Parkland Students Acting Like Utter BRATS

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/cortneyobrien/2018/03/07/devos-shows-up-for-discussions-at-marjory-stoneman-douglas-high-school-gets-disrespected-n2458600

I know they just went through a traumatic experience, but this is ridiculous. First they reject the White House, now this. At this point they no longer get to play the victim cards, they are just brats.

Comments

• Bill_Coley
    Bill_Coley Posts: 2,675

@davidtaylorjr said:
    https://townhall.com/tipsheet/cortneyobrien/2018/03/07/devos-shows-up-for-discussions-at-marjory-stoneman-douglas-high-school-gets-disrespected-n2458600

I know they just went through a traumatic experience, but this is ridiculous. First they reject the White House, now this. At this point they no longer get to play the victim cards, they are just brats.

I encourage you to read other sources about the Secretary's visit to the Florida school.

According to many students on social media, as well as other sources, the Secretary met with very few students, did not allow the school's in-house media outlets to record her visit, offered vague, insubstantial responses to the few student questions she took, and closed the visit off to outside media coverage.

For example, one student tweeted: "“Do something unexpected: Answer our questions. You came to our school just for publicity and avoided our questions for the 90 minutes you were actually here. How about you actually do your job?”

Another tweeted, "Betsy DeVos came to my school, talked to three people, and pet a dog."

The president of the local teachers union said the students "didn’t see the purpose of (the Secretary's) being there."

The picture I get was that the students expected the Secretary of Education to have something substantive to say to the student body, given all they have been through; but she had basically nothing to say. That doesn't sound brattish to me. That sounds like a reasonable expectation from students who want action, not just words or brief visits, from their government.

• C Mc
    C Mc Posts: 4,463

"Parkland Students Acting Like Utter BRATS". Could be that they are young and forced to do what the cowardly adult representatives will not do.

David, leave the children alone. Give them a break. Why can't you encourage the children for getting involved in exercising their Constitutional rights, like your beloved, NRA? This is a new low for you. Have you forgotten your larger role in life? The sky is not falling. You are not going to wake in the morning in a world with no guns.

Only When Jesus returns, there will be no guns. You can't be that beholding to the NRA. No one is coming for your guns! Calm down. These are children. Show some restraint here in CD. CM

• Dave_L
    Dave_L Posts: 2,362

I hope God is using these kids to bring sane gun laws to America. Christians should support them in their efforts to stop the senseless killing.

• dct112685
    dct112685 Posts: 1,114

@Bill_Coley said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

I encourage you to read other sources about the Secretary's visit to the Florida school.

According to many students on social media, as well as other sources, the Secretary met with very few students, did not allow the school's in-house media outlets to record her visit, offered vague, insubstantial responses to the few student questions she took, and closed the visit off to outside media coverage.

For example, one student tweeted: "“Do something unexpected: Answer our questions. You came to our school just for publicity and avoided our questions for the 90 minutes you were actually here. How about you actually do your job?”

Another tweeted, "Betsy DeVos came to my school, talked to three people, and pet a dog."

The president of the local teachers union said the students "didn’t see the purpose of (the Secretary's) being there."

The picture I get was that the students expected the Secretary of Education to have something substantive to say to the student body, given all they have been through; but she had basically nothing to say. That doesn't sound brattish to me. That sounds like a reasonable expectation from students who want action, not just words or brief visits, from their government.

Let's look at local media http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/parkland/florida-school-shooting/fl-reg-florida-school-shooting-devos-20180307-story.html

It's evident. The brats that want nothing but gun control were the ones complaining. Everyone else was happy about the visit.

@C_M_ said:
    "Parkland Students Acting Like Utter BRATS". Could be that they are young and forced to do what the cowardly adult representatives will not do.

No, because there are some of them that are being logical, respectful, and rational but aren't getting media limelight. The others are brats who brag about hanging up on the White House and complain about the Education Secretary (who has nothing to do with gun control) being there.

David, leave the children alone. Give them a break. Why can't you encourage the children for getting involved in exercising their Constitutional rights, like your beloved, NRA? This is a new low for you. Have you forgotten your larger role in life? The sky is not falling. You are not going to wake in the morning in a world with no guns.

Why can't I encourage them? I do encourage the ones who aren't just trying to have their two minutes of fame and are not acting like brats.

Only When Jesus returns, there will be no guns. You can't be that beholding to the NRA. No one is coming for your guns! Calm down. These are children. Show some restraint here in CD. CM

Yes, when Jesus returns there won't be a lot of things, and that is wonderful. And if you think people aren't trying to come for guns you are Naive. Children? Perhaps, but if that's the case get them out of the national spotlight, they aren't ready for it and can't handle it.

@Dave_L said:
    I hope God is using these kids to bring sane gun laws to America. Christians should support them in their efforts to stop the senseless killing.

I hope he is not.

• Dave_L
    edited March 2018

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

I hope he is not.

You might never know how you, or how many of your offspring with live long and productive lives if they succeed.

• dct112685

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

I hope he is not.

You might never know how you, or how many of your offspring with live long and productive lives if they succeed.

Dave, the odds of getting hit by a car, having a heart attack, and any number of other ways to die are much greater than being in a mass shooting or any shooting at all for that matter.

• Dave_L

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

I hope he is not.

Dave, the odds of getting hit by a car, having a heart attack, and any number of other ways to die are much greater than being in a mass shooting or any shooting at all for that matter.

It only takes one bullet and your life is gone or changed forever.

• dct112685

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

I hope he is not.

Same thing with the other things I listed. Try again please, your argument is invalid.

• Dave_L

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

I hope he is not.

Same thing with the other things I listed. Try again please, your argument is invalid.

It still remains, cars are not designed for killing. Guns are. That is their only purpose.

• dct112685

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

I hope he is not.

It still remains, cars are not designed for killing. Guns are. That is their only purpose.

Do you believe we should be able to have hunting rifles? If so, you are going to have to come up with a different argument.

• Dave_L
    edited March 2018

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

I hope he is not.

Do you believe we should be able to have hunting rifles? If so, you are going to have to come up with a different argument.

I think single shot guns designed for hunting animals should be legal. Everything else banned. That is what the second amendment allowed for when written.

• dct112685

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

I hope he is not.

I think single shot guns designed for hunting animals should be legal. Everything else banned. That is what the second amendment allowed for when written.

The 2nd Amendment only allowed for hunting?

• Dave_L

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

I hope he is not.

They could not imagine anything above the guns of their day when they wrote the second amendment.

• dct112685

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

I hope he is not.

They could not imagine anything above the guns of their day when they wrote the second amendment.

That's not what I asked, and that is not what you said. Are you saying, yes or no, that the 2nd Amendment was about hunting?

• Dave_L

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

I hope he is not.

That's not what I asked, and that is not what you said. Are you saying, yes or no, that the 2nd Amendment was about hunting?

No, but that was the single shot weapon of the day they made laws to protect.

• dct112685

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

I hope he is not.

No, but that was the single shot weapon of the day they made laws to protect.

No, the law was not to protect individual weapons. The law was to make sure that the citizens were able to be called up to wage war. That was the purpose. Therefore, the 2nd Amendment protects weapons of war that an individual soldier would have access to.

• Dave_L

What business is it of Christians to wage war?

• dct112685

@Dave_L said:

That is a different question. And I believe it is a matter of conscience. Yours obviously says that we should have no military and if we do Christians should not be a part of it. Mine says otherwise. We have to agree to disagree there Dave. You and I will never agree on that point so you might as well quit bringing it up to me.

• Dave_L

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

That is a different question. And I believe it is a matter of conscience. Yours obviously says that we should have no military and if we do Christians should not be a part of it. Mine says otherwise. We have to agree to disagree there Dave. You and I will never agree on that point so you might as well quit bringing it up to me.

I believe the Civil Magistrate and those sent by him have the power of the sword according to scripture. But any others assuming the role do not.

• dct112685

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

I believe the Civil Magistrate and those sent by him have the power of the sword according to scripture. But any others assuming the role do not.

What if the Civil Magistrate give that power to them, that's not other assuming the role, that makes them an extension of the civil magistrate. It's called a militia.

• Dave_L

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

What if the Civil Magistrate give that power to them, that's not other assuming the role, that makes them an extension of the civil magistrate. It's called a militia.

As I said, the Civil Magistrate and those sent by him have the power of the sword according to scripture. But any others assuming the role do not.

• dct112685

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

As I said, the Civil Magistrate and those sent by him have the power of the sword according to scripture. But any others assuming the role do not.

So then you agree that the citizens of the United States are an extension of the Civil Magistrate because the Constitution declares a militia is necessary?

• Dave_L

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

So then you agree that the citizens of the United States are an extension of the Civil Magistrate because the Constitution declares a militia is necessary?

Only through proper channels.

• dct112685

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

What does that mean?

• Dave_L

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

What does that mean?

Either by military draft, or enlistment. Using government issued arms under Government control.

• dct112685

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

What does that mean?

Either by military draft, or enlistment. Using government issued arms under Government control.

That's not what the Constitution says so your argument is invalid.

• Dave_L

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

What does that mean?

It is what the Bible says.

• dct112685

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

What does that mean?

What verse?

• Dave_L

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

What does that mean?

What verse?

Romans 13 comes to mind. Also Peter comments on it.

• Bill_Coley
    Bill_Coley Posts: 2,675

@davidtaylorjr said:
    Let's look at local media http://www.sun-sentinel.com/local/broward/parkland/florida-school-shooting/fl-reg-florida-school-shooting-devos-20180307-story.html

It's evident. The brats that want nothing but gun control were the ones complaining. Everyone else was happy about the visit.

Your reading of the "local media" story to which you linked is different from mine. You conclude from the story that gun control-seeking "brats" complained, but "everyone else was happy about the visit." I read the very first line of the story to call your reading into question:

"When the nation’s education chief showed up Wednesday at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, a lot of students were less than impressed."

So the story says "a lot of students" were not impressed by the secretary's visit, which to me rules out the possibility that those students were "happy" about it. To my reading of the rest of the story, it quotes three students' social media posts that object to the inconsequential results of the secretary's visit, posts from two other students - made in advance of the visit - that express great skepticism about the visit, and a supportive social media post of one student who is described as an opponent of "the gun restrictions."

So five social media posts from students clearly not "happy" about the secretary's visit, and one from a student supportive of it. I find no characterization of the larger student body's reaction in the story other than the opening line's reference to "a lot of students." You claim the story says "everyone else was happy about the visit." Where in the story - please quote from it - do you find support for your claim?

@C_M_ said:

No, because there are some of them that are being logical, respectful, and rational but aren't getting media limelight. The others are brats who brag about hanging up on the White House and complain about the Education Secretary (who has nothing to do with gun control) being there.

In your view, David, can a student be "logical, respectful, and rational" AND support the kind of strengthened gun control restrictions with which you disagree? Or are the only "logical, respectful, and rational" students those who agree with your opposition to strengthened gun control restrictions?

Why can't I encourage them? I do encourage the ones who aren't just trying to have their two minutes of fame and are not acting like brats.

In your view, David, is it possible for a Parkland high school student to support and work for strengthened gun control restrictions and NOT act like a "brat"?

@Dave_L said:

I hope he is not.

I hope we will conform our wills to what God is doing in the aftermath of the tragedy at the Parkland high school.