What is the Unpardonable Sin?
After a read of Matt. 12:31-37, answer the following:
- What is the sin against the Holy Spirit?
- Why does it matter?
- Has anyone committed this sin in Jesus' time or today?
31 “Therefore I say to you, w every sin and blasphemy will be forgiven men, x but the blasphemy against the Spirit will not be forgiven men. 32 Anyone who y speaks a word against the Son of Man, z it will be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it will not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come.
33 “Either make the tree good and a its fruit good, or else make the tree bad and its fruit bad; for a tree is known by its fruit. 34 b Brood 6 of vipers! How can you, being evil, speak good things? c For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks. 35 A good man out of the good treasure 7of his heart brings forth good things, and an evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth evil things. 36 But I say to you that for every idle word men may speak, they will give account of it in the day of judgment. 37 For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.” (Mt 12:31–37 NKJV).
To answer the questions above, one must be clear on the following:
- What is a sin? (see my post -- "Sin in the Bible")
- What is blasphemy?
- Is the Spirit, the Holy Spirit?
- Who is the Holy Spirit? Is the Holy Spirit God?
- Who is "the Son of Man"? (potential for a separate thread)
- What is it to speak "a word against the Son of Man"?
Dig deep, let's find answers. CM