<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<rss version="2.0"
    xmlns:content="http://purl.org/rss/1.0/modules/content/"
    xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/"
    xmlns:atom="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom">
    <channel>
        <title>Catholic priesthood — Christian Debate</title>
        <link>https://christiandiscourse.net/index.php?p=/</link>
        <pubDate>Sat, 22 Aug 2026 22:10:14 +0000</pubDate>
        <language>en</language>
            <description>Catholic priesthood — Christian Debate</description>
    <atom:link href="https://christiandiscourse.net/index.php?p=/discussions/tagged/catholic-priesthood/feed.rss" rel="self" type="application/rss+xml"/>
    <item>
        <title>Sexual Misconduct Claims: St. John’s Seminary Shakeup</title>
        <link>https://christiandiscourse.net/index.php?p=/discussion/396/sexual-misconduct-claims-st-john-s-seminary-shakeup</link>
        <pubDate>Sun, 12 Aug 2018 08:45:54 +0000</pubDate>
        <category>News &amp; Current Events</category>
        <dc:creator>C Mc</dc:creator>
        <guid isPermaLink="false">396@/index.php?p=/discussions</guid>
        <description><![CDATA[<h1 data-id="st-john-s-seminary-shakeup-amid-probe-into-sexual-misconduct-claims">St. John’s Seminary Shakeup Amid Probe Into Sexual Misconduct Claims</h1>

<p>August 10, 2018 at 8:20 pmFiled Under: Archdiocese Of Boston, Cardinal Sean O'Malley, St. John's Seminary</p>

<p><a href="https://cbsloc.al/2vALwgK" rel="nofollow">https://cbsloc.al/2vALwgK</a></p>

<p>BOSTON (CBS) – The rector of St. John’s Seminary in Brighton has been placed on leave during an independent investigation into claims by two former seminarians of alleged sexual misconduct there.</p>

<p>In a statement, Cardinal Seán O’Malley said the two former seminarians of St. John’s Seminary recently posted allegations on social media sites, including the Archdiocese’s Facebook page, of their experiences and observations while at the seminary.</p>

<p>The former seminarians claim that “<strong>they witnessed and experienced activities which are directly contrary to the moral standards and requirements of formation for the Catholic priesthood</strong>,” O’Malley said.</p>

<p><img src="https://www.christiandiscourse.net/uploads/editor/th/y4w7fqbzxs8z.jpg" alt="" title="" /></p>

<p>Cardinal Sean O’Malley has launched a probe into claims by former seminarians regarding conduct at St. John’s Seminary in Brighton. (Photo by Franco Origlia/Getty Images)</p>

<p>O’Malley did not elaborate on the claims by the seminarians or the alleged activities they witnessed or experienced.</p>

<p>“At this time I am not able to verify or disprove these allegations,” O’Malley said. “As Archbishop of Boston, with responsibility for the integrity of the seminary and its compliance with the Church’s Program for Priestly Formation, I am committed to immediate action to address these serious matters.”</p>

<p>In a statement late Friday afternoon, Attorney Mitchell Garabedian, who is representing a former St. John’s seminarian, slammed the Archdiocese for “continuing to practice the cover up of sexual abuse.”</p>

<h2 data-id="the-recent-reporting-of-sexual-abuse-at-st-john-s-seminary-is-further-evidence-that-the-archdiocese-of-boston-is-continuing-to-practice-the-cover-up-of-sexual-abuse-and-will-not-practice-transparency-to-help-sexual-abuse-victims-heal-said-garabedian-who-previously-represented-several-victims-in-the-church-sex-abuse-scandal-the-archdiocese-of-boston-should-publically-release-all-records-and-information-relative-to-sexual-abuse-at-st-john-s-seminary-so-that-sexual-abuse-victims-can-try-to-heal">“The recent reporting of sexual abuse at St. John’s Seminary is further evidence that the Archdiocese of Boston is continuing to practice the cover-up of sexual abuse and will not practice transparency to help sexual abuse victims heal,” said Garabedian, who previously represented several victims in the church sex abuse scandal. “The Archdiocese of Boston should publically release all records and information relative to sexual abuse at St. John’s Seminary so that sexual abuse victims can try to heal.”</h2>

<h2 data-id="n-a"> </h2>

<h2 data-id="the-creation-of-an-investigatory-board-or-team-should-have-taken-place-decades-ago-garabedian-said-given-the-horrible-history-of-sexual-abuse-within-the-archdiocese-of-boston-it-should-come-as-no-surprise-that-sexual-abuse-has-taken-place-at-st-john-s-seminary">“The creation of an investigatory board or team should have taken place decades ago,” Garabedian said. “Given the horrible history of sexual abuse within the Archdiocese of Boston it should come as no surprise that sexual abuse has taken place at St. John’s Seminary.”...</h2>

<p>O’Malley said he has directed the group, “with due seriousness of their assignment,” to submit their findings to him “as soon as possible,” along with “recommendations to assure appropriate standards of professional behavior in compliance with Church teaching at all levels of seminary life.”</p>

<p>“The allegations made this week are a source of serious concern to me as Archbishop of Boston,” O’Malley said. <strong>“The ministry of the Catholic priesthood requires a foundation of trust with the people of the Church and the wider community in which our priests serve. I am determined that all our seminaries meet that standard of trust and provide the formation necessary for priests to live a demanding vocation of service in our contemporary society</strong>.</p>

<p>*************************************                  ***************              *****************         ***********       ***********</p>

<p>To me, this whole "Catholic priesthood, church sex abuse scandal and “the creation of an investigatory board or team", on behalf of the victims and the law, is equivalent to putting a band-aid over a bullet hole.  Oh, what horrid situation young seminarians have to live under in this and other Catholic Institutions! Why don't the Priests just confess, as they were taught and as others confessed (?) to them? CM</p>
]]>
        </description>
    </item>
   </channel>
</rss>
