Biblical Covenants

C Mc
C Mc Posts: 4,463
edited April 2018 in Biblical Studies

This is a very good and interesting topic. Biblical response (texts/examples), cultural norms, historical documents, and reasoning of relevant information would be most helpful.

1. What are the Covenants of the Bible? Please them.
  2. To whom were they written to, the terms, and for how long? Specifically, were they written to individuals or to nations (people)?
  3. Please contrast the Old Covenant and the New Covenant:
    • Parties?
    • length?
    • Terms?
    • Blessings - curses?
    • How are they ratified?
    • Were they temporary or permanent?
    • Conditional or Unconditional?
  1. Are there two covenants or just one that has been renewed and expanded?
  2. What are the common denominators of all covenants?
  3. Can you suggest resources on the New Covenant?
  4. What are the parts of a Covenant?

These and other questions should be asked on this subject for a comprehensive understanding. CM

Comments

• Dave_L
    Dave_L Posts: 2,362

@C_M_ said:
    This is a very good and interesting topic. Biblical response (texts/examples), cultural norms, historical documents, and reasoning of relevant information would be most helpful.

1. What are the Covenants of the Bible? Please them.

I believe many covenants exist in the OT. But the primary Covenants are the Noahic Covenant (Rainbow) pertaining to the human race. The Abrahamic Covenant pertaining to those who became physically contracted with Abraham through circumcision. The Mosaic Covenant that continues the Abrahamic Covenant, but serves to control the unbelievers while under contract. And the New Covenant that abolishes physical unbelieving membership in the former covenants. Aimed at believers only.

1. To whom were they written to, the terms, and for how long? Specifically, were they written to individuals or to nations (people)?

The Noahic to all creatures. The Abrahamic to Abraham and his servants and family. The Mosaic written to the those (Abraham's servant's families and his extended family through Isaac) he brought out from Egypt. Being temporary until the New Covenant abolished both Covenants leaving only God's promise to Abraham.

1. Please contrast the Old Covenant and the New Covenant:
      • Parties?

Old Covenant = Those God brought out of Egypt in the exodus.

New Covenant = Believers beginning with Spiritual Israel at the time of Christ and gentiles grafted in among them. The unbelievers being formally removed.

• length?

Old Covenant temporary until the crucifixion when Christ abolished it and circumcision on the cross.

New Covenant is eternal for believers only. It embodies God's promise to Abraham.

• Terms?

Abrahamic and Mosaic Covenants conditioned on circumcision.
    New Covenant only for believers in Christ.

• Blessings - curses?

Abrahamic blessed or cursed depending on circumcision. Mosaic also but expanded to observing the Law and related rituals.

• How are they ratified?

God passed bewteen the animal pieces guaranteeing his promise to Abraham. (An ancient ritual that depicted dismemberment if any breached on the promise.

The promise included all who were circumcised under Abraham and later Moses. But the extent of blessing was eternal for believers, and only temporal and physical for unbelievers.

• Were they temporary or permanent?

Abraham's promise is eternal, the unbelievers only experienced temporal physical benefits. As in the case of Moses' Law.

• Conditional or Unconditional?

Unconditional for believers. Conditional for unbelievers.

1. Are there two covenants or just one that has been renewed and expanded?

Many believe the NT is an expansion of the OT. But the NT completely removed all of the old. The NT writers imported portions into the NT and these remain.

1. What are the common denominators of all covenants?

God's promise given unconditionally to believers and conditionally to unbelievers. The magnitude differs for believers (eternal and spiritual) vs unbelievers (temporary & physical).

1. Can you suggest resources on the New Covenant?

I think some denominations understand it better than others. I go with the Mennonites and historic peace churches (Schleitheim Confession).

1. What are the parts of a Covenant?

A Covenant is a contract. To believers is is an unconditional promise. To unbelievers it is conditional, limited to the physical realm, and temporary.

These and other questions should be asked on this subject for a comprehensive understanding. CM

What made one a Jew? How can I identify the believers or unbelievers in the OT? Are the Reformed (Covenant Theology) right in their views of the Edenic Covenant?

• GaoLu
    GaoLu Posts: 1,368

Some folks get really excited about the concept of the covenant and that is fine. It is a grand thing. Personally, I think the outcome of the covenant, the relationship with God and the joy of being part of His Kingdom, is far more gripping. The covenant is like a hammer and knowing Jesus is the house.

• Dave_L
    Dave_L Posts: 2,362

@GaoLu said:
    Some folks get really excited about the concept of the covenant and that is fine. It is a grand thing. Personally, I think the outcome of the covenant, the relationship with God and the joy of being part of His Kingdom, is far more gripping. The covenant is like a hammer and knowing Jesus is the house.

Thanks for the grip on reality. I heard that one of the greatest theologians ever, 5 doctor degrees from major colleges and seminaries said, when asked about the greatest thing he ever learned "Jesus loves me this I know, for the bible tells me so....."

• dct112685
    dct112685 Posts: 1,114

@Dave_L said:

@GaoLu said:

Thanks for the grip on reality. I heard that one of the greatest theologians ever, 5 doctor degrees from major colleges and seminaries said, when asked about the greatest thing he ever learned "Jesus loves me this I know, for the bible tells me so....."

Amen