The New World Translation (NWT) by JW's is a quite good translation

Truth
Truth Posts: 521
edited November 2021 in Apologetics

While the NWT gets a lot right, a little leaven has leavened the whole batch. The JW "Bible" is craftily distorted to accommodate passages critical to JW cult ideas. Below are some examples.

[Also note how JW's ignore--out of fear of their "Popes"--all the questions they are unable or afraid to answer. They just blather on what the Watchtower has indoctrinated them to say. @BroRando is a classic example]

Radical Mistranslations in the New World Translation

Genesis 1:2

Now the earth proved to be formless and waste and there was darkness upon the surface of [the] watery deep; and God’s active force was moving to and fro over the surface of the waters.

Exodus 3:14

At this God said to Moses: ‘I shall prove to be what I shall prove to be.’ And he added: ‘This is what you are to say to the sons of Israel, “I shall prove to be has sent me to you.”’

Numbers 1:52

And the sons of Israel must encamp each with reference to his camp and each man by his [three-tribe] division by their armies.

Matthew 2:11

And when they went into the house they saw the young child with Mary its mother, and, falling down, they did obeisance to it. ...

Matthew 25:46

And these will depart into everlasting cutting-off, but the righteous ones into everlasting life.

Luke 23:43

And he said to him: ‘Truly I tell you today. You will be with me in Paradise.’

John 1:1

In [the] beginning the Word was, and the Word was with God, and the Word was a god.

John 1:18

No man has seen God at any time; the only-begotten god who is in the bosom position with the Father is the one that has explained him.

John 8:58

Jesus said to them: ‘Most truly I say to you, before Abraham came into existence, I have been.

Acts 20:28

Pay attention to yourselves and to all the flock, among which the holy spirit has appointed you overseers, to shepherd the congregation of God, which he purchased with the blood of his own [Son].

Romans 8:28

Now we know that God makes all his works co-operate together for the good of those who love God, those who are the ones called according to his purpose.

Mistranslations of the New World Translation

I Corinthians 6:19-20

What! Do YOU not know that the body of YOU people is [the] temple of the holy spirit within YOU, which YOU have from God? Also, YOU do not belong to yourselves, for YOU were bought with a price. By all means, glorify God in the body of YOU people.

Philippians 2:6

Who, although he was existing in God’s form, gave no consideration to a seizure, namely, that he should be equal to God.

Colossians 1:16-20

Because by means of him all [other] things were created in the heavens and upon the earth, the things visible and the things invisible, no matter whether they are thrones or lordships or governments or authorities. All [other] things have been created through him and for him. Also, he is before all [other] things and by means of him all [other] things were made to exist, and he is the head of the body, the congregation. He is the beginning, the first-born from the dead, that he might become the one who is first in all things; because God saw good for all fullness to dwell in him, and through him to reconcile again in himself all [other] things by making peace through the blood [he shed] on the torture stake, no matter whether they are the things upon the earth or the things in the heavens.

II Peter 3:10

Yet Jehovah’s day will come as a thief, in which the heavens will pass away with a hissing noise, but the elements being intensely hot will be dissolved, and earth and the works in it will be discovered.

Tagged:

Comments

• This guy don't beleive removing Jesus Christ and inserting the demonic forumla.

I wonder why?

Peter said to them: “Repent, and let each one of you be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ for forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the free gift of the holy spirit. Acts 2:38

The Catholic Encyclopedia, II, page 263: The baptismal formula was changed from the name of Jesus Christ to the words Father, Son, and Holy Spirit by the Catholic Church in the second century.

Catholic Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger: 

• He makes this confession as to the origin of the chief Trinity text of Matthew 28:19. “The basic form of our (Matthew 28:19 Trinitarian) profession of faith took shape during the course of the second and third centuries in connection with the ceremony of baptism. So far as its place of origin is concerned, the text (Matthew 28:19) came from the city of Rome.” — Joseph Ratzinger (Pope Benedict XVI) Introduction to Christianity: 1968 edition, pp. 82, 83.

Thankful for Google transliterates יהוה in English as Jehovah. Visit JW.org about whom Jesus Christ calls the Only True God in (John 17:3)

• Why do you support replacing Name of Jesus Christ for Baptism?

The Catholic Encyclopedia, II, page 263: The baptismal formula was changed from the name of Jesus Christ to the words Father, Son, and Holy Spirit by the Catholic Church in the second century.

Thankful for Google transliterates יהוה in English as Jehovah. Visit JW.org about whom Jesus Christ calls the Only True God in (John 17:3)

• Truth
    Truth Posts: 521

A related Question:

Who trusts and uses the NWT?

1. JW's only?
    2. Anyone marveling at the translation idiosyncrasies by anonymous cult translation?
    3. Who all here?
    4. Anyone else?

I do have a paper copy somewhere. Or used to. It got appropriately tucked under a stack of falsehood by Joseph Smith, the book of Morman, the Muslims (Quran), Buddhists, Daoists, Hare Krishnas, Hindus, Native American shamans, etc.

• C Mc
    C Mc Posts: 4,463

Hoekema wrote:

"Their New World Translation of the Bible is by no means an objective rendering of the sacred text into modern English, but is a biased translation in which many of the peculiar teachings of the Watchtower Society are smuggled into the text of the Bible itself."

@Truth said:

"Who trusts and uses the NWT?"

The inattentive and the unenlightened. CM

• Only the AntiChrist would reject (Acts 2:38)

"For many trinitarians have gone out into the world, those not acknowledging Jesus Christ as coming in the flesh. This is the deceiver and the antichrist." (2 John 1:7)

You're the ones rejecting the Baptism in the Name of Jesus Christ. People can read your thread. You're own words expose your hyprocrasy. The Catholic Encyclopedia, II, page 263: The baptismal formula was changed from the name of Jesus Christ to the words Father, Son, and Holy Spirit by the Catholic Church in the second century.

• Brother Rando
    Brother Rando Posts: 1,320
    edited December 2021

In Exodus 7:1 many religions removed God's Name. Notice this note from Strong's Lexicon. Strong's Hebrew 3068: Jehovah, the proper name of the one true God 

Strong's Lexicon

The LORD

יְהוָה֙ (Yah·weh)

Noun - proper - masculine singular

Strong's Hebrew 3068: Jehovah = 'the existing One' 1) the proper name of the one true God 1a) unpronounced except with the vowel pointings of H0136

Exodus 7:1 Parallel: And the LORD said unto Moses, See, I have made thee a god to Pharaoh: and Aaron thy brother shall be thy prophet.