Jesus - The Messiah - God?
Jesus is known for many things and by many titles or names. Many to this day, refuses to acknowledge him as Messiah-Lord-God. Why is this?
- Is Jesus Messiah-King or Messiah-Savior?
- The Messiah-King or Messiah-Savior is God?
- Is Messiah just a human and or divine figure?
- The Messiah is this common-ground between Judaism and Christianity?
- What does the Bible have to say of the "Messiah" in the OT and NT?
To start, please note, in the OT, Daniel's references to Christ match Him too closely to have been merely the product of human speculation:
- On earth -- He was one "like a son of the gods" (Dan 3:25).
- In heaven -- "one like a son of man" (Dan 7:13).
- In Daniel. 8 -- we find Him as "the Prince of princes" (Dan 8:25).
- In chap. 9 -- as "the Anointed One, the ruler" (Dan 9:25).
Jesus was the God-man, the Messiah-Prince!
In addition, Dan 11:22, at the very center of a narrative spanning all of Dan 10-12, is a reference to Christ on the cross as the "prince of the covenant"— swept away, along with an overwhelming army of others, through a process of judicial murder, on falsified charges of disloyalty to Caesar. cf-- See John 18:28-40; 19:12-16.
Peter in his preaching emphasized that Jesus, whom the Jews crucified, was the Messiah. In early Christian tradition, Dan 9:24-27 was generally held to be a Messianic prophecy. The pronoun often translated "he" in Dan 9:27. "Since the Prince of the previous passage (vs. 26) is not a Roman prince . . . the 'He' in this verse refers to the Messiah Prince, or Jesus Christ historically". The antecedent of the pronoun "he," then, according to this argument, is the "Messiah, the Prince" of vs. 25..."
Gurney said, "It is highly probable that the 'he' of verse 27 refers back to the ‘anointed one, since He is the principal character in verse 26." Oh, it's Jesus! CM
- Jerome 's Commentary on Daniel. trans. Gleason L. Archer, Jr. (Grand Rapids. MI: Baker Book House, 1958). 95-110
- Otto Zockler. The Book o f the Prophet Daniel, trans. James Strong. A Commentary- on the Holy Scriptures, vol 13 (New York: Scribner. Armstrong & Co.. 1876). 205-17
- Montgomery, The Book o f Daniel. 394-401
- Robert M. Gurney, 1980). God in Control (Worthing: H. E. Walter. 1980) pg 114