Was Nebuchadnezzar saved?

What do you think, was he saved or not?

In your answer, you might comment on whether other Old Testament period non-law-keeping Gentiles were saved.

Comments

• Seems to me that salvation was never a matter of law-keeping but a matter of believing God (cp. Abraham, who lived long before the OT Law was given and whose believing / trust / faith in God was accounted to him for righteousness). This truth applies to Gentiles and Israel alike.
    Whether Nebuchadnezzar was saved, I am not sure one can tell ... or does Scripture state such detail about him either way (yes or no)?

• Dave_L
    Dave_L Posts: 2,362

@GaoLu said:
    What do you think, was he saved or not?

In your answer, you might comment on whether other Old Testament period non-law-keeping Gentiles were saved.

“Then Peter began to speak, saying, “Truthfully, I perceive that God is no respecter of persons. But in every nation he who fears Him and works righteousness is accepted by Him.” (Acts 10:34–35)

I believe many live the born again lifestyle who are beyond the reach of the gospel. These live according to the light they have. Not in the fleshly Quaker sense, but as an outworking of the New Birth.

Cornelius was one of these along with others mentioned in scripture. The devout Jews on the Day of Pentecost were born again Jews who entered the New Covenant at Peter's preaching. etc. So if we preach it.... the born again will come.

I think it is probable God saved Nebuchadnezzar, teaching him the hard way about His sovereignty.

• Jan
    Jan Posts: 301
    > @GaoLu said:
    > In your answer, you might comment on whether other Old Testament period non-law-keeping Gentiles were saved.

The name that comes to mind is Job. He was not only saved, but inspired by the Holy Spirit to write authoritative Scripture.

Melchizedek also comes to mind as Yahwe's priest.

A couple of gentile individuals who are possibly saved are Rahab, Ruth, Naaman, and maybe also Jethro.
  • dct112685
    dct112685 Posts: 1,114

@Jan said:
    > @GaoLu said:
    > In your answer, you might comment on whether other Old Testament period non-law-keeping Gentiles were saved.

The name that comes to mind is Job. He was not only saved, but inspired by the Holy Spirit to write authoritative Scripture.

Melchizedek also comes to mind as Yahwe's priest.

A couple of gentile individuals who are possibly saved are Rahab, Ruth, Naaman, and maybe also Jethro.

Mechizedek, oh we should start a whole thread as to the identity of Melchizedek ;)

• GaoLu
    GaoLu Posts: 1,368

Thanks for your thoughts. Some good stuff--all above.

• C Mc
    C Mc Posts: 4,463

"Was Nebuchadnezzar saved?" It all depends on how you define "saved."

• Do you mean did Nebuchadnezzar had a "come to God moment?"
    • Do you really want to know, did Nebuchadnezzar became a believer as the Hebrews?
    • Was Nebuchadnezzar saved (or delivered) from his madness or mental illness?
    • Did Nebuchadnezzar served the God of Heaven?
    • Does a one-time declaration constitutes "eternal salvation?"

In short, what was Nebuchadnezzar's life like, the remainder of his days? CM

• C Mc
    C Mc Posts: 4,463

Could the answer to the OP be in Daniel 4:34 & 37 (NKJV)?

"And at the end of the time I, Nebuchadnezzar, lifted my eyes to heaven, and my understanding returned to me; and I blessed the Most High and praised and honored Him who lives forever: For His dominion is an everlasting dominion, And His kingdom is from generation to generation". 

Unfortunately, some scholars see this as "worship, without conversion". That is one "who acknowledge God’s heavenly sovereignty but remain unbelievers".

• Daniel 4: 37. "Now I, Nebuchadnezzar, praise, exalt and honor the King of heaven, for all His works are true and His ways just, and He is able to humble those who walk in pride.” NASB: 1995 update. (1995).

Nebuchadnezzar was a powerful ruler of the Neo-Babylonian empire around 600 BC. It should be made clear that the book of Daniel does not offer the covenant privileges to non-Israelites. That Nebuchadnezzar offered praises to God (Dan 3:28; 4:34-37) does not basically change the picture. This is in contrast to the book of Isaiah, where the Gentiles are expressly included in the covenant in the future restoration (Isa 19:19-25; 56:6-8; 60:3).

Notwithstanding, one has to acknowledge God worked with non-Israelites in His plan of salvation as some has mentioned above in this post:

• Melchizedek (Gen 14:18-20)
    • Jethro (Exod 18:1, 10-11)
    • Balaam (Numbers 22-24)
    • Rahab (Josh 2)
    • Ruth (Ruth 1-4)
    • Naaman (2 Kings 5);
    • Nebuchadnezzar (Dan 1-2, 4)
    • Cyrus (Isa 45:1)
    • Artaxerxes (Esther 1:1-9)

So, was Nebuchadnezzar saved? We will know "when we all get to heaven, what a day of rejoicing that will be..." CM

SOURCE:

• Beale, G. K. The Book o f Revelation: A Commentary on the Greek Text. The New International Greek Testament Commentary. Grand Rapids, MI: Eerdmans Publishing Company, 1999: 604