Too Rich! Dems are the ones actually engaged in Quid Quo Pro with Ukraine!

2»

Comments

• reformed
    reformed Posts: 3,176

The article speaks for itself Bill. He did not admit the withholding of military aid based on the investigation. Media is parsing his words, twisting them to fit their narrative. Again, nothing to see here.

• Bill_Coley
    Bill_Coley Posts: 2,675

@reformed posted:

The article speaks for itself Bill. He did not admit the withholding of military aid based on the investigation. Media is parsing his words, twisting them to fit their narrative. Again, nothing to see here.

Last year, President Trump infamously told us that "what (we're) seeing and what (we're) reading is not what's happening." In other words, if we hear President Trump say the ball is red, that does NOT mean he said the ball is red. In fact, if we hear President Trump say the ball is red, it likely means he did NOT say the ball is red. Such is the tortured language of loyal trumpsters today in the aftermath of Mick Mulvaney's nationally televised confession.

Just because we all heard Mulvaney say the Trump administration executes quid pro quos "all the time in foreign policy" in response to an ABC News reporter's reminder that he (Mulvaney) had just described a quid pro quo in the Ukraine matter, does NOT mean Mulvaney said the Trump administration executes quid pro quos "all the time in foreign policy." In fact, it means he did NOT say the Trump administration executes quid pro quos "all the time in foreign policy."

And just because in his press briefing none of us heard Mulvaney say anything close to "there was absolutely no quid pro quo" in the Ukrainian matter does NOT mean didn't say "there was absolutely no quid pro quo" in the Ukrainian matter. In fact, it means he DID say "there was absolutely no quid pro quo" in the Ukrainian matter.

What we saw and heard from Mick Mulvaney yesterday was not what not happened. That explains it.

p.s. And I was going to point out that your latest post failed to engage any of the questions I raised previously, but now I understand that just because you didn't engage any of the questions I raised previously doesn't mean you didn't engage any of the questions I raised previously. In fact, it means you DID engage ALL of the questions I raised previously.... What you didn't post is NOT what you didn't post. That explains it.

• reformed

Do you think the hidden billions of dollars sent in the secret to Iran from the Obama Admin was quid pro quo?

• Bill_Coley

@reformed posted:

Do you think the hidden billions of dollars sent in the secret to Iran from the Obama Admin was quid pro quo?

And you return to the theme with which you launched this thread: whataboutism. As was suggested by the utter failure of your OP in this thread, the key to successful whataboutism is comparable circumstances - the more comparable the better. You started this thread with a link to a townhall.com article about a letter to the Ukrainian government written by three U.S. senators. As I showed in my reply to you, that letter - its contents, intentions, authors, et al - raised NONE of the issues President Trump and his shadow State Department, headed by Secretary of State Rudy Giuliani, raise by their interactions with Ukraine. The two situations are wildly different, and that does not make for successful whataboutism.

Now you raise the "hidden billions of dollars sent in the secret to Iran from the Obama administration." Again, the comparable circumstances standard cripples your example:

• To my knowledge, the Obama administration made two distributions of money to the Iranians, neither of them "hidden in the secret." One was of $1.8 billion, a refund, with accrued interest, of the $400 million Iran had on account in the U.S. since the 1970's for weapons it purchased but never received (the revolution interrupted the transaction!) U.S. and Iranian negotiators agreed on the amount of interest that would be added to the original balance to account for the 40+ years it had sat out of Iranian reach. The other was of somewhere between $25 billion and $150 billion (independent experts suggest the total was in the $25-$50 billion range) money that belonged to Iran but that had been frozen by international sanctions of its nuclear program. When the JCPOA (the Iran nuclear deal) was signed in 2015, those sanctions ended and the money was freed up to return to Iranian control.
    • So in both cases that I'm aware of, the Obama administration returned to Iran money that duly belonged to Iran but that had been duly held up by international sanctions or by transactions never completed. As soon as the sanctions ended or negotiators resolved the details, the money was duly returned.
    • What was the money Trump used to pursue Ukrainian assistance against his political rivals? It belonged to the American people. Trump held back taxpayer funds Congress had duly appropriated to be aid to Ukraine.
    • So Obama gave Iran back money it was due after it complied with duly specific and legal requirements. Trump used for distinctly political purposes American taxpayer money that had been specifically authorized for one and only one use. Not comparable.
    • What about the quid pro quo? The JCPOA was a negotiated treaty. "You give here and we'll give there" is a completely appropriate offer in the negotiations that produce such agreements. The $1.8 billion figure was negotiated fairly and freely once the U.S. became convinced that an international court was going to rule against the US in the dispute about the money.Trump used taxpayer money in a secret and impeachable push for foreign assistance against a domestic political rival. Not comparable.

Bottom line: Obama gave Iran its money back and did not ask for Iranian help against domestic political rivals. Trump used American taxpayer money as leverage in his effort to secure assistance against domestic political rivals. NOT COMPARABLE.

And by the way: Your whataboutism reply did not change what Mick Mulvaney said. No attempt to evade or distract or change the subject will change what Mulvaney said or what we all know he meant.

• Bill_Coley

Today, the lead American diplomat to Ukraine, Bill Taylor, presented a riveting statement to the House impeachment committees. The upshot of that statement - available in full HERE - was that Taylor was told in no uncertain terms that BOTH a White House meeting for Ukrainian president AND the military assistance that was for a long period of time held up at President Trump's specific instruction were dependent on President Zelenskyy's making a public declaration of his government's intention to investigate (baseless and unfounded) allegations of Ukrainian involvement in our 2016 election and the energy company on whose board Joe Biden's son Hunter sat.

In his statement, Taylor details in precise detail and chronology the frequently conflicting interests of what he called the "regular" and "highly irregular" "channels of U.S. policy-making and implementation" related to Ukraine. It was the "highly irregular" channel, Taylor wrote, that pressed for and implemented a connection between Zelenskyy's actions and the White House meeting and foreign aid release.

Many observers are calling Taylor's statement a "smoking gun;" it might be. What is not debatable is that his testimony is consistent with what we know several other witnesses have already testified, testimony that NO witness has so far contradicted: There was an overt attempt to pressure the Ukrainian government to investigate the American president's domestic political rivals, using as leverage an invitation to a White House meeting and the financial aid the president personally ordered held up.

Was that a "quid pro quo"? From Taylor's statement to the committees, it sure sounds as if he and many others - including some Ukrainians - thought it was.

• C Mc
    C Mc Posts: 4,463

Trump is "done like a baked potato"! Why tarry thou, arise and impeach. Justice demands it. CM

• reformed

This is the same guy who was "concerned" in the text messages? Sorry, need something a little more solid than opinions.

• Bill_Coley
    edited October 2019

@reformed posted:

This is the same guy who was "concerned" in the text messages? Sorry, need something a little more solid than opinions.

Did you read Taylor's opening statement in full? Did you read any of the news reports about the documentation Taylor provided to the House Committees? If your answer to either or both of those questions is yes, then you know - but aren't admitting - that Taylor offered A LOT "more solid than opinions." If your answer to either or both questions is no, then you have homework. Start HERE with Taylor's statement (the original document, please, not some politically partisan website's take on the document).

• reformed

He offered no actual evidence. All he offered were what he believes he was told or what he perceived. No actual evidence. Just like his text messages.

• Bill_Coley

@reformed

He offered no actual evidence. All he offered were what he believes he was told or what he perceived. No actual evidence. Just like his text messages.

• So when a witness in a murder trial testifies that the defendant told him or her of his or her plans to murder the victim, that can't be used as evidence because it's only what the witness was told?
    • And when another witness produces text messages in which the defendant wrote of planning to kill the victim, those can't be used as evidence because they're only text messages?

You have a misguided definition of "evidence." What someone observes, hears, reads, is told, and/or receives in writing IS evidence.

Taylor testified as follows: (emphasis added)

"During this same phone call I had with Mr. Morrison, he went on to describe a conversation Ambassador Sondland had with Mr. Yermak at Warsaw. Ambassador Sondland told Mr. Yermak that the security assistance money would not come until President Zelenskyy committed to pursue the Burisma investigation. I was alarmed by what Mr. Morrison told me about the Sondland-Yermak conversation.

"This was the first time I had heard that the security assistance—not just the White House meeting—was conditioned on the investigations.

"Very concerned, on that same day I sent Ambassador Sondland a text message asking if “we [are] now saying that security assistance and [a] WH meeting are conditioned on investigations?” Ambassador Sondland responded asking me to call him, which I did. During that phone call, Ambassador Sondland told me that President Trump had told him that he wants President Zelenskyy to state publicly that Ukraine will investigate Burisma and alleged Ukrainian interference in the 2016 U.S. election.

"Ambassador Sondland also told me that he now recognized that he had made a mistake by earlier telling the Ukrainian officials to whom he spoke that a White House meeting with President Zelenskyy was dependent on a public announcement of investigations—in fact, Ambassador Sondland said, “everything” was dependent on such an announcement, including security assistance. He said that President Trump wanted President Zelenskyy “in a public box” by making a public statement about ordering such investigations."

THAT'S evidence, and it's evidence of a quid pro quo, an impeachable offense.

Elsewhere in his statement, the 50 year diplomat testified:

"According to Mr. Morrison, President Trump told Ambassador Sondland that he was not asking for a “quid pro quo.” But President Trump did insist that President Zelenskyy go to a microphone and say he is opening investigations of Biden and 2016 election interference, and that President Zelenskyy should want to do this himself."

AND THEN THIS...

"President Trump was adamant that President Zelenskyy, himself, had to “clear things up and do it in public.” President Trump said it was not a “quid pro quo.” Ambassador Sondland said that he had talked to President Zelenskyy and Mr. Yermak and told them that, although this was not a quid pro quo, if President Zelenskyy did not “clear things up” in public, we would be at a “stalemate.” I understood a “stalemate” to mean that Ukraine would not receive the much-needed military assistance. Ambassador Sondland said that this conversation concluded with President Zelenskyy agreeing to make a public statement in an interview with CNN."

Want to dispute Taylor's conclusion that "stalemate" meant the aid wouldn't flow if Zelenskyy didn't make the public statement on the investigations into Trump's domestic political rivals? Fine. If that's NOT what the word meant in that context, what DID it mean? And if that's not what the word meant to Zelenskyy in that context, why did he agree to make the public statement on CNN?

• reformed

One witness by itself, no. That cannot be used. What, in writing, did he receive that is such evidence? Nothing.

Then you have hearsay. Not evidence.

• Have a read of the following article ....it provides a bit food for thought concerning the Biden & Co adventures in Ukraine

• Some more on the Ukraine-Biden scandal:

This is a surprisingly good report from Robert Merry. http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/52461.htm

The only mistake Merry makes is his erroneous statement that Trump held up aid to Ukraine to pressure the Ukrainian president to investigate the Ukrainian firm that made $1,750,000 payments to the corrupt Biden and his corrupt son. The transcript of the telephone call between Trump and the Ukrainian president shows no Quid Pro Quo, and the Ukrainian president says there was none. The Quid Pro Quo was entirely on Biden’s part when he told the president of Ukraine to fire the prosecutor investigating the firm that was paying him and his son seven figures in protection money or forfeit $1 billion in US aid. You can watch it here:

https://www.wsj.com/video/opinion-joe-biden-forced-ukraine-to-fire-prosecutor-for-aid-money/C1C51BB8-3988-4070-869F-CAD3CA0E81D8.html

-----------------

Source: https://www.paulcraigroberts.org/2019/10/30/the-piece-of-presstitute-excrement-known-as-the-nytimes-has-had-to-admit-that-yes-there-is-a-deep-state-at-war-with-president-trump/

• Hmn ... what's all this farce about with accusing Trump of some phone call with a president of Ukraine?

What about the talk and direct influence / blackmailing executed by Biden sen. in order to stop investigation into doings of his son Hunter Biden? The ah so innocent and wonderful Joe Biden even admits openly in public what he did as vice president of the USA:

• Bill_Coley
    edited November 2019

@Wolfgang posted

Hmn ... what's all this farce about with accusing Trump of some phone call with a president of Ukraine?

What about the talk and direct influence / blackmailing executed by Biden sen. in order to stop investigation into doings of his son Hunter Biden? The ah so innocent and wonderful Joe Biden even admits openly in public what he did as vice president of the USA:

You linked to the Biden video and made essentially this same argument in THIS POST on October 10, Wolfgang.

In response to your post last month, I made several observations about the video which in two subsequent posts in the same thread became the following questions, none of which did you ever directly address. So, for the third time I ask you:

1. In the video, does VP Biden in fact say that in 2016 he was "alarmed" by Ukraine's backsliding when it came to corruption?
    2. Does he in fact call his trip to Ukraine part of his "assignment" from President Obama?
    3. Does he in fact report that he told Ukrainian officials to call President Obama if they didn't think he (Biden) had the authority to deny the loan guarantee?
    4. Does Biden in fact say he thought they replaced the ineffective prosecutor with someone who was "solid at the time"?
    5. Isn't it a fact that at the time of Biden's visit to Ukraine, the investigation into Burisma was dormant?
    6. Isn't it a fact that the U.S. was just one of MANY nations and international organizations in 2016 that called for the prosecutor's dismissal?

• In the video, does VP Biden in fact say that in 2016 he was "alarmed" by Ukraine's backsliding when it came to corruption?

Does he in fact call his trip to Ukraine part of his "assignment" from President Obama?

Does he in fact report that he told Ukrainian officials to call President Obama if they didn't think he (Biden) had the authority to deny the loan guarantee?

Does Biden in fact say he thought they replaced the ineffective prosecutor with someone who was "solid at the time"?

Isn't it a fact that at the time of Biden's visit to Ukraine, the investigation into Burisma was dormant?

Isn't it a fact that the U.S. was just one of MANY nations and international organizations in 2016 that called for the prosecutor's dismissal?

What he IN FACT MEANT, and what IN FACT was understood by the Ukraine recipient of his "words", he made IN FACT abundantly clear ...

• Bill_Coley
    edited November 2019

@Wolfgang posted:

What he IN FACT MEANT, and what IN FACT was understood by the Ukraine recipient of his "words", he made IN FACT abundantly clear ...

I agree. As I think my observations about the video made clear, what Biden made clear was that he was acting as the official representative of the United States government, that his threat to withhold the aid money to Ukraine had the personal authorization of the president of the United States, and that his threat was the American government's - not his personal - response to the failure of the Ukrainian government to combat corruption.

Yet again you chose not to address any of my questions directly, so rather than posing them to you a fourth time, I will take your repeated silence on the matter as acknowledgement of the truth of my assertions, one of which was that at the time of Biden's visit to Ukraine, the investigation into Burisma, on whose board Hunter Biden sat, was dormant, so there was no investigation for Biden to pressure the Ukrainians to shut down.

In short, case closed.

• I agree. As I think my observations about the video made clear, what Biden made clear was that he was acting as the official representative of the United States government, that his threat to withhold the aid money to Ukraine had the personal authorization of the president of the United States, and that his threat was the American government's - not his personal - response to the failure of the Ukrainian government to combat corruption.

😂😂 ... maybe there was no personal concern since he was then not part of the government ? Or was he part of the government with LOTS of personal interest (as if the folks in government were all far above any corruption ...😎

• Bill_Coley

@Wolfgang posted:

😂😂 ... maybe there was no personal concern since he was then not part of the government ? Or was he part of the government with LOTS of personal interest (as if the folks in government were all far above any corruption ...😎

It's not clear to me whether your questions about the timing of Biden's comments aired in the video to which you linked are facetious, so I'll remind you that the video was recorded in January 2018 at a meeting of the Council on Foreign Relations, which means that at the time of the video, Biden was NOT part of the government.

HOWEVER, the pressure on the Ukrainians which Biden describes in the video happened WHILE Mr Biden WAS in the government, as the sitting vice-president.

• Bill_Coley

On the topic of this thread, we should note that today Ambassador Gordon Sondland, U.S. ambassador to the European Union, filed an addendum to his previous testimony to the impeachment inquiry. In today's revision, Ambassador Sondland says others' testimony has refreshed his recollection, and that he now DOES remember having a conversation with a Ukranian official in which he told the official that U.S. aid to Ukraine would "likely" not be released until Ukraine publicly stated its intention to investigate the Crowdstrike conspiracy theory and Hunter Biden's role at Burisma.

That's "likely" what's called a quid pro quo.

Two weeks ago, President Trump heralded Sondlnd's testimony as evidence that there had not been a quid pro quo. After Sondland's amendment to his testimony today, it's considerably less "likely" Mr Trump will herald Mr Sondland's word.

• Hmn .... just found this interesting observation by P.C. Roberts in an article of Nov 8,, 2019 on his website:

All of Donald Trump’s problems as president are due to his intention to “normalize relations with Russia.” Such a normalization would dispense with the ENEMY that justifies the $1,000 billion dollar annual military/security budget and the political power that accompanies it. President Eisenhower told Americans in 1961 that the military/security complex was a threat to their control of government. Because of Cold War hysteria, Americans did not listen. Therefore, today they have lost control of their government.

Only Trump can recover it for us. Trump is rich. He doesn’t need money. He is narcissistic. He is not dependent on the whore media’s opinion. He stands up to the presstitutes who are a megaphone for the military/security complex.

The ruling Establishment, not the American people, has decided that Trump has to go. Why does anyone support the ruling Establishment? The ruling American establishment has always sacrificed the American people, truth, and justice to its narrow selfish interests. Why do American progressives want to help the ruling Establishment get rid of President Trump?

Good question at the end: Why do American progressives (like some folks here on CD) want to help the ruling establishment get rid of President Trump?? Why are they seemingly blind to how this establishment is taking away more and more of the freedoms and liberties that were anchored in the constitution?

• Bill_Coley
    edited November 2019

Paul Craig Roberts commented:

All of Donald Trump’s problems as president are due to his intention to “normalize relations with Russia.” 

Flat wrong and demonstrative of profound ignorance and/or intentional disregard of the fact that Donald Trump's current problems are the result of his obvious, inarguable, and in your face abuse of the powers of his office through his attempts to secure the Ukrainian government's investigation of his domestic political rivals. Perhaps in Russia such a move would not be a "problem," but in the United States it is (and rightly so).

@Wolfgang posted:

Good question at the end: Why do American progressives (like some folks here on CD) want to help the ruling establishment get rid of President Trump?? Why are they seemingly blind to how this establishment is taking away more and more of the freedoms and liberties that were anchored in the constitution?

I can't speak for "American progressives" writ large or even others among the "some folks here on CD" to whom you refer, but I can speak for myself: I want to "get rid of President Trump" through the ongoing impeachment process because he has abused the powers of his office, sought to extort assistance from a foreign nation, and on his own as well as in conspiracy with others acted to obstruct both the constitutionally-rooted investigatory powers of Congress and, in the investigation of Russian interference in our 2016 election, the process of justice.

More broadly, I want to "get rid of President Trump" - through the 2020 presidential election if removal from office is not the result of the current congressional process - because he has acted as a profoundly amoral, uninformed, mendacious, incurious, and narcissistic emotional invalid who by orders of magnitude is less prepared and qualified for the presidency than any of his predecessors.

Another "good question," Wolfgang, is why do some people (like some here on CD) want to help the ruling Trump administration stay in in power? Why are they seemingly blind to Mr Trump's serial lying, his obstruction of justice and abuses of power, and his unprecedented efforts to profit from his position as president?