"spirit (holy or unclean or evil,etc.) ... what is that?

[Deleted User]
[Deleted User] Posts: 0
edited June 2021 in Bible Questions

A few examples of verse in which the term "spirit/spirits" is used.

Mk 14: 38 (KJV) Watch ye and pray, lest ye enter into temptation. The spirit truly is ready, but the flesh is weak

Lk 1:46-47 (KJV) And Mary said, My soul doth magnify the Lord, 47   And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour.

Lk 6:17-18 (KJV) And he came down with them, and stood in the plain, and the company of his disciples, and a great multitude of people out of all Judaea and Jerusalem, and from the sea coast of Tyre and Sidon, which came to hear him, and to be healed of their diseases; 18 And they that were vexed with unclean spirits: and they were healed.

John 4:24 (KJV) 24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth

1 Cor 4:21 (KJV) 21 What will ye? shall I come unto you with a rod, or in love, and in the spirit of meekness?

1 Pet 3:4 (KJV) 4 But let it be the hidden man of the heart, in that which is not corruptible, even the ornament of a meek and quiet spirit, which is in the sight of God of great price.

Do these verses speak of "spirit / spirits" as living spirit beings inside a human person? It seems that numerous Bible readers have numerous ideas about the meaning of the word "spirit", and they sort of adjust the meaning in accordance with denominational beliefs, etc.

Here's the entry for πνεῦμα in Dictionary of Biblical Languages with Semantic Domains: Greek (New Testament)

TDNT 6.332—1. LN 12.18 Holy Spirit (Mk 1:12); 2. LN 12.33 spirit, non material being (Jn 4:24; Ac 23:8); 3. LN 12.37 evil spirit (Mt 8:16); 4. LN 12.42 ghost (Lk 24:37, 39); 5. LN 26.9 inner being, non material faculty that can respond to God (Ac 17:16; Eph 5:9 v.r.); 6. LN 30.6 way of thinking, attitude, disposition (Gal 6:1); 7. LN 14.4 wind (Jn 3:8); 8. LN 23.186 breath (2Th 2:8), note: see LN index for a fuller treatment of the lexical units.

Has anyone here more recently conducted a study of the topic "spirit"?

Comments