Contradictions in the Biblical Account of Jesus' Birth?

Matthew's and Luke's accounts of Jesus' birth are different.

1. Were not the two, disciples of Jesus?
  2. Why does their account differ?
  3. How does one reconcile the two and affirms the Bible truthfulness?
  4. Which book was written first? Is one more authentic than the other?
  5. Was Joseph Jesus' father?

These and other points should be brought to the fore for a full comprehension of the birth of Jesus. CM

Comments

• reformed
    reformed Posts: 3,176

@C_M_ said:

2. Why does their account differ?
    3. How does one reconcile the two and affirms the Bible truthfulness?
    4. Which book was written first? Is one more authentic than the other?
    5. Was Joseph Jesus' father?

These and other points should be brought to the fore for a full comprehension of the birth of Jesus. CM

Can you show how the actually contradict? What is different about them that has you asking these questions?

• C Mc
    C Mc Posts: 4,463

@reformed said:

Can you show how the actually contradict? What is different about them that has you asking these questions?

Come on Reformed, read the texts for yourself. You don't want me to think for you. Do you? You don't see any contradictions? CM

• reformed

@C_M_ said:

@reformed said:

Come on Reformed, read the texts for yourself. You don't want me to think for you. Do you? You don't see any contradictions? CM

No, I don't see any contradictions in the text which is why I asked the question.

• C Mc
    C Mc Posts: 4,463
    edited November 2018

@reformed said:

@C_M_ said:

@reformed said:

No, I don't see any contradictions in the text which is why I asked the question.

Take some time, read again the books of Matthew and Luke, chapters, on the birth of Christ. CM

• reformed

@C_M_ said:

@reformed said:

@C_M_ said:

@reformed said:

Take some time, read again the books of Matthew and Luke, chapters, on the birth of Christ. CM

I've read them many times. No contradictions. Please point out what you think contradicts otherwise this thread is pointless.

• Bill_Coley
    Bill_Coley Posts: 2,675

@C_M_ said:

I agree the two accounts are different. I do not agree that the two account conflict.

Actually, Luke was not one of the twelve. Matthew was, but there is a strong case to be made that the author of Matthew's Gospel is not the tax collector Jesus called to follow him.

1. Why does their account differ?

They report different events, with different central players, that probably occurred months apart. Luke reports the visit of the shepherds to Jesus' birth location. Matthew reports the visit of the wise men to Jesus, he and his family at the time living in a house.

1. How does one reconcile the two and affirms the Bible truthfulness?

I don't see contradictions in the stories, CM. Please identify what you believe to be contradictions.

1. Which book was written first? Is one more authentic than the other?

There is great debate about the order of composition between Luke and Matthew. I tend to say they were written independently, around the same time, and depend on common sources (Mark's Gospel, plus The "Q" source)

1. Was Joseph Jesus' father?

Yes.

• @C_M_ said:

The two accounts are different as they report different events relating to the matter and thus emphasize different aspects of Messiah Jesus.

Writers of both gospels would most likely have been "disciples [followers]" of Jesus, not necessarily were they apostles (cp Luke who was not one of the twelve)

1. Why does their account differ?

I would think that their purpose is different in that they emphasize different aspects of Messiah Jesus' person.

1. How does one reconcile the two and affirms the Bible truthfulness?

There is nothing to reconcile in the first place nor is the Bible truthfulness even in question

1. Which book was written first? Is one more authentic than the other?

Since there is no direct mention or indication for the time of writing in either gospel, it would be impossible to tell with absolute certainty.

1. Was Joseph Jesus' father?

This is a "loaded question" in regards to the matter overall ...

There are some theological positions which regard Joseph to have been the biological father of Jesus, in other words, Jesus was the child of Joseph and Mary. These positions usually question the authenticity of part of the beginning chapters of Matthew, while others interpret the way in which "conceived by the Holy Ghost" is understood similar to what happened with Sarah and Abraham.
    If the record in Mt 1:18-25 is part of the original and accurate in its statements, the traditional and orthodox understanding is that Mary became pregnant before her and Joseph had come together in consummating the marriage in sexual intercourse and thus the conception leading to her pregnancy was effected by a miracle with God via His holy spirit power providing the necessary male seed to bring about a conception in Mary.