This Is What Negativity Does To Your Immune System, And It's Not Pretty

Interesting find. CM

• Dave_L
    Dave_L Posts: 2,362

@C_M_ said:

@Dave_L said:

This Is What Negativity Does To Your Immune System, And It's Not Pretty

Interesting find. CM

I live by this principle and it makes a huge difference for the better.

“Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.” (Philippians 4:8)

And I live by this too:

“Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;” (2 Corinthians 10:5)

This really works and blows away depression. I've done it for years and after awhile it becomes habit.

You change the channel in your thinking just as you change the channel when offensive media shows up.

• C Mc
    C Mc Posts: 4,463

Dave,
    To change the mind and the body, consider the effects of laughter on the body. Laughter is good for our bodies in many ways. Our lungs are pushed up and down, and we move a lot of air. Our heart rate increases and then slows to a rate even slower than before the laughter started. This is a training effect, similar to what happens in hard physical exercise. Our blood pressure goes up then down, which is good for our hearts.

Strong laughter alternatively tenses and relaxes our muscles, which reduces tension, diminishes pain, and eventually causes sphincter relaxation, signaling an urgent need to urinate. As we laugh, our diaphragm convulses up and down, increasing oxygen uptake and massaging internal organs, resulting in increased peristalsis, which improves digestion.

Researchers have found that as little as one minute of forced laughter can have a positive effect on mood. CM

Check out these sources:

-- Berk, R.A. (2000). Does humor in course tests reduce anxiety and improve performance? College Teaching, 45,151-158.
    -- Foley, E., Matheis, R., & Schaefer, C. (2002). Effect of forced laughter on mood.
    Psychology Report, 1, 184.

• Dave_L
    Dave_L Posts: 2,362

@C_M_ said:

Dave,
    To change the mind and the body, consider the effects of laughter on the body. Laughter is good for our bodies in many ways. Our lungs are pushed up and down, and we move a lot of air. Our heart rate increases and then slows to a rate even slower than before the laughter started. This is a training effect, similar to what happens in hard physical exercise. Our blood pressure goes up then down, which is good for our hearts.

Strong laughter alternatively tenses and relaxes our muscles, which reduces tension, diminishes pain, and eventually causes sphincter relaxation, signaling an urgent need to urinate. As we laugh, our diaphragm convulses up and down, increasing oxygen uptake and massaging internal organs, resulting in increased peristalsis, which improves digestion.

Researchers have found that as little as one minute of forced laughter can have a positive effect on mood. CM

Check out these sources:

-- Berk, R.A. (2000). Does humor in course tests reduce anxiety and improve performance? College Teaching, 45,151-158.
    -- Foley, E., Matheis, R., & Schaefer, C. (2002). Effect of forced laughter on mood.
    Psychology Report, 1, 184.

Thanks CM! Very interesting. I literally about died laughing once, laughing so hard I could not breath. So I suppose there's a balance.