CNN Guns Town Hall - Appalling

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/mattvespa/2018/02/22/cnn-town-hall-n2452539

These video clips are a perfect example of emotions overtaking logic. These people are in no position or state of mind to have a national platform right now.

CNN should be ashamed of themselves for this spectacle of using people who are hurting as political pawns. They are puppets in the Anti-Gun Lobby's hands.

They are uneducated on the issues, they are uneducated about guns, they are uneducated about mental health.

This is insanity.

Comments

• Dave_L
    Dave_L Posts: 2,362

If they want assault weapons banned, how is it any different from not wanting other means of mass killing banned from private arsenals? Nuclear weapons? Etc.

• Bill_Coley
    Bill_Coley Posts: 2,675

I thought the CNN townhall was gripping, compelling television. Broken, wounded students and faculty finding strength and resolve in each other's company and in the truth of their common aims.

I thought Senator Marco Rubio exhibited great personal character by his decision to participate in the event, though he had every reason to expect that his views on guns would generate strongly negative reactions (which they did). While in my view, his responses were often overmatched by the combination of the emotion and authenticity of the crowd's demands for action, I give him credit for participating and listening to people who wanted much more from him than he was/is willing to give.

@davidtaylorjr said
    These video clips are a perfect example of emotions overtaking logic. These people are in no position or state of mind to have a national platform right now.

David, I think you've found a new way of telling us that it's "too soon" to talk about guns. We all know it's ALWAYS "too soon" to talk about guns, but hearing that message in new ways adds freshness to the national debate. Thanks.

With due respect, however, I disagree with your view that "these people are in no position or state of mind to have a national platform right now." The students spoke with confidence and calm, for the most part. They asked legitimate questions and reacted to inadequate responses in ways we'd expect wounded and dissatisfied people to react.

And what's the alternative to the affected community's having a national platform right now? The status quo's having the national platform right now. Ergo, our continuing to do NOTHING to address our problem of mass shootings.

I get that you, David, and those who see these issues as you do don't want anything done. But to those hurting kids, their hurting community, and to a large percentage of their fellow Americans, doing NOTHING has done NOTHING to address the problem. Hence, doing NOTHING is no longer an option.

Even President Trump - at least for today... until he changes his mind in a future tweet and denies that he ever said any of the things he said today - seems to want to do SOMETHING. Strengthened (universal?) background checks, increased attention to mental health issues in the gun acquisition process, and a ban on bump stocks would be SOMETHING if actually passed and signed into law. Of course, doing SOMETHING would be more than doing NOTHING, so some in the country would object, but the vast majority of Americans would applaud... then resume their fight more change.

@davidtaylorjr said
    CNN should be ashamed of themselves for this spectacle of using people who are hurting as political pawns. They are puppets in the Anti-Gun Lobby's hands.

They are uneducated on the issues, they are uneducated about guns, they are uneducated about mental health.

This is insanity.

I think it's disrespectful of those students, their faculty members, school administrators, and sheriff who spoke, for you to label them "uneducated" "political pawns" and "puppets." I thought they asked smart questions and sought to hold their leaders accountable for their actions. That's not "insanity." That's a major media outlet creating an opportunity for people to make their themselves and their concerns heard (an opportunity the NRA took, we should note, but not President Trump or Florida Governor Scott)

• dct112685
    dct112685 Posts: 1,114

@Bill_Coley said:
    I thought the CNN townhall was gripping, compelling television. Broken, wounded students and faculty finding strength and resolve in each other's company and in the truth of their common aims.

That is not at all what was on that disgraceful display last night.

I thought Senator Marco Rubio exhibited great personal character by his decision to participate in the event, though he had every reason to expect that his views on guns would generate strongly negative reactions (which they did). While in my view, his responses were often overmatched by the combination of the emotion and authenticity of the crowd's demands for action, I give him credit for participating and listening to people who wanted much more from him than he was/is willing to give.

@davidtaylorjr said

David, I think you've found a new way of telling us that it's "too soon" to talk about guns. We all know it's ALWAYS "too soon" to talk about guns, but hearing that message in new ways adds freshness to the national debate. Thanks.

The problem is guns are not the issue. Guns are not the problem. But you never want to focus on the actual problems.

With due respect, however, I disagree with your view that "these people are in no position or state of mind to have a national platform right now." The students spoke with confidence and calm, for the most part. They asked legitimate questions and reacted to inadequate responses in ways we'd expect wounded and dissatisfied people to react.

And what's the alternative to the affected community's having a national platform right now? The status quo's having the national platform right now. Ergo, our continuing to do NOTHING to address our problem of mass shootings.

I get that you, David, and those who see these issues as you do don't want anything done. But to those hurting kids, their hurting community, and to a large percentage of their fellow Americans, doing NOTHING has done NOTHING to address the problem. Hence, doing NOTHING is no longer an option.

They want the wrong things done. They are focusing on everything except the problem.

Even President Trump - at least for today... until he changes his mind in a future tweet and denies that he ever said any of the things he said today - seems to want to do SOMETHING. Strengthened (universal?) background checks, increased attention to mental health issues in the gun acquisition process, and a ban on bump stocks would be SOMETHING if actually passed and signed into law. Of course, doing SOMETHING would be more than doing NOTHING, so some in the country would object, but the vast majority of Americans would applaud... then resume their fight more change.

@davidtaylorjr said

This is insanity.

I think it's disrespectful of those students, their faculty members, school administrators, and sheriff who spoke, for you to label them "uneducated" "political pawns" and "puppets." I thought they asked smart questions and sought to hold their leaders accountable for their actions. That's not "insanity." That's a major media outlet creating an opportunity for people to make their themselves and their concerns heard (an opportunity the NRA took, we should note, but not President Trump or Florida Governor Scott)

I'm sorry if you think that is disrespectful but it is reality. They ARE uneducated on the issues. They ARE uneducated about guns. They ARE uneducated about mental health. If you listened to the ridiculous filth they spewed out last night you realize this in a heartbeat.

They asked questions but had no intentions of listening to the answers. And you slam President Trump, he DID take the opportunity to listen, and was much more productive, in case you didn't notice. I'll post the video below as proof.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?441479-1/president-trump-meets-students-teachers-florida-shooting

This was a real discussion, not an anti-gun rally using political puppetry while feeding on pain and emotion.

• Bill_Coley
    Bill_Coley Posts: 2,675

@davidtaylorjr said:
    That is not at all what was on that disgraceful display last night.

We disagree.

The problem is guns are not the issue. Guns are not the problem. But you never want to focus on the actual problems.

Here's my challenge to you, David: Take away all guns from last week's shooter. What are the chances (percentage wise) 17 people would still have died, and several others would still have been injured by his actions? If guns are not the problem - well, a significant part of the problem; no one thing is THE problem - then I'm thinking you'll say the chances were pretty close to 100% that he would have killed and wounded as many as he did.

They want the wrong things done. They are focusing on everything except the problem.

Please tell us: What is "the problem."

I'm sorry if you think that is disrespectful but it is reality. They ARE uneducated on the issues. They ARE uneducated about guns. They ARE uneducated about mental health. If you listened to the ridiculous filth they spewed out last night you realize this in a heartbeat.

Something tells me you're not THAT "sorry" if I think your "uneducated" meme is disrespectful.

They asked questions but had no intentions of listening to the answers. And you slam President Trump, he DID take the opportunity to listen, and was much more productive, in case you didn't notice. I'll post the video below as proof.

I was impressed by the president's performance yesterday. Did you see the image one of the press pool photographers captured? White House staffers condensed his talking points to an index card! (the image is legit)

I just hope he remembered to come on strong with that "I hear you" closer!