Muller report ... what happened?

2»

Comments

• Bill_Coley
    Bill_Coley Posts: 2,675

@reformed said:

Doesn't really bother me. Most of these "felons" are for process crimes not real dirty work.

You offer a refrain common among the president's supporters. The problem is tax and bank fraud are not "process crimes." Witness intimidation is not a "process crime." Perjury/making false statements to Congress or law enforcement is, I suppose, in some sense a "process crime," but the "process" affected is the process of our justice system.

Your claim minimizes the value and necessity of truth in our system. But our system relies on truth-telling more than anything else for its pursuit of justice, so that the guilty are held accountable and the not guilty are not wrongly punished. When people lie to courts or to Congress or to the FBI, they harm our pursuit of justice, which in my view is about as "dirty" a work as one can do in our system.

That being said, you keep talking about the thousands of lies of Trump. I contest quite a few of those as not real lies. WaPo twists things A LOT.

Another of your common refrains. More precisely, another claim you make frequently but prove never. So please show your work: You say you "contest quite a few" of the WaPo's list of the president's false and misleading claims. Take a step toward demonstrating your claim that the paper "twists things A LOT" by citing and disproving any two items from their list. [You've not been willing to do this when I challenged you before, so I don't expect you to do it now. After all, the White House never challenges any of the paper's items, and we both know why: The paper's claims are accurate. If they weren't, Trump would be out in the Rose Garden basking in the glow of his presentation of the paper's errors. But he never does... because he can't.]

I have to add there's an disquieting symmetry between your labeling perjury a "process crime," your skepticism about fact checkers, and the president's serial mendacity: All three show low regard for truth.

• reformed
    reformed Posts: 3,176

ad hominem

Plus, I have tackled the WaPo list before if I am not mistaken.

• Bill_Coley
    Bill_Coley Posts: 2,675

@reformed said:

ad hominem.

Ad hominem arguments are about people, not their points of view. My last post critiqued what I called your "refrain" that the felonies committed by people in the president's orbit are "process crimes," and your "refrain" that the WaPo "twists things A LOT." Those "refrains" expressed your point of view on those matters. Hence, no ad hominem.

Your ad hominem protest did accomplish one outcome, however: It allowed you to evade the central point of my previous response: that the "process crimes" refrain "minimizes the value and necessity of truth in our system."

Plus, I have tackled the WaPo list before if I am not mistaken.

In the most relevant post of yours I could find on the matter, you made clear that you were not willing to review items on the WaPo list for inaccuracies, so I'm curious about the basis for your claim that you have "tackled the WaPo list before." Perhaps I don't correctly understand the meaning of these words from that previous post, words that responded to basically the same request I made of you in my previous post in this thread:

• "If I actually cared enough to review them individually (I don't) I would be able to let you know."
  • C Mc
    C Mc Posts: 4,463

JUST WAIT UNTIL THE FULL MULLER REPORT IS RELEASED! ALL WILL COME OUT. CM

Truth went down to a stream one day and undressed for a cool refreshing swim. While Truth was swimming, a Lie came along and took off his clothes and stole the garments that belonged to Truth. The Lie dressed himself in the garments that belonged to Truth. The Lie paraded himself through the streets of the city dressed as Truth; a lie dressed up like the truth. Many of the people were impressed with the Lie. The Lie was so splendid and beautiful. He looked and sounded wonderful. A lie dressed up like the truth.

When Truth stepped out of the water and found his clothes had been stolen, Truth had to make a choice. He saw the garments the Lie had left behind. Truth said to himself, "I'd rather walk around naked than to walk around as a Lie. I'll just have to be what I am; the naked Truth".

Truth found truth shared. CM

The moral of the story? Don't be a Lie walking around dressed up like the truth. #areyouachristian