The Hidden Treasure of John 1:1

The truth about John 1:1 has been long hidden from the masses. Why is learning this scripture vital to your spiritual health? Because words matter! In Greek there are two different words for God. Also, using a definite article emphasizes the subject spoken about. First instance is ton theon which means the God and the second instance is theos which means a god.

How does John 1:1 read with a literal translation?

“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with the God, and a god was the Word.”

Jesus is never referred to as the theon because Jesus was begotten and came into existence. Therefore, the Apostle John used the nominative title theos which means a god referring to the Word’s divinity and godlike qualities.

• 1975 “and a god (or, of a divine kind) was the Word” – Das Evangelium nach Johnnes, by Siegfried Schulz, Göttingen, Germany
  • 1978: “and godlike sort was the Logos” – Das Evangelium nach Johannes, by Johannes Schneider, Berlin

Free eBook...

Visit JW.org to get Spiritual and Accurate Answers to Your Questions. Bible transliterated into over 120 languages.

Comments

• TruthTruth Posts: 521

Pseudo-Christians such as self-proclaimed "Jehovah's Witnesses" latch onto an obscure meaning of an English word translated from Greek to build a case that supports a cult false teaching. The book above is an example of such distortion.

https://www.gotquestions.org/only-begotten-son.html

• PagesPages Posts: 130

@BroRando

In Greek there are two different words for God.

Which two words? 

• How can literal translation of John 1:1 "“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with the God, and a god was the Word.” be correct ? (contradicts Isaiah 44:6-11 there is NO god beside יהוה Yahweh, the king of Israel, and its redeemer, יהוה Yahweh of hosts)

Isaiah 44:6-11 (LEB) => Thus says יהוה Yahweh, the king of Israel, and its redeemer, יהוה Yahweh of hosts: “I am the first, and I am the last, and there is no god besides me. And who is like me? Let him proclaim it! And let him declare it and set it in order for me since I established an eternal people and things that are to come, and let them tell them the things that are coming. You must not tremble, and you must not be paralyzed with fear. Have I not made you hear from of old and declared it, and you are my witnesses? Is there a god besides me? And there is no rock! I know none!” All those who form an idol are nothing, and their delightful things do not profit. And their witnesses do not see or know, so they will be ashamed. Who would form a god and cast an image of which he cannot profit? Look! all his companions shall be ashamed, and the artisans are human! Let all of them assemble; let them stand up. They shall tremble; they shall be ashamed together.

Why did the Jewish Rabbi Jesus command Jewish disciples of Jesus to be believing in Jesus the same as believing in The God ?

πιστεύετε εἰς τὸν θεόν, καὶ εἰς ἐμὲ πιστεύετε

Holmes, M. W. (2011–2013). The Greek New Testament: SBL Edition (Jn 14:1). Lexham Press; Society of Biblical Literature. 

Be Ye Believing in The God, also in Me Be Ye Believing (my literal translation showing continuous believing action command in present time)

Keep Smiling 😊

• C McC Mc Posts: 4,404

Thanks, @Truth,

Necessity demands that I take the liberty to lift out two high point from the source cited above on the greek word "monogenes" translated in English as "only begotten" @BroRando and others to see:

As stated according to the Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and Other Early Christian Literature (BAGD, 3rd Edition), monogenes has two primary definitions.

The first definition is "pertaining to being the only one of its kind within a specific relationship."

• This is its meaning in Hebrews 11:17 when the writer refers to Isaac as Abraham’s "only begotten son" (KJV).
    • Abraham had more than one son, but Isaac was the only son he had by Sarah and the only son of the covenant.
    • Therefore, it is the uniqueness of Isaac among the other sons that allows for the use of monogenes in that context.

The second definition is "pertaining to being the only one of its kind or class, unique in kind."

• This is the meaning that is implied in John 3:16 (see also John 1:14183:181 John 4:9).
    • John was primarily concerned with demonstrating that Jesus is the Son of God (John 20:31), and he uses monogenes to highlight Jesus as uniquely God’s Son—sharing the same divine nature as God—as opposed to believers who are God’s sons and daughters by adoption (Ephesians 1:5).
    • Jesus is God’s “one and only” Son.

What a great truth to enlightened darkened minds. CM

• "For even though there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth, just as there are many “gods” and many “lords,” there is actually to us one God, the Father, from whom all things are and we for him; and there is one Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom all things are and we through him." (1 Corinthians 8:5-6)

"Do not let your hearts be troubled. Exercise faith in God; exercise faith ALSO in me." (John 14:1)

"the Father is Greater than I am." (John 14:28)

Visit JW.org to get Spiritual and Accurate Answers to Your Questions. Bible transliterated into over 120 languages.

• TruthTruth Posts: 521

And yet, in the next breath, @BroRando claims YHWH is one God and Jesus is another. This seems to be a case of an emperor (Watchtower) running around with no clothes and a lot of slaves who dare not admit the shameful thing they observe.

• Repeating ?: How can literal translation of John 1:1 "“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with the God, and a god was the Word.” be correct ? (contradicts Isaiah 44:6-11 there is NO god beside יהוה Yahweh, the king of Israel, and its redeemer, יהוה Yahweh of hosts)

Curious what question was being answered by 1 Corinthians 8:5-6 snippet ? (different than my literal translation of John 1:1 question)

Concerning food sacrificed to idols is the focus of 1 Corinthians 8:1-13 (LEB) => Now concerning food sacrificed to idols, we know that “we all have knowledge.” Knowledge puffs up, but love builds up. If anyone thinks he knows anything, he has not yet known as it is necessary to know. But if anyone loves אלהים God, this one is known by him. Therefore, concerning the eating of food sacrificed to idols, we know that “an idol is nothing in the world” and that “there is no אלהים God except one.” For even if after all there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth, just as there are many gods and many lords, yet to us there is one אלהים God, the Father, from whom are all things, and we are for him, and there is one יהוה Lord, Jesus Christ, through whom are all things, and we are through him. But this knowledge is not in everyone. But some, being accustomed until now to the idol, eat this food as food sacrificed to idols, and their conscience, because it is weak, is defiled. But food does not bring us close to אלהים God. For neither if we eat do we have more, nor if we do not eat do we lack. But watch out lest somehow this right of yours becomes a cause for stumbling to the weak. For if someone should see you who has knowledge reclining for a meal in an idol’s temple, will not his conscience, because it is weak, be strengthened so that he eats the food sacrificed to idols? For the one who is weak — the brother for whom Christ died — is destroyed by your knowledge. Now if you sin in this way against the brothers and wound their conscience, which is weak, you sin against Christ. Therefore, if food causes my brother to sin, I will never eat meat forever, in order that I may not cause my brother to sin.

John 10:22-42 (LEB) => Then the feast of the Dedication took place in Jerusalem. It was winter, and Jesus was walking in the temple in the Portico of Solomon. So the Jews surrounded him and began to say to him, “How long will you keep us in suspense? If you are the Christ, tell us plainly!” Jesus answered them, “I told you and you do not believe! The deeds that I do in the name of my Father, these testify about me. But you do not believe, because you are not of my sheep! My sheep listen to my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. And I give them eternal life, and they will never perish forever, and no one will seize them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one can seize them from the Father’s hand. The Father and I are one.” Then the Jews picked up stones again so that they could stone him. Jesus answered them, “I have shown you many good deeds from the Father. For which one of them are you going to stone me?” The Jews answered him, “We are not going to stone you concerning a good deed, but concerning blasphemy, and because you, although you are a man, make yourself to be God!” Jesus answered them, “Is it not written in your law, ‘I said, “You are gods” ’? If he called them ‘gods’ to whom the word of God came—and the scripture cannot be broken—do you say about he whom the Father set apart and sent into the world, ‘You are blaspheming,’ because I said, ‘I am the Son of God’? If I do not do the deeds of my Father, do not believe me. But if I am doing them, even if you do not believe me, believe the deeds, so that you may know and understand that the Father is in me and I am in the Father.” So they were seeking again to seize him, and he departed out of their hand. And he went away again on the other side of the Jordan, to the place where John was baptizing at an earlier time, and he stayed there. And many came to him and began to say, “John performed no sign, but everything John said about this man was true!” And many believed in him there.

Personally amazed by Jewish religious leaders recognizing deity expression by יהוה Jesus while refusing to believe Jesus is יהוה Lord. Every human chooses what to Believe & Love most.

Keep Smiling 😊

• Which one is Jesus? "No man has seen theon at any time; the only-begotten theos who is at the Father’s side is the one who has explained Him." (John 1:18) Proverbs 8:30

Theon or the only-begotten theos? You have a 50/50 chance of getting the right answer, otherwise the Scriptures will remain hidden from you.

• Brother RandoBrother Rando Posts: 675
    edited January 1

Don't you know that Jehovah's Spirit Sons are called gods? John 1:18

the only-begotten god: John is here referring to the Word, “Jesus Christ,” whom he earlier calls “a god.” (Joh 1:1, 17) John speaks of Jesus as being the only-begotten Son of God. (Joh 1:14; 3:16)

In this passage, John calls Jesus “the only-begotten god,” a term that emphasizes Jesus’ unique position in God’s arrangement. Jesus can rightly be called “a god” because of the way the term “god” is used in the Bible. This title conveys the basic idea of a mighty one, and it is even used of humans in the Scriptures. (Ps 82:6; see study notes on Joh 1:1; 10:34.)

Jesus is “a god,” or a mighty one, because he is given power and authority from the almighty God, the Father. (Mt 28:18; 1Co 8:6; Heb 1:2) Because Jesus is the only one directly created by God and the only one through whom all things “came into existence” (Joh 1:3), he is appropriately called “the only-begotten god.” This expression shows that Jesus holds a unique position of glory and preeminence in relation to all of God’s spirit sons.

Jesus is called Mighty God and Angel of Counsel, but he's not the Alimghty God. Only Jehovah alone is the God of gods...

Joshua 22:22

“The God of gods, Jehovah! The God of gods, Jehovah! He knows, and Israel will also know. If we were rebellious and unfaithful to Jehovah, do not spare us this day.

• @Keep_Smiling_4_Jesus The Jews answered him, “We are not going to stone you concerning a good deed, but concerning blasphemy, and because you, although you are a man, make yourself to be God!

Trinitarians quote the wicked jewish leaders stating the false accusation that Jesus was making himself equal to God. Trinitarians reject Jesus response at (John 10:34-36) so as did the wicked jewish leaders as a whole.  

Notice what Greek term they used in (John 10:33)? Only those who had intense hatred towards the Christ would use  Theon  https://biblehub.com/interlinear/john/10-33.htm

• PagesPages Posts: 130

@BroRando

Notice what Greek term they used in (John 10:33)? Only those who had intense hatred towards the Christ would use Theon  https://biblehub.com/interlinear/john/10-33.htm

Why would the use of "Theon" as you state above show "intense hatred towards the Christ"? There is nothing evil to be found in the utilization, or understanding, of proper Greek grammar. 

Though perhaps John ought to have written that the crowd said ...because you a god (theos) make yourself God (theon) – okay, in all seriousness now – both yourself and theon in the verse are objects of the verb make (ποιεῖς). Hence the use of the accusative case.

I could hope that one day the realization of how the different Greek cases function within their grammar will become apparent.

In the meantime, here is an analytical chart of the forms of θεός:

Forms of θεός

Θεέ     NVSM(1)    θεός

θεέ    NVSM(1)    θεός

Θεοί    NNPM(1)    θεός

θεοὶ    NNPM(4)    θεός

θεοῖς    NDPM(3)    θεός

Θεὸν    NASM(1)     θεός

Θεόν    NASM(1)    θεός

θεόν    NASM(96)    θεός

θεὸν    NASM(123) NASF(1)    θεός

Θεὸς    NNSM(1)    θεός

θεός    NNSM(98)    θεός

θεὸς    NNSM(289)    θεός

θεού    NGSM(1)    θεός

Θεοῦ    NGSM(4)    θεός

θεοῦ    NGSM(1077)    θεός

θεοὺ    NGSM(1)    θεός

θεοὺς    NAPM(4)    θεός

θεούς    NAPM(2)    θεός

θεῷ    NDSM(295)    θεός

θεῶν    NGPM(2)    θεός

ΘΕΩ  (WH)   NDSM(1)    θεός

(2011). In The Lexham Analytical Lexicon to the Greek New Testament. Logos Bible Software.

By the way, I'm still hoping for an answer to my first question in this thread.

In Greek there are two different words for God.

Which two words? 

• Repeating ?: How can literal translation of John 1:1 "“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with the God, and a god was the Word.” be correct ? (contradicts Isaiah 44:6-11 there is NO god beside יהוה Yahweh, the king of Israel, and its redeemer, יהוה Yahweh of hosts)

Ongoing curiosity is wondering what @BroRando questions are being answered by @BroRando ? (challenging to humanly discuss unstated @BroRando questions)

@BroRando January 1 Which one is Jesus? "No man has seen theon at any time; the only-begotten theos who is at the Father’s side is the one who has explained Him." (John 1:18Proverbs 8:30

Theon or the only-begotten theos? You have a 50/50 chance of getting the right answer, otherwise the Scriptures will remain hidden from you.

Question "Theon or the only-begotten theos?" is puzzling (as is Proverbs 8:30 following John 1:18). Probability chance does not apply to humans who willfully choose what to believe and love most.

John 1:14-18 (SBLGNT) => Καὶ ὁ λόγος σὰρξ ἐγένετο καὶ ἐσκήνωσεν ἐν ἡμῖν, καὶ ἐθεασάμεθα τὴν δόξαν αὐτοῦ, δόξαν ὡς μονογενοῦς παρὰ πατρός, πλήρης χάριτος καὶ ἀληθείας· (Ἰωάννης μαρτυρεῖ περὶ αὐτοῦ καὶ κέκραγεν λέγων· Οὗτος ἦν ὃν εἶπον· Ὁ ὀπίσω μου ἐρχόμενος ἔμπροσθέν μου γέγονεν, ὅτι πρῶτός μου ἦν·) ὅτι ἐκ τοῦ πληρώματος αὐτοῦ ἡμεῖς πάντες ἐλάβομεν, καὶ χάριν ἀντὶ χάριτος· ὅτι ὁ νόμος διὰ Μωϋσέως ἐδόθη, ἡ χάρις καὶ ἡ ἀλήθεια διὰ Ἰησοῦ Χριστοῦ ἐγένετο. θεὸν οὐδεὶς ἑώρακεν πώποτε· μονογενὴς θεὸς ὁ ὢν εἰς τὸν κόλπον τοῦ πατρὸς ἐκεῖνος ἐξηγήσατο.

John 1:14-18 (LEB with Hebrew word usually translated: אלהים as God) => And the Word became flesh and took up residence among us, and we saw his glory, glory as of the one and only from the Father, full of grace and truth. John testified about him and cried out, saying, “This one was he about whom I said, ‘The one who comes after me is ahead of me, because he existed before me.’ ” For from his fullness we have all received, and grace after grace. For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came about through Jesus Christ. No one has seen אלהים God at any time; the one and only, אלהים God, the one who is in the bosom of the Father — that one has made him known.

Hebrew word אלהים is plural, which is a minimum of three. Hebrew language nouns have three spelling options: singular, dual, & plural. What is plural in One unique אלהים God ?

Searching Society of Biblical Literature Greek New Testament (SBLGNT) for <Lemma = lbs/el/μονογενής> finds John used this Greek word five times: John 1:14, John 1:18, John 3:16, John 3:18, and 1 John 4:9

Searching LXX Swete for <Lemma = lbs/el/μονογενής> finds nine verses in Greek Septuagint, which includes one in Odes 14:1-46 (Lexham English Septuagint with Hebrew words for usually translated: אלהים as God and יהוה as Lord) => Morning hymn. Glory to אלהים God in the highest, and on earth peace, goodwill to mankind. We praise you; we honor you; we worship you; we glorify you; we are thankful to you because of your great glory, יהוה Lord King, O heaven, אלהים God, Father Almighty, יהוה Lord, only begotten Son Jesus Christ, and Holy Spirit. יהוה Lord אלהים God, Lamb of אלהים God, the Son of the Father, the one who removes the sins of the world, show us mercy. The one who removes the sins of the world, have mercy on us. Accept our petition, the one who sits at the right hand of the Father; show us mercy, because you alone are holy, you are alone יהוה Lord, Jesus Christ, to the glory of אלהים God the father. Amen. Through each day, I will honor you, and I will praise your name forever and through all eternity. May you consider us worthy, יהוה Lord, even this day that we might be kept blameless. Blessed are you, יהוה Lord אלהים God of our ancestors, and worthy of praise and glorified is your name forever. Amen. Blessed are you, יהוה Lord, teach me your precepts; Blessed are you, יהוה Lord, teach me your precepts; Blessed are you, יהוה Lord, teach me your precepts; יהוה Lord, you have become our refuge from generation to generation. I said, “יהוה Lord, show us mercy. Heal my soul because I sinned against you. יהוה Lord, I flee for refuge toward you, Teach me to do your will because you are my אלהים God, Because from you is a spring of life, In your light, we will see light, May you extend your compassion to those who know you.”

Keep Smiling 😊

• the_MadJwthe_MadJw Posts: 56

The TRUE "Pseudo-Christians" are so haughty they can't see the Truth in God's Word.

They prefer the Popular Teaching of the Major Cults. Such as above.'

Do you REALLY believe that Jesus taught THAT?

themadjw.weebly.com

253-652-4443

And yet Jehovah Himself called OTHERS "God"- including His angels and his human spokesmen.

Such was the case of Ex 7:1- And Jehovah said to Moses, See, I have made thee God to Pharaoh; and Aaron thy brother shall be thy prophet. - Darby

In this case we have God and His prophets, which in this case, HE called "God".

themadjw.weebly.com

253-652-4443

• @the_MadJw May 30 And yet Jehovah Himself called OTHERS "God"- including His angels and his human spokesmen.

Please provide example(s) of יהוה Yahweh using "God" to describe His angels. I agree about Exodus 7 "a god" describing one human spokesperson, Moses, with "a god" audience of one human, Pharaoh (for the purpose of יהוה Yahweh's wrath to be experienced in Egypt, which included the death of Pharaoh).

Exodus 7:1-5 LEB And יהוה Yahweh said to Moses, “See, I have made you as a god to Pharaoh, and Aaron your brother will be your prophet. You will speak all that I will command you, and Aaron your brother will speak to Pharaoh, and he will release the Israelites from his land. And I myself will harden the heart of Pharaoh, and I will make my signs and my wonders numerous in the land of Egypt. And Pharaoh will not listen to you, and I will put my hand into Egypt and bring out my divisions, my people, the Israelites, from the land of Egypt with great punishments. And the Egyptians will know that I am יהוה Yahweh when I stretch out my hand over Egypt and bring the Israelites out from their midst.”

Repeating ?: How can literal translation of John 1:1 "“In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with the God, and a god was the Word.” be correct ? (contradicts Isaiah 44:6-11 there is NO god beside יהוה Yahweh, the king of Israel, and its redeemer, יהוה Yahweh of hosts)

Keep Smiling 😊

"as" not in the Hebrew.

Just elohim.

GOD!

themadjw.weebly.com

253-652-4443