What is worship? Is It required of all Christians?

C Mc
C Mc Posts: 4,463
edited January 2023 in Biblical Studies

"Oh, come, let us sing to the Lord! Let us shout joyfully to the Rock of our salvation. Let us come before His presence with thanksgiving; let us shout joyfully to Him with psalms. For the Lord is the great God and the great King above all gods. In His hand are the deep places of the earth; the heights of the hills are His also. The sea is His, for He made it, and His hands formed the dry land. Oh, come, let us worship and bow down; let us kneel before the Lord our Maker. For He is our God, and we are the people of His pasture and the sheep of His hand. Today, if you will hear His voice: "Do not harden your hearts, as in the rebellion, and as in the day of trial in the wilderness" (Psalm 95:1-8).

Not only should one know what the text says, but above all, what does it means for the average person in the Twenty-first Century? CM

Comments

• Psalm 95:1-11 LEB (with italicized words added for smooth English removed) =>

Come, let us sing for joy to Yahweh; let us shout joyfully to the rock of our salvation. Let us come before his presence with thanksgiving; with songs let us shout joyfully to him. For Yahweh great God, and great king over all gods, in whose hand unexplored places of earth, and heights of mountains his, to whom belongs the sea that he made, and dry land his hands formed. Come in, let us worship and bow down; let us kneel before Yahweh, our maker. For he our God, and we the people of his pasture and the sheep of his hand. Today if you will hear his voice: “Do not harden your heart as Meribah, as the day of Massah in the wilderness, when your ancestors tried me. They put me to the test, though they had seen my work. For forty years I loathed generation, and said, ‘a people heart wanders. And my ways they do not know.’ Therefore I swore in my anger, ‘They shall surely not enter into my rest.’ ”

🙏 Prayerfully pondering Hebrew verbal kind of action intensity shows ongoing volitional joyful singing & shouting to our יהוה Great God (past/present/future). Phrase "Come in, let us worship and bow down; let us kneel before Yahweh, our maker." begins with imperative command Come (like Come to begin Psalm 95). The verb "bow in worship" expresses causitive reflexive action of people participating in worship: causing thoughts to become actions (e.g. kneel down) with actions affecting thoughts: e.g. on my knees joyfully lifting up Worship & Praise to our Holy יהוה Great God.

To me, every human chooses what to ❤️ Love most, which can be expressed in Worship. My understanding is human thoughts congeal into beliefs, which flow out in actions & words. Our Holy יהוה Great God will correctly reward human actions & words => eternal life OR damnation. My expectation is every believer in יהוה Yeshua HaMashiach, Lord Jesus Christ wanting to Worship our Holy יהוה Great God to joyfully express ❤️ Love with Thanksgiving for righteous forgiveness & cleansing from sin.

Knowing my own heart is deceitful (Jeremiah 17:9-10), my 🙏 prayers ask our Holy יהוה Great God to help me Holy ❤️ Love our Holy יהוה Great God with all my heart (emotional), mind (mental), soul (social), strength (physical) so I can Worship (spiritual) our Holy יהוה Great God as designed & deserved. I can only imagine wonderful Worship without the sin nature in my flesh fighting against our Holy יהוה Great God.

Thankfully my knees let me bow down for Worship, Praise, & 🙏 Prayerful abiding in our Holy יהוה Great God, Righteous King of the Universe 😍

Keep Smiling 😊