Should President Biden Pardon Donald J. Trump of Federal Crimes?

C Mc
C Mc Posts: 4,463
edited January 2021 in News & Current Events

CD Posters,

Please consider this possibility, but I cannot project the probability of such, that is pardon. I think President Biden should pardon Mr. Trump. Yes, I said it. It's suitable for the National Healing. A pardon will not wipe away all Trump's State problems, but it will give him a chance to catch himself to deal with his other issues. Trust me, and they are many. I like to think Bill C. would list all the legal charges that are pending or charges filed.

Biden doesn't owe Trump anything. Besides, a pardon is not about paying back a debt or a favor. A Pardon is about showing a little GRACE (giving him what he doesn't deserve; "Unmerited favor") and MERCY (not giving  what he does deserve (indictment/jail). Please, don't ask what federal crimes?

Pardoning is the Christian thing to do. Trump needs it; America needs it; and because Biden is a different character of a man. The world needs to see love, the law, and compassion in action. Mr. Trump may never ask, accept it, or express appreciation, but Biden should give a pardon.

If I had the new President's ear, I would suggest pardoning and encourage him to do it. CD Posters, you agree with my position? If not, why not? CM

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 2021

Finally, someone speaks out and doesn't mince words ...

In December 2019, an opinion piece supposedly written by actor/director Clint Eastwood that began “I love it when people call Trump stupid” started going viral on social media: 

Had to share from Clint Eastwood

I love when people call Trump Stupid..

You mean the multi-billionaire who kicked every Democrats butt, buried 16 career Republican politicians, and continues to make fools out of once reputable news organizations …

You mean the guy who won the presidency?

You mean the guy with the super model wife?

You mean the guy whose words alone put a massive slow down on illegal border crossings?

You mean the guy whose mere presence made the stock market smash its previous records?

You mean the guy who created 1 million jobs in his first 7 months in office?

Are you sure you even know what it is you’re resisting?

Are you sure you back a party that enables the decimation of every core principal of Christianity?

Are you sure you back a party that voted 100% against the abolition of slavery?

Are you sure you really take a politician like Maxine Waters seriously?

Are you sure you don’t see anything wrong with someone who has a 40 yr career as a public servant living in a $4.5 mansion representing a district she doesn’t even live in?

Are you sure you see nothing wrong or peculiar about Hillary Clinton a woman being involved in politics for the last 30 yrs having a net worth of $240 million?

Are you sure you’re not just basing your opinion on hatred spewed by a crooked paid for media platform?

Could you even tell me 5 things the Democratic Party has done to improve you’re day to day prosperity as a hard working American citizen?

Probably not..

@C Mc , what crimes need to be pardoned?

• C Mc

CD Posters, do you agree with my position? If not, why not? CM

• reformed
    reformed Posts: 3,176

@C Mc what federal crimes?

• Bill_Coley
    Bill_Coley Posts: 2,675
    edited January 2021

@C Mc posted:

If I had the new President's ear, I would suggest pardoning and encourage him to do it. CD Posters, you agree with my position? If not, why not?

In my view, President Biden should definitely NOT pardon President Trump. The principal reasons are accountability for past actions and precedents for future presidents.

We say no one, not even the president of the United States, is above the law. But presidential pardons in effect allow other presidents to escape due accountability for their actions.

• There is little doubt among legal scholars that Richard Nixon committed federal crimes for which he could have been held accountable. President Ford's pardon allowed him to escape such accountability.
    • There is little - make that "no" - doubt that Donald Trump has committed federal crimes for which he could face accountability. Though he certainly still faces state law violation accountability, a presidential pardon would allow him to escape Federal accountability.

What message do presidential pardons of previous presidents send? You can do whatever you want to do while in office, as long as your crimes are Federal, not state crimes, because your successor will pardon you. Yes, you might get impeached for what you did - twice! - but the Senate will likely be too partisanly divided to generate a 2/3 vote to convict you. And you might lose a re-election battle, but you won't face the charges ANYONE else who did what you did would face. So do whatever you want.

In the name of "moving on" and "healing the nation," presidents should demand that they themselves and their predecessors are held to the highest standards, and that the law is applied to their conduct every bit as much as it is to every other American's conduct.

As for the purpose of pardons, from what I read, our founders placed a pardon power in the Constitution basically as a check on the judiciary, to allow the nation's chief executive to correct injustices - e.g. cases in which innocent people are wrongly convicted or guilty people are excessively sentenced. Neither is the case for Mr. Trump.

I believe in mercy, but not for the unrepentant. Were Mr Trump to sign an affidavit under oath and the penalty of perjury that he in fact intended to obstruct justice both when fired James Comey and when he ordered the White House counsel to fire Robert Mueller; and if in that affidavit he acknowledged that while in office he lied thousands of times to the American people, and that he and his family profited personally from his holding the office, in violation of the Emoluments clause; and if he would admit that his protests of the election result and his language about stolen, rigged elections did in fact spur his followers to seditious behavior, I might reconsider my conclusion. But Mr. Trump is not capable of such candor or self-inspection.

He has violated his oath of office more severely than any other president. He MUST be held to account for his conduct. President Biden must not pardon him.

[NOTE: The Biden Justice Department might decide not to prosecute Mr Trump. If so, so be it. If professional prosecutors decide the evidence does not support charges, they should not prosecute. My claim in this post is simply that President Biden should not take the option of prosecution away from the Justice Department via a pardon.]

• In my view, President Biden should definitely NOT pardon President Trump. The principal reasons are accountability for past actions and precedents for future presidents.

We say no one, not even the president of the United States, is above the law. But presidential pardons in effect allow other presidents to escape due accountability for their actions.

There is little doubt among legal scholars that Richard Nixon committed federal crimes for which he could have been held accountable. President Ford's pardon allowed him to escape such accountability.

There is little - make that "no" - doubt that Donald Trump has committed federal crimes for which he could face accountability. Though he certainly still faces state law violation accountability, a presidential pardon would allow him to escape Federal accountability.

And which specific federal crimes do you ascribe to president Trump?

• Bill_Coley

@Wolfgang posted:

And which specific federal crimes do you ascribe to president Trump?

The paragraph in my previous post that began with the words "I believe in mercy, but not for the unrepentant" proposed two, perhaps three, federal crimes; there may be/likely are others. The point of my post was that career Justice Department prosecutors, not President Biden, should decide whether to prosecute Mr. Trump.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited January 2021

The paragraph in my previous post that began with the words "I believe in mercy, but not for the unrepentant" proposed two, perhaps three, federal crimes; there may be/likely are others. The point of my post was that career Justice Department prosecutors, not President Biden, should decide whether to prosecute Mr. Trump.

Hmn .... I have no clue which of your points is supposed to constitute a federal crime? If it is lying, then a lot of people are federal criminals ...

As for USA presidents of recent times, there are quite a number in immediate line before Trump who have committed crimes against humanity, war crimes, as well as actions to the detriment of the USA people at large ....(e.g. Obama, Bush Jr., Clinton, Bush Sen. .... ) Interestingly, no such crimes exist to be laid at Trump's feet ...

• Bill_Coley

@Wolfgang posted:

Hmn .... I have no clue which of your points is supposed to constitute a federal crime? If it is lying, then a lot of people are federal criminals ...

Obstruction of justice is - or at least in Mr. Trump's case, would be - a federal crime (obstructing the Mueller investigation).

Violating the emoluments clause of the U.S. Constitution is a federal crime.

Seditious conspiracy, which as I read the statute includes incitement of seditious conduct, is a federal crime.

Lying to the American people as president is not a federal crime.

• What you cite as federal crimes are Democrats driven unproven accusations ...

You want to mention "conspiracy" .... Trump's enemies are the real conspirators who have turnedd USA Into a police state, robbed US citizens of quite a number of constitutional rights and liberties, have incited false flag operations to do so, etc etc ....

It's time to wake up ... and realize what has been going on from before US voters voted Trump into office and thus "interrupted" the conspirators' plans, causing them to immediately start their hate campaign against Trump ... and they haven't done anything good for the USA, but obstructed any attempts by Trump to put some power again to the people and uphold the constitution.

• Bill_Coley

@Wolfgang posted:

What you cite as federal crimes are Democrats driven unproven accusations ...

You asked about the specific federal crimes to which my previous post referred; I identified them for you. You're welcome to your viewpoints.

I won't engage you further on these matters, Wolfgang, because to do so would almost assuredly result in my asking you questions, and in the years we have shared these forums, you have a long and VERY predictable history of not even mentioning, let alone directly addressing, my questions when we engage on social and political matters. I will no longer subject myself to such an outcome.

• Zoom in and have a good look at the eyes of these Pelosi troops .... perhaps a Chinese" National Guard" ??? USA citizens, are you sure this Is still YOUR Country???

• C Mc

Wolfgang, you're becoming the king of nonsense and foolish-theories in these forms. Give it a rest. Trump is out and the election will not be overturned. Are you sorry you missed taking part in the riot? Love Trump, but let America heal. She is not without her sins and shame. Let her do something different to make up for the failed last four years under your beloved leader, Trump. CM

• reformed
    reformed Posts: 3,176

Didn't obstruct justice. Didn't violate Emoluments clause, what seditious conspiracy?

And you think America can heal under the current regime? You are more delusional than I thought.