“the only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is with a good guy with a gun”?

The current NRA slogan is: “the only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is with a good guy with a gun.”

But the only good guy with a gun in scripture is the Civil Magistrate and those sent by him. All the rest are bad guys. And scripture underscores how bad they are, saying “madness is in their hearts while they live” (Ecclesiastes 9:3). Even so many think the biblically insane should have any gun they want. Even ones that if used for hunting would saw a bear in half a thousand times over.

But the reality behind the slogan is, the only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is with a good guy. Those armed and ordained by God for the purpose. The Civil Magistrate.

Comments

• dct112685
    dct112685 Posts: 1,114

@Dave_L said:
    The current NRA slogan is: “the only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is with a good guy with a gun.”

But the only good guy with a gun in scripture is the Civil Magistrate and those sent by him. All the rest are bad guys. And scripture underscores how bad they are, saying “madness is in their hearts while they live” (Ecclesiastes 9:3). Even so many think the biblically insane should have any gun they want. Even ones that if used for hunting would saw a bear in half a thousand times over.

But the reality behind the slogan is, the only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is with a good guy. Those armed and ordained by God for the purpose. The Civil Magistrate.

1. I'm pretty sure nobody in Scripture has a gun.
    2. I don't think Scripture says that at all.
    3. If you want to look at it that way there actually are no good guys.
    4. Hunting has nothing to do with this discussion if you are talking about the 2nd Amendment.
    5. And yes, the only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun so it is a good thing that the Founders of this nation sought fit to arm the citizens.
  • Dave_L
    Dave_L Posts: 2,362

@davidtaylorjr said:

@Dave_L said:

1. I'm pretty sure nobody in Scripture has a gun.
    2. I don't think Scripture says that at all.
    3. If you want to look at it that way there actually are no good guys.
    4. Hunting has nothing to do with this discussion if you are talking about the 2nd Amendment.
    5. And yes, the only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun so it is a good thing that the Founders of this nation sought fit to arm the citizens.

The principles of the Civil Magistrate have not changed even if his weapons have.

• C Mc
    C Mc Posts: 4,463

The NRA has been proven wrong one again in living color by the action of Mr. Shaw did.

Waffle House shooting: Tennessee man who wrestled AR-15 away from gunman hailed as hero. "I just knew I just had to get that [gun] away from him." James Shaw Jr. said. by Kalhan Rosenblatt and The Associated Press / Apr.23.2018 / 8:18 AM ET / Updated 8:39 AM ET

"The man who wrestled an AR-15 out of the hands of a nude gunman at a Tennessee Waffle House early on Sunday morning is being hailed as a hero — even though he says he doesn't see himself that way.

James Shaw Jr., 29, said that after going to a nightclub he decided to go to a Waffle House with a friend early Sunday. But the first one he went to was too crowded, so he ended up going to another one in Nashville.

Fatefully, he ended up there just minutes before the accused gunman, Travis Reinking, 29, of Morton, Illinois, entered the restaurant and opened fire..."

"I was waiting for chance, so when I saw the barrel down I saw an opportunity, and I attacked and took it and it worked out for myself and others who were in the Waffle House at same time," Shaw said.

Shaw said it was then that they began wrestling, ignoring his own pain as he grabbed the hot barrel of the AR-15 weapon. On Sunday afternoon, his right hand was bandaged from the encounter.

It was the Lord's doing, "marvelous in our eyes!" CM