What's In A Name?

C Mc
C Mc Posts: 4,463

“A name is a means of confirming someone’s social identity. A name is not a mere label of identification but an expression of its bearer's nature. The full expression of God's character is given in Jesus Christ, who has manifested God's name (John 17:6, 26, KJV).

Whatever is called by Yahweh's name is His possession and comes under His authority and protection. God wanted His character to be embedded in Jerusalem, in the temple, and in His people. A new name is necessary for those who develop a new character. This is a renewal of the promise of Revelation 2:17. When Jacob’s character was changed the Lord changed his name, for the purpose of a name is to describe the character.

A name is the “locus of qualities” or the “locus around which characterization actually takes place.” A name may also be a means of revealing character. See a for deeper study:

• -- Brian C. Small, “The Use of Rhetorical Topoi in the Characterization of Jesus in the Book of Hebrews,” Small, Brian C. “The Use of Rhetorical Topoi in the Characterization of Jesus in the Book of Hebrews.” **Perspectives in Religious Studies 37 (2010):37
  • -- Chatman, Seymour. Story and Discourse: Narrative Structure in Fiction and Film. Ithaca, N.Y.: Cornell University Press, 1978.

Names carry the past and the future also includes the present (e.g. "Marah"-- due to the fact that it has bitter waters, therefore the element of present appears). In another place, the Lord changed Abram’s name to Abraham, which means “father of many nations,” because He had “made [him] a father of a multitude of nations” (Gen 17:6). The new name expressed the promise that the Lord would manifest in Abraham’s future. Hence we see that names in the Bible could contain a sense of past, present and/or future. [See-- “What’s in a Name: Yahweh in Exodus 3 and the Wider Biblical Context,” Interpretation 33 (1979): 228].

As I said to Dave earlier in this thread-- ["The way people treat you is a statement about who they are as a human being. It is not a statement about you."]-- The Bible affirms that names often reveal the character of the giver, rather than the bearer of the name (for example, Leah naming her children in Gen 29:31–30:19). See, Meir Sternberg, The Poetics of Biblical Narrative: Ideological Literature and the Drama of Reading (Bloomington, Ind.: Indiana University Press, 1985), 330–31.

When Jesus called some a name it was not to insult, shame or to put a person down: e.g.
"serpent", "vipers", "full of dead men bones" "liars", "blind guides", etc. It was a reflection of their heart and character. Jesus knew their inner being. Since many of us, don't know this of each, none of us should be calling anyone, anything, other than the name we have given here in these forums. This the same reason why we're not to judge one another (Matt 7:1-5). Let's remember, "... for the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart" (1 Samuel 16:7 ).

Let's call on the name, Jesus, and one another, brother. Peace and love... :) CM

Comments

• GaoLu
    GaoLu Posts: 1,368
    edited March 2018

Good thoughts.

"Name-calling" is often not just about "naming" a person but more often about labeling them. This can be good or bad. We do in fact call snakes snakes;and wisely, we label them to our children as poisonous. We do the same with sin and sinners.

I was about 6 years old and walking up from some CA beach. We passed a young man in a red bandanna with long stringy hair, stumbling about with a cane and a dazed look. My parents labeled him "sad, unfortunate, on-drugs" and some other things. Made an impression in me! When I was in college a student passed out on our lawn one cold winter morning. My wife covered him with a blanket and we labeled to our children, "drunk." Rightly so. Our kids haven't forgotten that yet. Later we brought him into our house until and ambulance came.

Some, like Bill might claim he never calls anyone names, he just describes their behavior. Noble? I get a kick out of that. I mean, really, what is the difference? There is some, I suppose, yet we humans aren't really stupid, even when we play silly politically-correct word games.

Names have a place. Labeling a person or behavior has a time. It can be used or abused. However, we need not create PC rules for their use. Rather let the law of Christ rule in our hearts and use them effectively and wisely.

• C Mc

Thanks, GaoLu,
    Your thoughts brought to mind the need to keep a clear distinction between "naming" and "name-calling." When confused, one can be nasty and attributes it to being like Jesus. Thanks for the stimulation (acceptable among Christian men). :D Blessings! CM

• Bill_Coley
    Bill_Coley Posts: 2,675

@GaoLu said:

Some, like Bill might claim he never calls anyone names, he just describes their behavior. Noble? I get a kick out of that. I mean, really, what is the difference? There is some, I suppose, yet we humans aren't really stupid, even when we play silly politically-correct word games.

The difference between name-calling ("You're an idiot.") and describing behaviors ("That was not a smart thing to do") is the difference between people and things about people. It's the difference commended by the CD expectation that we will "criticize ideas, not people." It's the difference between identifying a person by his or her condition ("He's a failure") and identifying him or her as person who has that condition ("She failed when she....") It's the difference commanded in the Christian aphorism, "Hate the sin, love the sinner."

In short, name-calling is person-centered criticism, where as behavior descriptions are conduct-centered criticism. Name-calling is about who you are. Behavior-descriptions are about what you do.

In his iconic "I Have a Dream" speech, Martin Luther King Jr. famously said...

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin [who they are] but by the content of their character. [what they do]"

I don't find such a distinction to be a "silly, politically correct word (game)." You do. We disagree.

• GaoLu
    GaoLu Posts: 1,368

Yes. To a large extent, we disagree. So it is. Next?

• C Mc

Speaking of names, what about the ones Jesus is called? Also, what about the names He called himself? The Bible gives many names for Jesus. Names are reflective of character.

The Name of Jesus

If there is one name sweeter than another in a believer's ear, it is the name of Jesus. He is in many of our hymns. Looking back, Charles Haddon Spurgeon, regarded by many even today, as the "prince of preachers", noted the emphasis on the sweetness and the preciousness of this name of the Son of God. We recall some well-known hymns, such as:

• -- "How Sweet the Name of Jesus Sounds"
    • -- "Take the Name of Jesus With You"
    • -- "There Is a Name I Love to Hear"
    • -- "There's No Other Name Like Jesus," and so many others.

Consider the name of Jesus in the Bible and be reminded of his character...

Jesus—His name

• It may be that His name should be considered in its various forms, for names other than "Jesus" are ascribed to Him.

a. His names in the New Testament:

• a. "Thou shalt call his name Jesus" (Matt. 1:21).
    • b. "They shall call his name Emmanuel" (Matt. 1:23).
    • c. "His name is called the Word of God" (Rev. 19:13).

b. His names in the Old Testament:

• a. "His name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace" (Isa. 9:6).

• The LXX reads "His name is called the Messenger of great counsel."—The Septuagint Version of the Old Testament With an English Translation (S. Bagster SC Sons, London, 1844). This text was regarded as Messianic by the ancient rabbis. We read: "His name shall be called from of old, Wonderful, Counsellor, Mighty God, He who lives forever, the Anointed One [or Messiahr—J. F. STENNING, Targum of Isaiah, p. 32.

b. "Behold the man whose name is The BRANCH" (Zech. 6:12).

• The "Branch" is also mentioned in Zechariah 3:8 as "my servant the Branch," and in Jeremiah 23:5 in "I will raise unto David a righteous Branch, and a King shall reign and prosper."

• In the Targum on Jeremiah 23:5, we read: "I will raise up for David the Messiah the Just." And another significant comment in ancient literature: "Behold, a man whose name is the shoot, and who shall shoot up (Zech. 6:12). This refers to the Messiah." —Midrash Rabbah, on Num. XVII: 21.

c. "And this is his name whereby he shall be called, THE LORD OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS" (Jer. 23:6).

• This text was recognized by many of the godly Jews of ancient days as referring to the Messiah. "[As regards] the Messiah—it is written: and this shall be the name whereby he shall be called, the Lord our righteousness."—Talmud Baba Bathra75b.

d. Jesus and His Recognition of His Father's Name

• Over and over again Jesus mentioned that the Father "sent" Him (John 5:24, 36, etc.); that He came "from heaven" (John 6:38); that His will was to do, not His own will, but the will of His Father (John 5:30). This is revealed particularly in relation to the "name" of God. Jesus said, "I am come in my Father's name" (John 5:43); "The works that I do in my Father's name" (John 10:25). He declared "I have manifested thy name" (John 17:6);

"I have declared . . . thy name" (John 17:26). It is evident then that there was an intimate relationship between our Lord on earth and His Father in heaven. This relationship is beautifully expressed in His remarks "I and my Father are one" (John 10:30) and "I do always those things that please him" (John 8:29). -- Can you name others? CM

• Dave_L
    Dave_L Posts: 2,362

@C_M_ said:
    Speaking of names, what about the ones Jesus is called? Also, what about the names He called himself? The Bible gives many names for Jesus. Names are reflective of character.

The Name of Jesus

If there is one name sweeter than another in a believer's ear, it is the name of Jesus. He is in many of our hymns. Looking back, Charles Haddon Spurgeon, regarded by many even today, as the "prince of preachers", noted the emphasis on the sweetness and the preciousness of this name of the Son of God. We recall some well-known hymns, such as:

• -- "How Sweet the Name of Jesus Sounds"
    • -- "Take the Name of Jesus With You"
    • -- "There Is a Name I Love to Hear"
    • -- "There's No Other Name Like Jesus," and so many others.

Consider the name of Jesus in the Bible and be reminded of his character...

Jesus—His name

• It may be that His name should be considered in its various forms, for names other than "Jesus" are ascribed to Him.

a. His names in the New Testament:

• a. "Thou shalt call his name Jesus" (Matt. 1:21).
    • b. "They shall call his name Emmanuel" (Matt. 1:23).
    • c. "His name is called the Word of God" (Rev. 19:13).

b. His names in the Old Testament:

• a. "His name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace" (Isa. 9:6).

• The LXX reads "His name is called the Messenger of great counsel."—The Septuagint Version of the Old Testament With an English Translation (S. Bagster SC Sons, London, 1844). This text was regarded as Messianic by the ancient rabbis. We read: "His name shall be called from of old, Wonderful, Counsellor, Mighty God, He who lives forever, the Anointed One [or Messiahr—J. F. STENNING, Targum of Isaiah, p. 32.

b. "Behold the man whose name is The BRANCH" (Zech. 6:12).

• The "Branch" is also mentioned in Zechariah 3:8 as "my servant the Branch," and in Jeremiah 23:5 in "I will raise unto David a righteous Branch, and a King shall reign and prosper."

• In the Targum on Jeremiah 23:5, we read: "I will raise up for David the Messiah the Just." And another significant comment in ancient literature: "Behold, a man whose name is the shoot, and who shall shoot up (Zech. 6:12). This refers to the Messiah." —Midrash Rabbah, on Num. XVII: 21.

c. "And this is his name whereby he shall be called, THE LORD OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS" (Jer. 23:6).

• This text was recognized by many of the godly Jews of ancient days as referring to the Messiah. "[As regards] the Messiah—it is written: and this shall be the name whereby he shall be called, the Lord our righteousness."—Talmud Baba Bathra75b.

d. Jesus and His Recognition of His Father's Name

• Over and over again Jesus mentioned that the Father "sent" Him (John 5:24, 36, etc.); that He came "from heaven" (John 6:38); that His will was to do, not His own will, but the will of His Father (John 5:30). This is revealed particularly in relation to the "name" of God. Jesus said, "I am come in my Father's name" (John 5:43); "The works that I do in my Father's name" (John 10:25). He declared "I have manifested thy name" (John 17:6);

"I have declared . . . thy name" (John 17:26). It is evident then that there was an intimate relationship between our Lord on earth and His Father in heaven. This relationship is beautifully expressed in His remarks "I and my Father are one" (John 10:30) and "I do always those things that please him" (John 8:29). -- Can you name others? CM

Thanks for your work in developing this. I like the Nestle Aland 28 translation of Jude 5 that also tells us Jesus is YHWH.

“Now I desire to remind you (even though you have been fully informed of these facts once for all) that Jesus, having saved the people out of the land of Egypt, later destroyed those who did not believe.” (Jude 5)

• @GaoLu said:
    "Name-calling" is often not just about "naming" a person but more often about labeling them.

Seems to me from my limited knowledge of the English language that "name-calling" and "naming" are two entirely different things ....

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2018

@C_M_ said:
    “A name is a means of confirming someone’s social identity. A name is not a mere label of identification but an expression of its bearer's nature. The full expression of God's character is given in Jesus Christ, who has manifested God's name (John 17:6, 26, KJV).

I would think that one needs must distinguish between a few things in regards to this matter of "name" ... for example, there is a difference between people in general giving their children a name (especially so in our cultures of today) and the situations we read about in Scripture where in certain situations (and not necessarily in general !) people were named with specific names in order for that name to describe some special point about that person, their character or the person's mission, etc

My name is "Wolfgang" ... the meaning of my name maybe something like "someone going after or hunting wolves", BUT I can assure you that the meaning of my name and thus my name does NOT reflect anything about me as I have absolutely nothing to do with "going after or hunting wolves".

When Jesus called some a name it was not to insult, shame or to put a person down: e.g.
    "serpent", "vipers", "full of dead men bones" "liars", "blind guides", etc. It was a reflection of their heart and character.

Careful .... none of these are even names. These are terms of comparison used in a figure of speech to describe in an emphatic manner the character and/or actions of the person so labeled. This has nothing to do with "what's in a name" or the use of "names" with the purpose of the person carrying the character or actions described by the meaning of the name.

• C Mc

Christ is known to be as one with "round characters" (an expression of Biographers). This is one with many-sided, complex personalities contrast with "flat characters", those with limited change or development. Both Christ and Satan are classified as round characters—which is probably why the Bible writers use dozens of different names to describe them.

CHRIST………-------………… SATAN

John 10:11 (Good Shepherd) -------- John 10:12 (“Wolf”)
    Luke 7:34 (“Son of man”) ----------- Matt. 13:39
 (“Devil”)
    1 Tim. 2:5 (Christ Jesus) -------------Rev. 12:10 (“Accuser of our brethren”)

By definition, all metaphors compare two things basically unalike. Hence, all metaphors fall short of completely explaining anything. How could two different authors label Jesus so differently, one calling Him a Lamb (1 Pet. 1:19) and another calling Him a Lion? (Rev. 5:5). In fact, the same author, John, in Revelation 5:6, calls Jesus a Lamb, then calls Him a Lion in the next verse.

It's fascinating that Jesus has so many different names. He is the Bread of life, the High Priest, the Second Adam, the Son of God, the Son of Man, the Savior, the Rock of Ages, the Lord our Righteousness, Immanuel (God with us), the Bright and Morning Star, our Advocate, the Anointed, the Author of our salvation, the Alpha and Omega, the Passover, the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world, the Faithful Witness, the Good Shepherd. He is the Way, the Word of God, the Truth. He is our Creator, our Wonderful Counselor, the Cornerstone. He is the Redeemer and the Resurrection and the Life. He is the Vine, the Captain of our Salvation, and our Righteousness. He is also a King, a Lamb, and a Lion.

-- 1. What do all these names tell us about Christ and the work He has done, is doing, and will do?
    -- 2. Which names of Christ most appeal to you personally?
    -- 3. Because we are all so different and all relate to our Lord differently, could these various names have been given in order to help us each connect to the Lord in ways that best suit our unique personhood?
    -- 4. If so, what should that tell us about not trying to force people into spiritual molds, one size for all? What say ye? CM

• @C_M_ said:
    Christ is known to be as one with "round characters" (an expression of Biographers). This is one with many-sided, complex personalities contrast with "flat characters", those with limited change or development. Both Christ and Satan are classified as round characters—which is probably why the Bible writers use dozens of different names to describe them.

I'd leave such "fancy ideas" and seemingly "highly educated" opinions behind ... and instead keep things simple and read what Scripture says.

By definition, all metaphors compare two things basically unalike.

This is non-sense, as with any "comparison" the things compared have something in common (namely, that which is the point of comparison !! )

Hence, all metaphors fall short of completely explaining anything.

The purpose of a metaphor is NOT about "completely explaining anything" in the first place; the purpose of a metaphor is to put emphasis on ONE certain point of comparison!

How could two different authors label Jesus so differently, one calling Him a Lamb (1 Pet. 1:19) and another calling Him a Lion? (Rev. 5:5). In fact, the same author, John, in Revelation 5:6, calls Jesus a Lamb, then calls Him a Lion in the next verse.

This statement displays an utter lack of or at least largely incomplete knowledge of figures of speech and their use in language in general and the Bible in particular. IF the purpose of a metaphor were understood, one would not even ask such a question!

It's fascinating that Jesus has so many different names. He is the Bread of life, the High Priest, the Second Adam, the Son of God, the Son of Man, the Savior, the Rock of Ages, the Lord our Righteousness, Immanuel (God with us), the Bright and Morning Star, our Advocate, the Anointed, the Author of our salvation, the Alpha and Omega, the Passover, the Lamb slain from the foundation of the world, the Faithful Witness, the Good Shepherd. He is the Way, the Word of God, the Truth. He is our Creator, our Wonderful Counselor, the Cornerstone. He is the Redeemer and the Resurrection and the Life. He is the Vine, the Captain of our Salvation, and our Righteousness. He is also a King, a Lamb, and a Lion.

Did you notice that just about all of the list are NOT names (exception is only "Immanuel")???

-- 1. What do all these names tell us about Christ and the work He has done, is doing, and will do?

I'd suggest to first understand fundamental truth about what is a name and what is something else ...

-- 3. Because we are all so different and all relate to our Lord differently, could these various names have been given in order to help us each connect to the Lord in ways that best suit our unique personhood?

The differences among the millions of people have NOTHING to do with who and what Christ Jesus is and how he is described in Scripture.

-- 4. If so, what should that tell us about not trying to force people into spiritual molds, one size for all? What say ye? CM

Since there is No "If so ..." in the first place, the question is irrelevant to what is being stated before ...

• Dave_L
    Dave_L Posts: 2,362
    edited March 2018

@C_M_ said:

CHRIST………-------………… SATAN

John 10:11 (Good Shepherd) -------- John 10:12 (“Wolf”)
    Luke 7:34 (“Son of man”) ----------- Matt. 13:39
 (“Devil”)
    1 Tim. 2:5 (Christ Jesus) -------------Rev. 12:10 (“Accuser of our brethren”)

By definition, all metaphors compare two things basically unalike. Hence, all metaphors fall short of completely explaining anything. How could two different authors label Jesus so differently, one calling Him a Lamb (1 Pet. 1:19) and another calling Him a Lion? (Rev. 5:5). In fact, the same author, John, in Revelation 5:6, calls Jesus a Lamb, then calls Him a Lion in the next verse.

I like metaphors. Many times they are the only way to understand spiritual truth.

• C Mc

@Wolfgang said:

I'd suggest to first understand fundamental truth about what is a name and what is something else ...

Thanks, Wolfgang, I guess you the man.

A Name is ?____________________________
    A Title is? _____________________________
    A Metaphor Is? ________________________
    Figures of Speech?____________________
    Name-calling? ___________ (Required)________

And Jesus taught his disciples and His disciples were sent out to teach others... There is hope for the "academic unenlightened." CM

• @C_M_ said:

smart remarks have never helped anyone to gain more understanding, or ?

I think it is important to recognize the differences and to not disregard them when endeavoring to understand passages in Scripture.

And Jesus taught his disciples and His disciples were sent out to teach others... There is hope for the "academic unenlightened." CM

I would think there is no academic enlightenment needed to know the differences, for example, between "a name" and "a title"

• C Mc

@Wolfgang said:

@C_M_ said:

smart remarks have never helped anyone to gain more understanding, or ?

I think it is important to recognize the differences and to not disregard them when endeavoring to understand passages in Scripture.

Oh, Wolfgang,
    It was just a light moment, lighten up. No meanness intended. Stay sharp. Peace. CM