Why Is Arming Teachers A Bad Idea?

1. It makes teachers a target.
  2. They have enough to do.
  3. Teachers don't get "in the line of duty death benefits" (like soldiers, $100,000, tax-free).
  4. It makes the schoolhouse a war zone.
  5. Should the gun-carrying teachers get higher pay (combat-pay) than the other teachers?
  6. What happens if a gun-carrying teacher loses his or her cool with a student?
  7. What happens when a teacher shoots a student at the presence of an intruder or out of control student?
  8. What chance or comparison is there with a teacher with .38 or .45 mag and an intruder with a AR 15 Assault Rifle?
  9. What happens when the gun carrying is absent the day an intruder shows up?
  10. How will the gun-carrying teachers be placed around the school (logistics of the classroom)?
  11. Will the students have the option to refuse to be a classroom with a gun carrying teacher?
  12. Who determines how many guns carrying teachers per school?
  13. Who will pay for the training of the teachers, pay for the guns, and does the teacher select the caliber of gun or all teachers to carry what's given?
  14. Do the teachers take the gun home or store it at the end of each day?
  15. Is it better to prevent an intruder from entering the building than confronting him in the classroom?
  16. Should President Trump make his case to the NEA, UFT and other teacher's unions?
  17. Must the teacher be required to wear a bulletproof vest?
  18. Who justifies the teacher's shooting?

These and other questions need to ask and answered without the influence of the NRA. The school needs a bigger budget, pencils, pens, and books, not bullets pistol-packing teachers patrolling halls and classrooms. God helps the children under Mr. Trump watch as President. CM

Comments

• Bill_Coley
    Bill_Coley Posts: 2,675

@C_M_ said:
    2. They have enough to do.
    3. Teachers don't get "in the line of duty death benefits" (like soldiers, $100,000, tax-free).
    4. It makes the schoolhouse a war zone....
    These and other questions need to ask and answered without the influence of the NRA. The school needs a bigger budget, pencils, pens, and books, not bullets pistol-packing teachers patrolling halls and classrooms. God helps the children under Mr. Trump watch as President. CM

A thoughtful, provocative set of questions, C.M. Very well done.

Your item #4 - that guns would make schools war zones - points to one of the most important reasons I oppose guns in school: They would fundamentally and harmfully transform the identity of the school house. In schools, teachers teach and students learn. Weaponizing teachers would morph them into law enforcement officers, defacto deputies of local policing agencies. That's not who teachers are, or what schools are for.

I make the same argument when it comes to guns in churches. As long as I have any say in the matter, there won't be guns in the church I serve because guns violate our core identity as followers of the Prince of Peace, as followers of the one who rejected his disciples' use of a sword against the Roman soldiers sent to arrest him (Luke 22.47-53), and as people inspired by Paul's word to the Corinthians about the "weapons" of his ministry against the forces that threatened him (2 Corinthians 6.3-10).

• @C_M_ said:

I see, before this they were not a target? those who were killed in previous school schootings were just collateral damage?

1. They have enough to do.

how much extra work is it for them to carry a weapon of self-defense?

1. Teachers don't get "in the line of duty death benefits" (like soldiers, $100,000, tax-free).

What sick mind can come up with such an idea?

1. It makes the schoolhouse a war zone.

Oh .... really? what kind of zone was it until now where such amok run shootings happened? And what would make a school a war zone?
    What kind of sick head could be brainwashed to have such an idea and not be able to distinguish between most basic fundamental things?

1. Should the gun-carrying teachers get higher pay (combat-pay) than the other teachers?
    2. What happens if a gun-carrying teacher loses his or her cool with a student?
    3. What happens when a teacher shoots a student at the presence of an intruder or out of control student?

I see the effects of evil brainwashing in such questions .... you know, folks have been murdered by kitchen knives, and I suggest that you put away all kitchen knives in your kitchen, maybe your wife would somehow snap and kill you with one ?

what does Trump have to do with anything? The problem was in place before him

But then, most US folks can't think, seem to have been totally brainwashed and their minds so warped that it one cannot hold a decent conversation with them without such non-coherent thinking as displayed in these questions showing up

• dct112685
    dct112685 Posts: 1,114

@C_M_ said:

They were already a target.

1. They have enough to do.

During an active shooter scenario this would be their only focus.

1. Teachers don't get "in the line of duty death benefits" (like soldiers, $100,000, tax-free).

What does this have to do with anything?

1. It makes the schoolhouse a war zone.

In an active shooter situation they already are.

1. Should the gun-carrying teachers get higher pay (combat-pay) than the other teachers?

Yes

1. What happens if a gun-carrying teacher loses his or her cool with a student?

What if Jupiter ran into Mars? These would be highly trained professionals. How often do police officers lose their cool and shoot someone?

1. What happens when a teacher shoots a student at the presence of an intruder or out of control student?

?

1. What chance or comparison is there with a teacher with .38 or .45 mag and an intruder with a AR 15 Assault Rifle?

Better than an unarmed one.

1. What happens when the gun carrying is absent the day an intruder shows up?

This question doesn't even belong on the list.

1. How will the gun-carrying teachers be placed around the school (logistics of the classroom)?

They are in their classrooms obviously.

1. Will the students have the option to refuse to be a classroom with a gun carrying teacher?

No, that's just dumb.

1. Who determines how many guns carrying teachers per school?

TBD

1. Who will pay for the training of the teachers, pay for the guns, and does the teacher select the caliber of gun or all teachers to carry what's given?

We are talking about teachers who are already trained and have their own weapon.

1. Do the teachers take the gun home or store it at the end of each day?

Their own weapon.

1. Is it better to prevent an intruder from entering the building than confronting him in the classroom?

Yes

1. Should President Trump make his case to the NEA, UFT and other teacher's unions?

Not sure.

1. Must the teacher be required to wear a bulletproof vest?

No

1. Who justifies the teacher's shooting?

Same rules as police. If life is in danger.

These questions, half of them, have no real basis in why it is not a good idea for teacher's to be armed. The ones that have semi-merit are easily countered.

• Dave_L
    Dave_L Posts: 2,362

Kamikaze teachers. This beats everything so far.....

• GaoLu
    GaoLu Posts: 1,368

I wonder what the teachers in high risk areas think.

• @GaoLu said:
    I wonder what the teachers in high risk areas think.

I read a report with an interview in the wake of a school shooting out in Washington State (not sure, if I remember the location correctly), where a teacher was sorry to not have had a weapon on him as he could have confronted and possibly stopped the mad guy before another larger number of students and fellow teachers lost their lives

• dct112685

@Dave_L said:

Who said anything about Kamikaze teachers?

• Dave_L

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

What do you think I meant?

• dct112685

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

I'm not sure since Kamikaze pilots were pilots who intentionally committed suicide to kill the enemy....

• Dave_L

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

I'm not sure since Kamikaze pilots were pilots who intentionally committed suicide to kill the enemy....

Isn't arming teachers placing all in harm's way as the primary target? Even if only few might be armed?

• dct112685

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

Isn't arming teachers placing all in harm's way as the primary target? Even if only few might be armed?

No. Not even sure how you arrive at such a conclusion.

• Dave_L

If a teacher is a first responder, what becomes more important? Shooting it out or herding the class to safety?

• dct112685

@Dave_L said:
    If a teacher is a first responder, what becomes more important? Shooting it out or herding the class to safety?

Dave both would be priorities. And it isn't shooting it out. It is, if you see the shooter you can neutralize them immediately.

• Dave_L

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

Dave both would be priorities. And it isn't shooting it out. It is, if you see the shooter you can neutralize them immediately.

Shouldn't everyone including students have the right to bear arms under law?

• dct112685

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

What does this have to do with the thread? Nothing. Do not derail yet another topic.

• Dave_L

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

What does this have to do with the thread? Nothing. Do not derail yet another topic.

The topic is arming teachers. So I ask why not arm students also of legal gun owning age?

• dct112685

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

The topic is arming teachers. So I ask why not arm students also of legal gun owning age?

Most students are not of legal owning age. And we are not talking about students, we are talking about actually proposed fixes of arming teachers. Please stay on topic.

• Dave_L

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

Most students are not of legal owning age. And we are not talking about students, we are talking about actually proposed fixes of arming teachers. Please stay on topic.

Minimum Age for Gun Possession: Subject to limited exceptions*, federal law prohibits the possession of a handgun or handgun ammunition by any person under the age of 18. Federal law provides no minimum age for the possession of long guns or long gun ammunition.

Minimum Age to Purchase & Possess | Giffords Law Center to Prevent ...
    lawcenter.giffords.org/gun-laws/policy-areas/who-can-have-a-gun/minimum-age/

• dct112685

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

Minimum Age for Gun Possession: Subject to limited exceptions*, federal law prohibits the possession of a handgun or handgun ammunition by any person under the age of 18. Federal law provides no minimum age for the possession of long guns or long gun ammunition.

So do you think it is practical for students to be carrying long guns to school? No. That's why this is off-topic Dave.

• Dave_L

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

So do you think it is practical for students to be carrying long guns to school? No. That's why this is off-topic Dave.

I do not see any rational difference between arming students of legal age and teachers. The Law is the Law.

• dct112685

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

I do not see any rational difference between arming students of legal age and teachers. The Law is the Law.

We aren't talking about arming teachers with long rifles. We are talking about concealed carry. Students aren't eligible for that Dave.

• Dave_L
    edited February 2018

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

We aren't talking about arming teachers with long rifles. We are talking about concealed carry. Students aren't eligible for that Dave.

We are talking about teachers' and students' rights to bear arms. We should not infringe either.

• dct112685

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

We are talking about teachers' and students' rights to bear arms. We should not infringe either.

No Dave, that is not the topic of this thread. The topic of this thread is whether or not we should have armed teachers in schools.

• Dave_L
    edited February 2018

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

No Dave, that is not the topic of this thread. The topic of this thread is whether or not we should have armed teachers in schools.

It still remains that students should be armed if teachers are armed. It is a bad idea to arm teachers if students remained unarmed.

• dct112685

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

It still remains that students should be armed if teachers are armed. It is a bad idea to arm teachers if students remained unarmed.

How do you figure that?

• Dave_L

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

How do you figure that?

How can people limit the benefits of the 2nd Amendment to some and not others of legal age? In our NRA discussions I asked why we need an armed citizenry when we have government to protect and defend the Constitution. If we justify having both, why would we want only the government to have arms in crime prone school areas and not the citizens?

If gun control good for the classroom? Then why not in the community?

• dct112685

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

How do you figure that?

How can people limit the benefits of the 2nd Amendment to some and not others of legal age? In our NRA discussions I asked why we need an armed citizenry when we have government to protect and defend the Constitution. If we justify having both, why would we want only the government to have arms in crime prone school areas and not the citizens?

I have no idea what you are talking about Dave.

• Dave_L
    edited February 2018

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

How do you figure that?

Do you think it is good to deny 2nd Amendment rights to some and not to others? As in a classroom where teachers carry guns and students do not? If so, why not gun control for all?

In response to the topic: I believe arming teachers and not students is a bad idea.

• dct112685

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

How do you figure that?

Do you think it is good to deny 2nd Amendment rights to some and not to others? As in a classroom where teachers carry guns and students do not? If so, why not gun control for all?

In response to the topic: I believe arming teachers and not students is a bad idea.

Students can't own weapons Dave. They aren't old enough.