The Talking Dead?

C_M_C_M_ Posts: 2,904

Some of you may be familiar with the television show, "The Walking Dead". However, we know the fallacy of its depiction. Notwithstanding, I would like to explore what many people, especially, some Christians, have said, their departed loved one visited or spoke to them. Some people (or certain ones) claim to be able to call up their dead loved ones to talk and they talked back. You may have encountered individuals claiming such an experience. Please share with me:

1. Is such possible?
  2. What is it called?
  3. Is there biblical support for such?
  4. Is it a practice for Christians to engage in, for any reason?
  5. Is it against biblical and Christian practices?
  6. As asked before, is the dead really dead?
  7. A departed loved one can speak to a living family member on his or her own or they must be called up?

These and perhaps, other questions can be asked on this topic. Have you had a personal experience? Have you encountered some with such? What did you share with them or will share in looking forward? CM

Comments

• Dave_LDave_L Posts: 2,286

@C_M_ said:
    Some of you may be familiar with the television show, "The Walking Dead". However, we know the fallacy of its depiction. Notwithstanding, I would like to explore what many people, especially, some Christians, have said, their departed loved one visited or spoke to them. Some people (or certain ones) claim to be able to call up their dead loved ones to talk and they talked back. You may have encountered individuals claiming such an experience. Please share with me:

1. Is such possible?
    2. What is it called?
    3. Is there biblical support for such?
    4. Is it a practice for Christians to engage in, for any reason?
    5. Is it against biblical and Christian practices?
    6. As asked before, is the dead really dead?
    7. A departed loved one can speak to a living family member on his or her own or they must be called up?

These and perhaps, other questions can be asked on this topic. Have you had a personal experience? Have you encountered some with such? What did you share with them or will share in looking forward? CM

““ ‘A man or woman who has in them a spirit of the dead or a familiar [family] spirit must be put to death. They must pelt them with stones; their blood guilt is on themselves.’ ”” (Leviticus 20:27)

The prohibition here concerns those who would seek special knowledge through the spirits of the dead, whether the dead in general or dead relatives in particular (i.e., familiar spirits; see J. E. Hartley, Leviticus [WBC], 321, and B. A. Levine, Leviticus [JPSTC], 134). Cf. Lev 20:6 below.

Biblical Studies Press. (2005). The NET Bible First Edition; Bible. English. NET Bible.; The NET Bible. Biblical Studies Press.

• C_M_C_M_ Posts: 2,904

@Dave_L said:

@C_M_ said: These and perhaps, other questions can be asked on this topic. Have you had a personal experience? Have you encountered some with such? What did you share with them or will share in looking forward? CM

““ ‘A man or woman who has in them a spirit of the dead or a familiar [family] spirit must be put to death. They must pelt them with stones; their blood guilt is on themselves.’ ”” (Leviticus 20:27)

The prohibition here concerns those who would seek special knowledge through the spirits of the dead, whether the dead in general or dead relatives in particular (i.e., familiar spirits; see J. E. Hartley, Leviticus [WBC], 321, and B. A. Levine, Leviticus [JPSTC], 134). Cf. Lev 20:6 below.

Dave, do you know if there a contemporary term for this practice, "a familiar spirit", today. Is this something befalls humanity or something one seeks after? CM

• Dave_LDave_L Posts: 2,286

@C_M_ said:

@Dave_L said:

@C_M_ said: These and perhaps, other questions can be asked on this topic. Have you had a personal experience? Have you encountered some with such? What did you share with them or will share in looking forward? CM

Dave, do you know if there a contemporary term for this practice, "a familiar spirit", today. Is this something befalls humanity or something one seeks after? CM

Hi CM.. I don't know of anything local but I think Ouija board and Tarot Card readers are forms of it. Also I believe false prophets misuse scripture as a fortune telling means when they take prophetic scripture from its context and apply it to the future. An example would be the "left behind" type of apocalyptic forecasting we see today.