How the words we use affect the way we think | Mary Page Wilson-Lyons | TEDxBirminghamSalon

Comments

• Dave_L
    Dave_L Posts: 2,362
    edited February 2018

Thanks BK, very interesting. I relate to this in different ways. Having been in sales, one technique that bothered me was product association. That is where a person sells one product on the merits of another. I can see the same technique in the video where they contrast disadvantage with a virtue that they presume will fix it.

I can also relate to how our words create good or bad trains of thought. As James says, the tongue is like a ship's rudder. And we can steer ourselves and others according to what we say and how we say it. As a supervisor, I noticed one negative person would plummet the morale of the entire group within hours. One time we lost two negative persons and production increased by a third! Without doing anything!

And so on.....

• C Mc
    C Mc Posts: 4,463

@Mitchell said:

“For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he: Eat and drink, saith he to thee; but his heart is not with thee.” Prov. 23:7

The reverse the OP is also true: What we think manifest themselves in words. Then of course, what we hear ourselves say, re-enforces what we think. Especially, if affirmed by another or others, we continue with our thoughts. Is it sickness, conditioning, or a way of life to survive? CM

PS. I will take a 2nd look later.

• Mitchell
    Mitchell Posts: 668

I would like to thank you both Dave L and CM for your feedback!