Revelation 2, An Apology, and New Practices

dct112685
dct112685 Posts: 1,114

Everyone,

I've been doing some study in Revelation and wanted to confess that I have been convicted about Christ's letter to the church at Ephesus. Without going into a full exposition, they were praised for calling out false doctrines but rebuked for forgetting their first love.

Now scholars debate whether that is talking about their love for Christ or their love for each other. But I want to talk about my love for my brethren and the lost right now.

For years, I have staunchly and solidly defended the Christian faith against, what I strongly believe to be, false doctrine and unbiblical teaching. For this, I do not apologize. I have also been strong and stern in the way I interact with some members on these forums. There have been times when it has gotten out of hand. And for that I wish to issue apologies to:

@Bill_Coley @Wolfgang @Dave_L @C_M_

While I do not apologize for going on the attack against your stances, I have not been very loving towards you. Some of you I have even come to resent and it has been eating at me for a while. I don't agree with a lot of your positions but that doesn't excuse the way I have belittled and torn you down. Sometimes I believe you are flat wrong, or even dangerous to the Kingdom with some of your views. Yes, I need to call them out. But I need to do it in love. That, I have not been so great at.

Going forward, with certain posts you may not get a response from me. That is not because I have nothing to say on the issue or because I agree with you. It is because I want to practice self-control and not lash out to correct the doctrine and forget to love.

I hope we can all move forward and each examine ourselves and our positions on doctrine and the way we go about our discussion.

If you have any questions, thoughts, or concerns, feel free, I will respond.

Thank you.

David

Comments

• Bill_Coley
    Bill_Coley Posts: 2,675

@davidtaylorjr said:
    For years, I have staunchly and solidly defended the Christian faith against, what I strongly believe to be, false doctrine and unbiblical teaching. For this, I do not apologize. I have also been strong and stern in the way I interact with some members on these forums. There have been times when it has gotten out of hand.

Thank you for this acknowledgement, David.

I wish you success and satisfaction from the efforts you describe.

• GaoLu
    GaoLu Posts: 1,368

Takes a man, a true man of God to do that David. You have my respect.

• Dave_L
    Dave_L Posts: 2,362

I learned this along time ago on the factory floor.

I think people are like mirrors that reflect back at you. And we all have chips and cracks that reflect a distorted view of yourself. And before long, you can start seeing yourself based on the way others react to you.

So I think it is wise for us to make sure our motive for all we think, say or do is anchored in Christ's love. Then we know if the reflections others feedback to us is a true representation of ourselves or not.