"The Fool” In The Book of Proverbs

The Book of Proverbs often mentions “the fool”, who is this person? I know some of you may be tempted to name a CD User, but please, restrain yourself and dig deep into this Bible Book. Thanks. CM

Tagged:

Comments

• GaoLu
    GaoLu Posts: 1,368

Grabbed this off the internet right quick.

Proverbs 18:2
    A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing his opinion.

Proverbs 29:11
    A fool gives full vent to his spirit, but a wise man quietly holds it back.

Proverbs 1:7
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge; fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Proverbs 18:6
    A fool's lips walk into a fight, and his mouth invites a beating.

Proverbs 29:9
    If a wise man has an argument with a fool, the fool only rages and laughs, and there is no quiet.

Proverbs 26:19
    Is the man who deceives his neighbor and says, “I am only joking!”

Matthew 5:22
    But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother will be liable to judgment; whoever insults his brother will be liable to the council; and whoever says, ‘You fool!’ will be liable to the hell of fire.

Proverbs 28:26
    Whoever trusts in his own mind is a fool, but he who walks in wisdom will be delivered.

Proverbs 18:7
    A fool's mouth is his ruin, and his lips are a snare to his soul.

Proverbs 26:3-12
    A whip for the horse, a bridle for the donkey, and a rod for the back of fools. Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest you be like him yourself. Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own eyes. Whoever sends a message by the hand of a fool cuts off his own feet and drinks violence. Like a lame man's legs, which hang useless, is a proverb in the mouth of fools. ...

• C Mc
    C Mc Posts: 4,463

Thanks, GaoLu, a good start! Quite a bit of fool. ;) CM

• GaoLu

So, that's it?

• C Mc

@GaoLu said:
    So, that's it?

No, do you have more? I'm looking, thinking, and reflecting. Do you have something specific in mind? CM

• Dave_L
    Dave_L Posts: 2,362

@C_M_ said:
    The Book of Proverbs often mentions “the fool”, who is this person? I know some of you may be tempted to name a CD User, but please, restrain yourself and dig deep into this Bible Book. Thanks. CM

According to Jesus the wise man built upon him. The fool did not. What's the difference? The wise man heard and did what Jesus (YHWH) said. The fool heard but did not do.

• C Mc

Ah, you seem to be saying:

• The Foolish person doesn't listen, but the wise do.
    • The Foolish person is disobedient, but the wise man obeys.
    • The Foolish person experiences loss, the wise man prospers.
    • The Foolish person doubts and rejects God, but the wise man loves and trusts God.

Am I hearing you say this? CM

• GaoLu

Now that was a good post. Cheers!

• C Mc

Unlike some posters of CD, I don't mix or confuse my political views with the purity of the Word. There is a firewall between the two. Meaning, I can chew gum (if I choose too) and walk at the same time. God's Word is not to be bantered about for political expediency. CM

• GaoLu
    edited October 2018

I don't mix or confuse my political views with the purity of the Word.

That is an amazing (but not surprising) thing to say in light of overwhelming evidence that surrounds us.

There is a firewall between the two. Meaning, I can chew gum (if I choose too) and walk at the same time. God's Word is not to be bantered about for political expediency. CM

Even more astonishing.

• reformed
    reformed Posts: 3,176

@C_M_ said:
    Unlike some posters of CD, I don't mix or confuse my political views with the purity of the Word. There is a firewall between the two. Meaning, I can chew gum (if I choose too) and walk at the same time. God's Word is not to be bantered about for political expediency. CM

That's a laugh.

• C Mc

We both can laugh in the truth. CM

• reformed

@C_M_ said:

Oh no, I was laughing at your lies that you put forth as truth.

• C Mc

@reformed said:

@C_M_ said:

Be careful. Prove it... Time, date, place, pattern, etc. Let's be more responsible. CM

• reformed

@C_M_ said:

@reformed said:

@C_M_ said:

Be careful. Prove it... Time, date, place, pattern, etc. Let's be more responsible. CM

Let's see:

Your views on immigration, abortion, Justice, etc... Pretty much pull up 90% of your posts and you see it.

• C Mc

@reformed said:

@C_M_ said:

@reformed said:

@C_M_ said:

Let's see:

Your views on immigration, abortion, Justice, etc... Pretty much pull up 90% of your posts and you see it.

This is not good enough. Too broad. I respectfully don't agree with you. Make your case or withdraw your accusations. Thanks. CM

• reformed

@C_M_ said:

@reformed said:

@C_M_ said:

@reformed said:

@C_M_ said:

Let's see:

This is not good enough. Too broad. I respectfully don't agree with you. Make your case or withdraw your accusations. Thanks. CM

It's not worth the time, but any objective reader knows it.

• C Mc

@reformed said:

If its "not worth the time", maybe it's not true or worth saying, I put forth lies as truth. No, time to prove it, don't find the time to say it. "Put up or..." CM

• reformed

@C_M_ said:

@reformed said:

If its "not worth the time", maybe it's not true or worth saying, I put forth lies as truth. No, time to prove it, don't find the time to say it. "Put up or..." CM

https://christiandiscourse.net/discussion/436/trump-administration-public-theft#latest
    https://christiandiscourse.net/discussion/392/back-to-school-and-the-encounter-with-guns-by-cm/p1
    https://christiandiscourse.net/discussion/353/heartless-america/p1

Just to show a few.

• C Mc

So what? This proves nothing. CM

• reformed

@C_M_ said:
    So what? This proves nothing. CM

Sure it does. It shows you mix your views of Scripture with your political leanings. Example, you repeatedly say that we are a "so-called" Christian if we also support gun rights. You are implying that we are not complying with Scripture, yet there is no Scripture that says we should be against gun rights. There is Scripture that says we have a right to self-defense. So yes, it does prove something. It proves you lied when you say you do not mix politics and the Word.

• C Mc

What scripture did I use? CM

• reformed

@C_M_ said:
    What scripture did I use? CM

You don't have to give references in order to mix the two.

• C Mc

Just take back your accusations. You can't support it. CM

• reformed

@C_M_ said:
    Just take back your accusations. You can't support it. CM

I did support it so there is no need to take them back. You can live in denial all you want.

• C Mc

Your saying so doesn't make it so. Let's move on. CM

• reformed

@C_M_ said:

Right, your posts and the evidence make it so.

• C Mc

@reformed said:

@C_M_ said:

"Thou hast said". CM

• reformed

@C_M_ said:

@reformed said:

@C_M_ said:

"Thou hast said". CM

As has the posts you have made. :open_mouth:

• C Mc

Back to the fool in Proverbs. Anything new? CM

• C Mc

What kind of text is Proverbs? To understand the nature or type of text, he or she is dealing with before, will help determine how to interpret the passage. What is the different type of texts in the Bible? CM