AN ARGUMENT FOR PRIMA SCRIPTURA

Disclaimer: The views expressed in the following excerpt and on the linked blog post are those of Jacob Prahlow the author of the blog post. My posting of this post does not automatically equal an endorsement the views, thoughts, opinions, theology, denomination, or sect associated with the linked blog post or linked website. If, you have an issue with the following excerpt or linked post you are encouraged to contact the blog author yourself at: https://conciliarpost.com/ask/. I post the following only for the sake of presenting and recognize some of the differences in views amongst Christians.

When we learn to articulate the relationship of Scripture to other sources of authority, we will more readily realize that_** all our sources point toward the Source himself.**_ In answer to the question, “How do we access the revealed truths of the Triune God?”, we will continue to place Scripture at the top of the list, but always in subjugation to the one who has spoken through those very writings.

_This articulation does not intend to reject of the authority of Scripture, attempt to denigrate Scripture, or usurp the foundational character of Scripture for articulating and living the Christian life. Rather, it is a plea for a more theologically precise expression of the authority of Scripture. _

https://conciliarpost.com/theology-spirituality/scripture/argument-prima-scriptura/

Tagged:

Comments

• Dave_L
    Dave_L Posts: 2,362

I believe this is true. God placed teachers in the Church.

• C Mc
    C Mc Posts: 4,463

Mitchell,

"Prima scriptura"-- the superiority of the Bible as one source among other sources of authority. It's good if the "sources of authority" leads to the Bible and surrender to its inspiration and authority.

"Sola scriptura" -- As developed and followed by Luther and Calvin, for example, this principle represents an affirmation of the Bible’s authority, rather than a procedural rule for biblical exegesis with "Prima scriptura".

One theologian, believe for the Reformers themselves, the Bible was by no means the only object of theological reflection. Their writings contain references, appeals and allusions to a great variety of sources, from the writings of Augustine to the myths of pagan literature.”

For example, Bible writers use stories of their time: Paul using the belief of the "unknown" gods and the Rich man and Lazarus. Luke 16:23–24 saw Abraham … and said. A mythical description marking this as an imaginary story, built on popular folk tales and told to illustrate Jesus’ point about sharing one’s wealth (see 6:20, 24). Given the figurative nature of this parable, the details should not be misread to determine what happens to the saved and the lost at death. The Bible makes it clear that, at death, all rest in the grave (see Ps. 146:4; Eccl. 9:5; John 11:11, 14).

The Bible alone is the sole source and final authority for truth, whereas theological sources have often been used to discredit the plainest statements of Scripture, even the bodily resurrection of Christ, we must beware.

Upon a deeper look, interpretation should include all three:"sola scriptura", which includes "tota scriptura" and "Prima Scriptura." Yes, it goes beyond Luther. Let's keep in mind, Luther started the Reformation, it must continue and mature. See what a little more and a fresh reading will do? Keep reading and studying with understanding. CM

• Mitchell
    Mitchell Posts: 668
    edited February 2018

@C_M_ said:
    "Prima scriptura"-- the superiority of the Bible as one source among other sources of authority.

That's one way of thinking about it Prima Scriptura, but most I know that hold to Prima Scriptura view would say: The Scriptures constitute the only inspired source of authority for the Christian life and faith, none-the-less that there are important non-inspired sources and tools. For example, translations are not inspired sources of authority, but they are very important for the vast majority of Christians to hear the inspired message of God.

@C_M_ said:
    Upon a deeper look, interpretation should include all three:"sola scriptura", which includes "tota scriptura" and "Prima Scriptura."

Prima Scriptura also includes tota Scriptura (all Scripture by definition).

@C_M_ said:

it must continue and mature.

I agree

@C_M_ said:

See what a little more and a fresh reading will do? Keep reading and studying with understanding. CM

I am not sure what you mean by fresh reading? However, I agree that we should all keep studying, learning, and growing for none of us knows it all. And, also because the more one studies the more one knows there is to learn.

Now, judging from your comment perhaps there is a little misunderstanding. In general, I ask questions on this forum for the sake of starting discussions and getting Christians to think together and outside of the box not because I am looking for answers to personal dilemmas. I will most likely be starting threads with questions and topics you would not hear in a 'Sunday School class' or in a 'devotional Bible Study' (of course those types of activities are very important). I am very much interested in apologetics and for Christians being able to use the Scriptures to clearly state what they believe and why. I also for course am interested in discussing with other Christians in the rest of Christendom and seeing how they have struggled through issues and made sense of texts.

Post edited by Mitchell on