Armageddon comes in two phases...
Most have not yet gained the understanding that Armageddon begins as a Spiritual Event and then Ends as a Literal One. The Last Days are cut short in the sense that Gog of Magog's Attack on God's Named People are stifled and held in check, and 'they will not cause any harm or any ruin in all my holy mountain'. (Isaiah 11:9) This EVENT could very well last 1,000 years while Satan and his demons are put in a deathlike state of inactivity. ARMAGEDDON is the beginning of Christ’s Millennial Reign. The Great Crowd enters“ the times of restoration of all things” that expands to include physical blessings for faithful humans on earth. These one's keep on living as they come out of the Last Days as Survivors. The wicked continue getting sick, growing old, and continue dying off. Their death is no longer a temporary death, but rather a permanent one called the second death of an everlasting destruction. Like Sodom and Gomorrah which was destroyed... those dying are destroyed forever never to return to Life.
One should note, that before the cry of "Peace and Security!" can happen, Jesus has already judged the living. Therefore, this demonic cry is a 'timed event'. The time of REPENTANCE for the living has ended. "Whenever it is that they are saying, “Peace and security!” then sudden destruction is to be instantly on them, just like birth pains on a pregnant woman, and they will by no means escape." (1 Thess 5:3) Satan will witness the destruction of Babylon the Great with Frantic Rage as the Great Tribulation begins. It's at that very moment Jesus will act. "And I saw an angel coming down out of heaven with the key of the abyss and a great chain in his hand. He seized the dragon, the original serpent, who is the Devil and Satan, and bound him for 1,000 years."
Then comes the removal of Satan's system of things which is symbolized by crushing, smashing, and fire meaning that it is being destroyed by everlasting destruction, never to be rebuilt. Even though many have claimed in the past that (Daniel 2:44) began in 1914. It has not. This scripture actually points to the destruction of Satan's Earthly Kingdoms, the beginning of the first phase of Armageddon.
"And I will put enmity between you and the woman and between your offspring and her offspring. He will crush your head, and you will strike him in the heel.” (Genesis 3:15) The crushing of Satan's head that the Glorified Jesus Christ does, is a deathlike blow of inactivity for the 1,000 years for Satan and his demons of being abyssed.
As for the second phase of Armageddon, it too is a 'timed event'. Once Jesus and the 144,000 bring mankind including those resurrected to perfection as Adam and Eve had in the Garden of Eden prior to sinning. Perfect Mankind will have the Opportunity to prove their Loyalty to Jehovah in a Perfect State. It is at this time, Jesus hands the Kingdom back to his God and Father before the Final Test.
- Next, the end, when he hands over the Kingdom to his God and Father, when he has brought to nothing all government and all authority and power. (1 Cor 15:24)
- Now as soon as the 1,000 years have ended, Satan will be released from his prison, (Rev 20:7)
- and he will go out to mislead those nations in the four corners of the earth, Gog and Maʹgog, to gather them together for the war. The number of these is as the sand of the sea. (Rev 20:8)
The second Phase of Armageddon will be literal for all to see and witness. But who is the one that will be destroying Satan, his demons and his supporters? JEHOVAH.
- And they advanced over the whole earth and encircled the camp of the holy ones and the beloved city. But fire came down out of heaven and consumed them. (Rev 20:9)
- And the Devil who was misleading them was hurled into the lake of fire and sulfur, where both the wild beast and the false prophet already were; and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever. (Rev 20:10)