Guns were made to kill: 12 dead in California Bar shooting

Breaking: 12 dead in California Bar shooting
Twelve people killed after a gunman forced his way into the Borderline Bar & Grill and opened fire on Wednesday night, Sheriff Geoff Dean told reporters moments ago. The gunman is also dead. Up to 12 other people are injured.

Borderline Bar & Grill in Thousand Oaks is a western-themed establishment known to regularly host country, salsa and swing dancing nights.

According to its website, the venue was hosting a college country night between 9 p.m. and 2 a.m. on Wednesday night when the shooting occurred.

The bar is a few miles from California Lutheran University and is a popular spot for students. Some students from both California Lutheran University and nearby Pepperdine University are thought to have been present at the event on Wednesday night.

Madeleine Carr, news editor at student newspaper the Pepperdine Graphic, told CNN on the phone, that she was aware of freshman students who had planned outings.

"I was going to go with them tonight but decided not to because of homework but it is a popular place to go because it's local and we do have a lot of people from the south -- it's line dancing it attracts them," she said.

"We've been texting as much as we can -- it's hard. We are still trying to reach most of the girls but the people we know got out. A lot of them do live nearby in Thousand Oaks so a lot of them did get to a students house," she added.

When will it stop? How many more? Laws needed: No guns in bars! CM

Guns were made to kill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comments

• reformed
    reformed Posts: 3,176

And again you, rather than genuinely expressing sorrow/condolence insist on politicizing this immediately.

It is a tragic loss. Guns are not the problem. We do not need more laws.

• @C_M_ said:
    When will it stop? How many more? Laws needed: No guns in bars!

Laws are not being adhered to by lunatics and criminals not caring about them in the first place ... thus "laws needed" is a false hope that something would get better.

The problem is NOT with a gun ... but with the lunatic or criminal person

Yes ... and are at times the only means to save a person's life (for example when attacked by a bear).

It's NOT about the gun, but about the person handling or mishandling the gun

• C Mc
    C Mc Posts: 4,463
    edited November 2018

@Wolfgang said:

@C_M_ said:

Laws are not being adhered to by lunatics and criminals not caring about them in the first place

Come on, is it realistic to expect them to adhere to the laws of the land? This is why we have hospitals, meds, and prisons. Let's keep it real.

Yes ... and are at times the only means to save a person's life (for example when attacked by a bear).

Oh, please! America and the world are awash with guns. How many people need to be rescued from bears? Again, keep it real!

It's NOT about the gun..."

Yes, it is. What need is there for the average citizen for an AR-15? Please don't say hunting. It's a weapon of war!!!

"...but about the person handling or mishandling the gun."

Why wouldn't America pass "commonsense" gun laws? Proof they don't mean well.

Where is your sympathy for the dead? Recently, eleven, peace-loving Jews were slaughtered, in the temple on the Sabbath, where was your voice? Do you love guns over Jews? Why do you and others seem to be so in love with instruments of death? Guns were made to kill!!! You know this! The earth is not settled over their graves, you and others are defending the right to purchase, own, collect, and to use any gun, at will. Can we take a moment for the dead? CM

PS. Wolfgang, don't defend America with her misplaced love with guns over people.

• reformed

@C_M_ said:

@Wolfgang said:

@C_M_ said:

Laws are not being adhered to by lunatics and criminals not caring about them in the first place

Come on, is it realistic to expect them to adhere to the laws of the land? This is why we have hospitals, meds, and prisons. Let's keep it real.

Let's be real, those things are for AFTER they broke the law. New laws won't change this.

Oh, please! America and the world are awash with guns. How many people need to be rescued from bears? Again, keep it real!

People also need to hunt, defend themselves from burglaries, etc.

It's NOT about the gun..."

Yes, it is. What need is there for the average citizen for an AR-15? Please don't say hunting. It's a weapon of war!!!

Actually the AR15 is not a weapon of war. In fact, it is much LESS powerful than what is used in war. It is actually a very low powered weapon.

"...but about the person handling or mishandling the gun."

Why wouldn't America pass "commonsense" gun laws? Proof they don't mean well.

We already have the common sense gun laws in place. What you and other liberals propose are NOT common sense.

Where is your sympathy for the dead? Recently, eleven, peace-loving Jews were slaughtered, in the temple on the Sabbath, where was your voice? Do you love guns over Jews? Why do you and others seem to be so in love with instruments of death? Guns were made to kill!!! You know this! The earth is not settled over their graves, you and others are defending the right to purchase, own, collect, and to use any gun, at will. Can we take a moment for the dead? CM

PS. Wolfgang, don't defend America with her misplaced love with guns over people.

And again with the race-baiting. You are RACIST.

• C Mc

@reformed said:

I will wait for Wolfgang's response. Thanks.

What I will not leave for later is you saying...

@reformed said: You are RACIST.

I am aghast! I'm most disappointed to read this from you. However, you seem to love being the first to call people names. This is wrong! I have never in my life been called a "RACIST."

You can disagree with me on a number of points, but don't go there. Do you enjoy hurting people and calling them names? I couldn't be racist if I wanted too. Why would you say this, first of all? Secondly, how are you able to draw such a conclusion? I don't believe any one of the users of CD has ever been called such name. This is a serious charge and needs to be considered withdrawing, against me. You're alone, in this new-low of name calling.

Besides, what is a "racist", as you define it? However you do, I am saddened. CM

• reformed

@C_M_ said:

@reformed said:

I will wait for Wolfgang's response. Thanks.

What I will not leave for later is you saying...

@reformed said: You are RACIST.

I am aghast! I'm most disappointed to read this from you. However, you seem to love being the first to call people names. This is wrong! I have never in my life been called a "RACIST."

You just have been.

You can disagree with me on a number of points, but don't go there. Do you enjoy hurting people and calling them names? I couldn't be racist if I wanted too. Why would you say this, first of all? Secondly, how are you able to draw such a conclusion? I don't believe any one of the users of CD has ever been called such name. This is a serious charge and needs to be considered withdrawing, against me. You're alone, in this new-low of name calling.

You are race baiting, you can't deny it. You try to call other people racist, saying we hate the Jews without a SHRED of evidence. I do not withdraw anything. Look at what you are doing. Examine yourself. You need to be put in check. Put in your proper place.

• Bill_Coley
    Bill_Coley Posts: 2,675

@reformed said:
    And again you, rather than genuinely expressing sorrow/condolence insist on politicizing this immediately.

You're right, reformed. Expressions of genuine sorrow and condolence have reduced gun violence in this country to a point that we had to wait twelve days between double-digit losses of life in single incidents. Without such sorrow and condolence, I bet we wouldn't have had to wait more than two weeks.

• reformed

@Bill_Coley said:

@reformed said:

You're right, reformed. Expressions of genuine sorrow and condolence have reduced gun violence in this country to a point that we had to wait twelve days between double-digit losses of life in single incidents. Without such sorrow and condolence, I bet we wouldn't have had to wait more than two weeks.

And here we go....Let the liberal idiots come screaming.

• C Mc

@reformed said:

You are race baiting, you can't deny it. You try to call other people racist, saying we hate the Jews without a SHRED of evidence. I do not withdraw anything. Look at what you are doing. Examine yourself. You need to be put in check. Put in your proper place.

Reformed,
    How do I impress upon you that 12 people are dead and the investigation is still underway? New families are joining the Jews killed recently. I hope you will begin to see what I am talking about. So many people died, in such a short space of time, and from one common source of instruments, Guns! The guns did what they were designed to do, to kill. This is why laws must be in place to monitor and limit usages.

Calling me a nasty name and downgrading the power and the destruction of an AR-15, death-weapon. I find this to be wrong, insensitive, distasteful, and distracting from the deep loss and pain, so many are dealing with, as we speak.

I really expect more compassion, in light of what you accused me (unjustly) that autopsies have not been conducted on the body of the dead. Is it too much to ask you to exercise a little more restraint and find another time or at least, another place, to display your unkindness toward me? Do it in honor of the families until they can get over the initial shock and buried their dead.

God, comfort the broken hearts and make them strong in the broken places. CM

• reformed

@C_M_ said:

@reformed said:

Reformed,
    How do I impress upon you that 12 people are dead and the investigation is still underway? New families are joining the Jews killed recently. I hope you will begin to see what I am talking about. So many people died, in such a short space of time, and from one common source of instruments, Guns! The guns did what they were designed to do, to kill. This is why laws must be in place to monitor and limit usages.

And more people than that die every day from cars. Guess we need to take away cars. No, that is nonsense. The common denominator is a fallen man. Lawbreakers.

Calling me a nasty name and downgrading the power and the destruction of an AR-15, death-weapon. I find this to be wrong, insensitive, distasteful, and distracting from the deep loss and pain, so many are dealing with, as we speak.

I didn't downgrade power or destruction, I corrected you on the facts. That's not wrong or insensitive or distasteful. It is necessary. Facts matter.

I really expect more compassion, in light of what you accused me (unjustly) that autopsies have not been conducted on the body of the dead. Is it too much to ask you to exercise a little more restraint and find another time or at least, another place, to display your unkindness toward me? Do it in honor of the families until they can get over the initial shock and buried their dead.

Oh please. Those families are not reading this, this isn't about them. This is about the principle of the thing.

• C Mc

@C_M_ said:
    @reformed said:

Oh please. Those families are not reading this, this isn't about them. This is about the principle of the thing.

Reformed,
    It appears you're what one would call a "cold-hearted" person. The twelve people killed today in the Borderline Bar & Grill, Thousand Oaks, California, have friends, relatives, co-workers, and associates. So, when you say:

"...Those families are not reading this, this isn't about them..."

You never know. It's so painful to read these words from one who professes to be a follower of Christ. Wow! CM

PS. When you expressed some sensitivity (on timing) in discussing views on 911, I held my piece, out of respect for you. I have NOT expressed my 911 views to this today. I will, but not today. CM

• reformed

@C_M_ said:

@C_M_ said:
    @reformed said:

Reformed,
    It appears you're what one would call a "cold-hearted" person. The twelve people killed today in the Borderline Bar & Grill, Thousand Oaks, California, have friends, relatives, co-workers, and associates. So, when you say:

"...Those families are not reading this, this isn't about them..."

You never know. It's so painful to read these words from one who professes to be a follower of Christ. Wow! CM

PS. When you expressed some sensitivity (on timing) in discussing views on 911, I held my piece, out of respect for you. I have NOT expressed my 911 views to this today. I will, but not today. CM

I'm also not saying that our government went in and shot these people. That is completely different and you know it.

• C Mc

No, discussion. Pray for the grieving families. CM

• reformed

@C_M_ said:

That's fine we should and I do pray for them. But at the same time we must put forth TRUTH about these matters, not emotional/political garbage that is not based in reality.

• C Mc

@reformed said:

@C_M_ said:

That's fine we should and I do pray for them. But at the same time we must put forth TRUTH about these matters, not emotional/political garbage that is not based in reality.

Enough!

"Enough is Enough and too much is good for nothing"! CM

• reformed

@C_M_ said:

@reformed said:

@C_M_ said:

Enough!

"Enough is Enough and too much is good for nothing"! CM

I will stop when you start speaking truthfully on these matters.

• C Mc

_____________________________________________________ :'( CM

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2018

@C_M .... the culprit in the case is now reported to have been a former soldier of the Marine Corps and Afghanistan veteran who seemingly killed himself at the end of his attack. What might that tell you regarding the incident and what actually happened?

• reformed

@Wolfgang said:
    @C_M .... the culprit in the case is now reported to have been a former soldier of the Marine Corps and Afghanistan veteran who seemingly killed himself at the end of his attack. What might that tell you regarding the incident and what actually happened?

PTSD

• C Mc

In Memory Of the 12

California bar shooting leaves 13 dead, including sheriff's sergeant and the gunman.

https://cbsloc.al/2PNScTY

CM

• C Mc

Away with AR-15s, no place in the civilian population. CM

• reformed

@C_M_ said:

Why? Low powered weapon.

• C Mc

@reformed said:

@C_M_ said:

Why? Low powered weapon.

Are you mocking the death of these people? What wrong with you? CM

• reformed

@C_M_ said:

@reformed said:

@C_M_ said:

Why? Low powered weapon.

Nope. Not sure how you could interpret it that way. Oh way, I forgot you live in Alice's Wonderland.

• C Mc

@reformed said:

@C_M_ said:

Nope. Not sure how you could interpret it that way. Oh way, I forgot you live in Alice's Wonderland.

A gunman killed 12 people in Calif., and you are saying AR-15s, they should remain on the market, calling it "a Low powered weapon", and to say such, not far from the day of the people's death, acknowledgment or not, is a mockery. Speaking on behalf of the grieving families for a greater sense of sympathy and compassion toward them, you sought to belittle my efforts as living in "Alice's Wonderland". What a thing to say, to grieving families, where the flowers have not withered on the graves of the dead?

Reformed, how low? You are showing an unnecessary hardness to gun-deaths over the so-called gun rights. You need to watch this trend in your attitude and postings. CM

• reformed

@C_M_ said:

@reformed said:

@C_M_ said:

A gunman killed 12 people in Calif., and you are saying AR-15s, they should remain on the market, calling it "a Low powered weapon", and to say such, not far from the day of the people's death, acknowledgment or not, is a mockery. Speaking on behalf of the grieving families for a greater sense of sympathy and compassion toward them, you sought to belittle my efforts as living in "Alice's Wonderland". What a thing to say, to grieving families, where the flowers have not withered on the graves of the dead?

Sorry, you don't speak on their behalf.

Reformed, how low? You are showing an unnecessary hardness to gun-deaths over the so-called gun rights. You need to watch this trend in your attitude and postings. CM

Oh brother.