How the NRA Rewrote the Second Amendment-“A fraud on the American public"

124»

Comments

• Well folkss, here's an interesting article from "the author many here don't like", but I thought you may want to read it as it contains (a little further down in the text) some info from someone else concerning the gun law issues

More Lies from the Presstitutes

• C Mc
    C Mc Posts: 4,463

Check news accounts about speculation about dark money from Russia with the NRA....good grief.... Wild Imagination.

Sorry, a better answer and more directly, ASK THE NRA! They will blow you off in 30 sec. with a membership card in hand. CM ;)

Let the investigation take its course...CM

• dct112685
    dct112685 Posts: 1,114

@C_M_ said:

Check news accounts about speculation about dark money from Russia with the NRA....good grief.... Wild Imagination.

Sorry, a better answer and more directly, ASK THE NRA! They will blow you off in 30 sec. with a membership card in hand. CM ;)

Let the investigation take its course...CM

And this idea that the NRA is this money power house is ridiculous. How much money do you think the NRA spends in politics?

• C Mc

REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT!

Sorry, a better answer and more directly, ASK THE NRA! They will blow you off in 30 sec. with a membership card in hand. CM ;) Let the investigation take its course...CM

• dct112685

@C_M_ said:
    REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT! REPEAT!

Sorry, a better answer and more directly, ASK THE NRA! They will blow you off in 30 sec. with a membership card in hand. CM ;) Let the investigation take its course...CM

We don't have to, it's public data.

https://www.opensecrets.org/lobby/clientsum.php?id=d000000082 on lobbying in 2017 they spent 5.1 million.

In 2016 cycle they were outspent on campaign contributions by 489 other donors. Those donors could be Democrat or Republican. They were outspent by 153 other lobby groups.

So no, they are not spending all of this money to extreme amounts. The reason they are powerful is because of the millions of Americans that agree with and support the NRA. That has more political capital than any dollar amount will.

• C Mc

Regardless, the NRA still has dirt under its fingernails. CM

• dct112685

@C_M_ said:
    Regardless, the NRA still has dirt under its fingernails. CM

That's the best you've got after presented with actual facts? Telling...

• Bill_Coley
    Bill_Coley Posts: 2,675

@davidtaylorjr said:

https://www.opensecrets.org/lobby/clientsum.php?id=d000000082 on lobbying in 2017 they spent 5.1 million.

I'm curious as to why you chose 2017 "lobbying" data to report what the NRA "spent in politics" (see your previous post in this thread). According to the SAME source you chose, the NRA spent more than $60 million in the 2016 election cycle, in the form of contributions to candidates, lobbying, and "outside spending." That compared to around $35 million in the 2014 cycle.

Whatever you conclude about the significance of the $60 million figure, it's certainly provides a more complete and accurate description of the NRA's political spending than does the $5.1 million lobbying-only figure you chose to post.

• dct112685

@Bill_Coley said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

I'm curious as to why you chose 2017 "lobbying" data to report what the NRA "spent in politics" (see your previous post in this thread). According to the SAME source you chose, the NRA spent more than $60 million in the 2016 election cycle, in the form of contributions to candidates, lobbying, and "outside spending." That compared to around $35 million in the 2014 cycle.

Whatever you conclude about the significance of the $60 million figure, it's certainly provides a more complete and accurate description of the NRA's political spending than does the $5.1 million lobbying-only figure you chose to post.

sigh I also referenced the 2016 numbers. The point is they aren't this big political spender the left tries to make them out to be.

• Bill_Coley

@davidtaylorjr said:
    sigh I also referenced the 2016 numbers. The point is they aren't this big political spender the left tries to make them out to be.

But you chose to identify only the NRA's lobbying number, not its overall spending. [I'm not saying you were "dishonest," David. No one would ever do THAT in these threads! :tongue:]

As to how big a spender the NRA is, according to the cite you chose...

• The amount of its contributions to candidates in the 2016 cycle ranked it 490th of 18,910 organizations profiled (top 3%).
    • The amount it spent in lobbying ranked it 154th among the 3,798 surveyed (top 4%)
    • And the amount of its outside spending ranked it 9th of 175 surveyed (top 5%)

People can decide for themselves how big a political spender that makes the NRA, but I'm guessing most of us believe $60 million is a lot to spend on influencing election outcomes. (Though it's true that we don't know how much the Russians spent in 2016; their expenditures could raise the "big spender" standard quite a bit.)

• dct112685

@Bill_Coley said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

But you chose to identify only the NRA's lobbying number, not its overall spending. [I'm not saying you were "dishonest," David. No one would ever do THAT in these threads! :tongue:]

As to how big a spender the NRA is, according to the cite you chose...

• The amount of its contributions to candidates in the 2016 cycle ranked it 490th of 18,910 organizations profiled (top 3%).
    • The amount it spent in lobbying ranked it 154th among the 3,798 surveyed (top 4%)
    • And the amount of its outside spending ranked it 9th of 175 surveyed (top 5%)

People can decide for themselves how big a political spender that makes the NRA, but I'm guessing most of us believe $60 million is a lot to spend on influencing election outcomes. (Though it's true that we don't know how much the Russians spent in 2016; their expenditures could raise the "big spender" standard quite a bit.)

Sure here is the overall breakdown:
    https://www.opensecrets.org/outsidespending/summ.php?cycle=2016&chrt=V&disp=O&type=A

• C Mc

If the NRA and Mr. Trump insist on putting guns in the classroom, I would be forced, from afar, to demand a repeal of the 2nd Amendment. Gun lovers, stop this madness or an appeal will be called forth. This is not a threat or a bet. CM

• dct112685

@C_M_ said:
    If the NRA and Mr. Trump insist on putting guns in the classroom, I would be forced, from afar, to demand a repeal of the 2nd Amendment. Gun lovers, stop this madness or an appeal will be called forth. This is not a threat or a bet. CM

Wouldn't it be easier to just move to a different country? What is your big issue with guns in the classroom anyway? Something that is actually based in reality I mean....

• C Mc

@davidtaylorjr said:

@C_M_ said:

Wouldn't it be easier to just move to a different country? What is your big issue with guns in the classroom anyway?

Have you not read all along or are you just being headstrong? CM

• dct112685

@C_M_ said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@C_M_ said:

Wouldn't it be easier to just move to a different country? What is your big issue with guns in the classroom anyway?

Yes I have read all about your hyperbolic scenarios that aren't based in a shred of reality.

• GaoLu
    GaoLu Posts: 1,368

Sometimes childhood fears cause such unusual behaviors. Sometimes people are merely entertained by trolling. Beats the boredom of no friends and 300 channels of subscription TV.

• C Mc

@GaoLu said:
    Sometimes childhood fears cause such unusual behaviors. Sometimes people are merely entertained by trolling. Beats the boredom of no friends and 300 channels of subscription TV.

I guess it takes one, to know one. CM

• C Mc

@davidtaylorjr said:

@C_M_ said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@C_M_ said:

Yes I have read all about your hyperbolic scenarios that aren't based in a shred of reality.

David,

"Reality check"! # 1

Because you say something is, it doesn't mean that it is! If you insist on it, your bias is the only thing, that's revealed. On this matter, it doesn't matter! "Water on a duck's back", is the most effective your words would have. cm

• C Mc

Reality Check # 2

Oh, defeat and "egg-in-the-face" of the NRA, announced today!

A Stunning Victory Against the NRA in Wisconsin

A key election result suggests that the gun lobby’s influence may be waning in critical swing states. By John NicholsTwitter Yesterday 4:08 pm

People are growing sick of the NRA. THIS IS IN REALITY!

“We beat the NRA!” Judge Rebecca Dallet announced as she claimed her pattern-breaking win in a contentious race for a position on the Wisconsin Supreme Court.

Dallet trounced conservative Judge Michael Screnock, securing 56 percent of the vote statewide to become the first liberal contender elected to an open seat on the high court since 1995. Dallet will replace one of its most right-wing members, retiring Justice Michael Gableman.

The outcome of the first such high-profile statewide contest of 2018 signaled that the influence of the National Rifle Association is far less of a defining force in swing states such as Wisconsin than was once imagined.

In my court, I’ll always defend our rights and the rule of law. Common-sense gun restrictions are clearly constitutional.” And she went a step further, highlighting the fact that her opponent was backed by the NRA and that she was not.

“Just hours before a 19-year-old boy took an AR-15 and murdered 17 of his former classmates, the #NRA endorsed my opponent for Wisconsin Supreme Court. Their last tweet before the #ParklandShooting was announcing their support for @JudgeScrenock,” noted Dallet, the mother of three teenage daughters.

Dismissing Screnock as “an extreme activist who has pledged to stand with the #NRA over the people,” Dallet tweeted after the primary: “That’s why I took the #NoNRAMoney pledge. I will not accept money from an organization that puts profits above the lives of Americans. Will you join me today in pledging that we won’t vote for any candidate who takes NRA money?”

She got responses like: “Give ’em Hell Judge Dallett!” And she never looked back.

The Wisconsin race was about more than guns. Dallet took on Trump and Trumpism, even airing a television ad that featured images of the president and a narrator saying: “He’s attacked our civil rights and our value. She’ll protect them.” When women marched to protest Trump and his policies, Dallet marched with them. “I wake up every day with gratefulness and joy for my family, and dread for my country. What nonsense will President Trump tweet today, and what group of Americans will he attack?” she said.

'Blue Wave Builds' In Wisconsin's Supreme Court Election

Milwaukee County Judge Rebecca Dallet Won Counties That Have Been Trending Republican For A Decade Milwaukee County Judge Rebecca Dallet's lopsided victory in Tuesday's Wisconsin Supreme Court race gave Democrats reasons to believe the state's political pendulum had at long last swung back in their direction.

National Democrats from former U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder to former Vice President Joe Biden hoped to use Dallet's election to build momentum toward November. They got it, and then some.

Dallet defeated Sauk County Judge Michael Screnock by a 56 to 44 percent margin in a spring election that Wisconsin Republicans have dominated over the past decade.

"The margin is impressive," said Marquette University Pollster Charles Franklin. "For November, what this means is that the wave that we've seen building — the advantage to Democrats — is still alive and well." CM

• GaoLu

Magnificent Obsession. Doesn't seem healthy.

• Bill_Coley

@C_M_ said:

I think Dallet's double-digit win in Wisconsin - a state Trump won - might be the most telling sign yet that a massive blue wave is coming in this November's mid-terms.

Screnock had the state's governor's strong support, and historically, progressives have not done well in taking seats held by more conservative justices. But Dallet won, won handily, won in several rural counties (!) and, as you point out, CM, took on the NRA directly. It probably didn't help Screnock that he received the NRA's endorsement on the day before the Parkland high school massacre.

The seven months between now and the midterms will be a LONG time during which anything can happen. But it's hard for a person of my political views to feel more encouraged than I feel right now, given the strong favorable winds that are blowing in Democrats' favor.

• C Mc

@GaoLu said:

My friend,
    Give it a rest! Your manic Obsession over Hillary is normal? She's not President! I'm glad you are not a real doctor beyond the one you play here in these forums...

This is a page out of Trump playbook-- When reality manifests itself-- Distract, deny and name call. GaoLu, love Mr. Trump, but not his ways.

Just face it, people are beginning to see dirty hands- dirty money NRA for what it is and had been for sometimes. Christians should repudiate this organization. They need to get away from the NRA like a gazelle from a lion. See the OP--NRA a "fraud"....!" CM

• GaoLu
    Maybe it’s troll bait. The resulting Frenzy is most rewarding.
  • dct112685

@C_M_ said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@C_M_ said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@C_M_ said:

David,

"Reality check"! # 1

Because you say something is, it doesn't mean that it is! If you insist on it, your bias is the only thing, that's revealed. On this matter, it doesn't matter! "Water on a duck's back", is the most effective your words would have. cm

Let me turn this right back on you, you should preach this to yourself.

@C_M_ said:
    Reality Check # 2

Oh, defeat and "egg-in-the-face" of the NRA, announced today!

A key election result suggests that the gun lobby’s influence may be waning in critical swing states. By John NicholsTwitter Yesterday 4:08 pm

People are growing sick of the NRA. THIS IS IN REALITY!

“We beat the NRA!” Judge Rebecca Dallet announced as she claimed her pattern-breaking win in a contentious race for a position on the Wisconsin Supreme Court.

Dallet trounced conservative Judge Michael Screnock, securing 56 percent of the vote statewide to become the first liberal contender elected to an open seat on the high court since 1995. Dallet will replace one of its most right-wing members, retiring Justice Michael Gableman.

The outcome of the first such high-profile statewide contest of 2018 signaled that the influence of the National Rifle Association is far less of a defining force in swing states such as Wisconsin than was once imagined.

In my court, I’ll always defend our rights and the rule of law. Common-sense gun restrictions are clearly constitutional.” And she went a step further, highlighting the fact that her opponent was backed by the NRA and that she was not.

“Just hours before a 19-year-old boy took an AR-15 and murdered 17 of his former classmates, the #NRA endorsed my opponent for Wisconsin Supreme Court. Their last tweet before the #ParklandShooting was announcing their support for @JudgeScrenock,” noted Dallet, the mother of three teenage daughters.

Dismissing Screnock as “an extreme activist who has pledged to stand with the #NRA over the people,” Dallet tweeted after the primary: “That’s why I took the #NoNRAMoney pledge. I will not accept money from an organization that puts profits above the lives of Americans. Will you join me today in pledging that we won’t vote for any candidate who takes NRA money?”

She got responses like: “Give ’em Hell Judge Dallett!” And she never looked back.

The Wisconsin race was about more than guns. Dallet took on Trump and Trumpism, even airing a television ad that featured images of the president and a narrator saying: “He’s attacked our civil rights and our value. She’ll protect them.” When women marched to protest Trump and his policies, Dallet marched with them. “I wake up every day with gratefulness and joy for my family, and dread for my country. What nonsense will President Trump tweet today, and what group of Americans will he attack?” she said.

'Blue Wave Builds' In Wisconsin's Supreme Court Election

Milwaukee County Judge Rebecca Dallet Won Counties That Have Been Trending Republican For A Decade Milwaukee County Judge Rebecca Dallet's lopsided victory in Tuesday's Wisconsin Supreme Court race gave Democrats reasons to believe the state's political pendulum had at long last swung back in their direction.

National Democrats from former U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder to former Vice President Joe Biden hoped to use Dallet's election to build momentum toward November. They got it, and then some.

Dallet defeated Sauk County Judge Michael Screnock by a 56 to 44 percent margin in a spring election that Wisconsin Republicans have dominated over the past decade.

"The margin is impressive," said Marquette University Pollster Charles Franklin. "For November, what this means is that the wave that we've seen building — the advantage to Democrats — is still alive and well." CM

I love how the Democrats try to link things that aren't actually related. The NRA wasn't on the ballot.

@C_M_ said:

@GaoLu said:

My friend,
    Give it a rest! Your manic Obsession over Hillary is normal? She's not President! I'm glad you are not a real doctor beyond the one you play here in these forums...

This is a page out of Trump playbook-- When reality manifests itself-- Distract, deny and name call. GaoLu, love Mr. Trump, but not his ways.

Just face it, people are beginning to see dirty hands- dirty money NRA for what it is and had been for sometimes. Christians should repudiate this organization. They need to get away from the NRA like a gazelle from a lion. See the OP--NRA a "fraud"....!" CM

Oh brother.

• C Mc
    edited April 2018

@dct112685 said:

I love how the Democrats try to link things that aren't actually related. The NRA wasn't on the ballot.

David,
    You're right. However, the NRA's dirty hands, dirty money, and endorsement were!

It was a repudiation of the NRA by the people of Wisconsin. Thank God, for the return of sanity and the voting Christians of that state, the real pro-lifers. This is not trolling or polling. It's voting.

@C_M_ said:

My friend,

This is a page out of Trump's playbook-- When reality manifests itself-- Distract, deny and name call. GaoLu, love Mr. Trump, but not his ways.

Oh brother.

GaoLu,
    Why must I keep silent when the NRA with its millions, dirty money, and endorsements can say what it wants? Your so-called troll is only effective because of your unwillingness to face the truth. In my opinion, the real troll is the NRA-- "they coming for your guns."

GaoLu, do think you may be suffering from Troll Paranoia? That is, do you see and/or feel a troll in every thread, every post, every question, every topic, every day, every person, everywhere?

There is the help and there is hope. You don't have to live in fear. Seriously, you have to get back to enjoying life and these forums again. Stop spending so much time on re-enforcing your fears and projecting them on others. Real or imagined you have got to get a grip and move forward. CD is a safe place. you're good in the biblical sections. I like sunny, honest fresh-air answers. CM

• dct112685

@C_M_ said:

@dct112685 said:

David,
    You're right. However, the NRA's dirty hands, dirty money, and endorsement were!

Pretty sure they were not.

It was a reputation of the NRA by the people of Wisconsin. Thank God, for the return of sanity and the voting Christians of that state, the real pro-lifers. This is not trolling or polling. It's voting.

No, it wasn't. That's laughable that people even suggest this. It's the same reasoning that people say the PA election a few weeks back was about Trump and a repudiation of his policies. Except, it wasn't.

@C_M_ said:

My friend,

This is a page out of Trump's playbook-- When reality manifests itself-- Distract, deny and name call. GaoLu, love Mr. Trump, but not his ways.

Oh brother.

GaoLu,
    Why must I keep silent when the NRA with its millions, dirty money, and endorsements can say what it wants? Your so-called troll is only effective because of your unwillingness to face the truth. In my opinion, the real troll is the NRA-- "they coming for your guns."

I still would like to see proof of "Dirty Money" you keep saying it without a shred of evidence. And they are coming for our guns. They have said it many many times now. They want a semi-auto weapon ban, do you realize that is virtually all guns except revolvers and shotguns?

GaoLu, do think you may be suffering from Troll Paranoia? That is, do you see and/or feel a troll in every thread, every post, every question, every topic, every day, every person, everywhere?

There is the help and there is hope. You don't have to live in fear. Seriously, you have to get back to enjoying life and these forums again. Stop spending so much time on re-enforcing your fears and projecting them on others. Real or imagined you have got to get a grip and move forward. CD is a safe place. you're good in the biblical sections. I like sunny, honest fresh-air answers. CM

The only one who has truly been putting out irrational fears is you with your hyperbolic poetry not based in reality but on a fantasy.

• C Mc

@dct112685 said:

No, it wasn't. That's laughable that people even suggest this. It's the same reasoning that people say the PA election a few weeks back was about Trump and a repudiation of his policies. Except, it wasn't.

I bet you can explain away the holes and the salt on this cracker. CM

• C Mc

ENOUGH GUN VIOLENCE: 2018 IS THE YEAR AMERICANS SAY NO TO THE NRA
    http://www.newsweek.com/gun-violence-2018-americans-say-no-nra-761089

TED NUGENT SAYS DEMOCRATS SHOULD BE SHOT LIKE COYOTES
    Musician and NRA board member Ted Nugent likened Democrats, members of the media and others to “rabid coyotes” on Friday and suggested people should not wait to “get” their guns and “shoot” them on sight.

Nugent, a major proponent of gun rights and the Second Amendment, applied the same comparison to Hollywood and RINOS - the common acronym standing for Republicans in name only - during an interview on InfoWars’ The Alex Jones Show.

“Don’t ask why. Just know that evil, dishonesty, and scam artists have always been around and that right now they’re liberal, they’re Democrat, they’re RINOs, they’re Hollywood, they’re fake news, they’re media, they’re academia, and they’re half of our government, at least,” Nugent said according to conservative media watchdog Media Matters.

American Christians, do you support this? Leave the NRA, Now! CM