Does your church practice baptism?

GaoLu
GaoLu Posts: 1,368
  1. Does your church practice baptism?
  2. If yes, then how?
  3. At what age?
  4. What do you consider valid baptism?
  5. Under what circumstances do you practice re-baptism?
  6. What do you think baptism is for?
Tagged:

Comments

• dct112685
    dct112685 Posts: 1,114
    1. Yes
    2. Immersion
    3. The age they get saved.
    4. Not sure I understand the question.
    5. If someone was baptized but either was not truly converted or did not understand at the time what they were doing.
    6. Public profession of faith.
  • GaoLu
    edited March 2018

Thanks, David. I appreciate all your answers.

Regarding #4, I was thinking about mode, such as, does it count if it is...

• Infant baptism
    • Morman baptism
    • Hindu baptism (if you can call it that)
    • Jewish baptism - or related types of ritual baths
    • Sprinkling/pouring, immersion, other
    • Quaker type "inner experience" baptism
    • Holy Spirit Baptism (replacing water baptism)

Also, does the administrator matter? A priest? Preacher? Self-administered?

What would you or your church recommend in such cases?

• dct112685

@GaoLu said:

• Infant baptism
    • Morman baptism

All of those would need to either be baptized the first time (in the case of Holy Spirit Baptism) or re-baptized as they never were baptized as a profession of their faith in Christ.

Self-administered does not make sense, but I believe it should be by another believer more mature in the faith than you. Preferably a pastor/preacher/etc but that is not always practical.

• Dave_L
    Dave_L Posts: 2,362

@davidtaylorjr said:

@GaoLu said:

• Infant baptism
    • Morman baptism

All of those would need to either be baptized the first time (in the case of Holy Spirit Baptism) or re-baptized as they never were baptized as a profession of their faith in Christ.

Self-administered does not make sense, but I believe it should be by another believer more mature in the faith than you. Preferably a pastor/preacher/etc but that is not always practical.

I like your answer. What I believe is most interesting about my baptism is that I was baptized by someone who was baptized by someone who was baptized by someone, and so on, all the way back to someone who was baptized by the Apostles.....

• dct112685

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@GaoLu said:

• Infant baptism
    • Morman baptism

I like your answer. What I believe is most interesting about my baptism is that I was baptized by someone who was baptized by someone who was baptized by someone, and so on, all the way back to someone who was baptized by the Apostles.....

That's a great and sobering and exciting thought Dave!

• GaoLu

That is a good thought. I have thought of that in reference to telling others about Christ. The same is true there, that all the way back to Jesus words spoken and head by someone, the message of the Gospel has been told person to person all the way down to each of us.

As sure as we say such a thing, there is bound to be a rare exception somewhere. I heard once about a group of men convicted about the message of the Bible. There was no one available to baptize them (they said), so, they cast lots and one baptized another and then that person baptized the rest. They kept secret for life who baptized who. Just a curious story.

• GaoLu

Just curious why certain people groups don't comment on topics like this. If you know what I mean.

• Dave_L

@GaoLu said:
    That is a good thought. I have thought of that in reference to telling others about Christ. The same is true there, that all the way back to Jesus words spoken and head by someone, the message of the Gospel has been told person to person all the way down to each of us.

As sure as we say such a thing, there is bound to be a rare exception somewhere. I heard once about a group of men convicted about the message of the Bible. There was no one available to baptize them (they said), so, they cast lots and one baptized another and then that person baptized the rest. They kept secret for life who baptized who. Just a curious story.

Thanks for sharing. This is why I believe some who never heard the gospel or received baptism are included in the heavenly number through the New Birth. Christ paid for their sins, and they have the Holy Spirit, and they would believe if exposed to the gospel.

• dct112685

@Dave_L said:

@GaoLu said:

Thanks for sharing. This is why I believe some who never heard the gospel or received baptism are included in the heavenly number through the New Birth. Christ paid for their sins, and they have the Holy Spirit, and they would believe if exposed to the gospel.

Woa, this is heresy. You cannot be saved without knowing the Gospel.

• Dave_L

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@GaoLu said:

How about infants or imbeciles?

• dct112685

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@GaoLu said:

Fair enough, but it didn't sound like that is what you were talking about.

• Dave_L

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

@GaoLu said:

Fair enough, but it didn't sound like that is what you were talking about.

Paragraph 3. Elect infants dying in infancy are regenerated and saved by Christ through the Spirit;10 who works when, and where, and how He pleases;11 so also are all elect persons, who are incapable of being outwardly called by the ministry of the Word. 
    10 John 3:3, 5, 6 
    11 John 3:8

THE BAPTIST CONFESSION OF FAITH OF 1689 . (n.d.).

• reformed
    reformed Posts: 3,176

@GaoLu said:
    1. Does your church practice baptism?

Yes

1. If yes, then how?

We live in the middle of nowhere so usually in the river or creek via immersion.

1. At what age?

Whatever age salvation happens at for that individual.

1. What do you consider valid baptism?

Immersion believer's baptism.

1. Under what circumstances do you practice re-baptism?

That's a tough one. But I think if there is reason to believe that one was not saved and then genuinely got saved that there would be grounds for that. Of course, I'm not even sure there would be anything wrong with multiple baptisms anyway. After all, it is a sign of what you believe, yes?

1. What do you think baptism is for?

Sign of belief and allegiance to Christ.

• GaoLu
    Solid answers.