Cults, Sects, Sinners, and Who Gets Saved

TruthTruth Posts: 521

Let's not divide the pizza meaninglessly, but in general:

1. What is a sect?
  2. What is a cult?
  3. Who can be saved?

Exact answers aren't the purpose of this post. The purpose is to think about who God saves. For example, if God once saved a thief on a cross, might He save a JW? Morman, Catholic? Amish? Southern Baptist? Methodist? Pentecostal? (sorry, if I left your cult, sect, or church out)

This is not intended to be caustic or pointed, but to discuss a real point of consideration. Is it ours to bother judging or even evaluate who might be saved despite deceit, wicked practice, or horrible theology? Is it ours to warmly move the hearts of any and all toward God, leaving all judgments and criticisms up to Him? When do we defend the truth of the Gospel--ever?

Comments

• Every person has redemption offered to them, but it is their choice and decision to accept the redemption offered to them.

I have a question for you; if the darkness within the person is extra-ordinarily great, how is it the person(s) can be redeemed from the life of evil they willingly chose?

And if the person(s) willingly chose the life and committed the crimes for which they should be condemned is God merciful or unjust?

• C McC Mc Posts: 4,425

Thanks @Whake Atuari for joining CD. Your questions are most valuable and valid. You appear to be a deep and sober thinker.

@Whake Atuari said:

Every person has redemption offered to them, but it is their choice and decision to accept the redemption offered to them.

@C Mc responds: This is absolutely right (John 3:16; 2 peter 3:9: Matt. 9:13). Salvation is offered to all and all must respond to accept or reject. Failure to choose is to have chosen.

@Whake Atuari said:

I have a question for you; if the darkness within the person is extra-ordinarily great, how is it the person(s) can be redeemed from the life of evil they willingly chose?

@C Mc responds:

1.     Through God providential workings (nature, circumstances, events, miracles situations, etc.)

2.     God reached people through human instrumentality (prophets—a mouthpiece), visions, dreams, defiance of nature laws, etc.).

3.     The Holy Spirit. I am not talking of a figure of speech or “an influence”. A Divine being is what I speak. I hope you’re not having belief issues here. If so, please note: The Holy Spirit leads, guides, convicts, and converts one into all truth. Yet, God doesn’t force anyone to do anything, even the right thing. The Bible and the Holy Spirit testify about Jesus (John 5:3915:26). 

4.     The Holy Spirit is of the Godhead:

·       He is our teacher and comforter (John 16:7:13).

·       He prays for us (Rom. 8:26--27).

·       He has power (Rom 15:19)

·       He speaks (Rev. 2:7)

·       He can be lied to (Acts 5:8)

·       Insulted (Heb. 10:29)

·       Grieved (Eph. 4:30)        

Furthermore, the Bible reflects The Holy Spirit's doings and being:  

• Romans 8:26 -- “We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans” (NIV).
    • 1 Timothy 4:1 -- The Spirit clearly says that in later times some will abandon the faith and follow deceiving spirits and things taught by demons” (NIV).
    • Hebrews 3:7 -- “So, as the Holy Spirit says: ‘Today, if you hear his voice,...” (NIV).
    • Hebrews 10:1517 -- “The Holy Spirit also testifies to us about this. First he says. . . . Then he adds: . . .” (NIV). 

The Holy Spirit According to Scripture:

----- 1. Speak (Acts 8:29)

----- 2. Teach (John 14:26)

----- 3. Bear witness (John 15:26)

----- 4. Intercede on behalf of others (Rom 8:26-27)

----- 5. Distribute gifts to others (1 Cor 12:11)

----- 6. To forbid or allow certain things (Acts 16:6-7). 

----- 7. According to Ephesians 4:30, the Holy Spirit can also be grieved by people.

@Whake Atuari said:

And if the person(s) willingly chose the life and committed the crimes for which they should be condemned is God merciful or unjust?

@C Mc responds: God is gracious and merciful, but He will not go against one’s desired will. Man was made a free moral agent. We are NOT robots or automatons. We have the freedom of choice to choose (to be save or to be lost). That is -- reject God’s offer of salvation, grace, mercy, and redemption -- to be lost eternally.

In short, we have the freedom to choose God or to reject Him and anything He offers. Yes, the created (man) can reject the Creator! I hope this helps. CM