A Year of President Trump

2»

Comments

• dct112685
    dct112685 Posts: 1,114

@GaoLu said:
    David, I think Bill knows better. Once he has lost a cause he starts blowing political smoke awhile.

Yeah his version of the history of US Immigration policy is definitely interesting...

• Bill_Coley
    Bill_Coley Posts: 2,675

@davidtaylorjr said:
    My position is they are unrelated. And the statute still has nothing to do with immigration in reality. People see it as that, they associate it with it, but it actually has nothing to do with it.

You're welcome to believe that the Lazarus poem is "unrelated" to immigration, David, but I wonder how you support such a view given that, according to the link I provided in an earlier post, when asked to submit a poem to help raise money for the statue's pedestal's construction...

"Initially [Lazaraus] refused but writer Constance Cary Harrison convinced her that the statue would be of great significance to immigrants sailing into the harbor."

The article to which I linked provided the historical evidence upon which I base my position regarding both the statue - that it in time and with the poem's assistance, it became an important symbol of America's welcome of immigrants; see earlier posts for quotations - and the Lazarus poem. On what historical evidence do you base your position, David?

And while I'm at it...

@GaoLu said:
    David, I think Bill knows better. Once he has lost a cause he starts blowing political smoke awhile.

In my view, I've blown historical, not political, smoke, Gao Lu. Perhaps you'll provide us with historical evidence to support your view regarding the "political smoke" of my view of the statue and the Lazarus poem.

@davidtaylorjr said:

Yeah his version of the history of US Immigration policy is definitely interesting...

Whether my "version" of US immigration policy history is "definitely interesting," is a question that doesn't interest me. What DOES interest me, David, is whether my version of said history is accurate. I take it that you believe it's not. Fine. Please provide historical evidence to demonstrate its inaccuracy.

• dct112685
    dct112685 Posts: 1,114

@Bill_Coley said:

@davidtaylorjr said:
    My position is they are unrelated. And the statute still has nothing to do with immigration in reality. People see it as that, they associate it with it, but it actually has nothing to do with it.

You're welcome to believe that the Lazarus poem is "unrelated" to immigration, David, but I wonder how you support such a view given that, according to the link I provided in an earlier post, when asked to submit a poem to help raise money for the statue's pedestal's construction...

"Initially [Lazaraus] refused but writer Constance Cary Harrison convinced her that the statue would be of great significance to immigrants sailing into the harbor."

The article to which I linked provided the historical evidence upon which I base my position regarding both the statue - that it in time and with the poem's assistance, it became an important symbol of America's welcome of immigrants; see earlier posts for quotations - and the Lazarus poem. On what historical evidence do you base your position, David?

I said it is unrelated to immigration law or policy. Don't twist what I have said.

And while I'm at it...

@GaoLu said:

In my view, I've blown historical, not political, smoke, Gao Lu. Perhaps you'll provide us with historical evidence to support your view regarding the "political smoke" of my view of the statue and the Lazarus poem.

@davidtaylorjr said:

Whether my "version" of US immigration policy history is "definitely interesting," is a question that doesn't interest me. What DOES interest me, David, is whether my version of said history is accurate. I take it that you believe it's not. Fine. Please provide historical evidence to demonstrate its inaccuracy.

Your historical events are correct, but what they mean and how it impacts immigration policy is off.