What is Christian Debate?

Jan
Jan Posts: 301
edited August 2018 in General

What is Christian Debate?

This is your go-to place for respectful online theological discussion. Feel free to pose Bible questions, spark theological discourse, and connect with people all over the world who are passionate about the Word.

Christian Debate is a hub for biblical learning, growth, and community. Please keep your questions and comments respectful and polite. Treat others in this forum like you would treat your neighbor at church—don’t be afraid to voice your opinion, but do it with love and kindness.

This Is a Civilized Place for Public Discussion

Please treat others with the same love, courtesy, respect, and kindness that you would if you were having a conversation in a church. Use these guidelines to keep this a clean, well-lighted place for civilized public discussion.

Improve the Discussion

Leave every thread better than you found it. With each new post, work to improve the quality of the discussion.

We care deeply about the topics discussed here. Be respectful about them and the people discussing them, even if you disagree.

Browse for a few minutes before you post a new thread to help us keep things tidy. You may find that someone has already started a thread about the same subject to which you can contribute. Use this forum’s tools to limit clutter. Rather than signing your posts, fill out your signature information and post an avatar.

Be Agreeable, Even When You Disagree

You may wish to voice a contradictory opinion. That’s fine, but remember to criticize ideas, not people. Please avoid:

• Name-calling
  • Ad hominem attacks
  • Reacting to a post’s tone rather than responding to its content

If You See a Problem, Flag It

It’s everyone’s job to make this forum a healthy, happy place for discourse. When you see bad behavior, don’t reply. A reply consumes energy and draws more attention to the offending post. Just flag it. When enough flags accrue, action will be taken, either automatically or by a moderator.

Post edited by Jan on

Comments

• C Mc
    C Mc Posts: 4,463

"The single most important check on our beliefs and conduct is the presence
    of others who see things differently."

• C Mc

Please, tell me, is there any way to make side by side columns or boxes for comparison in the space provided to leave a comment? If so, let me know. CM

• Jan

I think it's possible.
    https://help.github.com/articles/organizing-information-with-tables/

Test:

First Header Second Header
    Content Cell Content Cell
    Content Cell Content Cell
  • C Mc

Jan,

Is it just my computer that's plagued with ads, when I sign in, or it's a part of new CD and "Vanilla Keystone Theme 2019"? It's most annoying. Do I need to get some kind of ad-blocker? Do you have an agreement with people to advertise on CD? Is it something I have to learn to tolerate? I remain. CM

• Jan

I do allow Google to place no more than three ads per page. That's for covering the ongoing cost for the domain and the server. Most of the time, in my experience, Google doesn't even place all three ads, as they don't like to sell ads space on pages with religious or political discussions (and what else are we really doing here...)

I've been trying to place the ads as unobtusive as possible.

This is how it is supposed to be looking if all three ads are showing:

Ad 1 shows on top of the topic overview, as well as in the middle of discussions, once there are three or more posts in a discussion. I can see how this one might be mildly annoying, however, sadly, without an ad in the main boy of the page it's no longer possible to cover the cost of running a free-to-use web site these days.

Ad 2 shows towards the bottom of the side bar, and as 3 in the page footer at the very bottom. I assume these two should be fine, as they don't interrupt the reading flow at all.

If you're seeing more than these three ads, please attach a screen shot, so I can investigate. In that case it's possible that your computer is infected. Then you'll need a virus scanner, and not an ad blocker.

Jan

• C Mc
    edited October 2019

Jan,

What is this?

I know CD may have to put up with advertising, but do we have to put up with this?

Trump 2020 Hat???

Do you have an option of what items will appear? Has CD gotten in bed with the Republican Party? Will you require google equal time with a product from the Democratic Party? Are CD Users pawns of the Republican Party? If so, please let us know. I am concern. I remain. CM

• Jan

I'm pretty sure that's against Google's advertising policies. Religious and political targeting is clearly banned.

If you keep seeing this particular ad, you can report it to Google, and they will take care of it. Usually there's a dropdown button in the top right corner where you can report an inappropriate ad, find out why Google delivered it to you, and even choose to never see that particular ad again.

(This works on every website, not only on CD.)

• C Mc

Jan,

Please check the search feature. The return is too vague or ineffective. Using quotation marks works for a better results? Please tell me, are quotation marks necessary to get any results? The search feature needs some attention. Anyone else having this problem? CM

• Jan

I just noticed, I missed some patches for the forum software. I'll install them some time next week. Maybe the search issues will be fixed by them.

• C Mc

Thanks, Jan, for your attention to my (our) concerns. Blessings! CM

• Christian Debate is a discussion of Jesus and the Bible. Bible is clear our motivation should always be the love of Christ, serving and helping others