JUSTICE: Jim Acosta Loses Hard Press Pass

13»

Comments

• I admit, in my almost 60 years of being aware of USA politics, presidents, etc I have never seen such "hate politics" against a president and a large part of US citizens being seemingly turned into "haters" as what has been propagated in the last two years by the Democrats and their mainstream media presstitutes.
    Was just listening to a "good ole song" performed by Willie Nelson, and noticed the line

"Good morning, America, how are you?" ... by now, I have more of the impression of a "Good night, America, what happend?"

May the American people somehow be able to get through the night imposed on them by world hegemon dream rulers behind the scenes ... perhaps the swamp can be drained after all?

• reformed
    reformed Posts: 3,176

@Bill_Coley said:

@reformed said:

How did we get off topic from that clown Acosta?

"Clown" references. An atypical but functional distraction tactic, I think.

We got to my previous post - the one you evaded via the "clown" reference - because you posted this:

"There was also an abnormal number of Republican retirements. That balances out that this was really just an average gain for Democrats, not a wave."

It's not clear to me how your decision to insert such an "off-topic from that clown Acosta" comment into this thread contributed to your desire to stay on topic about "that clown Acosta."

Because I responded to an off-topic comment, which I shouldn't of here. Let's get back to the topic Bill.

• reformed

@C_M_ said:
    First Amendment Expert Floyd Abrams Says CNN ‘Should Sue’ White House Over Jim Acosta
    It would be a “really strong lawsuit,” according to the attorney. By Mary Papenfuss
    https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/first-amendment-floyd-abrams-cnn-lawsuit-white-house_us_5be8b8bbe4b0dbe871ac7625

First Amendment expert Floyd Abrams said Sunday that CNN “should sue” the White House for revoking the press credentials of correspondent Jim Acosta.

It would be a “really strong lawsuit,” the attorney told Brian Stelter on CNN’s “Reliable Sources.” Abrams referred to a case in which the White House revoked credentials in the 1970s. The U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit ruled then that the White House must provide notice in such a case, as well as an opportunity for a journalist to respond and a written opinion from the White House explaining its reasoning that a court can examine.

“We’ve had none of those things here,” Abrams explained.

“I can understand CNN being reluctant to sue because the president keeps saying CNN is the enemy of me, and CNN might have some reluctance to have a lawsuit titled CNN v. Donald Trump,” he said. “That said, yes, I think they should sue.”

Abrams is one of the foremost experts on the First Amendment and has argued several cases on free speech rights before the Supreme Court.

“This is going to happen again,” Abrams warned about the White House revoking press credentials. “So whether it’s CNN suing or the next company suing, someone is going to have to bring a lawsuit. And whoever does is going to win unless there’s some sort of reason.”

Former ABC White House reporter Sam Donaldson said Sunday that he has been asked to prepare an affidavit to support a case by CNN. He said the president’s decision to yank Acosta’s credentials is “not only wrong and unfair; it’s dangerous for the press as a whole.”

A CNN spokesperson told HuffPost that “no decisions have been made” on whether to file a lawsuit. “We have reached out to the White House and have gotten no response,” the spokesperson added.

Earlier, a CNN statement said that the Trump administration’s treatment of Acosta was “retaliation” for coverage of Donald Trump that the president does not like.

Acosta’s White House credentials were revoked last week after a furious Trump refused to answer a follow-up question from Acosta at a press conference, told the journalist “that’s enough” and called him a “terrible person.”

White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders justified the decision by saying Acosta had “put his hands on” an intern as she tried to grab for the microphone the journalist was holding, which Acosta denied. Video of the event appears to show Acosta accidentally grazing the intern’s arm as he gesticulates toward Trump. Acosta immediately apologized, saying, “Pardon me, ma’am.”

A video apparently doctored by a contributor to the right-wing conspiracy website Infowars was posted by Sanders on Twitter as “evidence” of her claim. The clip speeds up Acosta’s hand gesture, making it appear forceful. Top White House adviser Kellyanne Conway confirmed Sunday that the video was “sped up,” saying that such altering is “done all the time” on sports programs.

Acosta’s “pardon me” was not included in the White House version of the video.

At the press conference, Acosta first asked the president why he thought the caravan of migrants heading north through Mexico to the U.S. border was an “invasion.” Trump responded that it’s an invasion “because I consider it an invasion.”

Check out Abrams’ comments on the situation in the video above. His remarks begin at 2:20.
    CM

Ok, let's talk about the "pardon me" comment. Who cares if the White House left that out? It doesn't change anything about the interaction. Acosta acted inappropriately.

• C Mc
    C Mc Posts: 4,463

@reformed said:

Ok, let's talk about the "pardon me" comment. Who cares if the White House left that out? It doesn't change anything about the interaction. Acosta acted inappropriately.

Reformed,
    Commonsense tells me if you insist on bringing an accusation against the man, ever iota matters. Have you ever heard of context? Every video clip and every word of a transcript counts. Consider all of it, since you're so determined to get down into the weeds.

So, yes, the "pardon me" comment matters. Its show attitude and intent. In short, Acosta's assertiveness was toward the President. At the same time, he acknowledged the young woman with a "pardon me" comment. For the White House to put out the video clip (edited) showed evil intent. They can't tell the truth in speaking, it appalling why they can't show the truth when other cameras are running on the same scene. This White House appears to be grossly dishonest ("Fake" White House News). CM

• C Mc

@Wolfgang said:
    I admit, in my almost 60 years of being aware of USA politics, presidents, etc I have never seen such "hate politics" against a president and a large part of US citizens being seemingly turned into "haters" as what has been propagated in the last two years by the Democrats and their mainstream media presstitutes...

Wolfgang,
    No, it's not "hate". It's reflection and holding this duplicitous President accountable. What is so wrong or mean-spirited about this. One doesn't have to be an American to see the "craziness of thoughts, actions, and policies, of this legally installed, but illegally elected, President.

You seem to want people to be complicit to this President's lack of professionalism and competence. Everyone is not buying into Trump's "my way or the highway" foolishness. He can do this with his cabinet, but not with the American people. America is a "country of laws". Trump wants to turn it into a modified "Banana Republic". Trump is not interested in the "Rule of law" or "order", He's interested in himself, power and control.

Wolfgang, you don't have to kiss up to this country or President. What you perceived as "hate", Mr. Trump is being exposed and people are not going to sit around and take it. He is like a "wayward" teenager with too much money (personal/US Taxpayers') and power. Trump lacks self-control. The American laws restraints him or he would take the country over the cleft. Open your eyes and see the whole American picture. CM

• @C_M_ said:
    Open your eyes and see the whole American picture. CM

It seems that I have my eyes more open and see more of the whole American picture ... and see more than you do (since you give the impression you only see on one side)

• C Mc

No so.

Wolfgang,

@C_M_ said: No, it's not "hate". It's reflection and holding this duplicitous President accountable. What is so wrong or mean-spirited about this. One doesn't have to be an American to see the "craziness of thoughts, actions, and policies, of this legally installed, but illegally elected, President.

You seem to want people to be complicit to this President's lack of professionalism and competence. Everyone is not buying into Trump's "my way or the highway" foolishness. He can do this with his cabinet, but not with the American people. America is a "country of laws". Trump wants to turn it into a modified "Banana Republic". Trump is not interested in the "Rule of law" or "order", He's interested in himself, power and control.

You find no truth here? Yes or no? CM

• reformed

@C_M_ said:

@reformed said:

Reformed,
    Commonsense tells me if you insist on bringing an accusation against the man, ever iota matters. Have you ever heard of context? Every video clip and every word of a transcript counts. Consider all of it, since you're so determined to get down into the weeds.

So, yes, the "pardon me" comment matters. Its show attitude and intent. In short, Acosta's assertiveness was toward the President. At the same time, he acknowledged the young woman with a "pardon me" comment. For the White House to put out the video clip (edited) showed evil intent. They can't tell the truth in speaking, it appalling why they can't show the truth when other cameras are running on the same scene. This White House appears to be grossly dishonest ("Fake" White House News). CM

Doesn't change the fact he was rude to her and the President and jerked the mic away from her as well as hit her arm.

• C Mc

@reformed said:

Doesn't change the fact he was rude to her and the President and jerked the mic away from her as well as hit her arm.

So was your President. He was rude to put down a reporter on national TV. Shame on him. CM

• reformed

@C_M_ said:

@reformed said:

So was your President. He was rude to put down a reporter on national TV. Shame on him. CM

Actually, he has shown great patience with Acosta considering... He answered Acosta's question, Acosta didn't like it. Acosta went out of line. End of story. But I forgot I was talking to a parrot.

• C Mc

As I said before, they create a hostile environment, used the young woman, and shamefully took Acosta's Press Pass. CM

CNN’s Jim Acosta Returns to the White House After Judge’s Ruling

Nov. 16, 2018
    Jim Acosta of CNN during a contentious news conference at the White House on Nov. 7. The Trump administration revoked his press credentials a short time later. Doug Mills/The New York Times...

Presiding over one of the first major tests of press rights under President Trump, Judge Timothy J. Kelly of United States District Court in Washington ruled that the White House had behaved inappropriately in stripping Mr. Acosta of his press badge shortly after a testy exchange at a news conference last week...

The administration’s process for barring the correspondent “is still so shrouded in mystery that the government could not tell me” who made the decision, Judge Kelly said from the bench. Taking away the pass that gave Mr. Acosta access to the White House amounted to a violation of his right to a fair and transparent process, the judge ruled...

In arguing for the return of Mr. Acosta’s credentials, CNN cited a case from the 1970s that required the White House to demonstrate a clear process, and right of appeal, before revoking a reporter’s credentials.

In addition to saying the White House had failed to explain its process in revoking the press badge, Judge Kelly criticized the administration for its false claim that Mr. Acosta had placed his hands on a White House intern during the news conference. The judge called it “likely untrue and at least partly based on evidence of questionable accuracy...”

This ruling is not saying that what Acosta did was the right thing or the wrong thing,” said Nancy Gertner, a former federal judge and a Harvard Law School professor. “The judge ruled that the president can’t revoke his credentials without due process: a statement of what he did wrong, an opportunity to respond, a final decision. The ruling leaves those issues and his First Amendment challenge for another day...”

I have no quarrel with that,” the judge said, adding that the president “might not call on Mr. Acosta ever again.”

The case, CNN v. Donald J. Trump, has come to symbolize the dysfunctional dynamic between the White House press corps and a president who denigrates its work as “fake news.” https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/16/business/media/cnn-acosta-trump.html

Right again. Trump needs to behave and obey the law. CM

• @C_M_ said:
    As I said before, they create a hostile environment, used the young woman, and shamefully took Acosta's Press Pass. CM

Oh dear ... what has the USA become?
    Won't be long, folks, and you also won't have the right to determine whom you will let inside your home or if you can throw someone out because they did not behave according to your regulations .... you may have to go to court, if you did not follow a due process, hearing, reasons provided in writing, etc.

• C Mc

@Wolfgang said:

@C_M_ said:

Won't be long, folks, and you also won't have the right to determine whom you will let inside your home or if you can throw someone out because they did not behave according to your regulations .... you may have to go to court, if you did not follow a due process, hearing, reasons provided in writing, etc.

It's my understanding that the "White House" is the "People's House". If there is a law for the right to guns; surely, there must be one for the US Press. CM

• C Mc

@reformed said:

@C_M_ said:

@reformed said:

Actually, he has shown great patience with Acosta considering... He answered Acosta's question, Acosta didn't like it. Acosta went out of line. End of story. But I forgot I was talking to a parrot.

Reformed,

FROM THE JUDGE'S LIPS...

• __"In arguing for the return of Mr. Acosta’s credentials, CNN cited a case from the 1970s that required the White House to demonstrate a clear process, and right of appeal, before revoking a reporter’s credentials_".

• "In addition to saying the White House had failed to explain its process in revoking the press badge, Judge Kelly criticized the administration for its false claim that Mr. Acosta had placed his hands on a White House intern during the news conference. The judge called it “likely untrue and at least partly based on evidence of questionable accuracy...”_

An apology would be nice from a name caller to a none "parrot". Thinking out loud. CM

• @C_M_ said:

FROM THE JUDGE'S LIPS...

• __"In arguing for the return of Mr. Acosta’s credentials, CNN cited a case from the 1970s that required the White House to demonstrate a clear process, and right of appeal, before revoking a reporter’s credentials_".

See above ... in my house, you know the rules (which in the Acosta case, Acosta and CNN would know from the accreditation process), are given a warning if you don't comply (Acosta was asked to hand over the mic, but continued on his CNN typical accusatory "war on the president path" and refused to comply), and if you don't comply, you are shown the door (in Acosta case, the accreditation was revoked).
    The matter is so simple ... perhaps too simple for court officers, in particular judges ??

• "In addition to saying the White House had failed to explain its process in revoking the press badge, Judge Kelly criticized the administration for its false claim that Mr. Acosta had placed his hands on a White House intern during the news conference. The judge called it “likely untrue and at least partly based on evidence of questionable accuracy...”_

Does this judge perhaps have some other motive attached to his personal situation??

An apology would be nice from a name caller to a none "parrot". Thinking out loud. CM

Indeed, Acosta should have apologized after being asked once and refusing to comply ...

• C Mc

@Wolfgang said:

@C_M_ said:

FROM THE JUDGE'S LIPS...

See above ... in my house, you know the rules (which in the Acosta case, Acosta and CNN would know from the accreditation process), are given a warning if you don't comply (Acosta was asked to hand over the mic, but continued on his CNN typical accusatory "war on the president path" and refused to comply), and if you don't comply, you are shown the door (in Acosta case, the accreditation was revoked).
    The matter is so simple ... perhaps too simple for court officers, in particular judges ??

No, The judge called the US Government out: _“likely untrue and at least partly based on evidence of questionable accuracy...”__ Some American still do their jobs. Trump can't have his childish way all the time, even a tantrum on TV.

Does this judge perhaps have some other motive attached to his personal situation??

Absolutely not. American justice is blind!

@C_M_ said: An apology would be nice from a name caller to a none "parrot". Thinking out loud. CM
    @Wolfgang said: Indeed, Acosta should have apologized after being asked once and refusing to comply ...

No, this was for Reformed to answer me. CM

CORRECTION: An apology would be nice from a name caller to a non-"parrot". Thinking out loud. CM

• reformed

@C_M_ said:

@Wolfgang said:

@C_M_ said:

It's my understanding that the "White House" is the "People's House". If there is a law for the right to guns; surely, there must be one for the US Press. CM

There is, they have freedom of speech. They do not have the right to be in the WH around the President 24/7.

• C Mc

Acosta has his pass back. The lie told didn't hold up in court. CM

• reformed

@C_M_ said:

What lie?

• C Mc

@reformed said:

@C_M_ said:

What lie?

Read above. CM

• reformed

@C_M_ said:

@reformed said:

@C_M_ said:

What lie?

Read above. CM

Exactly, what lie? Was he in contact with the girl? Yes.

Was he denied due process? Not in the legal sense of the word. This ruling was absurd.

• C Mc

@reformed said:

@C_M_ said:

@reformed said:

@C_M_ said:

What lie?

Read above. CM

Was he denied due process? Not in the legal sense of the word. This ruling was absurd.

Get the court records. Take up your concerns with the judge. Accept the ruling. CM

• reformed

@C_M_ said:

@reformed said:

@C_M_ said:

@reformed said:

@C_M_ said:

What lie?

Read above. CM

Get the court records. Take up your concerns with the judge. Accept the ruling. CM

Oh brother.

• C Mc

@reformed said:

Oh brother.

Can't you accept anything? Don't be so Trumpy. CM

• reformed

@C_M_ said:

@reformed said:

Oh brother.

Can't you accept anything? Don't be so Trumpy. CM

I could say the same to you but instead of Trumpy, liberal lunatic.