Praying For The Dead: Possible, Truth, or Heresy?

2»

Comments

• C Mc
    C Mc Posts: 4,463

@reformed said: "The Roman Catholic Church is not a Christian church".

Reformed, in your opinion, would you put the RCC in the same boat or category with Islam, Hinduism, and Buddhism? If not, why not? Perhaps, you want to re-think your statement above. CM

https://www.ligonier.org/blog/primer-roman-catholicism/

I assumed you have read what you sent me. I started reading. Until completion, what's the answer to my question in your opinion? CM

@C_M_ said: Reformed, in your opinion, would you put the RCC in the same boat or category with Islam, Hinduism, and Buddhism? If not, why not? Perhaps, you want to re-think your statement above.

I remain. CM

• reformed
    reformed Posts: 3,176

@C_M_ said:

@reformed said: "The Roman Catholic Church is not a Christian church".

Reformed, in your opinion, would you put the RCC in the same boat or category with Islam, Hinduism, and Buddhism? If not, why not? Perhaps, you want to re-think your statement above. CM

https://www.ligonier.org/blog/primer-roman-catholicism/

I assumed you have read what you sent me. I started reading. Until completion, what's the answer to my question in your opinion? CM

@C_M_ said: Reformed, in your opinion, would you put the RCC in the same boat or category with Islam, Hinduism, and Buddhism? If not, why not? Perhaps, you want to re-think your statement above.

I remain. CM

I would put them in the boat with Mormons.

• C Mc
    C Mc Posts: 4,463

Is this for real or "Fake News"

Please read the full article...

This year, the Vatican has decided once again to grant a plenary indulgence to Catholics who visit a cemetery to pray for the dead on any day in the month of November.

In a typical year, the Church only grants this plenary indulgence for the souls in Purgatory to those who pray in a cemetery on Nov. 1-8, the week of the Solemnity of All Souls’ Day. 

But last year the Apostolic Penitentiary issued a decree that extended the availability of certain plenary indulgences amid concerns about avoiding large gatherings of people in churches or cemeteries due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

The Vatican announced on Oct. 28 that this same decree would also apply in November 2021.

Reading all the posts above in this thread, there are apparent contradictions between the RCC and biblical teachings.

1. How could any religious body practice this still call itself biblical and Christian?
    2. Is this practice cultic?
    3. Do you see a similarity between what RCC is doing and Halloween? If so, what? If not, why not?
    4. What are indulgences? How are today compared to indulgences in the past?

We must continue to study. Please read the thread on "Purgatory" [https://www.christiandiscourse.net/discussion/comment/18796/#Comment_18796]. CM

• Truth
    Truth Posts: 521
    1. because they use the Bible and want to follow Christ
    2. some practices are cultic. Like we see in this forum
    3. No.
    4. The point is grace and forgiveness.