Forum Categories (ideas / suggestions)

Mitchell
Mitchell Posts: 668

I greatly enjoyed the original ChristianDiscourse forums, but I always felt that the category 'Bible Questions' was too broad and potentially misleading. The very title 'Bible Questions' naturally implies that it is a place like 'Quora' or the 'Bible Answerman' for seekers to come to ask/pose general questions about the Bible rather than a place for robust discussion/exchange about the Biblical text or pericope. In this regard I find some of the categories on Wolfgang Schneider's BibelCenter website to be highly instructive.

Here, are a few of my suggestions inspired by my experience on the forums and Wolfgang Schneider's website:
(1) Bible Questions (a Quora-like area to ask questions about the Bible)
(2) Theological Questions (a Quora-like area to ask questions about theology, ideology, doctrine, and practice).
(3) Biblical literary analysis and Textual Criticism (This area serves as a place to discuss exegetical matters, textual criticism, and related topics)
(4) Bible Versions and Translations (Exchange relating to topics concerning Bible editions and translations )
(5) Reading & Interpretation (Exchange relating to topics concerning reading and interpretation of the Bible )

Comments

• Dave_L
    Dave_L Posts: 2,362

I think the original site allowed for these categories under Apologetics and Bible Questions. Even Devotional Thoughts became a place to launch articles and clippings. I always liked the simplicity of the "few broad categories".

• dct112685
    dct112685 Posts: 1,114
    edited January 2018

Is there a way to edit a post? (nevermind I found it)

• Jan
    Jan Posts: 301

I'm a bit torn on the issue. On the one hand, narrower categories or subcategories would bundle related topics together, and make it easier to find whatever interests one. On the other hand, if there are a lot of categories, they would - if looked at individually - seem inactive.

On the original CD forum, about 2000 threads accumulated within 5 years. That's about one thread per day for the whole forum. That's one thread per day per category.

Assuming the number of new threads is gonna stay more or less constant, doubling the number of categories would mean there's gonna be about one thread per category per fortnight!

Thinking about it again as I'm writing, I'm now convinced it's a bad idea to create a large number of new categories. But the final decision is up to the wisdom of the crowd. Since this is not a theological question, we might be able to come up with a concensus.

• dct112685

@Jan said:
    I'm a bit torn on the issue. On the one hand, narrower categories or subcategories would bundle related topics together, and make it easier to find whatever interests one. On the other hand, if there are a lot of categories, they would - if looked at individually - seem inactive.

On the original CD forum, about 2000 threads accumulated within 5 years. That's about one thread per day for the whole forum. That's one thread per day per category.

Assuming the number of new threads is gonna stay more or less constant, doubling the number of categories would mean there's gonna be about one thread per category per fortnight!

Thinking about it again as I'm writing, I'm now convinced it's a bad idea to create a large number of new categories. But the final decision is up to the wisdom of the crowd. Since this is not a theological question, we might be able to come up with a concensus.

Tags would be a happy medium I think.

• dct112685

@Jan I do think a Prayer Requests category would be great. That was one thing I wish the original CD had.

• Jan

@davidtaylorjr said:
    Tags would be a happy medium I think.

Tags would be an excellent alternative to more granular categories. All that remains is to get them working properly.

@davidtaylorjr said:
    @Jan I do think a Prayer Requests category would be great. That was one thing I wish the original CD had.

This is something that should be kept separate indeed. I'll add it right away.

• Mitchell

@Jan said:

I hear what you saying and too many categories is probably not a good idea, however, I still think that an (in my opinion important) category like
    Biblical literary analysis and Textual Criticism deserves its own area on the forums.

• Jan
    edited January 2018

Could we try to find a better title for the new category? The other titles are short and broad; the new category should be the same. Does "Original Languages" cover it, or "Philology"?

The phrase "Biblical literary analysis and Textual Criticism" could then go into the category's description.

• dct112685

@Jan said:
    Could we try to find a better title for the new category? The other titles are short and broad; the new category should be the same. Does "Original Languages" cover it, or "Philology"?

The phrase "Biblical literary analysis and Textual Criticism" could then go into the category's description.

Textual Criticism is definitely different than original languages.

• Biblical Criticism? Would that be grouped with Apologetics?

• GaoLu
    GaoLu Posts: 1,368

@simsrw73 said:
    Biblical Criticism? Would that be grouped with Apologetics?

I think they are very different.

• dct112685

@simsrw73 said:
    Biblical Criticism? Would that be grouped with Apologetics?

No it's really its own field. Textual Criticism is the science of determining what was most likely the original of the text by comparing manuscripts and other factors.

• Biblical Criticism[1,2] though, does cover "Biblical literary analysis and Textual Criticism", right? It's the grouping with Apologetics that is incorrect?

• dct112685

@simsrw73 said:
    Biblical Criticism[1,2] though, does cover "Biblical literary analysis and Textual Criticism", right? It's the grouping with Apologetics that is incorrect?

I've never put it within apologetics, that doesn't mean it shouldn't be there though.

• Mitchell
    > @simsrw73 said:
    > Biblical Criticism[1,2] though, does cover "Biblical literary analysis and Textual Criticism", right? It's the grouping with Apologetics that is incorrect?

I think the above is a fairly accurate statement.
    I also think it might be helpful define some of the terms. (of course, these terms may be defined differently in other resources or by other individuals. If anyone disagrees with the following definition please feel free to share)

APOLOGETICS
    >The branch of theological science which sets out to vindicate “Christian theism against any form of non-theistic or non-Christian thought” (Cornelius Van Til, Christian Theistic Evidences, 1951 Class Syllabus, p. 1).
    Cairns, Alan. Dictionary of Theological Terms 2002 : 34. Print.

BIBLICAL CRITICISM
    >The method or methods by which meanings of biblical texts are sought through the application of techniques used in interpreting various types of literature. These methods include textual criticism, redaction criticism, form criticism, historical criticism, genre criticism, literary criticism and grammatical criticism.
    Grenz, Stanley, David Guretzki, and Cherith Fee Nordling. Pocket dictionary of theological terms 1999 : 20. Print.

PHILOLOGY
    >The study of language, especially its history and development
    https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/philology

TEXTUAL CRITICISM
    >Textual Criticism. The critical study of the text of an ancient writer whose work has come down in MS from the period before the invention of printing. Few scribes are able to copy a text exactly; it follows that the more often a text is copied and the greater the number of resulting MSS, the greater variation there is likely to be between them. The work of the textual critic is therefore to compare and evaluate the differences in the MSS (usually known as different ‘readings’) in order to reconstruct the history of the text through its various stages and ultimately to establish the original text as it left the hands of the author.
    Cross, F. L., and Elizabeth A. Livingstone, eds. The Oxford dictionary of the Christian Church 2005 : 1606. Print.

One, doing Textual criticism is not necessarily involved in Biblical Criticism/literary analysis, but Biblical Criticism is a board enough discipline to include textual criticism as one of its methodologies but the two are simply not synonymous in meaning. Textual criticism is a narrow field of study that can be applied to any manuscript, or printed work be that Biblical or not. In fact, I have used Textual criticism to study the Mishnah, Talmud, writings by the Church fathers, and even classical Japanese texts.
  • Jan

So to me it seems then that "Biblical Criticism" is a good candidate for a new category. I'll add it later tonight.

• Mitchell

Jan thank you so much for your consideration and for starting this website/forum. I think that "Biblical Criticism" or maybe "Biblical Studies" would be a good candidate for the title of the new category. I would be more than happy with either of the above titles.

• dct112685

@Mitchell said:
    Jan thank you so much for your consideration and for starting this website/forum. I think that "Biblical Criticism" or maybe "Biblical Studies" would be a good candidate for the title of the new category. I would be more than happy with either of the above titles.

Yes @Jan Biblical Studies would be a great fit.

• Biblical Questions vs Biblical Studies? Might be too confusing. I do like it better because it’s a bigger umbrella and this forum is too small for a lot of small divisions, but it’s too similar. Just as well to rename Biblical Questions to Biblical Studies. Which seems reasonable to me, until it grows unwieldy.

• dct112685

@simsrw73 said:
    Biblical Questions vs Biblical Studies? Might be too confusing. I do like it better because it’s a bigger umbrella and this forum is too small for a lot of small divisions, but it’s too similar. Just as well to rename Biblical Questions to Biblical Studies. Which seems reasonable to me, until it grows unwieldy.

I guess that's a hard one for me as I see Bible Questions more as like lay questions and Biblical Studies more academic.

I dunno, maybe I'm just a theology major snob lol.

• Mitchell

@simsrw73 said:
    Biblical Questions vs Biblical Studies? Might be too confusing.

I think you meant Biblical Criticism vs Biblical Studies.
    And, in that case, I agree that the academic field of Biblical Studies is very similar to the discipline of Biblical Criticism in goal and purpose.

However, the current forum category "Biblical Questions" seems to be unrelated either of the above-suggested genres judging by its current tagline/description.

• Dave_L
    Dave_L Posts: 2,362
    edited January 2018

Leaving Bible Questions in tact and adding "Bible Related" might be broad enough to cover all.

Asking Bible Questions is a good way to solicit participation. It is non confrontational and can alleviate the feeling of being force fed a person's beliefs. The opposite might be a category called Dogmatics.

• Jan

How about "Theology Questions"? That makes it obvious that the focus is more academic, and it's a clear distinction to Bible Questions.
    Another question: Is there any desire for a "Church History" category, or a broader "History" category that could also include ancient history and archeology?

• Mitchell

@davidtaylorjr said:
    ... I see Bible Questions more as like lay questions and Biblical Studies more academic...

I feel the same way about the category Bible Question! Which is why I think that there is a need for both a relaxed "Bible Question" category and a need for a more serious 'Biblical Studies category'.

@Jan said:
    How about "Theology Questions"? That makes it obvious that the focus is more academic, and it's a clear distinction to Bible Questions.

I view Biblical Studies as being distinct and separate from the study of Theology. However, I am sure a Theology Questions category would appeal to those who are interested in Theology and ideologies. On the other hand, adding 'questions' to any category label makes it feel like it's a 'Question and Answer' session area rather than a place for even exchange/discussion or sharing with peers which does not always have to start with a question.

• Jan

Very well. Biblical Studies it is then. I've used the tag line from you initial suggestion.

• Mitchell

Jan thank you so very much!