What do you do for Sermon Preparation?

How does everyone here prepare for a sermon?

Are you topical? Expository? Something Else?

What commentaries do you use? What translation do you preach out of? Do you use a manuscript or an outline?

Would love to hear everyone's thoughts and processes.

Comments

• GaoLu
    GaoLu Posts: 1,368
    edited March 2018

@davidtaylorjr said:
    How does everyone here prepare for a sermon?

Are you topical? Expository? Something Else?

I am mostly an expository preacher, but not entirely. Perhaps many "expository preachers" really just pick topics from the text they are expositing. How much difference is there really? A danger to long-term topical preaching is that the congregation may miss a lot of the context. Topical preaching, Scripturally based, can address specific needs better than grueling limiting what one says to the text in a specific passage.

Looking forward to more views here.

What commentaries do you use?

Very many. I have collections from different perspectives. I use them to sort of finish trim my messages and to be sure I haven't shinnied up the wrong pole in my hyper-focus preparing. Right theology and correct interpretation matter and I have some ideas I have picked up here and there that are not always right.

What translation do you preach out of?

That depends on the audience. If they are KJV only, then its best to stick with KJV if we don't want to trip people up so that they don't hear the message. I preach in congregations of many different languages and in those settings use a translator. I try to get some idea of the original Mss's underlying translation of the text in a local church and use an English version that best correlates to their own. That helps prevent the translator and listeners from getting lost.

For KJV audiences: KJV. Sometimes I slip in a little NKJV.
    For others, I lean ESV and some NASB. Rarely NIV. I am not a fan of the NIV, although I enjoy it for personal reading.
    I use the local language if I know it. I am no very gifted linguistically. Though I have prayed for the gift of tongues for preaching, God seems to deem it best for me to learn the HARD way.

Do you use a manuscript or an outline?

I do. Some people have minds that can just rattle on like an artesian spring. Maybe that is the Spirit and maybe its people who have a lot to say and the gift of gab. Some can memorize extremely well. I am just me, and I do best with some kind of outline, though I sometimes get lost because I venture so far overboard. Still, the outlines help a lot.

• Dave_L
    Dave_L Posts: 2,362

The times I've shared I normally do not prepare and only speak on what I know really well. There seems to be more spontaneity and interaction with the listeners this way. Jesus did this all of the time. Paul too and he could speak for hours.

• dct112685
    dct112685 Posts: 1,114

@Dave_L said:
    The times I've shared I normally do not prepare and only speak on what I know really well. There seems to be more spontaneity and interaction with the listeners this way. Jesus did this all of the time. Paul too and he could speak for hours.

The circumstances between us and Paul or Jesus are a little different don't you think? And do you really know that Paul did not prepare, or do you just assume that?

• Dave_L

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

The circumstances between us and Paul or Jesus are a little different don't you think? And do you really know that Paul did not prepare, or do you just assume that?

I'm only saying, there is no NT model for what the colleges and seminaries push today. Especially when it comes to standing in front of cameras so you can critique your "performance".

• dct112685

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

I'm only saying, there is no NT model for what the colleges and seminaries push today. Especially when it comes to standing in front of cameras so you can critique your "performance".

Thank you for your opinion. That isn't what this thread is about. Please do not respond.

• Dave_L

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

Thank you for your opinion. That isn't what this thread is about. Please do not respond.

I am sharing about how and why I view sermon prep as I do.

• dct112685

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

That's not what I am asking. I am asking about how individuals here actually prepare for sermons they actually preach. It's not a theological question. It's a practical question. We already know you do not go to church or any fellowship so I was a little surprised when you answered.

• Dave_L

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

That's not what I am asking. I am asking about how individuals here actually prepare for sermons they actually preach. It's not a theological question. It's a practical question. We already know you do not go to church or any fellowship so I was a little surprised when you answered.

Again, I shared my sermon prep technique. If you know what your talking about you are always prepped.