A Cesspool of Heresy, False Teachers, Radicals, and Lunatics

dct112685
dct112685 Posts: 1,114

For years I have endured the lunacy of these forums. But no longer.

Heresy abounds on these forums. There are people here who believe they are heaven bound but I assure you, they are bound for Hell. They deny Christ with every fiber of their being and are deceived into thinking they are actually preaching his word.

False teachers abound. Wolves in sheep's clothing. They claim they preach the truth but they twist Scripture and even say that all will end up in heaven. They are evil and should be rebuked. They are vipers and should be trampled.

There are those who hate the church and refuse the fellowship of the believers in direct contradiction to Scripture. They are foolish.

There are radicals who have ideas that are crazy and unfounded.

Then there are the lunatics who live in a fantasy world and have no grasp on what is real and what is not.

For these reasons, I am leaving CD. I want to commune with the body of Christ and that is not what is found here in general.

@GaoLu my brother I have enjoyed your company here but I can stay no longer in this cesspool. You know where to find me.

To the rest of you, I will pray for you.

Goodbye

Comments

• I've had such sentiments at times in the past ... perhaps others have experienced the same as well?

At times, what one considers to be in harmony with Scripture, someone else believes to be in contradiction to Scripture ... thus, there is obviously a dilemma.
    Are there really some who hate the church ... or is this a particular subjective perception based on a particular meaning given to the word "church" according to which "church" definition then someone else is - falsely ? - said to hate the church?
    etc
    etc
    etc

• Dave_L
    Dave_L Posts: 2,362

We'll miss you David. Thanks for sharing your convictions and insights. And for time well spent presenting your challenges with those you disagree with.

• reformed
    reformed Posts: 3,176

@dct112685 said:
    For years I have endured the lunacy of these forums. But no longer.

Heresy abounds on these forums. There are people here who believe they are heaven bound but I assure you, they are bound for Hell. They deny Christ with every fiber of their being and are deceived into thinking they are actually preaching his word.

False teachers abound. Wolves in sheep's clothing. They claim they preach the truth but they twist Scripture and even say that all will end up in heaven. They are evil and should be rebuked. They are vipers and should be trampled.

There are those who hate the church and refuse the fellowship of the believers in direct contradiction to Scripture. They are foolish.

There are radicals who have ideas that are crazy and unfounded.

Then there are the lunatics who live in a fantasy world and have no grasp on what is real and what is not.

For these reasons, I am leaving CD. I want to commune with the body of Christ and that is not what is found here in general.

@GaoLu my brother I have enjoyed your company here but I can stay no longer in this cesspool. You know where to find me.

To the rest of you, I will pray for you.

Goodbye

What in the world is this all about???

• C Mc
    C Mc Posts: 4,463

@reformed said:

Reformed,
    It seems to be about someone who spiritually impotent. It appears to be one who can't have one's way. He is ineffective in his abilities and knowledge to reach the "Heresy abounds", "False teachers", and the "lunatics who live in a fantasy world and have no grasp on what is real." This is a declaration of a discouraged and an ineffective man. He has given up. If one can't deal with those who profess to be Christians on this forum, how is he going to deal in the real world of "pimps", "punks", "prostitutes", and "atheists"? The Gospel is to be "preached as a witness..." It does mean that all will accept it. He that endures to the end the same shall be saved.

For a man who claims to be a student of the Word, college degree, and a congregation of people to lead, what an example to set for others? If he didn't have time is one thing but to leave for the aforementioned reasons are sad. We need to pray for him. His stated reasons are a cry for help, in his personal and professional life. He is like Jonah under the Juniper Tree. It's unfortunate that there are too many who handled the Word (Bible) but have not ingested the Word.

I guess his recent comments were signs (not totally missed by some in CD) of his decline. We must take time to ingest the Word as well as share the Word.

In my humble opinion, that's what this is about. CM

• reformed

@C_M_ said:

@reformed said:

Reformed,
    It seems to be about someone who spiritually impotent. It appears to be one who can't have one's way. He is ineffective in his abilities and knowledge to reach the "Heresy abounds", "False teachers", and the "lunatics who live in a fantasy world and have no grasp on what is real." This is a declaration of a discouraged and an ineffective man. He has given up. If one can't deal with those who profess to be Christians on this forum, how is he going to deal in the real world of "pimps", "punks", "prostitutes", and "atheists"? The Gospel is to be "preached as a witness..." It does mean that all will accept it. He that endures to the end the same shall be saved.

For a man who claims to be a student of the Word, college degree, and a congregation of people to lead, what an example to set for others? If he didn't have time is one thing but to leave for the aforementioned reasons are sad. We need to pray for him. His stated reasons are a cry for help, in his personal and professional life. He is like Jonah under the Juniper Tree. It's unfortunate that there are too many who handled the Word (Bible) but have not ingested the Word.

I guess his recent comments were signs (not totally missed by some in CD) of his decline. We must take time to ingest the Word as well as share the Word.

In my humble opinion, that's what this is about. CM

Interesting, he does seem to have a point though with regard to people denying the deity of Christ, that is pretty serious. Any idea what the other things he is talking about are? That was the only thing he mentioned specifically, albeit that is a biggie.

• Bill_Coley
    Bill_Coley Posts: 2,675

@reformed said:

Interesting, he does seem to have a point though with regard to people denying the deity of Christ, that is pretty serious. Any idea what the other things he is talking about are? That was the only thing he mentioned specifically, albeit that is a biggie.

Because I'm a poster often described as one who denies the deity of Christ (and have likely described myself in those terms!) I feel compelled to note that for Wolfgang and me - the two "deniers" I know about in these forums - it's MUCH more accurate to say we believe Jesus and the whole witness of Scripture deny his divinity. Most every other poster in these forums disagrees with our conclusions! But our conclusions about Jesus are products of serious, intentional engagement with the Bible, and are not off-handed remarks for whose sensibility and truthfulness we have little regard.

[I hope I speak accurately for you, Wolfgang! Correct me as appropriate.]

• C Mc

Mr. Reformed,

Re-read my post above. There are people in the "real world" that "deny the deity of Christ." Who cares where they are found? There are people in churches and probably in his church, that denies the deity of Christ. What are Christians supposed to do? Run in a cave? We are to be witnesses. The Holy Spirit will convict them in the fullness of time. A Man convinces, but God convicts and converts.

Think about it. If all the "spirit-filled" Christians leave CD, who will witness to the so-called, "deniers of Christ?" What he deemed "deniers of Christ" could have been just a test of his knowledge, faith, and commitment to Christ. There is nothing worst in the world than a discouraged preacher. Let's pray for him.

Everybody didn't love Jesus while on earth. Everybody around him didn't believe or obeyed him. Why should we expect differently? CM

• C Mc

@Bill_Coley said:

Because I'm a poster often described as one who denies the deity of Christ (and have likely described myself in those terms!) I feel compelled to note that for Wolfgang and me - the two "deniers" I know about in these forums - it's MUCH more accurate to say we believe Jesus and the whole witness of Scripture deny his divinity. Most every other poster in these forums disagrees with our conclusions! But our conclusions about Jesus are products of serious, intentional engagement with the Bible, and are not off-handed remarks for whose sensibility and truthfulness we have little regard.

Bill,
    Thanks for sharing. I don't think that is the issue here at all. That is, the who. Your posts are public and speak for themselves. I don't agree with your position on the subject matter, but this is an opened forum. No investigation is needed.

We discuss the Bible, spiritual things, current events, and non-Christians acts and behaviors. Jesus lived among people who were dishonest, disliked him, lied to Him, on Him, and about Him. He did come aside and rest awhile but continued to do his Father's will. As long as, there are life, love, and time, a mind can be changed. With every decision, there is a consequence. Having a spiritual-tantrum (name calling/running away) is not the way to go about changing minds or to strengthen one's position. CM

• Bill_Coley

@C_M_ said:

Thanks for sharing. I don't think that is the issue here at all. That is, the who. Your posts are public and speak for themselves. I don't agree with your position on the subject matter, but this is an opened forum. No investigation is needed.

I posted about my Christology only to add context and persona to the OP in this thread, one about which @reformed expressed curiosity. Having had hundreds of exchanges over the years with creator of that OP, I am certain that I am among the posters with whose views he there takes issue.

Furthermore, it seems to me that the difference between person X's denial of the divinity of Jesus, and person X's concluding that the Bible denies the divinity of Jesus merits at least casual mention.

• C Mc

Furthermore, it seems to me that the difference between person X's denial of the divinity of Jesus, and person X's concluding that the Bible denies the divinity of Jesus merits at least casual mention.

As you would have it, Bill. CM

• Dave_L

I think this forum is as good as it gets. You have more free speech than any other forum I know of. That said, I think the ideal is when a person presents their view. And those who disagree present their view, leaving the view they oppose lay. For instance, "I believe in the Trinity because", VS "I do not believe in the Trinity because".... Two separate articles, each standing alone.

Even those we disagree with have much good to offer. If we reject their theology, so be it. But they might be more on the ball than I am in other areas.

But many times people become frustrated, they begin hurling personal insults, and begin attacking the messenger instead of the message. The title of this thread provides an good example of this.

• Dave_L
    edited May 2018

@Dave_L said:
    I think this forum is as good as it gets. You have more free speech than any other forum I know of. That said, I think the ideal is when a person presents their view. And those who disagree present their view, leaving the view they oppose lay. For instance, "I believe in the Trinity because", VS "I do not believe in the Trinity because".... Two separate articles, each standing alone.

Even those we disagree with have much good to offer. If we reject their theology, so be it. But they might be more on the ball than I think I am in other areas.

But many times people become frustrated, they begin hurling personal insults, and begin attacking the messenger instead of the message. The title of this thread provides a good example of this.

• @Bill_Coley said:

Yes, Bill ... that is what I would say as well!

• C Mc

@Wolfgang said:

@Bill_Coley said:

Yes, Bill ... that is what I would say as well!

May I quote myself? "Thanks for sharing...Your posts are public and speak for themselves...No investigation is needed." CM

SOURCE:

CM to Bill, Post # 859, May 4, 2018.

• reformed

@C_M_ said:
    Mr. Reformed,

Re-read my post above. There are people in the "real world" that "deny the deity of Christ." Who cares where they are found? There are people in churches and probably in his church, that denies the deity of Christ. What are Christians supposed to do? Run in a cave? We are to be witnesses. The Holy Spirit will convict them in the fullness of time. A Man convinces, but God convicts and converts.

Think about it. If all the "spirit-filled" Christians leave CD, who will witness to the so-called, "deniers of Christ?" What he deemed "deniers of Christ" could have been just a test of his knowledge, faith, and commitment to Christ. There is nothing worst in the world than a discouraged preacher. Let's pray for him.

Everybody didn't love Jesus while on earth. Everybody around him didn't believe or obeyed him. Why should we expect differently? CM

How do we reconcile that with Titus 3:10?

• C Mc

Mr. Reformed,
    Daivd Taylor, Jr., is the one who wrote the OP ("A Cesspool of Heresy Teachers, Radicals, and Lunatics"). He did the opposite of the text (Titus 3:10) you suggested. One should be "warned" or "admonished." Upon a second look, those who refused to heed the norms or the basic tenets of the Christian faith regardless of the denomination should be the one asked to leave. Instead, Taylor, and perhaps one other left. If anything, it's the governing body that could have or should have removed those who are contrary to clear and accepted biblical truth if what David said, is true and appalling.

I don't know if there is the mechanism and/or the "powers to be" in place to remove (block) a user from these forums. If there is, who will speak truth to power? Would he, she or they would have the courage to act decisively? Is there a governing board or a group of free-spirited individuals with a tech-man roaming the spiritual plains?

With this new understanding, Paul used the verb admonish to indicate his desire to produce a change in those whom he addresses. Colossians 1:28 reads: “Him we preach, "warning" every man and teaching every man in all wisdom, that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus.” The word literally means “to warn” or to “admonish.”

Richard Melick further explains the term: “‘Admonishing’ in Scripture has the connotation of confronting with the intent of changing one’s attitudes and actions.”

Paul made clear this meaning in 1 Corinthians 4:4, 10:11; Ephesians 6:4; and Titus 3:10. While warning against divisiveness, Titus 3:10 illustrates his intention for the term: “Reject a divisive man after the first and second admonition ....” The rejection Paul speaks of most likely refers to excommunication.

The reason for this discipline is a refusal to comply (actively) with the admonitions of the church. Morgan Noyes reiterates, “Such a person is to be warned once or twice (see Matt. 18:15-17) and then, if still insubordinate, is to be shunned or rejected.”

Should someone go? Was it David or someone else? Are the CD Administrators are asleep at the switch? Can CD remain opened to discuss matters freely without compromising or surrendering its core principles and biblical doctrines? What say ye? CM

SOURCES:

-- Vine, Unger, and White, Vine’s Complete Expository Dictionary of Old and New Testament Words, 736.
    -- Richard R. Melick, Jr., Philippians, Colossians, Philemon, The New American Commentary (Nashville: Broadman Press, 1991), 242.
    -- Morgan Noyes, Matthew, in vol. 11 of The Interpreter’s Bible, ed. George Buttrick (Nashville: Abingdon, 1955), 548.

• reformed

@C_M_ had the user David Taylor ever called out the heresy before? If he had I think he probably had no choice but to leave:

10 As for a person who stirs up division, after warning him once and then twice, have nothing more to do with him, 11 knowing that such a person is warped and sinful; he is self-condemned.

The Holy Bible: English Standard Version (Wheaton, IL: Crossway Bibles, 2016), Tt 3:10–11.

• C Mc

@reformed said:
    @C_M_ had the user David Taylor ever called out the heresy before? If he had I think he probably had no choice but to leave:

10 As for a person who stirs up division, after warning him once and then twice, have nothing more to do with him, 11 knowing that such a person is warped and sinful; he is self-condemned.

The Holy Bible: English Standard Version (Wheaton, IL: Crossway Bibles, 2016), Tt 3:10–11.

I guess you have to ask him for the many past years. Until then, read what he has written or left behind here in CD-2. I Don't know how to reach him. If anyone knows how to reach him, I would like to know. I wished he would have handled his leaving differently. I remain. CM

• C Mc

In light of the text, Paul stated that teaching false doctrines is not to be tolerated by the believers (see Titus 3:10, 11). It is useful in this context to remember his warning against “any other gospel” (Gal 1:8). He generally called the congregation to deliberate and decide in unity from case to case.

Disciplinary actions function as a deterrent for similar transgressions and thus protect individuals and the congregation (CD). Proper discipline makes a church stronger: “Purge out, therefore, the old leaven, that ye may be a new lump” (1 Cor 5:7).

Truthfulness in the practice of church discipline, as always expected from God’s children, is required by the Holy Scriptures: “Putting away lying, speak every man truth with his neighbor: for we are members one of another” (Eph 4:25). A congregation (CD) and its leaders should never practice church discipline that is motivated by malice or wickedness (1 Cor. 5:6-8).

Paul offers in 1 Cor 5:11a short list of disciplinary reasons. He writes that the church has to discipline a member ... In Titus 3:10, 11, he adds “a man that is an heretick,” which means, one who is teaching false doctrines or otherwise causing divisions in the congregation (CD).

A reminder of why John Wesley disfellowshipped church members:

• In port cities he often had to exclude some for smuggling and found with time that this discipline bore fruit in reducing smuggling in the area. From one society he expelled sixty-four persons, two for cursing, two for habitual Sabbath breaking, seventeen for drunkenness, two for selling liquor, three for quarreling, one for wife beating, three for habitual lying, four for evil speaking, one for idleness, and twenty- nine for “lightness and carelessness.”

TRUTH FOUND TRUTH SHARED. CM

• Bill_Coley

@reformed said:

In my view, the Titus text refers to the local church, and not to the division of theological viewpoints natural and inevitable in multi-person discussion forums, whether online (these days) or in homes (as in those days). I don't consider the presence in these forums of opinions different from mine to be attempts to "stir up division." I consider them opinions different from mine. I think the forums would have been better served had David Taylor adopted the same point of view.

I think it can be argued, in fact, that David's accusations that CD posters with whom he disagreed were, variously, "deceived," Christ-denying, Church-hating, and "lunatic" "wolves in sheep's clothing" stirred up as much, if not more, division than any of the points of view to which David objected.

I propose David had at least three better courses of action, given his strong feelings:
    1) He could have posted a statement that reported his decision to leave the forums, but without the name calling. All he needed to say was that as a matter of faith and in defense of what he believed was biblical truth, he had chosen not to continue in these forums due to views expressed by some, but not all, other CD posters, views with which he strongly disagreed.
    2) He could have continued to engage in the forums - either in efforts to persuade those with whom he disagreed, or in simple avoidance of those with whom he disagreed.
    3) He could have simply stopped posting, without notice of any kind.

In my view, any of those courses of action would have been better than the course David chose.

• C Mc

Bill,
    You have a point. I was responding to the prinicple of the text of text (Titus 3:10, 11). I know CD is not a church or a congregation, but it should be one of rules, order, and discipline. We can use some of the church disciplines to the benefit of all current and future users.

Two wrongs (factual or apparent) don't make a right. Where is David? CM

• Dave_L

What better place to share your beliefs than with those who disagree with you? Not only can you test your position against the polished views of others, maybe they are hearing what you have to say for the first time. We can all find a choir to preach to. Rejecting heretics as I understand pertains to your local church striving for purity.

• C Mc

A small child needs a stable and protective environment first, to grow and learn before, he or she can, to be strong, stand on its own, and resist heresy. At the same time, a standard must be established.

Just because the kidney can cleanse the body of impurities, it doesn't mean we are free to inject a poisonous substance into our system since we have this internal organ. There must still be safeguards in life and living. CM

• reformed

I did a couple of searches for "heresy" and "false teachers" and it looks like the user in question had repeatedly called out heresy and false doctrines. It seems that the Deity of Christ is a big issue here. It seems he followed his conviction and reads Scripture much the same way I did above that if you call out false teachers and they do not respond and turn from their errors then you have nothing left to do with them.

Perhaps it was a matter of conviction for him, not weakness, though I guess it could be perceived as weakness. Is it weak to follow you convictions (assuming that is what happened...) After all, in the words of Martin Luther, "It's not right nor safe to go against conscience."

• C Mc

The "user in question" did a whole lot of name-calling, unnecessarily. How could one take him seriously with this behavior? I guess he's like the fable, "the boy who cried wolf." Now, his good, is evil spoken of.

You don't have the whole story. Your review of David and his postings are limited, at best. The "user in question" said he put-up with the "Cesspool of Heresy, False Teachers, Radicals, and Lunatics" for years. If it were not weakness, it is definitely immaturity. The "user in question" disingenuous to correct. He seems to be more inclined to finger-point, shame, and blame. It would have been nice to speak to him than to talk about him.

Do you know David? Don't trouble yourself to defend him or his actions. Is this your mission here or to raise the standards of CD? CM

• Dave_L

As I pointed out earlier, those who oppose the truth need most to hear it. And getting rid of heretics is a church function. Not for the mission field.

• reformed

@C_M_ said:
    The "user in question" did a whole lot of name-calling, unnecessarily. How could one take him seriously with this behavior? I guess he's like the fable, "the boy who cried wolf." Now, his good, is evil spoken of.

You don't have the whole story. Your review of David and his postings are limited, at best. The "user in question" said he put-up with the "Cesspool of Heresy, False Teachers, Radicals, and Lunatics" for years. If it were not weakness, it is definitely immaturity. The "user in question" disingenuous to correct. He seems to be more inclined to finger-point, shame, and blame. It would have been nice to speak to him than to talk about him.

Do you know David? Don't trouble yourself to defend him or his actions. Is this your mission here or to raise the standards of CD? CM

Name calling? If it is like the supposed name calling in this thread I don't see a problem with that, after all, Jesus did the same thing. Was it more than that?

I'm not trying to defend, or not defend him. I'm trying to understand what happened and get a feel for the dynamics of this board. If we understand what went wrong we can make this place better.

It seems that there is a lack of any type of moderation on this site as opposed to other sites that I have been part of in the past. Moderation mitigates a lot of these problems. I understand some here, I believe @Dave_L have lauded the fact that there is little to no moderation, but it sounds like things can get a bit out of hand.

So yes, my overall mission is to raise the bar. Am I wrong in my assessment?

@Dave_L said:
    As I pointed out earlier, those who oppose the truth need most to hear it. And getting rid of heretics is a church function. Not for the mission field.

Is this forum a mission field though or is it supposed to be Christians discussing theology, current events, etc?

• Dave_L

@reformed said:

@C_M_ said:

Name calling? If it is like the supposed name calling in this thread I don't see a problem with that, after all, Jesus did the same thing. Was it more than that?

I'm not trying to defend, or not defend him. I'm trying to understand what happened and get a feel for the dynamics of this board. If we understand what went wrong we can make this place better.

It seems that there is a lack of any type of moderation on this site as opposed to other sites that I have been part of in the past. Moderation mitigates a lot of these problems. I understand some here, I believe @Dave_L have lauded the fact that there is little to no moderation, but it sounds like things can get a bit out of hand.

@Dave_L said:

Is this forum a mission field though or is it supposed to be Christians discussing theology, current events, etc?

How can it not be a mission field? If it reaches the entire planet for Christ?

• reformed

@Dave_L said:

@reformed said:

@C_M_ said:

@Dave_L said:

I'm asking about the purpose of this site.

• Dave_L

@reformed said:

@Dave_L said:

@reformed said:

@C_M_ said:

@Dave_L said:

I'm asking about the purpose of this site.

Jan is a missionary. I assume it is part of his outreach. I know I feel honored being able to have a voice for Christ that potentially reaches the entire world.