Should all Christians be missionaries? Matthew 28:19-20

Is the directive found in Matthew 28:19-20 intended directly only for the original Disciples or for all Christians? And, why or what textual, Canonical, historical, or philosophical reasons lead you to your conclusion?

Comments

• Dave_L
    Dave_L Posts: 2,362

If the Apostles were to teach us to observe all that Christ commanded them, yes. We are to go into all the world preaching, baptizing and teaching. But each according to their gift. With the Internet, even what we say in this forum can be heard by almost anyone.

• C Mc
    C Mc Posts: 4,463

Mitch,

Rather than answer your question with the obvious, yes; I would like to comment first, on your question.

It's a very good question when properly answered, it would produce fatness to one's soul. Every biblical question should end the way this one does: "...what textual, Canonical, historical, or philosophical reasons lead you to your conclusion?" This a good ending for a take-home, mid-term, term-paper, or final exam question. The results will show skills, depth of knowledge and a cross-section of resources. It would further epitomizes the fullness of "Sola Scriptura."

On another point, do we all have the knowledge, skills, and/or resources to answer your question as asked? That is the "horse of a different color." I am sure, we (here at CD) will do the best we can, with what we have.

Textually, one would readily see that the hearer or the reader-- the subject is understood.

1. It means, "you", go.
    2. The language says, it a "commission" and a "command" out of the mouth of Jesus to his disciples then, and down through the years.
    3. All followers and believers of Christ are to go wherever he or she is to one other who's not a disciple.
    4. This passage says we all are missionaries. They are one who is sent.
    5. This going doesn't mean that all disciples must go overseas (wherever you are), to people like yourself and not. It means we must go across cultures. This may mean: across town, overseas, genders, races, another country, community or neighborhood, etc.
    6. This passage means we will not so the same thing or use the same methods, but we must all "go", and do something (as disciples) to reach others for Jesus.
    7. This passage says not only we must "go", we process a knowledge of Jesus, interact, build relationships, make friends, listen, and communicate, in order to implement the action verbs of the text.
    8. This passage requires the acute usage of "cross-cultural communications" and an inevitable "Critical Contextualization" (most effective of "Contextualization" options).

I will stop here and let others add to this good question and a much-needed reality before the return of Jesus. Blessings my brother! CM

• reformed
    reformed Posts: 3,176

@Mitchell said:
    Is the directive found in Matthew 28:19-20 intended directly only for the original Disciples or for all Christians? And, why or what textual, Canonical, historical, or philosophical reasons lead you to your conclusion?

The text is pretty clear. We are to go into the world and preach. That is a missionary. Not everyone must go to a foreign land, but you must be a missionary each day with those you come into contact with.

• Mitchell
    Mitchell Posts: 668

The text is very clear in the fact that Jesus was speaking to his immediate 11 disciples, but what feature in the text clearly and directly leads one to believe that it speaks that it applies to more than just Jesus original audience?

• @Mitchell said:
    The text is very clear in the fact that Jesus was speaking to his immediate 11 disciples, but what feature in the text clearly and directly leads one to believe that it speaks that it applies to more than just Jesus original audience?

Any word and passage receives its meaning from the context in which it is used, and an accurate understanding and interpretation must therefore be based on the context first and foremost.
    As you pointed out, the context rather clearly tells to the instruction was given to the original apostles to whom he was speaking. Thus, I believe the true understanding is that it was the apostles who were given this command. In light of the context, one must then also understand the terms used within the context ... which, for one thing, prohibits understanding the term "world" as the globe or every country in the world as we know it today. The term "world" in the Biblical context is a reference to the then known and mostly Roman empire "world".
    The words were addressed to the apostles then assembled with Jesus, and one must take into consideration that "apostle" indicates some special election and commission, equipment with a particular authority as an "envoy", which is not common to everyone (not everyone was or is an apostle).

Even just from these considerations and their true understanding, it is clear to me that the command of Jesus can NOT apply to all Christians, already for the single reason that not all Christians are apostles. I also find it interesting and rather revealing that most or even all of those who propagate that the command applies to all Christians including us today themselves are actually disobeying the command, because they are not going out into all the world and do not do what the command demands. Instead, they find all kinds of excuses and justifications, for example that "world" means something like "my surrounding", "the area or region where I live", etc. rather than understanding it as Scripture uses it. Few go out into other countries etc ... and they are at least closer to the meaning of the term as used in Scripture.

• reformed

@Mitchell said:

Verse 20 says for them to teach them to observe all the commands I have given you. One of those commands was to go make disciples, therefore the command is for all Christians.

@Wolfgang said:

@Mitchell said:

Any word and passage receives its meaning from the context in which it is used, and an accurate understanding and interpretation must therefore be based on the context first and foremost.
    As you pointed out, the context rather clearly tells to the instruction was given to the original apostles to whom he was speaking. Thus, I believe the true understanding is that it was the apostles who were given this command. In light of the context, one must then also understand the terms used within the context ... which, for one thing, prohibits understanding the term "world" as the globe or every country in the world as we know it today. The term "world" in the Biblical context is a reference to the then known and mostly Roman empire "world".
    The words were addressed to the apostles then assembled with Jesus, and one must take into consideration that "apostle" indicates some special election and commission, equipment with a particular authority as an "envoy", which is not common to everyone (not everyone was or is an apostle).

Even just from these considerations and their true understanding, it is clear to me that the command of Jesus can NOT apply to all Christians, already for the single reason that not all Christians are apostles. I also find it interesting and rather revealing that most or even all of those who propagate that the command applies to all Christians including us today themselves are actually disobeying the command, because they are not going out into all the world and do not do what the command demands. Instead, they find all kinds of excuses and justifications, for example that "world" means something like "my surrounding", "the area or region where I live", etc. rather than understanding it as Scripture uses it. Few go out into other countries etc ... and they are at least closer to the meaning of the term as used in Scripture.

See above

• C Mc
    edited May 2018

@Mitchell said:

Mitchell,
    The commission is for the then disciples and future ones. It's for one's "surrounding", "the area or region where one lives", etc., as well as to go out into other countries etc. In short, all (disciples) are to go (to another). Where? "into all the world" (Street, community, county, state, region, countries).

The point is in The One (God-calling all back to true worship/The Creator) who gave the commission (command/invitation). Also in the meaning of the word "disciples." With correct understanding, there will be a continuous multiplication of followers--a "ripple effect." It's similar to the population of the earth with humanity. "... be fruitful and multiply." God does have form a man or woman in the dust of the ground increase humanity. So it is with making disciples--"Go", "Preach", "Teach", "Baptize."

The Greek Language of the text gives additional guidance and meaning to the Great Commission of Matt 28:18-20. What say ye? CM

• Mitchell

@Wolfgang said:

I find myself in full agreement with you on the above point.

@Wolfgang said:
    I also find it interesting and rather revealing that most or even all of those who propagate that the command applies to all Christians including us today themselves are actually disobeying the command, because they are not going out into all the world and do not do what the command demands.

This is I believe a very strong point.

@C_M_ said:
    Mitchell,
    The commission is for the then disciples and future ones.

In context, I can see it was for Jesus direct disciples who later become the Apostles, however, I am still not sure how it applies to all Christians and right now I am trying to discover the logic and evidence that leads my Christians, brothers/Sisters, to believe that it is a command to all Christians.

So, far I have been told what this text is supposed to mean, but I haven't been told how the text means what it many claim it to mean.

• @Mitchell said:
    In context, I can see it was for Jesus direct disciples who later become the Apostles, however, I am still not sure how it applies to all Christians and right now I am trying to discover the logic and evidence that leads my Christians, brothers/Sisters, to believe that it is a command to all Christians.

I think that many Christians believe this way - and not only in regards to this passage but to many other passages as well - because the read the Bible at large in a way as if it were directly addressed to them and as if it had been written just yesterday. They read something about "now" and think it is about our present time "now", they read something in future tense and think that it still is future.
    Not reading correctly and not understanding the text correctly then leads to false interpretation and false application.

• reformed

@Mitchell said:

@Wolfgang said:

I find myself in full agreement with you on the above point.

@Wolfgang said:
    I also find it interesting and rather revealing that most or even all of those who propagate that the command applies to all Christians including us today themselves are actually disobeying the command, because they are not going out into all the world and do not do what the command demands.

This is I believe a very strong point.

@C_M_ said:
    Mitchell,
    The commission is for the then disciples and future ones.

So, far I have been told what this text is supposed to mean, but I haven't been told how the text means what it many claim it to mean.

Verse 20 tells the disciples to teach others to observe all that Christ commanded them. He commanded them to go and preach the Gospel, therefore, we must all do the same.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited May 2018

@reformed said:

@Mitchell said:

Verse 20 tells the disciples to teach others to observe all that Christ commanded them. He commanded them to go and preach the Gospel, therefore, we must all do the same.

Careful ... not every "all" means "all without exception", as there are things which do NOT apply to everybody but to only certain ones or everything but to certain things.
    This should be obvious, when we compare - just for one example - what Jesus commanded them in Mt 28:10 ("...Then saith Jesus unto them, Fear not: go tell my brethren that they depart into Galilee, and there shall they see me.") This is what Christ commanded them. Must we also do the same with brethren to whom we speak? Obviously not! Why? Because what Jesus commanded pertained to them, not to others, and therefore this command can not be included in the "all that Christ commanded them".
    The same is true for what Christ commanded the apostles in Mt 29:19-20 ... this is not a command which they were to pass on and command others ... why? because it did not pertain to anyone else but the apostles to whom Christ was speaking then and there.

• reformed

@Wolfgang said:

@reformed said:

@Mitchell said:

Careful ... not every "all" means "all without exception", as there are things which do NOT apply to everybody but to only certain ones or everything but to certain things.
    This should be obvious, when we compare - just for one example - what Jesus commanded them in Mt 28:10 ("...Then saith Jesus unto them, Fear not: go tell my brethren that they depart into Galilee, and there shall they see me.") This is what Christ commanded them. Must we also do the same with brethren to whom we speak? Obviously not! Why? Because what Jesus commanded pertained to them, not to others, and therefore this command can not be included in the "all that Christ commanded them".
    The same is true for what Christ commanded the apostles in Mt 29:19-20 ... this is not a command which they were to pass on and command others ... why? because it did not pertain to anyone else but the apostles to whom Christ was speaking then and there.

The word observe in the Greek has a sense of fulfillment. Your example from Mt. 28:10 wouldn't apply because it has already been fulfilled. So I believe you are wrong here.

• @reformed said:
    The word observe in the Greek has a sense of fulfillment.

???

Your example from Mt. 28:10 wouldn't apply because it has already been fulfilled. So I believe you are wrong here.

Actually, the preaching of the gospel "in all the world" has also been already fulfilled in the 1st century AD ... according to Paul (Col 1,5-6 "For the hope which is laid up for you in heaven, whereof ye heard before in the word of the truth of the gospel; 6 Which is come unto you, as [it is] in all the world; and bringeth forth fruit, as [it doth] also in you, since the day ye heard [of it], and knew the grace of God in truth:")

• reformed
    edited May 2018

@Wolfgang said:

@reformed said:
    The word observe in the Greek has a sense of fulfillment.

???

What is your question?

Your example from Mt. 28:10 wouldn't apply because it has already been fulfilled. So I believe you are wrong here.

Actually, the preaching of the gospel "in all the world" has also been already fulfilled in the 1st century AD ... according to Paul (Col 1,5-6 "For the hope which is laid up for you in heaven, whereof ye heard before in the word of the truth of the gospel; 6 Which is come unto you, as [it is] in all the world; and bringeth forth fruit, as [it doth] also in you, since the day ye heard [of it], and knew the grace of God in truth:")

But of course this cannot be what Paul meant BECAUSE we know there are tribes and nations that have never heard the Gospel. So obviously Paul must have meant something else.

proclaimed in all creation. Paul can speak of one of the conditions of the consummation of the ages, the worldwide proclamation of the gospel (v. 6; cf. Matt. 24:14; Mark 13:10), as already having been completed. Paul here is using hyperbole. Still, by aiming his ministry at the urban centers of the Roman Empire, he understood himself to be reaching the entirety of the known civilized world (Acts 19:10; Rom. 15:18–25).

R. C. Sproul, ed., The Reformation Study Bible: English Standard Version (2015 Edition) (Orlando, FL: Reformation Trust, 2015), 2123.

• C Mc

@Mitchell said:
    In context, I can see it was for Jesus direct disciples who later become the Apostles,

1. Are all disciples Apostles?
    2. Are disciples to make disciples?
    3. Why would disciples stop becoming apostles?
    4. Are the Apostles to make disciples after themselves or of Jesus?
    5. Disciples are to carry on the life, teachings, and practices of the Master, Jesus, The Christ.
    6. Why won't the Great Commission be to all disciples? What forbids this? How would the teaching of Jesus survive if its followers don't share-- multiply and divide?

however, I am still not sure how it applies to all Christians and right now I am trying to discover the logic and evidence that leads my Christians, brothers/Sisters, to believe that it is a command to all Christians.

Logic or not, any group, species or people that don't reproduce, die out. Do you know what it is be a "disciple"?

Mitch,

Have you forgotten about Hermeneutics -- the branch of knowledge that deals with interpretation, especially of the Bible or literary texts? You read out of the text, not into it.

Exegete the passage. Exegesis, though often used in conjunction with textual analysis of scripture, refers to the interpretation and analysis of any text. ... the branch of theology that deals with the principles of Biblical exegesis.

Mitch, you don't have to limit your understanding to what others say the "text is supposed to mean". You can find out for youself "how the text means what it many claim it to mean."

You have too much knowledge ("know how"), language and study skills to not know what this, clearly stated, passage means then and now! Much is given, much is required. This passage is not one of the difficult ones of the Bible. Rise up and be enlightened. CM

• reformed

@C_M_ said:

@Mitchell said:
    In context, I can see it was for Jesus direct disciples who later become the Apostles,

1. Are all disciples Apostles?

No (unless you are referring to the original 11 and Paul.

1. Are disciples to make disciples?

Yes

1. Why would disciples stop becoming apostles?

Because Apostle and Disciple are not synonymns. The NT is clear that not all are apostles.

1. Are the Apostles to make disciples after themselves or of Jesus?

Jesus

1. Disciples are to carry on the life, teachings, and practices of the Master, Jesus, The Christ.

Yes

1. Why won't the Great Commission be to all disciples? What forbids this? How would the teaching of Jesus survive if its followers don't share-- multiply and divide?

Exactly

• Mitchell

@C_M_ said:
    Have you forgotten about Hermeneutics -- the branch of knowledge that deals with interpretation, especially of the Bible or literary texts? You read out of the text, not into it.

Of, course not. I May start another thread specifically to exploring this text in a more serious exegetical and according to philology.

@C_M_ said:
    Mitch, you don't have to limit your understanding to what others say the "text is supposed to mean".

Don't worry I haven't limited my understanding to what is presented by other interpreters be they on this forum or off of it.

However, I do want to explore and understand how my brothers and sister in Christ come to their interpretative conclusions.

I do think that some great questions and issues worth concerning the passage in question were raised by Mr. Wolfgang.

And, in a nutshell, this the type of thing I was after is discussing and exploring the issue from different sides.

• C Mc

@Mitchell said:

Of, course not. I May start another thread specifically to exploring this text in a more serious exegetical and according to philology.

Mitchell,
    Inquisitive mines think alike. Shall you or shall I, start a new thread: Biblical Interpretation: Its history, types, and methods. Practical steps in getting the most out of a text. Not understanding this, is why we have what we do over the history and life of CD.

"... questions and issues worth concerning the passage in question were raised by Mr. Wolfgang.

Mr. Wolfgang's questions and issues are no great mystery. Biblical Hermeneutics will lay bear answers and truth. One's presuppositions and premises set the tone correct interpretation.

Hermeneutics is the elephant in the room, here at CD. We must not be afraid of its history and understand its principle methods and outcomes. This new thread when started needs to be broken up into sections for proper understanding. We need to "drill down" avoid these "scatter-shot" "surface-approach" remarks.

This may not be for everyone. The history of a thing is always important. Things just don't happen, appears, or practice in a vacuum. There are causes or reason; what is, is.

Wherein CD gives one everyone freedom to engage and participate, we are not to become slaves to that freedom. There must be rules, discipline, and order in our sharing. We must be able to identify truth and facts, in contrast, to opinions; even if we don't accept it. I remain. CM