Who is Satan?

Who is Satan?

I saw in another thread that @Wolfgang said that there is a misconception of who Satan is or is not? What is everyone's view here?

Comments

• @davidtaylorjr said:
    Who is Satan?
    I saw in another thread that @Wolfgang said that there is a misconception of who Satan is or is not? What is everyone's view here?

My concern is that the term "Satan" (as well as "Devil") nowadays is almost exclusively used as a "name/title/designation" for one particular spirit being, who is said to have been top angel, then became a fallen angel, etc.
    I would say that the Scriptures use these term(s) not necessarily in this same sense, but rather also as regular nouns with the meaning of "adversary/enemy" and "deceiver", etc ... and it is the context which shows WHO the respective adversary or enemy is (may well be not even a spirit being / angel but rather a human being .... (cp the passage where Jesus addresses Peter and confronts him, using the term "satan")

• dct112685
    dct112685 Posts: 1,114

@Wolfgang said:

@davidtaylorjr said:
    Who is Satan?

My concern is that the term "Satan" (as well as "Devil") nowadays is almost exclusively used as a "name/title/designation" for one particular spirit being, who is said to have been top angel, then became a fallen angel, etc.

Because that is who Scripture says he is.

I would say that the Scriptures use these term(s) not necessarily in this same sense, but rather also as regular nouns with the meaning of "adversary/enemy" and "deceiver", etc ... and it is the context which shows WHO the respective adversary or enemy is (may well be not even a spirit being / angel but rather a human being .... (cp the passage where Jesus addresses Peter and confronts him, using the term "satan")

Do you think that Christ was saying that Peter is Satan?

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited April 2018

@davidtaylorjr said:

Do you think that Christ was saying that Peter is Satan?

I think Christ was recognizing Peter as being against him, an adversary [satan] ... which Jesus then detailed in his words " ... thou [Peter] art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men." (Mt 16:23)

Your question indicates you did not understand what I wrote previously about the word "Satan" being used not only in the sense of a proper name/ title / etc. but in its regular normal meaning of "adversary/enemy" ... which the verse in Mt 16:23 illustrates rather clearly.

• Dave_L
    Dave_L Posts: 2,362

https://www.miqlat.org/

Dr. Heiser has several interesting points on this. I think he mirrors what Wolfgang is saying as far as Satan in the OT.

• GaoLu
    GaoLu Posts: 1,368

The word can refer to a literal adversary and also refers to the personal name of a specific person who is an adversary and is also called a evil-one, dragon, serpent or accuser. He is a devil (slanderer / enemy)-- a fact we might keep in mind when we slander the president God set up over our great nation, America, lest people be puppets of satan doing the dragon's work.

• C Mc
    C Mc Posts: 4,463

@GaoLu said:
    The word can refer to a literal adversary and also refers to the personal name of a specific person who is an adversary and is also called a evil-one, dragon, serpent or accuser. He is a devil (slanderer / enemy)-- a fact we might keep in mind when we slander the president God set up over our great nation, America, lest people be puppets of satan doing the dragon's work.

My brother, GaoLu,
    Let's leave American politics out of this thread. There are many others to defend your beloved, President Trump -- under current events. This is a Bible question section, no banter, please! Don't you agree? CM

• dct112685

@C_M_ said:

@GaoLu said:

My brother, GaoLu,
    Let's leave American politics out of this thread. There are many others to defend your beloved, President Trump -- under current events. This is a Bible question section, no banter, please! Don't you agree? CM

Actually, the one politically charged here is you. You should read his post more closely and you will see it wasn't actually a political statement at all.

• C Mc

@davidtaylorjr said:

@C_M_ said:

My brother, GaoLu,

Actually, the one politically charged here is you. You should read his post more closely and you will see it wasn't actually a political statement at all.

David, "Actually", if you were to read my "post more closely and you will see", it was address to GaoLu. CM

• GaoLu
    GaoLu Posts: 1,368

CM, you are really a controller aren't you. Same bully tendencies we see in Bill.

Well, David read my post right and he can respond to you if he likes. This is my post and I will include politics if I like. Smoke that.

In fact, my post, as David said has nothing to do with politics but is all about who satan is and what a satan is.

Maybe your world is so political you can't even see reality anymore (seems probable) or maybe you are just a troll (I think trolls are cute and rather enjoy one now and then), or maybe you see yourself as an adversary and just like to play that role. However that may turn out, do you have anything to say on topic? If you are afraid of the topic then you can go back to trolling. I really find it amusing as well and as it sort of balances out serious topics.

• dct112685
    edited April 2018

@C_M_ said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@C_M_ said:

My brother, GaoLu,

David, "Actually", if you were to read my "post more closely and you will see", it was address to GaoLu. CM

It's a public forum, if you didn't want a response from anyone but GaoLu, use a private message.

I also noticed you didn't respond to my charge. Guess I was spot on in my analysis.

• C Mc

@GaoLu said:
    CM, you are really a controller aren't you. Same bully tendencies we see in Bill.

In fact, my post, as David said has nothing to do with politics but is all about who satan is and what a satan is.

**GaoLu, What's the necessity for all the name calling and comparing me to Bill? Wo ordain you to do such? **

Maybe your world is so political you can't even see reality anymore (seems probable) or maybe you are just a troll (I think trolls are cute and rather enjoy one now and then), or maybe you see yourself as an adversary and just like to play that role. However that may turn out, do you have anything to say on topic? If you are afraid of the topic then you can go back to trolling. I really find it amusing as well and as it sort of balances out serious topics.

GaoLu,
    Why when I exercise the right and privileges CD affords, you find it necessary to call me a troll? You may call me what you will or may, in CD, I will stay. Could you be what you project me to be? To whom it may concern, my posts speaks for themselves...

You exercise your rights and in CD, with ease. So, I will make contributions, here, and elsewhere; like you, as I please!

On a more serious point, it's you who's getting off topic and you were reminded so. See my previous posts above and this below.

For starters "Satan" in the OT must be seen as a noun and a verb. Of course, the two are related. The verb occurs six (6) times:

• Ps. 38.20, 21
    • Ps. 71:13
    • Ps. 109:4, 20, 29
    • Zech 3:1

Look these up for now but be aware that the word Satan in Heb doesn't have cognate in any of the Semitic languages. Finding the best English equivalent may present a challenge. e.g. Satan could be "accuse", "slander" and "be an adversary". Give it some thought.

In addition, there are two are two categories of Satans in the OT:
    1. "Terrestrial Satans":
    -- The first human called a satan is David (1 Sam 29:4). [not our David here in CD] ;)
    -- Shimei, a Benjaminite (2 Sam 16:5-14).
    -- Solomon (1 Kgs 5:18)-- Military rival who lives outside one's empire.
    -- "Human Satan" (Ps 109:6).

2. "Celestial Satans":
    -- Num 22:22, 32
    -- Job 1 and 2
    -- Zech 3: 1-2
    -- 1 Chr 21:1

Until next time, keep studying. CM

• C Mc

@dct112685 said:

It's a public forum if you didn't want a response from anyone but GaoLu, use a private message.

Are these forums opened to anyone (non-Logos Users) like your US National Parks?

I also noticed you didn't respond to my charge. Guess I was spot on in my analysis.

1. David, this is not a game.
    2. You said, "Guess I was spot on in my analysis." David, remember, in life because one acquiesces [allows], it doesn't mean that one approves. I could cite some things in your life, but it would be misunderstood. Let's stay on topic. Thanks for your response. CM