Cremation: How Should A Christian be dealt with after death?

C_M_C_M_ Posts: 3,466
edited February 2018 in Biblical Studies

Is there something inherently pagan about cremation? Can a cremated body be in the resurrection? Must all Christians be buried? Does the Bible provide any guidance on this sensitive subject? Does the Bible opposes the practice of cremation, in view that the prophet Amos said God is angered against Moab “‘because he burned as if to lime, the bones of Edom’s king’” (Amos 2:1 NIV)? How would you counsel a grieving Christian family with a sudden death and little money for funeral and burial? CM

Tagged:

Comments

• Dave_LDave_L Posts: 2,345
    edited February 2018

I think of the martyrs burnt at the stake. Or the many who die from fire. Will this thwart God's plans for their resurrection?

• MitchellMitchell Posts: 546
    edited February 2018

Greetings CM

You have asked a really interesting question! This question is one I have never heard asked or answered before.

@C_M_ said:
    How would you counsel a grieving Christian family with a sudden death and little money for funeral and burial? CM

In Japan, 99.81% of the deceased are cremated this, of course, includes Christian who make about 1% of the population. Embalmers are very hard to find (especially outside of Tokyo) and most people do not even know that Embalming is an option that exists. In other words, only a select few are buried.

So, if someone asked me this question like you are now, I would confess that have actually never thought about this question before. In fact, in never occurred to me that cremation might be a problem.

Here some Protestant/Evangelical Christian answers from Got Questions:
    (1) https://www.gotquestions.org/cremation-Bible.html
    (2) https://www.gotquestions.org/Christian-burial.html

@Dave_L said:
    I think of the martyrs burnt at the stake. Or the many who die from fire. Will this thwart God's plans for their resurrection?

I think David L gave a very astute yet concise answer to the question.

Personally, I do not have any answers, but I will be studying this question.

@C_M_ said:
    Does the Bible opposes the practice of cremation, in view that the prophet Amos said God is angered against Moab “‘because he burned as if to lime, the bones of Edom’s king’” (Amos 2:1 NIV)?

In my opinion, if cremation were the problem we should expect to see a command or injunction against in the Torah or literature written before the events ascribed in Amos. I would say that the greater context of Amos, as well as the wording, and the diacriticals in the Masoretic text provide insight as to what the real problem or issue is at least in Amos. But, this is just my opinion at the moment, and I can see how others might come away with a different understanding. I am not dogmatic about this issue or the interpretation of Amos so my viewpoint on this verse would change if I were presented with more and or better data than the cursory quick study I have done now.

Grace and Peace!

• C_M_C_M_ Posts: 3,466

Dave's statement holds. However, let's build upon it and move the OP sightly. What is your take or attitude of donating your body or your loved-ones to science or medical school labs for students to practice surgeries? Is this a desecration or what? CM