Prof. Elizabeth Groves on the Importance of Biblical Languages

Mitchell
Mitchell Posts: 668
edited February 2020 in Biblical Studies

Disclaimer My posting/linking of the following videos does not constitute an endorse of the 'all' the opinions contain therein on my part. These videos are hereby posted only for the sake of illustrating various opinions on the subject matter.

Prof. Elizabeth Groves on the Importance of Biblical Languages Pt. 1 (Westminster Video Library)

Prof. Elizabeth Groves on the Importance of Biblical Languages Pt. 2 (Westminster Video Library)

Post edited by Mitchell on

Comments

• C Mc
    C Mc Posts: 4,463

Thanks, Mitch, for sharing Prof. Elizabeth Groves of Westminster in the video clips on "The Importance of Biblical Languages" (Pt. 1 & 2). My summative points of what she said:

1. You can trust the Bible Translation in your native tongue.
    2. Many seminaries don't require the study of Greek and Hebrews.
    3. She thinks the study of Biblical language is essential.
    4. A translation is not an exact science:
      1. It requires decisions and judgment calls.
      2. Play on words
      3. One meaning in the text or in the footnotes (this option is not always available).
    5. Two meanings:
      1. Sometimes, one or both meanings:
      2. The closest translation that comes to my mind (CM's) that meets the point above is the Amplified Bible. For congregational or smooth reading, look elsewhere.
    6. Some words are very rich and can't adequately convey.
    7. Prof. Elizabeth Groves doesn't believe every Christian needs to be able to read Hebrew or Greek, but someone in the church does.
    8. Some things will not come across in translation. The use of the structure of the grammar to make points: "tongue-in-cheek" point about the person, e.g., the subject is at the end of the sentence. The subject, in English, can't be placed at the end. It may be possible in German, Greek, or Latin.

Prof. Elizabeth Groves of Westminster in part-2 of "the Importance of Biblical Languages," made the following points:

1. In poetry, much meaning is in words and languages. It's "tough" to bring over in translation.
    2. The full richness is hard to bring over. A preacher may (based on time), but not in a text.
    3. A little Gk or Heb. to be dangerous. No way to verify what a preacher said when the cites Hebrews, etc. Church leaders should know (Heb/Greek) to confirm.
    4. Relying upon others to translation, we should one day want to read for ourselves (so much more are there -- connotation and richness).
    5. We should learn Biblical languages: Believe it or not, 4/5 in Hebrew, and the other 1/5 is in Greek.

I agree with her. CM

• Mitchell
    Mitchell Posts: 668

@C_M_ posted: Thanks, Mitch, for sharing

Thank you CM for taken the time to watch both videos and provide your personal analysis of (or reaction to) the points made!