending a man (Your President) who is estranged from morality? What happened to:

• “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” 1 John 1:9 KJV
    • “He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy” Proverbs 28:13 (KJV).
    • “So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.” Heb. 9:28 KJV
    • "Take heed to yourselves: If thy brother trespass against thee, rebuke him; and if he repent, forgive him." Luke 17:3 KJV
    • "Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance? Romans 2:4 KJV.

In order for a wound to heal properly, one must remove all the debris from it. Failure to do so leads to infection. Get a spiritual check-up, Reformed. You may want to reconsider your statement above. CM

• C Mc

@GaoLu said:
    Amazing how Trump just gets business, Asian markets and culture, international relations, and leadership. A truly amazing man. He was not my choice at all for President (given his personality and past escapades) and yet he has proven to be changed, a great man, a great leader, clearly God’s will and America’s choice. His ratings are as high or higher than Obama or even Reagan at this point in spite of the culture of Denocrat’s hate and dishonest, poisonous media and small-minded lemmings who feed on that trash. Amazing President. I am thankful every day.

Yes, at what cost? Lowering America's standards to achieve and to be grateful-- Oh, the depth!

Whatever happened to "..."honesty", "character", and "personal integrity"? [I believe it's a line in the American's Boys or Cub Scout's Pledge]. CM

PS. GaoLu, when it comes to Mr. Trump, be grateful, but don't be deceived or mislead.

• Bill_Coley

@reformed said:
    I don't separate the two Bill. You want to separate and micro slice everything but that's not how the real world works. The summit was a culmination of all of those efforts and therefore, yes, an achievement.

When you revisit our exchange in this thread, you'll discover that at issue was whether anything happened AT THE SUMMIT, not whether anything happened from January 20, 2017, forward.

The logic of your post here produces what I bet is an unwelcome result for you: The strong economy that we are experiencing right now is the result of.... the policies of Barack Obama. We can't "separate and micro slice everything" about the economy; that's not how the real world works. This economy would not have happened without Obama.

NPR isn't a good source. It is heavily biased.

This is "Fake News!" dressed differently. Your claim, just like the "Fake News!" meme, is great for tweet storms and bumper stickers, but it is inconsequential without a factual foundation. Please link to information that proves ANY substantive error in the NPR report.

Still would not have happened without Trump.

On what basis do you claim to know what a leader as despotic and infantile as Kim Jon-un would have done without Trump?

The Mueller probe has produced nothing on Trump whatsoever. What president doesn't have mis-statements (I know you claim in hyperbolic fashion that he has more than anyone ever) and what moral and ethical garbage bin has he been in since in office? Remember, my statement was not about his past, obviously there are major issues, but rather, about his time in office.

I don't just "claim" the president is an unprecedented liar. Simple Google searches will lead you to collections of his thousands of statements that were false and/or misleading. And if that category is too broad for you, those searches will also lead you to the hundred or more bald-faced lies - statements blatantly, in-your-face, no other way to say it false. NO OTHER PRESIDENT has lied so often about so much.

First, they would not necessarily have to be 100+ (people married and had kids earlier). Granted 90's. And YES. I do believe those people went to trump rallies. I know a 100 year old and she is feisty!

As one observer noted on Twitter, an 18 year old parent of an 18 year soldier killed on the last day of American involvement in Korea 65 years ago would have been 99 years old in 2016, when Trump claims "so many" parents came to him to ask for their sons' remains. That didn't happen.

Based on what? You say it didn't happen based on what?

I say it didn't happen because, to quote the post to which you responded, "no media outlet anywhere had any video or any other kind of information to back up the president's claim." "Thousands and thousands of Muslims" celebrating the fall of the Twin Towers would have been on EVERY network and most local news broadcasts. In fact, the president claimed to have seen those thousands and thousands of celebrating Muslims ON TV! But NO ONE - not even FoxNews - has EVER found video of such celebrations. Why not? Because they didn't happen.

We have no proof that it was a lie, just a theory. It could have happened, and I don't doubt that it probably did.

What more proof could we possibly have than that NO ONE, ANYWHERE HAS EVER SEEN VIDEO of "thousands and thousands of Muslims" celebrating the fall of the Twin Towers, video which, if it existed, would have been deployed again and again and again by anti-Muslim groups in media campaigns across the country. BUT THAT NEVER HAPPENED because the video doesn't exist, because there were no such celebrations. The president lied.

Your unwillingness to believe even this most blaringly evident fact, reformed, burnishes your credentials as a true Trumpster.

When you revisit the FACTS about the $400 million payment that Obama authorized to Iran, you'll discover that the money belonged to Iran, as part of a 1970's-era trust fund the Shah set up to underwrite his nation's purchase of American military equipment. When the Iranian revolution resulted in the taking of American hostages in the late 70's, the US froze that and other Iranian assets. Iran eventually wanted their money back, so it took the US to an international court in The Hague, a case most legal observers believed we would have lost. In recognition of that legal reality, and the fact that Iran was asking the international court to compel the US to give the $400 million back with interest and penalties (Iran asked for $10 billion!) Obama authorized the return of the money.

BUT THOSE FACTS AREN'T NEEDED TO ADDRESS THE CENTRAL FAILURE OF YOUR ANALOGY:

• The $400 million was not "hush money." Trump's payment to the porn star was.
    • Obama didn't pay the $400 million out of his own pocket. Trump paid the porn star out of his own funds.
    • Obama didn't pay the $400 million because of his own past personal conduct. Trump paid the porn star because of his extra-marital affair with her.

You don't know that is a lie. You ASSUME (you know what they say about assuming).

I bet the president would be proud to have you as a Trumpster, reformed.

• GaoLu
    edited June 2018
    Bill Coley: “The logic of your post here produces what I bet is an unwelcome result for you: The strong economy that we are experiencing right now is the result of.... the policies of Barack Obama.”

Yeah right. Well maybe your brother thinks Caesar Augustus should get credit.

No, Trump did it. No one is fooled—probably not even yourself.
  • reformed

@C_M_ said:

@reformed said:

Oh, Reformed, you need to stop this! You know this is NOT SO! You should have some shame:
    1. The comparison is not equal.
    2. What Obama gave to Iran was not a payoff to a porn-worker to hush sexual misdeeds of the past.
    3. It was not America's monies to start. It was Iran's monies, frozen from the taking of the hostage (held 444 days).
    4. Iran was not given their money and lied about it.
    5. "...Nor do I think there is anything wrong with giving someone a sum to not drudge up the past." Reformed, have you lost your Christian moral mind? Have you forgotten or just bent on defending a man (Your President) who is estranged from morality? What happened to:

• “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” 1 John 1:9 KJV
    • “He that covereth his sins shall not prosper: but whoso confesseth and forsaketh them shall have mercy” Proverbs 28:13 (KJV).
    • “So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.” Heb. 9:28 KJV
    • "Take heed to yourselves: If thy brother trespass against thee, rebuke him; and if he repent, forgive him." Luke 17:3 KJV
    • "Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance? Romans 2:4 KJV.

In order for a wound to heal properly, one must remove all the debris from it. Failure to do so leads to infection. Get a spiritual check-up, Reformed. You may want to reconsider your statement above. CM

I find this post hilarious if it wasn't so sad. By the way, Trump is a LEGITIMATE President and it is ignorant to say otherwise.

• Bill_Coley

@reformed said:

I find this post hilarious if it wasn't so sad. By the way, Trump is a LEGITIMATE President and it is ignorant to say otherwise.

I don't know about our respective posts' sadness or hilarity, reformed, but I do know about their respective bases in fact. CM and I each showed convincingly that the American government's $400 million payment to Iran was in no consequential way similar to Donald Trump's pre-election payment to a porn star, your likening of one to the other notwithstanding.

In light of our posts, do you have any defense of your contention that the two payments were comparable?

• GaoLu
    More on the corruption from the position defended with vengeance by some on the forums. Very telling.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-disgrace-of-comeys-fbi-1529019418
  • Bill_Coley

@GaoLu said:
    More on the corruption from the position defended with vengeance by some on the forums. Very telling.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-disgrace-of-comeys-fbi-1529019418

I don't subscribe to wsj.com, so I'm only able to read the piece's opening paragraph. Since you obviously did get behind the site's paywall, Gao Lu, please quote from the article a paragraph or two that in substantive ways dispute the following summary of the IG report that I write based on other reports I've read:

-- James Comey acted unwisely, in violation of Justice Department protocol, and in what can be considered insubordination, when he...

• ...held a news conference in July 2016 to announce that the FBI would recommend against criminal prosecution in Hillary Clinton's use of email, and issued an editorial about her use of email, including, for example. his phrase "extreme carelessness."
    • ... publicly announced in October 2016, ten or so days away from the election, his decision to re-open the Clinton case due to the Anthony Weiner laptop
    • ... publicly announced a few days before the 2016 election that the FBI had once again closed the Clinton email case

-- Two FBI agents, Peter Strzok and Lisa Page, exchanged emails and/or text messages that reflected personal bias against Donald Trump's presidential candidacy. One exchange of texts included Strzok's reassuring Page they Trump would not become president ("We'll stop him," wrote Strzok).

-- Comey's decision not to prosecute Clinton over her use of emails was the correct decision, in keeping with past Justice Department practice - for example, the Department's decision not to prosecute Bush 43's attorney general Alberto Gonzalez.

-- The IG found no evidence that the personal political bias reflected in Strzok's and Page's text and email messages in any way affected their professional work in the Clinton email investigation, or the investigation's course and operation. In fact, the IG found evidence that Strzok advocated for the use of additional prosecutorial tactics, such as the seating of a grand jury.

-- Comey's public disclosures in the Clinton email case reflected serious lapses of professional judgment, but were not made in furtherance of personal political bias.

That's the essence of the IG's report as I understand it from other reporting, Gao LU. Comey made serious mistakes - mistakes that hurt Clinton in several ways - but his mistakes were not politically partisan. Two FBI agents showed obvious political bias, but their bias did not affect their professional work. Please quote from the wsj.com article paragraphs that in substantive ways dispute my summary.

• C Mc

@C_M_ said:

It may be time for all American to read two books for the summer:

-- The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich: A History of Nazi Germany is a book by William L. Shirer chronicling the rise and fall of Nazi Germany from the birth of Adolf Hitler in 1889 to the end of World War II in 1945. It was first published in 1960.

-- Ron Rosenbaum's "How the End Begins: The Road to a Nuclear World War III."

I know, people didn't believe Trump would ever be President of the USA. CM

AND YOU THOUGHT I WAS BEING EXTREME IN MY SUGGESTIONS UPON? See below:

Former CIA Chief Compares Trump’s Border Policies to Nazi Germany

Former CIA and NSA chief Michael Hayden on Saturday compared President Trump’s immigration policies to that of Nazi Germany in an ominous Twitter post. “Other governments have separated mothers and children,” Harden wrote next to a black-and-white photo of Auschwitz. Hayden has joined a growing chorus of criticism over the policy of separating migrant families at the border, which Trump has repeatedly blamed on Democratic lawmakers. Following reports earlier this week that nearly 2,000 children were taken by immigration authorities in a period of six weeks, the archbishop of New York also came out against what he called an “un-American” policy. Cardinal Timothy Dolan on Friday slammed Attorney General Jeff Sessions for invoking the Bible to defend the practice, telling CNN, “I don't think we should obey a law that goes against what God intends that you would take a baby, a child, from their mom.”

Trump is getting bad advice from Stephen Miller. CM

• reformed

@Bill_Coley said:

@reformed said:

I don't know about our respective posts' sadness or hilarity, reformed, but I do know about their respective bases in fact. CM and I each showed convincingly that the American government's $400 million payment to Iran was in no consequential way similar to Donald Trump's pre-election payment to a porn star, your likening of one to the other notwithstanding.

In light of our posts, do you have any defense of your contention that the two payments were comparable?

Obama sending money to Iran without approval of Congress on unmarked planes? Yeah, I say that is comparable and WORSE.