Can it be determined from scripture, how many "persons" constitute "God?"

Matthew 22:31 But as touching the resurrection of the dead, have ye not read that which was spoken unto you by God, saying,32 I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living.

"egw eimi o` Theos"

Mark 12:26 And as touching the dead, that they rise: have ye not read in the book of Moses, how in the bush God spake unto him, saying, I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? 27 He is not the God of the dead, but the God of the living: ye therefore do greatly err.

Luke 1:19 And the angel answering said unto him, I am Gabriel, that stand in the presence of (Theou) God; [The Greek word for "GOD" is "Theou"= noun gen masc SINGULAR. Only ONE 'person' in a singular being.

CONSIDER:

Exodus 3:13 And Moses said unto God, Behold, when I come unto the children of Israel, and shall say unto them, The God of your fathers hath sent me unto you; and they shall say to me, What is his name? what shall I say unto them?

LXE Exodus 3:14 And God spoke to Moses, saying, (GRK.(egw eimi o` wn) I am THE BEING; and he said, Thus shall ye say to the children of Israel, THE BEING has sent me to you.

egw = Singular nominative personal pronoun= "I"

eimi = Singular present active indicative 1st person singular verb = "AM"

o` = Singular nominative masculine definite article = "THE"

wn = Singular present active nominative masculine verb participle = "BEING"

So GOD told MOSES "I AM THE BEING" using singular grammar to declare his singularity of persons.

He used this grammar (Singular) over 100 times in the Law, in the prophets, and in the Psalms, as well as into the New Testament, to demonstrate His "single-person" Being.

Furthermore, Jesus' own testimony demonstrated for all time, the He is "God's Christ" and NOT GOD.

Look at the grammar of the language Jesus used to demonstrate fpr all time, His humanity;

John 4:24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

Luke 24:39 Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.

And again, he said - John 7:17 "If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself;" Thus differentiating between Himself and God.

Luke 9:20 He said unto them, But whom say ye that I am? Peter answering said, The Christ of God.

Comments

• Hi Lamech:

There seems to be a Bible thrust on the mystery of Oneness:

ESV: Deu 6:4  “Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one.

LEB: Isa 9:6  For a child has been born for us; a son has been given to us. And the dominion will be on his shoulder, and his name is called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

Strange that Jesus would be called Everlasting Father.

LEB: Zec 14:9  And Yahweh will be king over all the earth; on that day Yahweh will be one and his name one.

Then the Apostle John saw the fulfillment of the prophecy by Zec. in Revelation 1:12-18.

For the Bible times persons, their way of dealing with transcendence and immanence of God was through mediators.

The Spirit of God was in the Angel of Yahweh (pre existent Jesus for some).

When Jesus incarnated, the Holy Spirit came to indwell Him and remained.

Then when Jesus resurrected, the fullness of Deity dwells bodily in Him, making Jesus the New Temple of God.

So note that by the presence of the Holy Spirit the presence of the Father is mediated, and by the tabernacle of Jesus the Father is mediated to deal with us close and personal.

Now the term Hypostasis was the term used to denote such distinct Beings.

Personas is not the best term to describe what seems to be (in Rev 1:12-18) a combination of the Ancient of Days and the Son of Man (Jesus resurrected in the case in Patmos).

That Jesus was not in full Deity status during His incarnation on Earth, is plausible because as a Hypostasis allowed to have life in Himself (to die for us), He let go of His divine status (see Philippians 2:6 - 9) in order to be able to die for us. That is why to perform His ministry in the miraculous had to receive the Holy Spirit from the Father.

Hope this gives a different angle for further study and reflection.

• Lamech
    Lamech Posts: 31

GOD told Moses that he (GOD) would "raise up a prophet, from among their brethren like unto Moses; Nothing about "sending down a GOD."

John 4: 24 God is Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

Luke 24:39 Behold my hands and my feet, that it is I myself: handle me, and see; for a spirit hath not flesh and bones, as ye see me have.  40 And when he had thus spoken, he shewed them his hands and his feet.

John 7:17 If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself.

John 12:49 For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak.50 And I know that his commandment is life everlasting: whatsoever I speak therefore, even as the Father said unto me, so I speak.

50 And I know that his commandment is life everlasting: whatsoever I speak therefore, even as the Father said unto me, so I speak.

• @HamiltonR wrote:

There seems to be a Bible thrust on the mystery of Oneness:

ESV: Deu 6:4  “Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God, the LORD is one.

There is no such "Bible thrust on the mystery of Oneness" at all ... the Bible is rather plain, clear and simple regarding the truth that GOD is only one singular Being. And the scripture you quoted from Deu 6:4 is fundamental to exactly that truth, as it does not speak about a "Oneness of more than one being".

• Lamech
    Lamech Posts: 31

Jesus himself gave us proof that he is not GOD.

Jesus spoke of a time during which His disciples left him and they had thought to leave him alone; John 16:32 Behold, the hour cometh, yea, is now come, that ye shall be scattered, every man to his own, and shall leave me (1)(monon) alone: and yet (2)(ouk eimi monos) I am not alone, because the Father is with me.

(1)monon = normal accusative masculine singular form of = adjective [UBS] monos, 

adjective = only, alone (Mt 12.4; Php 4.15) kata monon alone; (2) adverb = monon only alone  

(2)monos = nominative masculine singular form of adjective [UBS] monos, =

adjective only, alone (Mt 12.4; Php 4.15) kata monas alone; = adverb monon only, alone  

John 16:32 Behold, the hour cometh, yea, is now come, that ye shall be scattered, every man to his own, and shall leave me (1)(monon) alone: and yet (2)(ouk eimi monos) I am not alone, because the Father is with me.

(1)monon = normal accusative masculine singular form of = adjective [UBS] mono, 

adjective; only, alone (Mt 12.4; Php 4.15) kata monon alone; (2) adverb monon only, alone  

(2)monos = nominative masculine singular form of adjective [UBS] monos,

adjective = only, alone (Mt 12.4; Php 4.15) kata monas alone; adverb. monon only, alone.  

But look at how "monos" was used in Isaiah -

Isaiah 37:16 O LORD of hosts, God of Israel, that dwellest between the cherubims, thou art the God, even thou [monos] alone, of all the kingdoms of the earth: thou hast made heaven and earth.

Isaiah 37:20 Now therefore, O LORD our God, save us from his hand, that all the kingdoms of the earth may know that thou art the LORD, even thou [monos] only.

Isaiah 44:24 Thus saith the LORD, thy redeemer, and he that formed thee from the womb, I am the LORD that maketh all things; that stretcheth forth the heavens [monos] alone; that spreadeth abroad the earth by myself;

Through Isaiah, GOD tells us HE created all things ALONE. Jesus was NOT with God in the creative effort.

===========================================================

======================================================

=================================================

Then there is the ABUSE OF SCRIPTURE made by adding in English, what is NOT PROVIDED by the GREEK.

==========================================================

=====================================================

================================================

"BY JESUS CHRIST" IS NOT IN THE GREEK, THEREFORE IT WAS ADDED TO THE SCRIPTURE TO STRENGTHEN THE TRINITARIAN CREED MADE BY MEN:

KJV Ephesians 3:9 And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ:

GNT Ephesians 3:9 kai fwtsai pantas ts eeh` oikonomia tou musteeriou tou apokekrummenou apo twn aiwnwn en tw Thew tw ta panta ktisanti.

There are almost 400 additions, subtractions, and other alterations made in the KJV that do not agree with the GREEK.