Learn biblical Greek FREE: The best resources (in 2020) and why they are NOT enough

Comments

• Don't bother trying to learn Greek it will not help you in any way to know God better.

There are a lot of Calvinist Protestants who boast in their Greek, but they are far from the truth.

• @YourTruthGod said: There are a lot of Calvinist Protestants who boast in their Greek, but they are far from the truth.

I agree with you on this one! The majority of the so called Calvinist who claim to know Greek I have meet can't actually read the Greek New Testament without constant appeal to lexicon, Bible software, graded readers and other such cruches. Partly I blame the grammar-translation language pedagogue most often used to teach Koine Greek. I believe most seminary students never even advance to an intermediate level of Greek much less become fluent.

By the way and just for your information theological I am not a Calvinist. I simply can't accept their fatalistic paradigm and reading of scriptures.

@YourTruthGod claimed: Don't bother trying to learn Greek it will not help you in any way to know God better.

No, problem! As the purpose of learning Greek is very different what you continue to insinuate.

RATHER...

The purpose of language acquisition is to master a language or gain fluency in a language. Only once one has gained fluency or a high level of language competence can one can then use the language as a tool to understand literature and communication and in the case of modern languages to communicate.

Grace and Peace

• Keep_Smiling_4_Jesus
    Keep_Smiling_4_Jesus Posts: 1,119
    edited September 2020

@YourTruthGod Don't bother trying to learn Greek it will not help you in any way to know God better.

Respectfully disagree. What does not translate well from Greek to English is nuanced verbal intensity. Thankful for visual filter highlighting in Logos & Verbum Bible Software (on Windows and macOS) so can "see" range of Greek verbal intensity in resources having Logos Greek Morphological tagging, which includes 1900 KJV (King James Version) and Lexham English Bible in the Free Basic packages.

For example, Matthew 6:9-13 has seven imperative (command mode) verbs (1900 KJV):: After this manner therefore pray ye:

Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.

Thankful for Psalm 119:18 (LES) "Uncover my eyes, and I will perceive your wondrous things from your law." so can earnestly pray for God to uncover (open) my eyes to understand His Wondrous Words that grows my knowledge of God. Free Academic Basic for Logos/Verbum includes Lexham English Septuagint (LES) that allows Logos Greek Morphology visual filters to highlight English words in the Old Testament.

The most imperative verbs in one chapter is 1 Thessalonians 5 (1900 KJV); But of the times and the seasons, brethren, ye have no need that I write unto you. For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night. For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape. But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief. Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness. Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober. For they that sleep sleep in the night; and they that be drunken are drunken in the night. But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation. For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ, Who died for us, that, whether we wake or sleep, we should live together with him. Wherefore comfort yourselves together, and edify one another, even as also ye do.

And we beseech you, brethren, to know them which labour among you, and are over you in the Lord, and admonish you; And to esteem them very highly in love for their work’s sake. And be at peace among yourselves. Now we exhort you, brethren, warn them that are unruly, comfort the feebleminded, support the weak, be patient toward all men. See that none render evil for evil unto any man; but ever follow that which is good, both among yourselves, and to all men. Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. Quench not the Spirit. Despise not prophesyings. Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. Abstain from all appearance of evil. And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it.

Brethren, pray for us. Greet all the brethren with an holy kiss. I charge you by the Lord that this epistle be read unto all the holy brethren. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. Amen.

Personally am learning to pray & say: "Thank You God, I don't like, Thank You Lord, I don't understand, Thank You" (in obedience to the command: "In every thing give thanks" as every thing includes hurts, habits, and hang-ups along with Praising God for Good)

Keep Smiling 😊

Post edited by Keep_Smiling_4_Jesus on
  • So glad we have a couple of things in agreement. I like what you said about the Calvinists' beliefs and their Greek.

I am interested in whether or not you have already or will be coming out with your English translated Bible?

Could you tell me what your beliefs are and if you have a list of revelations about God's Word that are found out by your Greek knowledge?

• @Keep_Smiling_4_Jesus

Respectfully disagree. What does not translate well from Greek to English is nuanced verbal intensity. Thankful for visual filter highlighting in Logos & Verbum Bible Software (on Windows and macOS) so can "see" range of Greek verbal intensity in resources having Logos Greek Morphological tagging, which includes 1900 KJV (King James Version) and Lexham English Bible in the Free Basic packages.

For example, Matthew 6:9-13 has seven imperative (command mode) verbs (1900 KJV):: After this manner therefore pray ye:

Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever. Amen.

How does this prove you disproved me?

•  @Keep_Smiling_4_Jesus

Thankful for Psalm 119:18 (LES) "Uncover my eyes, and I will perceive your wondrous things from your law." so can earnestly pray for God to uncover (open) my eyes to understand His Wondrous Words that grows my knowledge of God. Free Academic Basic for Logos/Verbum includes Lexham English Septuagint (LES) that allows Logos Greek Morphology visual filters to highlight English words in the Old Testament.

A person's eyes won't be opened until they obey Jesus.

• @Keep_Smiling_4_Jesus

The most imperative verbs in one chapter is 1 Thessalonians 5 (1900 KJV); But of the times and the seasons, brethren, ye have no need that I write unto you. For yourselves know perfectly that the day of the Lord so cometh as a thief in the night. For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape. But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should overtake you as a thief. Ye are all the children of light, and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of darkness. Therefore let us not sleep, as do others; but let us watch and be sober. For they that sleep sleep in the night; and they that be drunken are drunken in the night. But let us, who are of the day, be sober, putting on the breastplate of faith and love; and for an helmet, the hope of salvation. For God hath not appointed us to wrath, but to obtain salvation by our Lord Jesus Christ, Who died for us, that, whether we wake or sleep, we should live together with him. Wherefore comfort yourselves together, and edify one another, even as also ye do.

And we beseech you, brethren, to know them which labour among you, and are over you in the Lord, and admonish you; And to esteem them very highly in love for their work’s sake. And be at peace among yourselves. Now we exhort you, brethren, warn them that are unruly, comfort the feebleminded, support the weak, be patient toward all men. See that none render evil for evil unto any man; but ever follow that which is good, both among yourselves, and to all menRejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. Quench not the Spirit. Despise not prophesyings. Prove all things; hold fast that which is good. Abstain from all appearance of evil. And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. Faithful is he that calleth you, who also will do it.Brethren, pray for us. Greet all the brethren with an holy kiss. I charge you by the Lord that this epistle be read unto all the holy brethren. The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. Amen.

All that is in all English translations, right? So why did you have to learn Greek?

Personally am learning to pray & say: "Thank You God, I don't like, Thank You Lord, I don't understand, Thank You" (in obedience to the command: "In every thing give thanks" as every thing includes hurts, habits, and hang-ups along with Praising God for Good)

I think if you don't give thanks to God even in bad times then it might cause one to be angry with Him or feel disconnected to Him.

• @YourTruthGod A person's eyes won't be opened until they obey Jesus.

Curious how David could be a man after God's own heart (Acts 13:22) while living ~1,000 years before Jesus Christ was born ?

By the way, Greek transliteration of Jesus is Iesous (Ἰησοῦς) as the Greek Alphabet does not have the letter J. Over several centuries, Latin morphed Iesus into Jesus (wtih I remaining a vowel sound while consonant sound became J). Yet when a person truly wants to know Jesus as Lord God, Jesus answers (does not require learning original language knowledge first).

@YourTruthGod All that is in all English translations, right? So why did you have to learn Greek?

Thankful for many friendly Logos Bible Software forum discussions (focus on using Faithlife apps and applications). Several threads include colorful visual filter examples: e.g. https://community.logos.com/forums/t/121104.aspx and https://community.logos.com/forums/t/136977.aspx

For me, learning Greek initially had a have to learn for seminary that morphed into want to learn after leaving seminary. Thankful for assignment to translate Jude from Greek into English (used a printed Analytical Greek Lexicon to look up many words, which helped me appreciate translation process). Also Thankful for one semester of classes that included "How to Read the Bible for All Its Worth" by Fee & Stuart.

Thankful for Pastor teaching first year Greek at a Bible College including John 1:1 insights so can explain why "... the Word was a god" is incorrect.

For me, learning Greek has given new meaning to phrase "That's Greek to Me" since can read parts of Greek while other parts are Greek to me.

Keep Smiling 😊

• Hello again

@YourTruthGod said: So glad we have a couple of things in agreement.

Me too! Who knows (of course God does!) we have even more in common.

@YourTruthGod said: I like what you said about the Calvinists' beliefs and their Greek.

Thank you! I have a few issues with Calvinism as believe it can lead or mislead some into accepting ‘cheap grace’ and ‘easy believing’. I am sure that those in ministry do not intend to do so but I think if they are not very careful some may come away with something they did not intend.

@YourTruthGod said: I am interested in whether or not you have already or will be coming out with your English translated Bible?

Thanks for asking.

(1) personally I think there are way too many commercial English translations already.

(2) I am more interested in ministers and Bible teachers reading/engaging the text in the original languages than in the making of new translations. Although, both Paul and Jesus made corrections to the LXX (a Greek translation of the Hebrew Bible) when they quoted from it. And I think if the minister knows a better reading he should humbly and carefully mention it as a possibility to his audience . However if there are elders and/or overseers in the congregation I think he should consult with them first as I believe there should be some checks and balances or at least some accountability that the Minister is held to.

(3) I have work as a consultant or resource man for translation projects involving sections the OT. Knowledge of Hebrew is rarer in Japan than it is in the states. And translations of the Bible in Japanese are much fewer too. However I would still rather see people reading and contemplating the original texts rather than making translations.

Could you tell me what your beliefs are

I would like a lot of others say that I simply trust the Bible and follow it but that doesn’t actually explain how I understand the Bible not my theology. I will take time to elaborate and answer this question soon.

@YourTruthGod asked: if you have a list of revelations about God's Word that are found out by your Greek knowledge?

actually I have a blog where I write/record something like that.

• Mitchell
    Mitchell Posts: 668
    edited September 2020

I will also share a little story once some Atheists challenged me to example why the Bible according to the translation that they were using allegedly called bats birds? When I asked them of the location if this alleged passage of scripture was they had a blank face for they did not know where it was, and did not understand that the Bible is not one book but rather is a collection of books. Natural such a passage would probably be located so called holiness code found in Leviticus 11:13-23 and 41 -47, right? So, I skimmed that section and I quickly came across Leviticus 11:13–19 in my BHS/Tanakh(Hebrew Bible) were rather term bird I found simple the term הָע֔וֹף which means any wing creature including insects!

Had I not known Hebrew I am not sure I would have been able to answer the question, and in hindsight this probably what my evangelical Atheist co-workers were hopping for, for their reason for asking me wasn't to learn but in an attempt to make me question my faith in God and doubt the legitimacy the Bible as inspired Scripture. They asked a lot more similar type of textual questions , but in general the problem was in their translation or in their reading of their translation. I could at least agree with them that their Bible translations were problematic and contained contradictions.

Grace and Peace